Maurice Watkins has died.

Moriarty

Maurice Watkins has passed away at the age of 79. He had a long association with the club the highlights of which were his defence of Eric Cantona after the kung-fu incident at Palace and his being instrumental in brokering the deal that kept Fergie at United after he decided to retire. He saved us from Sven.

RIP Mr. Watkins.

https://www.manchestereveningnews.c...th-manchester-united-maurice-watkins-21320361

NYAS

Remember him also being crucial in getting the Tevez - Joorabchian shitshow sorted. RIP.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
RIP. Always sad when someone whom loves the club like that passes.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
RIP

Is it an urban legend that Watkins was the one who told Cantona what the English translation of seagull and trawler were when asked, or did he actually do that?

Jippy

Sleeps with tramps, bangs jacuzzis, dirty shoes
Staff
RIP

Is it an urban legend that Watkins was the one who told Cantona what the English translation of seagull and trawler were when asked, or did he actually do that?
I'm sure both Maurice and Ned Kelly, the security guy, claimed Cantona ran the quote by them.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
Used to know his son, nice guy he was. Best wishes to all the family.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
I'm sure both Maurice and Ned Kelly, the security guy, claimed Cantona ran the quote by them.
Well let's take it that he ran it by both!

What a story to tell your grandkids, eh? Imagine being able to say that, in some small way, you had a part in that line.

RIP Maurice.

Revaulx

Chair of Governors at my old school. Did a huge amount to raise money for scholarships for boys from poor families after the Direct Grant got withdrawn. I only met him a couple of times but know quite a few people who knew him for years and all seem to genuinely adore him.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
RIP Maurice Watkins. I hope the club do something proper to acknowledge everything that he’s done for it and the wider community