Mauricio Amadaeus Pochettino | Chelsea sack watch

Status
Not open for further replies.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
He wouldn't take any responsibility, he is at least consistent. Since the press begun to criticize him and ask question, he has deflected and made excuses for himself. Going as far as to claim that expectations were too high at PSG.
Sounds like Poch is becoming his old friend Mou. PSG may prove to be for Pochettino what Real Madrid was for Jose. Trust Man Utd to pick up the pair when they're both damaged goods! :lol:

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
He's walking the league and is still in the champions league. How is he underperforming this season?
Expectations are higher. They are struggling against french teams and usually get bailed out in the last minute. They should be dominating teams. They lost the league last season. I'm not really sure at all they can beat real madrid. It's a disjointed team and yes, looks poorly coached. They were better under Blanc and Tuchel.

Telsim

Now that I think about it I think he might even get sacked after PSG get butchered by Real Madrid in the CL.

90 + 5min

He's walking the league and is still in the champions league. How is he underperforming this season?
To lead one team league where one team has more money multiple times than rest of league doesn't impress anyone. Neither does how he somehow lost league last year. Achivement of the century in France looking at teams.

I have said many times. This guy is a good manager but thats it. Nothing more. Nothing extra. People talk about what he did in Tottenham like he came to a championship club. They were already full of internationals and always in top 6-7 before Pochetino even with managers like Redknapp, Ramos and Jol.

If the quote is right, I feel that he once again is showing that he can't handle any pressure. To throw young player like that so he can't be blamed is pathetic.

Morty_

Supports
Real Madrid
Now that I think about it I think he might even get sacked after PSG get butchered by Real Madrid in the CL.
So many are assuming that this will happen, but the truth is that RM aren't all that either, and PSG is a team who's gotten to semi-final and final in the previous 2 seasons while barely looking interested when playing domestic football.

Don't know who will go through, think it will be close.

tomaldinho1

I think PSG will beat them comfortably them and I don't particularly rate PSG - people are underestimating how bad LL has become last few years.

romufc

So many are assuming that this will happen, but the truth is that RM aren't all that either, and PSG is a team who's gotten to semi-final and final in the previous 2 seasons while barely looking interested when playing domestic football.

Don't know who will go through, think it will be close.
This is a problem from the coach. I have seen City coast to league titles and still play at a high level because Pep demands them to.

The problem with United is similar, our coaches sometimes cannot motivate our players to play games against smaller opposition.

Poch needs to do more, regardless.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
He wouldn't take any responsibility, he is at least consistent. Since the press begun to criticize him and ask question, he has deflected and made excuses for himself. Going as far as to claim that expectations were too high at PSG.
Was he like this at Spurs or before that at Southampton or Espanyol.

It strikes me that Poch is just very unhappy in the role for various reasons. The football PSG play is seemingly not in line with any sort of identity he's been known for too.

Pintu

Was Tuchel this good to average at PSG?
No, he wasn't. He had an arguably poorer side (especially the midfield) and he still won the league comfortably and won every possible Cup game. He was rotating in the Cup games and still delivered. He also took them to their first CL Final ever, only losing to an impressive record-breaking Bayern side. The only bad result he had in 2 and a half years was that very unlucky loss at home to United when VAR somehow bailed Olé out...

Tuchel's Paris wasn't as good as Blanc's (who had a better midfield) and there was criticism but it was still much better and more secure than what Emery did in the 2 seasons he spent there.

I am comparing it to Emery because it is a longer period. I haven't had the chance to watch enough PSG this season and I don't want to be judging Poch on what he did last season (only 5 months).

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Was he like this at Spurs or before that at Southampton or Espanyol.

It strikes me that Poch is just very unhappy in the role for various reasons. The football PSG play is seemingly not in line with any sort of identity he's been known for too.
Actually the football that PSG are playing is pretty much how Spurs played during their last year/months under Pochettino. People are stuck with the best and forgot the worst. Not that I want to compare him with Mourinho but if people only thought about the best version of Mourinho teams they would never talk about him as a a negative manager with boring teams.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
No, he wasn't. He had an arguably poorer side (especially the midfield) and he still won the league comfortably and won every possible Cup game. He was rotating in the Cup games and still delivered. He also took them to their first CL Final ever, only losing to an impressive record-breaking Bayern side. The only bad result he had in 2 and a half years was that very unlucky loss at home to United when VAR somehow bailed Olé out...

Tuchel's Paris wasn't as good as Blanc's (who had a better midfield) and there was criticism but it was still much better and more secure than what Emery did in the 2 seasons he spent there.

I am comparing it to Emery because it is a longer period. I haven't had the chance to watch enough PSG this season and I don't want to be judging Poch on what he did last season (only 5 months).
Sounds reasonable. I think a lot of people jumped on Poch since well, before even this season started. A lot of PSG fans just decided they don't like the guy. I'm sure that makes player power worse in the dressing room, they won't be ignorant to knowing the sentiment.

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
Sounds reasonable. I think a lot of people jumped on Poch since well, before even this season started. A lot of PSG fans just decided they don't like the guy. I'm sure that makes player power worse in the dressing room, they won't be ignorant to knowing the sentiment.
Of course they did, he lost the league title last season.

JPRouve

Scout
That's not exactly fair and I don't know why people keep doing this. PSG fans were largely happy to have him due to his past as a player, the issue is that he served them unappealing performances and when the press asked him about it, he had no issue blaming the fans for being too demanding.. He is lucky that PSG fans tend to support their club way longer than most fanbases in France, in Lyon, Marseille or Nice they would sing songs against him during every single games or throw things at the bench.

He'sRaldo

Terrible fit for PSG, and a good example of why top managers like Pep and Klopp wait and choose their clubs carefully.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Of course they did, he lost the league title last season.
That's not exactly fair and I don't know why people keep doing this. PSG fans were largely happy to have him due to his past as a player, the issue is that he served them unappealing performances and when the press asked him about it, he had no issue blaming the fans for being too demanding.. He is lucky that PSG fans tend to support their club way longer than most fanbases in France, in Lyon, Marseille or Nice they would sing songs against him during every single games or throw things at the bench.
From hearing the views in this thread and snippets of fan TV interviews, early on in this campaign he's had quite a lot of stick from fans who had decided to write him off. Even if it was this campaign early on and not toward the end of last, we're splitting hairs.
And saying it could have been worse doesn't really matter in the context of things. If they can be more heated on managers without reasonable basis that's a fan issue, but I don't think Poch is warm to being doubted so early on when his methods take a lot of time and buying into in order to be a success.

The minute he went to PSG I felt we wouldn't see a Poch's team stylistically and it's sort of panned out. I don't see any of his previous 3 managerial stints being similar to PSG and there are likely a few reasons behind that. The club is a poisoned chalice in my opinion.

AshRK

I still think he is a decent to good coach. His work at Spurs, especially from 2015 to 2018 was solid and they played some really good football. I was surprised he went to Psg. Psg unless you win a cl is a lose lose for the manager. I still think he will manage to get a decent job after PSG, whether that is United is there to be seen.

JPRouve

Scout
From hearing the views in this thread and snippets of fan TV interviews, early on in this campaign he's had quite a lot of stick from fans who had decided to write him off. Even if it was this campaign early on and not toward the end of last, we're splitting hairs.
And saying it could have been worse doesn't really matter in the context of things. If they can be more heated on managers without reasonable basis that's a fan issue, but I don't think Poch is warm to being doubted so early on when his methods take a lot of time and buying into in order to be a success.

The minute he went to PSG I felt we wouldn't see a Poch's team stylistically and it's sort of panned out. I don't see any of his previous 3 managerial stints being similar to PSG and there are likely a few reasons behind that. The club is a poisoned chalice in my opinion.
What do you mean not reasonable basis? The fan base hasn't turned openly on the manager, people have criticized the team between fans which is perfectly fair. You don't want them to just ignore glaring issues and act as if they didn't exist?

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
What do you mean not reasonable basis? The fan base hasn't turned openly on the manager, people have criticized the team between fans which is perfectly fair. You don't want them to just ignore glaring issues and act as if they didn't exist?
I know there are glaring issues, I just dont think that Poch is the sole reason for the issues.

Having star players thrust upon him and having autonomy taken away doesn't help.

JPRouve

Scout
I know there are glaring issues, I just dont think that Poch is the sole reason for the issues.

Having star players thrust upon him and having autonomy taken away doesn't help.
That makes no sense, unless I missed something he joined a top team with star players, they weren't thrust upon him. And he never had autonomy like the vast majority of head coaches, that was the nature of job before he took it.

JPRouve

Scout
I still think he is a decent to good coach. His work at Spurs, especially from 2015 to 2018 was solid and they played some really good football. I was surprised he went to Psg. Psg unless you win a cl is a lose lose for the manager. I still think he will manage to get a decent job after PSG, whether that is United is there to be seen.
I don't think anyone sensible question whether he is a good coach or not. The question was whether he is a great coach or just a good coach, a team like PSG reveals that, as does every other big clubs.

romufc

That makes no sense, unless I missed something he joined a top team with star players, they weren't thrust upon him. And he never had autonomy like the vast majority of head coaches, that was the nature of job before he took it.
This is the problem, people actually think managers don't do their research?

Every manager will know before they take charge, there is a possibility of a top star thrown at them.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
OK in your opinion does Poch have full autonomy in his selection, and no pressure above him to play certain star brand signings?

JPRouve

Scout
OK in your opinion does Poch have full autonomy in his selection, and no pressure above him to play certain star brand signings?
Yes. Why would Pochettino be the first PSG manager without full autonomy on selection? Where is that idea coming from, who is he supposed to use and isn't?

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Yes. Why would Pochettino be the first PSG manager without full autonomy on selection? Where is that idea coming from, who is he supposed to use and isn't?
I never said he was the first PSG manager without full autonomy. That said, I do think he's the first manager to be a slave for selection for certain players such as Messi in addition to whichever others had pressure thrust upon previous managers to be selected.

And I think the minute a single player has that much power, it becomes a mountain of a challenge for any manager. I actually don't think Klopp or Pep would join PSG for a few reasons and this being one of the biggest ones. Not having full autonomy is one thing, but being told who you cant take off or being pressured to play certain individuals when it's not clear they are buying into your methods is a completely different matter. The project ends before it starts as the dressing room knows who the pack leader is - and it's not the manager.

JPRouve

Scout
I never said he was the first PSG manager without full autonomy. That said, I do think he's the first manager to be a slave for selection for certain players such as Messi in addition to whichever others had pressure thrust upon previous managers to be selected.

And I think the minute a single player has that much power, it becomes a mountain of a challenge for any manager. I actually don't think Klopp or Pep would join PSG for a few reasons and this being one of the biggest ones. Not having full autonomy is one thing, but being told who you cant take off or being pressured to play certain individuals when it's not clear they are buying into your methods is a completely different matter. The project ends before it starts as the dressing room knows who the pack leader is - and it's not the manager.
I asked you why he would be the first. And Pochettino selections and the way PSG plays hasn't changed from last season without Messi. It makes no sense, it's not as if everything was going well until Messi arrived.

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
I asked you why he would be the first. And Pochettino selections and the way PSG plays hasn't changed from last season without Messi. It makes no sense, it's not as if everything was going well until Messi arrived.
It might be something to it that the star players are usually expected to play. Before this season that would have been Mbappe and Neymar, so a manager could set up his team around those two. That might now be more difficult with Messi also included as undroppable superstar.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Managers of a certain ilk who want to implement graft and pressing into a team can only do so if the entire dressing room buys in. Messi's introduction to the dressing room causes an element of player power, such that if that player doesn't really believe in these methods it can be contagious across the rest of the squad. And I think the balance of ego's in PSG is already too one sided - it's just gotten worse now.

I don't think Poch is free of blame - yes he should be more attacking, yes he should do better in the French Cup. But this role at PSG is always going to be a poisoned chalice for them - Leonardo is a nutty DoF and the collection at egos at PSG is going to cause issues for most managers who want their players to work hard. Poch takes blame in either not convincing them to buy into his methods enough, or not adapting in his style with better results in cups. I agree with this.

What I do not agree with, is PSG's stint to be used to write off a 49 year old manager who chronically overperformed in all the jobs he was given up to that point. Especially when PSG is a circus in itself.

Frankly posts that say he's a fraud or he should be as far away from the United post as possible are way too extreme and borderline laughable. Ten Hag is doing a madness right now but there was a time where Poch at Spurs was extremely good too.

JPRouve

Scout
It might be something to it that the star players are usually expected to play. Before this season that would have been Mbappe and Neymar, so a manager could set up his team around those two. That might now be more difficult with Messi also included as undroppable superstar.
What was the excuse before that?

JPRouve

Scout
Managers of a certain ilk who want to implement graft and pressing into a team can only do so if the entire dressing room buys in. Messi's introduction to the dressing room causes an element of player power, such that if that player doesn't really believe in these methods it can be contagious across the rest of the squad.

I don't think Poch is free of blame - yes he should be more attacking, yes he should do better in the French Cup. But this role at PSG is always going to be a poisoned chalice for them - Leonardo is a nutty DoF and the collection at egos at PSG is going to cause issues for most managers who want their players to work heard. Poch takes blame in either not convincing them to buy into his methods enough, or not adapting in his style with better results in cups. I agree with this.

What I do not agree with, is PSG's stint to be used to write off a 49 year old manager who chronically overperformed in all the jobs he was given up to that point. Especially when PSG is a circus in itself.
Again what was the excuse before Messi? And he routinely used the likes of Gueye, Danilo, Di Maria, Herrera in his starting eleven, that's more grafters than most team put in their starting eleven and they were shoddy. Also the issue for PSG is when it comes to moving the ball effectively from defense to the attack, that's their main problem. Their problem isn't about graft and pressing, they have the ball, they don't know what to do with it.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
Again what was the excuse before Messi? And he routinely used the likes of Gueye, Danilo, Di Maria, Herrera in his starting eleven, that's more grafters than most team put in their starting eleven and they were shoddy. Also the issue for PSG is when it comes to moving the ball effectively from defense to the attack, that's their main problem. Their problem isn't about graft and pressing, they have the ball, they don't know what to do with it.
This sounds eerily like the criticism people used to make of Mourinho...

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
I didn't say Poch is free of blame. I don't know how many times I can repeat this. If you want to criticize him under the microscope and blast him when he joined the club for half a season last year then go for it.

What I'm saying is he is a manager who built his pedigree and style that's quite clearly seen at Espanyol, Southampton at Tottenham. The inability to show it at PSG isn't just an issue from his side. There are other factors and that job will be a poisoned chalice for anyone. Smart managers would likely avoid it.

JPRouve

Scout
I didn't say Poch is free of blame. I don't know how many times I can repeat this. If you want to criticize him under the microscope and blast him when he joined the club for half a season last year then go for it.

What I'm saying is he is a manager who built his pedigree and style that's quite clearly seen at Espanyol, Southampton at Tottenham. The inability to show it at PSG isn't just an issue from his side. There are other factors and that job will be a poisoned chalice for anyone. Smart managers would likely avoid it.
Lets make it pretty simple. People pointed at issues in PSG during the months that followed his appointment, he didn't fix these issues in a little bit more than a year, these issues predate Messi's arrival. And I don't care about what he has done in a distant past. What I care about is what I see him do now which by the way matches with what was happening at Tottenham during his last year at the club.

Now if you think that it's not fair to observe things and describe them as they are happening then there is nothing for us to talk about.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Lets make it pretty simple. People pointed at issues in PSG during the months that followed his appointment, he didn't fix these issues in a little bit more than a year, these issues predate Messi's arrival. And I don't care about what he has done in a distant past. What I care about is what I see him do now which by the way matches with what was happening at Tottenham during his last year at the club.

Now if you think that it's not fair to observe things and describe them as they are happening then there is nothing for us to talk about.
I've been keeping it simple - before Poch ever joined Spurs my thoughts were the PSG role is a poisoned chalice for any manager. I wouldn't gauge competence on that alone - it's a circus of a club where players rarely, if ever, buy into a system that makes them look like a European power-horse.

JPRouve

Scout
I've been keeping it simple - before Poch ever joined Spurs my thoughts were the PSG role is a poisoned chalice for any manager. I wouldn't gauge competence on that alone - it's a circus of a club where players rarely, if ever, buy into a system that makes them look like a European power-horse.
Players had no issue applying Tuchel's instruction and he was constantly tweaking things. He used players out of their natural positions without problem. Blanc had a very functional team that a clear system, as did Ancelotti. I'm generally baffled by these completely made up ideas. The only issue that you will have at PSG is off field and it's that you have to deal with certain agents and family members that are a pain in the ass, the club isn't insulated.

BorisManUtd

Well even if he becomes our manager, we won't be as excited as we would've been 2 or 3 years ago.

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir

"The club's management has informed Mauricio Pochettino that his adventure at PSG will end at the end of the season, Abdellah Boulma tells me."

Who could've possibly imagined?!

Status
Not open for further replies.