Mauricio Amadaeus Pochettino | Chelsea sack watch

Status
Not open for further replies.

crossy1686

career ending
He must have a presser due as PSG play City on Wednesday, hopefully he shuts the rumours down, but it's a bit worrying that PSG haven't piped up with a hands off warning, they usually don't like their toys linked with other clubs unless they want rid of them.
I think it's well known that he's fallen out with Leonardo, the PSG board would love Zidane in charge, to the point the owners brother is posting Tweets about him being 'his manager' or whatever it was. Then you've got the state of the lunatics running the asylum over there with Messi, Neymar, Mbappe etc getting whatever the feck they want whenever they want. It really is an impossible job for anyone that isn't Zidane in my opinion, and it doesn't reflect badly on Pochettino for wanting to get the feck out before they give him the bullet.

KingCavani

If Poch wants to come and by all accounts he does then this should be done in the next 24 hours.

If PSG are difficult just indicate to his agent that Utd will pay the money left on his contract and he can resign. Don’t get cute or overthink this, just get him in.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
I dread getting him just because the attitude towards him on here is already so negative. He won't be afford any poor performances or poor results as people are looking for their "I told you so" moment. It will be tiresome.
You ain't wrong.

But this goes for any realistic option, I'm afraid. There will be a significant number of vocal posters who won't give the new man a chance whatsoever.

Ten Hag is probably the least divisive candidate - but mainly because he's less of a known entity for most, and even he will have a segment against him (for not being proven - or just for not being their favourite candidate).

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
Yeah, although it's likely just me not being able to get my head round it. Poch wouldn't be my first choice but I'd much prefer him to Zidane, and however good Rodgers might be it would be practically impossible get over his Liverpool connection. He'd have to win the title or the Champions League immediately for me to look at him as anything other than Being Liverpool documentary star Brentan Rodgers.
Fixed it for you! :lol:

I'm not the biggest fan of Poch myself. However, there's no contest for me if its Poch vs Brentan.

Jezpeza

This would welcome in another cycle of mediocrity
yeah. If trophies is a barometer then a hundred percent we know every day he would spend in the job is wasted before he even takes over

crossy1686

career ending
I dread getting him just because the attitude towards him on here is already so negative. He won't be afford any poor performances or poor results as people are looking for their "I told you so" moment. It will be tiresome.
I've previously been against the appointment of Pochettino because I don't think he has what it takes to drag a team over the final hurdle, I think the EL final last season would have probably gone the same way under him as it did with Ole. But if he's appointed I'll be fully behind him and happy for him to prove me wrong, I just hope being at PSG has taught him a few things about elite mindset and expectations, if it has we should be good if he joins us.

macheda14

Obviously football has changed in the last few years so styles from then may not fit. But if you look at how his spurs team set up at their peak, we have pretty much the squad to accommodate it.

Gandalf

PSG are perhaps, maybe, one team that would tell him to sling his hook for being interested in another job. I doubt they are party to anything if it's true though and will wait to hear from him. You seem to be assuming he said all this in public, which obviously isn't the case.
Whilst PSG may well be happy to ditch him, particularly if he is making eyes at United, I doubt even they with all of their wealth would simply tell him to sling his hook. United can afford to pay a heavy compensation figure if he is who they want and PSG will wring every penny out of us that they can get. Poch is not my first choice but if he is the clubs first choice and there is a chance to get him now then we should be going all in and not being timid about the decision as we so frequently are. Carrick and co are part of the problem and need replacing asap and an interim just invites more issues down the line and the dread scenario of another new manager bounce and the clown car that runs this place jumping into a full time contract with the wrong candidate again on the back of a couple of a good wins.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Spurs weren't as good before Poch and haven't been as good since Poch. I think it is pretty damn obvious to anybody with eyes that he did a good job there. The team they had wasn't great and he spent very little. It's mad that he is being judged for actually getting that Spurs side to 2nd place/CL Final as some sort of failure.
They weren't as good but they weren't bad or far from that level. The point isn't against Pochettino but against the exaggerations around Pochettino and Spurs as a club. And they finished second once, they also reached higher than round of 16 once, it wasn't their regular results in that competition.

One can appreciate the fact that Pochettino is a good, reliable manager without inflating his records or abilities.

Moriarty

Fixed it for you! :lol:

I'm not the biggest fan of Poch myself. However, there's no contest for me if its Poch vs Brentan.
Me too. There's no way I want an ex-Liverpool manager here - and yes, I am mindful that Matt Busby played for them. Poch knows the English game, his Spurs side played the kind of football we admired, and even though he hasn't yet won a pot, I think he would be a great fit for us.

Devil may care

I think it's well known that he's fallen out with Leonardo, the PSG board would love Zidane in charge, to the point the owners brother is posting Tweets about him being 'his manager' or whatever it was. Then you've got the state of the lunatics running the asylum over there with Messi, Neymar, Mbappe etc getting whatever the feck they want whenever they want. It really is an impossible job for anyone that isn't Zidane in my opinion, and it doesn't reflect badly on Pochettino for wanting to get the feck out before they give him the bullet.
I'm aware of things at mercenary FC, I just don't want Pochettino here with his soulless, identity free approach, so tired of these passive drones managing us, all we are is an escape for him as while we are incompetent we do provide a cosy environment for a manager where expectations are low. Whether PSG will see Zidane as a bigger swinging dick than Messi, Neymar and Leonardo I don't know, I just want them to hold steady for the rest of the season so we don't activate escape pod FC and continue our decent into being the most boring big club in Europe.

KingCavani

Based on what? The fact he couldn't win them the league in half a season last year?
Genuinely some brain breaking takes in here.

Criticising him for not winning trophies at fecking Spurs.

When you point out that he won the French Cup and that he’s currently 11 points clear in the league having dropped only 5 points this season they’ll just say that’s PSG and doesn’t count.

The profile of the club suddenly matters when it’s convenient to him. Ridiculous.

groovyalbert

it's a mute point
Who can PSG replace him with? If "impossible", then I can see this hitting a snag.
Only partly joking, but they are a team of big egos who don't really have a style of football - so they need a manager who is good at handling the personalities and uniting the squad.

They also don't have any desire or urge to press/work hard off the ball... they are ready for Ole.Ole's conduire le bus.

passing-wind

That CL final run was a fluke, they were outplayed in multiple of those games but made it through. Fair enough, but he lost anyway and didn't lay a glove on Liverpool in the final so it's hardly some achievement when they ultimately lost. They were absolute garbage in the league that year too.
To some extent I think the level of spurs is relevant, who would have anticipated them to be in the UCL finals. They consistently finished in the top four. Context is important, if you deem those things to be inadequate, than Ole spending 450 million and crashing out multiple European league competitions should be considered an absolute catastrophic failure with his stint at United.

crossy1686

career ending
That CL final run was a fluke, they were outplayed in multiple of those games but made it through. Fair enough, but he lost anyway and didn't lay a glove on Liverpool in the final so it's hardly some achievement when they ultimately lost. They were absolute garbage in the league that year too.
You could seriously apply that sentence to United under Fergie at multiple points in his tenure. Not saying there's a comparison there but winning games is the most important thing, and he did that for the most part without being back in the transfer market at all by Levy

Guess he wants the job....welcome to perpetual top four ladies and gents.
I'm not totally sold on Poch but he is essentially what Klopp was a few years ago. Good manager, gets you playing good football, always falls at the last hurdle.

Now look at him.

Jezpeza

Genuinely some brain breaking takes in here.

Criticising him for not winning trophies at fecking Spurs.

When you point out that he won the French Cup and that he’s currently 11 points clear in the league having dropped only 5 points this season they’ll just say that’s PSG and doesn’t count.

The profile of the club suddenly matters when it’s convenient to him. Ridiculous.
he needed low 80’s points at spurs to beat leicester to the title. And didnt. He lost numerous quarters, semis and a final. He had a shocking record against big clubs. Will pochettino guide us to 90 odd points to win a league? No. Would you back him tactically 1 on 1 in a final against klopp or pep or tuchel? No. Hes a good coach for a leicester or aston villa type team. We’ve just sacked a manager who can get top 4 but will never lift a trophy, why appoint someone we know will achieve exactly the same? Hes not up to it

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Thats he's willing to walk away from PSG immediately speaks volumes as to how attractive the position is.

Dobba

Hurry up and appoint him so we can get his 18 months of failure, whilst the Cafe tells us what a great achievement top 4 and no trophies with the state of our squad has suddenly become, out of our system and get a proper manager in.

SirAF

Ageist
Insane if he’s willing to join mid-season, but that would be absolute perfect.

Josh 76

he needed low 80’s points at spurs to beat leicester to the title. And didnt. He lost numerous quarters, semis and a final. He had a shocking record against big clubs. Will pochettino guide us to 90 odd points to win a league? No. Would you back him tactically 1 on 1 in a final against klopp or pep or tuchel? No. Hes a good coach for a leicester or aston villa type team. We’ve just sacked a manager who can get top 4 but will never lift a trophy, why appoint someone we know will achieve exactly the same? Hes not up to it
Why is everyone criticising him for Spurs losing the title to Leicester? I just can’t get my head round it.

How far were Klopp, Mourhino, Wenger and Pelligrini that season ?

Swedish_Plumber

By all accounts he wants to be here. And he is a good manager, so that’s positive.

His fate is tied to the board like the many of other managers though. And with Woodward staying on now too I can’t wait for his ineptness to rub Poch the wrong way.

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
he was a point behind lille when he took over. Whoops!
Yeah and they had a very good coach that had established his principles there. Is a new manager not allowed time to implement their ideas? Trying to make this argument now when he's currently way out ahead in his first full season is pointless. Even Conte said himself recently that any manager would struggle there. Tuchel had them in 3rd, gets canned and wins CL with Chelsea, taking them on a great run in the league also. Then he now has them at the top of the league. I wouldn't be too quick to blame their managers. I've watched PSG a few times and (pre-Messi) the combination of Neymar and Mbappe up front was laughable at times - they play only for themselves.

Jezpeza

Why is everyone criticising him for Spurs losing the title to Leicester? I just can’t get my head round it.

How far were Klopp, Mourhino, Wenger and Pelligrini that season ?
because he was two years into his time there and had his team together and his ‘philosophy’ on the team. Just isnt good enough, bottom line. Did nothing in 5 years at spurs.

NotQuiteManc

Frankly after watching how certain players have been treated by the crowd lately (physical abuse, full bottled water thrown towards certain players, I mean really?), I can see why not many would want to be playing/managing there.

romufc

because he was two years into his time there and had his team together and his ‘philosophy’ on the team. Just isnt good enough, bottom line. Did nothing in 5 years at spurs.
So if Conte doesn't win the title with Spurs, we can say did nothing there?

That is most managers with Spurs then.

Poch got them to their first CL final, got them their highest league finish.. yet "did nothing"

I'm a beautiful thing

Spurs played some good football under him, he would organise us and make us hard to beat, they are two things we aren't at the moment.
We could have had Conte but didn't want him and Poch is the best available candidate out there, maybe the boards intention was to keep Ole until summer and then bring him in but then they would credit our board with having a plan which is doubtful.
If he gets it, I will get behind him and give him a chance, what else can you do

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
The way people talk about Pochettino, you would think that he has done what Simeone did with Atletico. In all seriouness without exaggeration, he is a good manager and I would take him tomorrow if someone like ten Hag isn't available tomorrow but people are inflating his performances, particularly when they talk about the CL, you would think that the final run was a reflection of their usual performances.

Reactions: Invictus

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
PSG seem like such a disfunctional outfit. Given that Tuchel failed there and he's a man who basically coached Chelsea in his first match there on the plane, it speaks volumes.

By all accounts, probably the best example of the perils of having a DoF who is not very good and tries to do the manager's job, instead of assisting him in achieving a vision for the way the squad plays.

Status
Not open for further replies.