Maurizio Sarri - Chelsea coach

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout

So how do you guys rate him?

I rated him very highly for the work he did at Napoli, read that he don't know a word of English which might be a problem initially. Can see him doing really well.

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout

So how do you guys rate him?

I rated him very highly for the work he did at Napoli, read that he don't know a word of English which might be a problem initially. Can see him doing really well.
I just heard an interview with Nat Chalobah (on loan at Napoli under Sarri) who said he can speak English.

Buchan

has whacked the hammer to Roswell
Sarri has been getting English lessons for the last few months, hasn’t he? I also read before (I think) that he worked in London for a period in his previous career as a banker.

roonster09

Scout
The way he completely transformed Napoli was superb to watch, their point tally also improved. They made 91 points last season, which is just a brilliant record for Napoli, especially after losing their best player.

Copying my post from other thread.
2013-14: Napoli finished 3rd, 24 points behind Juventus
2014-15: Napoli finished 5th behind Juvemtus, Roma, Lazio, Fiorentina and 24 points behind Juvenuts.

Sarri was appointed in 2015:
2015-16: Napoli finished 2nd with 82 points and 9 points behind Juventus
2016-17: Napoli finished 3rd with 86 points and 5 points behind Juventus
2017-18: Napoli are in 2nd place with 85 points and 6 points behind Juventus.

And this is the side that lost their best player and top scorer (Higuain) to Juventus. They signed Milik to replace him and he was out injured after just a month or 2 and was out for the season.
Sarri then played Mertens as CF and since then Mertens never looked back scoring for fun.

That's called progress and that itself shows how good Sarri is for Napoli, this is after losing their best player and scorer.

roonster09

Scout
Btw this also opens up Sarri to ManUtd gate, in a year or two.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Will be interesting to see him put his slant on that team. I think he'll do well. And then he'll get sacked.

Eddy_JukeZ

He was very good for Napoli.

It'll be interesting to see how he handles Chelsea.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Should do well - he plays good football from within his means.

Not really sure why and where it went wrong for Conte, though. Any team in need of a top manager should be all over him.

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
Then even better for Chelsea.
I think it's going to be a tough season for us. According to Chalobah, he (Sarri) is very hands-on. Short (40 minute) sessions. Different training depending on the opposition.

Apparently he has 33 set piece routines, 10 throw-in routines.

Chalobah was Jorginho's roomate. He said was the best one-touch player in training and plays the Battlefield games non-stop.

roonster09

Scout
I think it's going to be a tough season for us. According to Chalobah, he (Sarri) is very hands-on. Short (40 minute) sessions. Different training depending on the opposition.

Apparently he has 33 set piece routines, 10 throw-in routines.

Chalobah was Jorginho's roomate. He said was the best one-touch player in training and plays the Battlefield games non-stop.
Also his team press well and play with possession. Very attack minded coach, so if it works out should be great for Chelsea.

33 set piece routines? How will they even signal which one they are taking? :lol:

roonster09

Scout
Chalobah said he was given them all written down on paper on his second day as was shouted at by Sarri for not knowing all the hand signals on his third day!
Will see something like this in Chelsea games.

CM

I really enjoyed the way his Napoli side played last season. It'll be interesting to see if he can recreate that style with this Chelsea team - signing Jorginho would be a good start.

Mb194dc

Supports
Chelsea
He plays youth players. Won't demand the club make massive signings or cause issues with the board about transfers. He'll make the most out of what we already have. Plays good attractive football in a 4 3 3, has Zola coming in as assistant. Not much not to like.

Main negative is he he's never won anything. I'm not sure the club is to bothered though. Roman has been running it as a business for the last 4-5 years. It's actually quite surprising we've still won as much as we have. Hopefully we won't turn in to the "new Spurs".

Target for this year has to be the top 4 and a trophy, ideally the Europa league but a domestic cup could also work.

roonster09

Scout
He plays youth players. Won't demand the club make massive signings or cause issues with the board about transfers. He'll make the most out of what we already have. Plays good attractive football in a 4 3 3, has Zola coming in as assistant. Not much not to like.

Main negative is he he's never won anything. I'm not sure the club is to bothered though. Roman has been running it as a business for the last 4-5 years. It's actually quite surprising we've still won as much as we have. Hopefully we won't turn in to the "new Spurs".

Target for this year has to be the top 4 and a trophy, ideally the Europa league but a domestic cup could also work.
Sarri doesn't rotate, that's one of his weakness. So doubt he will play many youth players.

dove

Can't believe people are actually worried :lol: Yes, he plays attractive football but does it really matter that much when he won absolutely nothing in 15 years as a manager? What makes you think he will suddenly start winning stuff with Chelsea? Clear downgrade on Conte IMO.

Keeps It tidy

Hates Messi
Courtois
Azpi Christiansen Rudiger Alonzo
Kante Jorginho Cesc
Pedro Morata Hazard

My guess for their best lineup in Sarri's 4-3-3. The main question marks would be the third midfield spot(RLC and Golovin if he comes over would be possible options) and wide right.

Peacemachine

What makes you think he will suddenly start winning stuff with Chelsea
Because he gets a better squad than Napoli and no super-club to cockblock him. His style is great against poorly organized PL teams, that includes City. He will complete the Holy Trinity of Italian coaches winning PL between 2010 and 2020, there is little doubt.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Courtois
Azpi Christiansen Rudiger Alonzo
Kante Jorginho Cesc
Pedro Morata Hazard

My guess for their best lineup in Sarri's 4-3-3. The main question marks would be the third midfield spot(RLC and Golovin if he comes over would be possible options) and wide right.
Strangely enough, the roles fit almost perfectly at the exception of Cesc who doesn't score enough. Which CM could be bought?

Keeps It tidy

Hates Messi
Strangely enough, the roles fit almost perfectly at the exception of Cesc who doesn't score enough. Which CM could be bought?
When he is in form Cesc is still one of the best creators in the World so out of all the midfielders they have now he would be the best bet for the Hamsik role. But, they have been linked with Russian midfielder Golovin recently.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
When he is in form Cesc is still one of the best creators in the World so out of all the midfielders they have now he would be the best bet for the Hamsik role. But, they have been linked with Russian midfielder Golovin recently.
I'm really curious to see how it's going to be, for me it's even more exciting than Guardiola in the PL.

Edit: Do you think Zouma will get a chance over Rudiger?

Last edited:

DBT85

A Chelsea man through and through

Roberto Mancini: “The confrontation on the touchline? You have to ask Sarri about that, he is a racist. People like him do not belong in football. He used racist words. I stood up to ask about the five minutes being added on and Sarri shouted ‘poof’ and ‘faggot’ at me. I would be proud to be that if he is what’s considered a man. People like him should not be in football. He is 60 years old. The fourth official heard but didn’t say anything. He came to see me in the changing room to apologise but he should really be ashamed of himself.”
“Football has become a sport for fags,” said Sarri. “We suffered twice as many fouls, but we had more yellow cards. It’s a contact sport in Italy and but the whistle is blown a lot more than in England because of the interpretation by homosexuals.”

Orc

Pretended to be a United fan for two years
Supports
Chelsea
Can't believe people are actually worried :lol: Yes, he plays attractive football but does it really matter that much when he won absolutely nothing in 15 years as a manager? What makes you think he will suddenly start winning stuff with Chelsea? Clear downgrade on Conte IMO.
Firstly, it's a bit difficult to judge him on not winning things in his earlier career with tiny clubs. Also find it hard to slate him for not winning the league with Napoli when he's up against the juggernaut that is Juventus who have resources far beyond what he had.

Canagel

Must be great for Chelsea to finally get an attack minded progressive coach instead of the usual pragmatic approach they have taken under Abramovich. I rate Sarri very highly. Will be interesting to see how he shapes the Chelsea team in his style.

Tommy

bigot with fetish for footballers getting fingered
Supports
Liverpool
The way he completely transformed Napoli was superb to watch, their point tally also improved. They made 91 points last season, which is just a brilliant record for Napoli, especially after losing their best player.

Copying my post from other thread.
That's actually pretty amazing. Cheers for sharing.

dove

Firstly, it's a bit difficult to judge him on not winning things in his earlier career with tiny clubs. Also find it hard to slate him for not winning the league with Napoli when he's up against the juggernaut that is Juventus who have resources far beyond what he had.
Doesn't mean Napoli shouldn't have done better in cups. They have been very disappointing in Copa Italia and CL with Sarri in charge.

Santi_Mesut_Alexis_87

Supports
Arsenal
He is a great coach. What he did with Napoli was outstanding. He needed certain players though and i don't know if he can repeat it with Chelsea.

Kapardin

This. Klopp is proof that even if you have a suitable attacking philosophy in place, a trophy winning mentality is difficult to nurture if the manager has bottled a few. Sarri like Poch at Spurs built a great Napoli team with a limited budget, but once you have got where you wanted to be (top of Serie A), you should be able to maintain it. It was a weak Juve last year, even Juve fans were resigned to losing the title till the turn-around.

As an example, there was an Indian King in ancient times who conquered even Singapore and Malaysia. His conquest is spoken of very highly. But later, it was found that a mere 15 days after the conquest, he was defeated by another and lost those lands. Thus, he did 90% of the hard work but failed to go the distance -- solidifying his Empire. Similarly, Poch and Sarri have done the hard work and built a competent team, but whether they take advantage of the hard earned position their teams have attained is moot.

But he could get them Top 4. If we don't sign anyone, I unfortunately see City, Liverpool and Chelsea in the top 3 positions and us scrapping for 4th with Arsenal and Spurs.

piesel

As an italian football fan i send a warning to Chelsea supporters: be ready to listen at a LOT of excuses during the season.

Bergman

Supports
Liverpool
Courtois too. His distribution is pretty poor and would be a huge drawback in a possession side.

Keeps It tidy

Hates Messi
This. Klopp is proof that even if you have a suitable attacking philosophy in place, a trophy winning mentality is difficult to nurture if the manager has bottled a few. Sarri like Poch at Spurs built a great Napoli team with a limited budget, but once you have got where you wanted to be (top of Serie A), you should be able to maintain it. It was a weak Juve last year, even Juve fans were resigned to losing the title till the turn-around.
That weak Juve side finished with 95 points.