Mauricio Amadaeus Pochettino | Chelsea sack watch

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matt007a

His record against the top 6 is poor as shown above but I suspect some of those games were at Southampton. Spurs probably still have a shocking record against the top 6 even now.

It would also be unfair to suggest he hasn't learnt anything since then. He's taken time off to analyse and gone into PSG, who to be fair beat City very recently.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Not a very exciting appointment. He did wonderfully at developing Spurs squad but tactically he's much more conservative than people might think. Ten Hag sounded much more fun from an entertainment perspective based on people's views/the hype. With Pochettino it feels like it's in line with the functional Mancheter United we've seen under Jose and Ole where's we need someone to coach some real excellence in possession to this team

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff
Not exactly what we want... if we can get Pochettino asap, then I guess it's fine, we'll see what happens. If we're waiting until the end of the season for Poch, then that's just throwing away a season for a very "meh" option to come on which makes no sense.
our post-Fergie managers PPG while at United (league stats only).

OppositionDavid MoyesLouis van GaalJose MourinhoOle Gunnar Solskjær
Arsenal2 (2)1.75 (4)1.6 (5)0.4 (5)
Chelsea0.5 (2)0.75 (4)1.4 (5)1.8 (5)
Liverpool0 (2)3 (4)1.2 (5)0.5 (6)
Man City0 (2)1.75 (4)0.8 (5)1.67 (6)
Tottenham0.5 (2)1.75 (4)1.2 (5)2.17 (6)

and Pochettino's stats while just at Spurs and in the league (so not including Southampton)

Arsenal: 1.36 (11)
Chelsea: 1.4 (10)
Liverpool: 0.64 (11)
Man City: 1 (11)
Man Utd: 1.18 (10)

Nick7

and Pochettino's stats while just at Spurs and in the league (so not including Southampton)

Should have kept van Gaal then it seems.

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff
Should have kept van Gaal then it seems.
His record against the 'top' sides was very good on the whole... other than in the cup competitions where we couldn't get a win against Liverpool in the EL. Unfortunately was the rest of the teams in the league, particularly in the bottom half where we drew/lost too many games.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Bit underwhelming. I don't think our squad profile fits him either, he's better with work-horses. Can't see guys like Martial functioning under him.
Martial would have been lucky to even be here beyond another summer transfer window. I really wouldn't worry about whether or not players like Martial would function under whoever the next manager is. The question is whether the likes of Varane, Maguire, Shaw, Bruno, Rashford, Greenwood and Sancho can and they all absolutely could function under Poch

the_cliff

Bit underwhelming. I don't think our squad profile fits him either, he's better with work-horses. Can't see guys like Martial functioning under him.
I would say it's the opposite, Martial is definitely a profile of player Poch would enjoy. In fact, iirc Spurs were in for Martial when Poch was their manager when there were rumours of Mourinho trying to sell.

EDIT:
Yeah Poch did try to sign him:

2cents

Historiographer, and obtainer of rare antiquities
Scout
Martial would have been lucky to even be here beyond another summer transfer window. I really wouldn't worry about whether or not players like Martial would function under whoever the next manager is. The question is whether the likes of Varane, Maguire, Shaw, Bruno, Rashford, Greenwood and Sancho can and they all absolutely could function under Poch
Weirdly enough, wasn't Martial regularly linked to Spurs when Poch was there?

MyOnlySolskjaer

Creator of Player Performance threads
Not sure I see it with our wide forwards, they don't put the effort that Son, Sissoko or Eriksen used to. Either he drills it into them, but I don't see guys like Greenwood or Rashford with that mentality currently, part of why we are so disjointed at times.

charlenefan

Weirdly enough, wasn't Martial regularly linked to Spurs when Poch was there?
Well yeah because a club like Spurs is Martial's level, he's been stealing a wage here since he arrived (bar 1 or 2 good (not great) seasons)

Verified Bird Expert
Scout
I don't understand Poch's situation. If he has really said he would join us if asked then surely a club of PSG's wealth and stature would have enough self-respect to sack him straight off? I doubt the reports a bit to be honest, and wonder what he has actually said to PSG, or anyone else.

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
I don't understand Poch's situation. If he has really said he would join us if asked then surely a club of PSG's wealth and stature would have enough self-respect to sack him straight off? I doubt the reports a bit to be honest, and wonder what he has actually said to PSG, or anyone else.
Why would they sack him when we'd probably be willing to pay for him? Not to mention they have a huge game tomorrow in the CL.

charlenefan

Not sure I see it with our wide forwards, they don't put the effort that Son, Sissoko or Eriksen used to. Either he drills it into them, but I don't see guys like Greenwood or Rashford with that mentality currently.
Both Rashford and Sancho will do the hard graft, not sure why you'd have a question mark over Rashford in that regards (his body may not have allowed him to in recent times but now he's back fit again...). Greenwood long term is a CF and can absolutely match the work rate Kane did under Poch

pocco

loco
Don't forget to mention his time at Southampton where he successfully implemented his high energy, high pressing football. Some people simply want to pretend Poch has no pedigree for some weird reasons. The guy is proven in the PL and plays the sort of football everyone in here craves.
I agree. Hopefully he will convince them himself soon enough.

charlenefan

I think he'll be manager by the time we play Chelsea.
I think there could be something in this it happening during the winter shutdown in France (so over Christmas)

Problem for us though is navigating a period which could see us dumped out of the UCL and being miles off the top 4 before that

Verified Bird Expert
Scout
Why would they sack him when we'd probably be willing to pay for him? Not to mention they have a huge game tomorrow in the CL.
Self-respect, as I said. What do PSG fans think, are they happy being second-choice, if they believe it? If our manager said he would rather be somewhere else I'd think 'well feck off then' straight off. Maybe it's just me. Or it's made up paper talk in the first place.

Dominos

I dread getting him just because the attitude towards him on here is already so negative. He won't be afford any poor performances or poor results as people are looking for their "I told you so" moment. It will be tiresome.

Rocksy

Supports
Blackburn Rovers
I think the squad suits Pochettino, once the players are up to his levels of fitness. Ronaldo would probably be an issue but other than that I think it’s a good match. Rashford and Greenwood would benefit from playing in a pressing system every week, or they will end up stagnating (Rashford has already IMO and has some bad habits like shooting all the time). Sancho should be much better under Pochettino as well. I think there’s plenty more who would be useful in a Pochettino 4-3-3 or 4-2-3-1.

pocco

loco
No, we won't pump any break, he isn't a winner. The Spurs team that he managed was on paper very talented and he didn't even win a cup. What is disingenuous is to pretend that Spurs weren't mainly the 4th-5th best team before Pochettino joined them and act as if he took a bottom table team to incredible heights.
Spurs weren't as good before Poch and haven't been as good since Poch. I think it is pretty damn obvious to anybody with eyes that he did a good job there. The team they had wasn't great and he spent very little. It's mad that he is being judged for actually getting that Spurs side to 2nd place/CL Final as some sort of failure.

Amadaeus

Pochémon Fan Club Chairman
These poch rumors might be smokescreen. I can't see him leaving psg for Manchester United. Coaching Messi is a dream for most managers. But then again, you can say that with Ronaldo as well. It is insulting to think that Pochettino will leave psg mid season when his job isn't under pressure. It will show that psg is a small club if that is the case. I don't believe Pochettino will do that unless he is forced out.

Moreover, he has been doing well this season and could break ligue 1 record for the most wins. These rumor appeared before when they said Pochettino wanted to come back to spurs, but those rumors was shown to be false. I believe unless psg force him out, then I don't see him coming until the season is over or after he gets knocked out of the champion league.

charlenefan

I dread getting him just because the attitude towards him on here is already so negative. He won't be afford any poor performances or poor results as people are looking for their "I told you so" moment. It will be tiresome.
Yep I said the same a few weeks back as well

Devil may care

He must have a presser due as PSG play City on Wednesday, hopefully he shuts the rumours down, but it's a bit worrying that PSG haven't piped up with a hands off warning, they usually don't like their toys linked with other clubs unless they want rid of them.

pocco

loco
Self-respect, as I said. What do PSG fans think, are they happy being second-choice, if they believe it? If our manager said he would rather be somewhere else I'd think 'well feck off then' straight off. Maybe it's just me. Or it's made up paper talk in the first place.
PSG are perhaps, maybe, one team that would tell him to sling his hook for being interested in another job. I doubt they are party to anything if it's true though and will wait to hear from him. You seem to be assuming he said all this in public, which obviously isn't the case.

youmeletsfly

Haha, LVG bossed liverpool like a fecking king.

Giggsyking

that LVG record vs the scousers :drool:

justboy68

Seems like it will be that way for anyone but Ten Hag. I'm fully on board with Ten Hag being number one option but it's silly for people to go all in as if it's the only possible option and everyone else is shit. There's no walk of life where you always get your top choice. Poch is a solid choice who everyone should get behind and at least give him a chance. I've no doubt the vast majority of our fans would.

Nick7

It's going to be like that for any manager we hire after Ole. The partisanship on here for the last two and a half years was always going to make post Ole a messy time.

Verified Bird Expert
Scout
PSG are perhaps, maybe, one team that would tell him to sling his hook for being interested in another job. I doubt they are party to anything if it's true though and will wait to hear from him.
Yeah, although it's likely just me not being able to get my head round it. Poch wouldn't be my first choice but I'd much prefer him to Zidane, and however good Rodgers might be it would be very hard to get over his Liverpool connection.

Status
Not open for further replies.