Mauricio Amadaeus Pochettino | Chelsea sack watch

Status
Not open for further replies.

Santoryo

ripping the reward
And we have the likes of Rashford, Ronaldo, Greenwood and Martial, who don't work back either, hence our imbalance.
Aside from Ronaldo you can get the rest to work hard if you want. People have quickly forgotten how Rashford used to run like a mad man all over the place, Greenwood is a young lad and could easily be instructed and thought to press properly and even Martial can press if forced to.

Santoryo

ripping the reward
Easy. Play 433. Bruno at LW, Sancho RW. Give Rashford, Greenwood and Martial the same message Pep give his players; you dont run, you dont play. (We could get away with giving Ronaldo a free pass.)
Pretty much. Before Pep, People would have never imagined the likes of De Bruyne, Aguero being able to press. They were seen as your typical skilled player with no hard work. Then Pep happened.

ShinjiNinja26

This all hinges on Zidane’s willingness to join PSG mid season, otherwise there’s zero chance they let Pochettino go without having a replacement lined up and ready to step in immediately. Zidane could potentially feck us over twice in the space of a week. :lol:

Toshey

Supports
Levski Sofia
Honestly don’t care if he can immediately fix our defence.
We need to learn how to attack asap, we don’t create nearly enough clear chances.
With the likes of Rashford and Sancho on the wings and Bruno and VDB/Pogba in midfield, this Manchester United should be creating chance after chance.

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
Who can PSG replace him with? If "impossible", then I can see this hitting a snag.
I'm available at any time. How hard can it be? Just yell at a bunch of size M footballers and give a pat on the back occasionally. For everything else I'll just consult the Redcafe PSG thread

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
I don't know why @JPRouve think Neymar should be considered a hard worker when it's the contrary is a blatant fact. Being 5% less lazy then Messi still qualifies as being lazy.
Do you think that Mané is a hard worker?

Santoryo

ripping the reward
This all hinges on Zidane’s willingness to join PSG mid season, otherwise there’s zero chance they let Pochettino go without having a replacement lined up and ready to step in immediately. Zidane could potentially feck us over twice in the space of a week. :lol:
:lol:

Bale Bale Bale

Supports
Spurs
Arsenal bottled that league when the won against Leicester only to lose to our u23s, not Tottenham.
Yeah, history has been completely rewritten for that season.

Arsenal were top on new year's day, 2 points clear of Leicester, 3 of Man City and 6 of Spurs. They were still top by matchday 22. Spurs weren't top at any point and the closest they ever got was to within two points. The games they lost at the end of the season were once the title was gone but they wouldn't have won it anyway.

The following season Spurs finished on 86 points, which prior to City and Liverpool setting records would have been enough to win the title more often than not, unfortunately for them though Conte's Chelsea managed 93 points. Spurs also finished that season with a +60 goal difference, which is more than even any Man Utd side has managed. Pochettino turned Tottenham into Champions League regulars. He took them to a Champions League final, imagine suggesting that 10 years ago.

Santoryo

ripping the reward
Do you think that Mané is a hard worker?
Yes. I see him hunt the guys with the ball near him and doesn't just let them stroll past him without as much as even pretending to care by sticking his leg out or anything(This is more a shot at Messi's non existent effort to work hard or defend).

Pirlo'sBeard

Poch is guaranteed to join United now. He's always wanted the United job and he's not happy at PSG. Sir Alex likes him. He plays attacking football, brings through youth and wants something long term.

I'm happy with either him or Ten Hag. If we get Poch, Ten Hag likely joins City in two years.

justboy68

Arsenal were top on new year's day, 2 points clear of Leicester, 3 of Man City and 6 of Spurs. They were still top by matchday 22. Spurs weren't top at any point and the closest they ever got was to within two points. The games they lost at the end of the season were once the title was gone but they wouldn't have won it anyway.

The following season Spurs finished on 86 points, which prior to City and Liverpool setting records would have been enough to win the title more often than not, unfortunately for them though Conte's Chelsea managed 93 points. Spurs also finished that season with a +60 goal difference, which is more than even any Man Utd side has managed. Pochettino turned Tottenham into Champions League regulars. He took them to a Champions League final, imagine suggesting that 10 years ago.
He did a fantastic job at Spurs and anyone suggesting otherwise is looney. He's the only manager in my lifetime that has actually made you guys a seriously respected team and contender (no offence). We'll see if Conte can do similarly.

Also the bolded part is an impressive stat, hadn't realized that one.

L1nk

Everyone seems to be saying it now, this has gotta be a brief from Pochettino’s camp…

Santoryo

ripping the reward

Exactly. There has been some revisionism going on in this thread in attempts to give ones arguments more weight.

MiracleInMadrid

Given that he will join us midseason, when do people reckon he'll come in? Within a week or two? Or maybe PSG will want him to stay until the winter break in League 1 mid-december?

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
Would be quite funny for Poch lovers if he does come here midseason - as he still wouldn't have won anything of real merit!!

The thought of Pochettino in the dugout fills me with absolute dread - the fans distrust of Ole bred because of his lack of major trophies, yet here we are potentially eyeing up another manager with zero major trophies to his name.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Yes. I see him hunt the guys with the ball near him and doesn't just let them stroll past him without as much as even pretending to care by sticking his leg out or anything(This is more a shot at Messi's non existent effort to work hard or defend).
So you consider that two players with similar pressures, tackles and interceptions per 90 are on opposite sides of the spectrum?

https://fbref.com/en/players/c691bfe2/Sadio-Mane
https://fbref.com/en/players/69384e5d/Neymar
https://fbref.com/en/players/e342ad68/Mohamed-Salah

Santoryo

ripping the reward
Would be quite funny for Poch lovers if he does come here midseason - as he still wouldn't have won anything of real merit!!

The thought of Pochettino in the dugout fills me with absolute dread - the fans distrust of Ole bred because of his lack of major trophies, yet here we are potentially eyeing up another manager with zero major trophies to his name.
Posts like these are utterly ridiculous. Comparing Poch to Ole is just a waste of everyone's time if you're trying to argue any case.

Poch has a body of work behind him that suggest he's the sort of manager people on these very boards have been raving for. He's managed Espaniol, Southampton and Tottenham and had done an excellent job in all of them and we got to see the way he gets his teams to play which is how we've been wanting to play for a while now.

You people love bringing up this trophy less argument without looking at all the nuances. He managed Espaniol, Southampton and Spurs, not Barcelona, Madrid or United.

L1nk

No it's not because of the lack of trophies, it's because his only experience beforehand was Molde and getting Cardiff relegated, even if you give him the benefit of the doubt on the relegation he had them in absolute freefall in the Championship before getting sacked. That's why there was doubts really

Keefy18

Don't think it's comparable to what Fergie did with Aberdeen to be honest.
Semi Final followed by 2 Group stages? That is brilliant, then our standards have dropped further than I thought.
Talking about ridiculous comments. What Ten Haag has done is not comparable to what Alex Ferguson did. He took a tiny team to league titles and European trophies. Ten Haag has took the biggest club in Holland and won league titles.

They’ve got out of the group stages once. That is not doing brilliantly year after year.
Different times but quite comparable.

Ajax are fighting the financial muscle of PSG, Real, Chelsea, Man City etc etc and making a Semi Final and this season unbeaten thus far?

I highly doubt Fergie in his pomp could manage to do the same, I mean in nearly 30 years at United he struggled to do it twice. That's the cold harsh reality but folks today seem to think winning trophies is a piece of pish.

pascell

Easy. Play 433. Bruno at LW, Sancho RW. Give Rashford, Greenwood and Martial the same message Pep give his players; you dont run, you dont play. (We could get away with giving Ronaldo a free pass.)
We won't have anyone left to field if that's the case, these players have been instructed to press before but fail to actively do it on the pitch.
Aside from Ronaldo you can get the rest to work hard if you want. People have quickly forgotten how Rashford used to run like a mad man all over the place, Greenwood is a young lad and could easily be instructed and thought to press properly and even Martial can press if forced to.
Used to, I don't believe for a second that he was told not to press by Ole and the coaches, it just boils down to the player and if he wants to. These players know that even if the manager drops them, they're held in such high regard by the higher ups, that they can kick up a fuss and get the manager shown the door.

Berbaclass

Fallen Muppet. Lest we never forget
Different times but quite comparable.

Ajax are fighting the financial muscle of PSG, Real, Chelsea, Man City etc etc and making a Semi Final and this season unbeaten thus far?

I highly doubt Fergie in his pomp could manage to do the same, I mean in nearly 30 years at United he struggled to do it twice. That's the cold harsh reality but folks today seem to think winning trophies is a piece of pish.
Fergie and Aberdeen were fighting Celtic and Rangers, never mind the European sides. I don’t think it’s at all comparable.

Santoryo

ripping the reward
No it's not because of the lack of trophies, it's because his only experience beforehand was Molde and getting Cardiff relegated, even if you give him the benefit of the doubt on the relegation he had them in absolute freefall in the Championship before getting sacked. That's why there was doubts really
I'm fairly sure the people attempting to compare Poch to Ole due to lack of trophies are simply being disingenuous. They ought to know we're talking about 2 managers with vastly different pedigrees here.

Woodenlung

Pochettino clearly wants the job. I'm buzzing with anticipation to see how Woodward and the Glazers feck this up.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Here he’d have to accommodate for Maguire, Shaw and Wan Bissaka not really defending.
I'm going to suggest this has more to do with our tactical setup

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
I'm fairly sure the people attempting to compare Poch to Ole due to lack of trophies are simply being disingenuous. They ought to know we're talking about 2 managers with vastly different pedigrees here.
You are assuming logic and common sense are applied to these arguments on the interweb?

RomfordRed75

I think the fans distrust of Ole was that he didn't have the experience and had only managed Cardiff and Molde, could you imagine getting someone who wasn't a club legend with that sort of pedigree? It would never have happened.

pascell

If he has any aspiration for his career then he better stay away from PSG.
He could dominate the CL with that PSG squad if he got them playing his way. Plus it's another banker of a league title win each season.
Ronaldo apart those other players do more tracking back than Neymar and MBappe they’re given a free licence to stay upfront
They do but then the PL is much more intense and aggressive than Ligue 1. I wouldn't say Rashford, Greenwood and Martial even track back that much either, it's why we get overloaded down our wings.

shaky

I agree. I understand the arguments that he had less to work with, but that doesn't automatically mean he'll be great with more. Apart from the CL final, he reached one league cup final in his entire time at Spurs, which he lost. I'd expect any decent top 4 team to have a better domestic cup record than that over 5 years or so. The fact that we have been so poor for many years also helped Spurs' league positions. If we had been more competent, they would have been lower down the table a few times. Have we made him look better than he is? Happy to give him a chance if he ends up here, but I won't hold my breath that he'll get much more out of our players than the previous few managers. Will be delighted if he can prove me wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.