Maurizio Sarri's Sack Watch | And Now Our Watch Has Ended

Bepi

Supports
Juventus
Hats off to Maurizio, though. He left is banking job at 40 and started from the very bottom of non-league football, climbing the ladder step by step and winning an international trophy abroad plus a scudetto in just 20 years. If you love inspiring stories a la “the working class goes to heaven”, he’s a role model. Grazie, Comandante.

Liver_bird

Supports
Liverpool
Guardiola has at least a connection to Juve so yeah he'd be one of the few foreign candidates that are at least feasible from Juve's side but not like that is relevant atm (Guardiola is going nowhere).
I would have doubts regarding Klopp, there still has never been a german coach in Italy (well technically Völler for 4 games but yeah...) and Klopp himself said he would never coach in a country where he doesn't speak the language because communication is such an important part of his work.
Oh definitely. Klopp has always reiterated that as well. I meant more the calibre of coaches. If there’s a top two coach in the world available most teams will sacrifice internal or cultural policies.

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
Fundamentally the issue with Sarri is that his system stops working when he has top class talent - his skill is in getting the most out of average players by automating their patterns of play, limiting free expression, and ensuring that they don't have to overthink things. This is why he did so well at Empoli and Napoli.

This was his problem at Chelsea - he had to abandon most of his principles to accommodate Hazard and realized that the best choice was just to play through him. Same thing has happened this year at Juve with CR7.

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
Fundamentally the issue with Sarri is that his system stops working when he has top class talent - his skill is in getting the most out of average players by automating their patterns of play, limiting free expression, and ensuring that they don't have to overthink things. This is why he did so well at Empoli and Napoli.

This was his problem at Chelsea - he had to abandon most of his principles to accommodate Hazard and realized that the best choice was just to play through him. Same thing has happened this year at Juve with CR7.
Also, low key it's hilarious that Juve paid €7m to Chelsea for Sarri and are now on the hook for €20m now that they've sacked him. I must say, it's nice to be on the outside looking in at compensation packages for sacked managers!

Ish

Lights on for Luke
Same here, Ish. I can't profess to being a staunch Napoli fan prior to his Chelsea stint but the reports on here were generally glowing.

Didn't quite transpire like that. Hope you're keeping well btw pal :)
All good this side Robbie. How you holding up? Lockdown getting a bit long winded here in SA (Cape town) now, but it’s not the end of the world.

Some managers probably just find a club they build something special at, because all the elements align/are in their favor. Moyes had it at Everton, maybe Sarri at Napoli (not comparing the 2). Sometimes it just works out.

Sarri seemingly should have gone to a upper mid level tier club where he would be afforded time and a little bit of resources to build his team. Hes gone to clubs where that luxury was not allowed - admittedly he also didn’t earn an extension because the football was dire. Anyway, like you, I was also not an avid Napoli follower (other than UCL knockout matches and Serie a highlights) so I can’t comment too much.

Robbie Boy

All good this side Robbie. How you holding up? Lockdown getting a bit long winded here in SA (Cape town) now, but it’s not the end of the world.

Some managers probably just find a club they build something special at, because all the elements align/are in their favor. Moyes had it at Everton, maybe Sarri at Napoli (not comparing the 2). Sometimes it just works out.

Sarri seemingly should have gone to a upper mid level tier club where he would be afforded time and a little bit of resources to build his team. Hes gone to clubs where that luxury was not allowed - admittedly he also didn’t earn an extension because the football was dire. Anyway, like you, I was also not an avid Napoli follower (other than UCL knockout matches and Serie a highlights) so I can’t comment too much.
All good here pal. Hopfully getting married next month after having to postpone our wedding in May. Cases are spiking again in Ireland which is worrying but fingers crossed! Still working from home too which I'm used to now so that's all good.

Aye, without being all too well versed on Sarri, it does appear that him and Napoli were just a really good fit. I caught some Napoli games while he was there and they were enjoyable to watch. Much like LvG he's very rigid with his philosophy which just didn't suit the English game. I think he showed his naivety in signing Jorginho and expected him to be able to orchestrate things like he did in Serie A. The PL and Serie A are very contrasting leagues and it was never going to work. Signing Kepa was also an unmitigated disaster. Maybe if he was afforded more time at Chelsea it could have worked but I have my doubts.

Interesting choice Juve going for Pirlo, that could really be a very poor appointment or he could be the second coming of Pep!

Lj82

This sounds so similar to LVG

Ish

Lights on for Luke
All good here pal. Hopfully getting married next month after having to postpone our wedding in May. Cases are spiking again in Ireland which is worrying but fingers crossed! Still working from home too which I'm used to now so that's all good.

Aye, without being all too well versed on Sarri, it does appear that him and Napoli were just a really good fit. I caught some Napoli games while he was there and they were enjoyable to watch. Much like LvG he's very rigid with his philosophy which just didn't suit the English game. I think he showed his naivety in signing Jorginho and expected him to be able to orchestrate things like he did in Serie A. The PL and Serie A are very contrasting leagues and it was never going to work. Signing Kepa was also an unmitigated disaster. Maybe if he was afforded more time at Chelsea it could have worked but I have my doubts.

Interesting choice Juve going for Pirlo, that could really be a very poor appointment or he could be the second coming of Pep!
Congrats man! That’s great to hear. Hope it works out for you and the missus. Also used to the wfh environment this side.

Pirlo is a very interesting choice but I guess that juve squad is littered with experience. So as you said, it could go either way. Not sure if I was Pirlo that I’d want to walk into a dressing room with some “friends around” still. Unless he’s obviously been given assurances on control of the budget and rebuilding the team. Sometimes all the experienced players need is a system bringing the best out of them and not Sarri, who tried to instill an entire new philosophy.

De Ligt, A Sandro, Ronaldo, Dybala, Bentancur, Arthur, Chiellini (not sure how his form is holding up). Not the end of the world if they make another couple of smart additions (maybe Tonali or something).