Mauricio Pochettino or Brendan Rodgers? The big debate…

Poch v Rodgers for next United manager?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

YouknowNani

It should have been Conte, but out of these two I'd have Rogers. Better style of play and gets teams playing exciting football very quickly upon starting jobs. I know many here call him a bottle job, but he wasn't exactly a bottle job for Celtic was he. I know it's a crap league but he literally couldn't have done any better and it's possibly an example of what he can do with decent resources when comparing it to the rest of the league. Also took a Liverpool who'd been awful for 10 years to within a slip of winning the title, with nowhere near the resources of City, United, Chelsea etc. His Swansea team played great football and his Leicester have been good too, despite not starting this season particularly well.

I think he'd be a very good manager for us and get us competing again but he doesn't seem to be the fashionable choice around here.

Ralph1386

We had Conte, Tuchel, Poch, Zidane, Ten Hag to approach when it was apparent that Bruno was saving Ole the job and he was really close to getting the sack. Brendan Rodgers is now an option because we are in the middle of season and we have less candidates. Rafacts. What situation have we gotten ourselves into..
It wasn't apparent to the board and the Glazers unfortunately.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Tough one.

Neither have won major trophies but Rodgers has a better collection of minor ones.

Poch did get a Spurs to the CL final and PSG to the semis though, while Rodgers has done pretty much nothing in Europe.

Both could be accused of blowing league titles attempts, fairly or unfairly. Rodgers also (fairly or unfairly) of blowing multiple attempts to get into the CL but maybe he was facing a harder task in doing so.

In terms of their football Rodgers' teams have played some good attacking stuff but have consistently had issues defensively. Poch's football less attacking but also potentially more sound?

Rodgers has his Brentisms, Pochettino believes he can detect "universal energies" or auras surrounding people that gives him information about them. Needless to say, both are irritating.

So ideally neither, as others have said. I suspect the club would go for Poch between the two though and I suspect the fans generally would have more patience with him than Rodgers but who knows.

Ralph1386

The only way we get Poch is if he gets sacked. Otherwise, the club only want Rodgers. So at the moment, either the downfall continues with Ole or we get Rodgers, with an outside chance of Poch getting the sack. Unfortunately it doesn't seem like the club are interested in anyone else, which is a shame.

I wouldn't know who to choose between Poch and Rodgers. They're both better than Ole in my opinion but not on the level of Zidane, Klopp, Tuchel or Guardiola.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
How do you drop facts in these threads!
:lol:

I don't rate Pochettino that highly anymore but some of the things said aren't fair. PSG could and probably should have won but that's only true because Pochettino led them to better results. Now overall, PSG have been underwhelming, they are not cohesive on the field and in my opinion this is the worst version of PSG since QSI purchased the club.

Hansi Fick

Supports
FC Bayern
The answer is Pochettino.
Nothing against Rodgers but he's a bit too much of a buffoon.

Bertie Wooster

They're both great at building systems and moderately choking when things get tight. We'd probably be a step closer to winning trophies with them, but still not over the line.
Both are a massive tactical and squad utilization upgrade on Ole
, so throw either in for all I care.
I think that's quite close to my views.

I feel, of the managers under discussion since the Liverpool debacle, only Conte was of the proven, elite level that would mean we had a manager of similar standing to City, Liverpool, Chelsea (and now Spurs).

The ones now under discussion - Ten Hag, Pochettino, Rodgers - are a level up from Ole but a level below the likes of Guardiola, Klopp, Tuchel, and Conte.

If we appoint any of the ones being discussed, then I think it would increase our chances of winning a trophy and of getting further in the CL, but I still wouldn't see them winning us the PL or CL anytime soon ahead of those more proven managers.

I'd probably have more hopes and expectations with Pochettino, as he's got a good blend of experience in the PL, CL, and, now, managing a squad of top players at PSG in a much scrutinised job.

croadyman

We made a huge cock up not taking him this time last year when we had the chance, quite frankly Ole should have been under insurmountable pressure after that Spurs drubbing and then that diabolical showing in Istanbul as well compounded things

B. Munich

Supports
Bayern Munich
He’d leave for sure. PSG really isn’t a great job for a coach.
Well I read an interview of him where he stated otherwise. Saying he is coaching the best team in the world and had no intensions to leave.
(Can be of course marketing bullshit but as fans we don't have an insight into any club anyway).

Also he is like Ole a former player of the club and well loved and respected within their fan base.

lex talionis

The Poch ship sailed away a long time ago and there’s no reason to believe he would leave PSG for United. Nor are Pep, Klopp or Tuchel realistic targets either.

andersj

Nick Powell Expert
Also took a Liverpool who'd been awful for 10 years to within a slip of winning the title,
Liverpool under Benitez

04/05 - 58p
05/06 - 82p
06/07 - 68p
07/08 - 76p
08/09 - 86p
09/10 - 63p

So a median of 68/76p. Average of 71 points. Did quite well in CL too at times.

Liverpool under Rodgers

12/13 - 61p
13/14 - 84p
14/15 - 62p

Median of 62p. Average of 69 points.

Fired after 8 games in 15/16 where they took 12 points (an average that would equal 57p after 38 games).

Flytan

Poch just so our moronic board can get over their obsession of him managing us.

I'm also in the belief that the links to rodgers are overblown because the board wants to use him as a punching bag for fans to get them to stop hating ole

Mindhunter

I voted Poch because of the managers currently attainable and willing to manage us (despite the circus in the background) he is the only one who thinks long term, provides opportunities to young players, and has a philosophy.

He is also tactically naive, especially during knockout matches but he has taken Spurs to new heights and with the backing from our board who are loyal to a fault and the bigger budget, I really think he can take us forward.

wolvored

Out the two Rodgers has won a trophy and plays the better football. Other managers is an open book. What other managers do we get to come here? I believe the board have cast the net this week and we haven't been successful in who we have been after.

Frank Grimes

Should have got Pochettino 2 seasons ago when he was available and we were averaging 1.5 point per game with over half the season gone.
Now I have a feeling we've missed the boat with Pochettino and should look elsewhere, whether that be Rodgers is debatable.

NextSeason

From the banks of the Irwell, to Sicily..
Can we stop adding a shitty option like Brendan Rodgers to these debates all the time?

Majority of fans don't want him. That in itself will keep the Glazers from hiring him.
I wouldn't be so sure, there is a reason he's an odds-on favourite with the bookies. Really doubt the board even consider how the fans would take an appointment, they will do what suits them.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Poch just so our moronic board can get over their obsession of him managing us.

I'm also in the belief that the links to rodgers are overblown because the board wants to use him as a punching bag for fans to get them to stop hating ole
It’s not just the board. He has a fan group

glazed

Eats diamonds to beat thermodynamics
It will be Bodger. The Glazers don't care that he used to manage the dippers. They want immediate results to protect UCL revenue, not a rebuild for high press. Bodger will bodge something together, buy a DM or two in January and look like a genius for a bit. But he won't win the EPL.

Andersons Dietician

It’s not really even a competition. As many have said the Southampton team and the Spurs team at their best were a joy to behold and not only that he was able to win against some of the best teams there have ever been by actually taking them on and not needing to result to hanging on for dear life.

There was a game against Man City and you’ll be hard pressed to see a higher standard of football anywhere than the two of those put on. It was fascinating.

Give him the resources of United and I think he’d be a dangerous man. Especially if he’s not having to try and fit some pre Madonna’s in his team.

However, Poch isn’t available and probably won’t be available.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Both are better than Ole... Neither would be the right appointment IMO. Would prefer Potter over either even. Between them, not sure, keep flip flopping. I think Pochettino is living off a good few year period with his Southampton days and his first couple of years at Spurs until they finished 2nd in 16/17? And then since then just hasn't worked at all and has been a disappointment. Rodgers is more of a steady guy who at least tries to play decent football, but he's thoroughly underwhelming and Leicester is his limit IMO.

We should be going for Ten Hag/Mancini/Enrique. Or failing them, probably Potter. Really, we should have taken Conte when we had the chance, but we're fecking idiots so there you go.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
I don't like Pochettino's preference towards a certain style of striker because it highlights how tactically flexible a manager can be.

Llorente, Kane, Oswaldo, Rickie Lambert + his bulky espanyol strikers etc maybe even Icardi to that list.

It makes me worried at his ability to adapt his tactics permanently for a season and consider something like a false 9 inbetween 2 inverted forwards like both Pep and Klopp have done - arguably even Tuchel with Havertz.

It's very simple - but it kind of shows a managers ability to tweak the tactics to get the best out of a player - rather than get the best player for a tactic. Jose is the same with a history of Drogba, Zlatan, Higuain, Lukaku (using the same type of striker and no one else). The same with Conte - crying for no one else but Lukaku at one point but getting Morata.

Obviously PSG is a very forced club, forcing transfers on Pochettino- but I hope players like Messi and Icardi (if the latter isn't a bulky type striker Im not sure), has helped him adapt his tactics to fit the player more because him buying the player that fits his tactics doesn't seem to be happening at PSG.

Can Brendan Rodgers do it?

I'm not sure but -

He has a history of playing Sterling deeper and centrally behind Suarez and Sturridge at one point; who are not the most bulkiest strikers either. That was good to see then Sterling left.
Then Coutinho ramped it up as a goalscoring CAM.

Looking back at it - it was Brendan Rodgers that also bought Firmino to Liverpool (though I'm unsure if he was used anything close resembling to how he plays now).

Brendan Rodgers had strikers/forwards like Sturridge, Suarez, Benteke, Firmino, Sterling within his locker. Leicester has Vardy, Iheanacho and I'm sure some more that I don't remember.

As hate as I dislike to admit, i think he maybe more tactically flexible.

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
Over rated Poch, or car salesman Rodgers.

Not exactly aiming high there I feel. We can definitely do better.

Lecland07

Doesn't the neither option destroy the idea of 'Rodgers vs Pochettino'. It just turns it into another 'next manager' poll.

That option shouldn't be there.

I would choose Rodgers, now. The time of Pochettino has passed.

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
Over rated Poch, or car salesman Rodgers.

Not exactly aiming high there I feel. We can definitely do better.
Who though? I'd be happy with this type of replacement and see how they get on. They're miles better coaches than Ole, if either could coach our team to the level they have others then we'd be a force. Whether they could take the ultimate step and win the league remains to be seen. Should another generational manager come along then we'd have to be ready in the event that whoever we have at the time is looking unlikely to take us all the way. I don't think we'd be too far off with either and the football would be miles more palatable too.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
The only tiny thing in either options favour is that they do at least have experience of managing a big club, or managing the big players.

I suspect like with Jose though, we will have to try the Poch option, if only so we can finally bin that option off and not forever be wondering about it.

Of the two, Rodgers. He's done well in every club and outperformed for the most part. Still big questions over his trophy cabinet but he has generally gotten more than the sum of their parts from his teams. That alone would be a big step up from our current manager.

Poch guided a decent Spurs to the same old nothing, and is currently failing at PSG.

mu4c_20le

Doesn't the neither option destroy the idea of 'Rodgers vs Pochettino'. It just turns it into another 'next manager' poll.

That option shouldn't be there.

I would choose Rodgers, now. The time of Pochettino has passed.
Not at all. People shouldn't be forced to choose one or another, and if this was a simple vs thread it would be in the football forums.

And while the state of the current Poch is questionable, I still wouldn't pick Rodgers. He is the Fred of managers.

Tyrion

neither, zero major trophy between them
So? Trophies are hoarded by the top teams. Rodgers missed out narrowly on the league with a worse team than Klopps and Poch was at Spurs. If we judge by trophies Zidane is a better manager than Klopp.

Tyrion

Neither of the two are good enough to beat Klopp and Pep.
Apart from maybe Tuchel and Conte, no-one seems to be. We shouldn't think like that though. We should just go for the best we can. We wouldn't keep a bad striker because we can't get Lewandowski.

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
Who though? I'd be happy with this type of replacement and see how they get on. They're miles better coaches than Ole, if either could coach our team to the level they have others then we'd be a force. Whether they could take the ultimate step and win the league remains to be seen. Should another generational manager come along then we'd have to be ready in the event that whoever we have at the time is looking unlikely to take us all the way. I don't think we'd be too far off with either and the football would be miles more palatable too.
Maybe so, but I just feel we need to set our standards higher. Also don't feel we should 'settle' for someone who maybe not too grade.

Would love Zidane, but I don't think he's really interested, also would love to see of Enrique would want to take the job on alongside his national duties, again not sure that would be feasible.
Failing that, when Italy fail to qualify for the world cup get Mancini in ...again a controversial choice.

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
The idea that Poch is failing with PSG is a bit harsh. He's way ahead at the top of their league and doing well in a tough CL group with Man City. Last season wasn't good but he seems to have them back on track so far this season, except for complaints about their football. I've not seen enough to know the issues there, but I do know that squad isn't suitable for his football.

eire-red

I still think Pochettino could do great things with this side, and we missed a trick not getting him when he was available. The pressure will be huge, but just like how we target players, we should look for someone hungry and desperate to prove themselves.

The wheels fell off in his last season at Spurs, with no investment after the building of the stadium, but I think the levels he reached with that Spurs squad were impressive.

Coaching, recruitment, style of play and his character are all positives for me. I don't fancy Ten Haag at all, I don't think our style of play or players are set up for his system at all. Rodgers, I don't want either, and there's the whole Liverpool link there too. Conte, I would have taken short term, and Zidane I don't know how he would do with a team not at it's peak, and if he'd be interested in the job at all.

Given time and proper recruitment, I believe Pochettino could be successful for us. And I think he'd fancy this job long term too. It's very hard to say, and I just hope our board doesn't panic. For me, I'm approaching ABO (anyone but Ole), but we need to get this appointment right. The squad is nearly there, and with a couple midfielders we just need someone to bring it all together.

Status
Not open for further replies.