Mavericks and Liabilities Draft - QF - Prolifik vs Sjor Bepo

Who will win the match?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Pat_Mustard

I'm so gorgeous they want to put me under arrest!
A never-nude? I thought he just liked cut-offs.
PROLIFIK:

SJOR BEPO:

PROLIFIK TACTICS:

Liability #1: Sergio Ramos

The primary concern with Ramos is his tendency to lose his head, so I've surrounded him with defenders who can be relied on to maintain their discipline. Both full-backs are conscientious and will tuck inside to cover when required. Koeman and Kanté provide additional security in front of the back four.

Liability #2: Ronald Koeman
Koeman's weakness is his lack of pace which can be more exploitable as a libero/centre-back. We've instead moved him into midfield where he can use his vision and distribution run the show from deep. Kanté's athleticism and defensive awareness complements him well in this setup. He will frequently drop back into defence to create an extra man, giving Bergomi and Cole more licence to get forward and create overloads with Conti and Pires.

Maverick: Paul Gascoigne
Our entire setup is devised to get the best out of Gazza. This setup is a bit more conservative with Koeman and Kanté alongside him. Although ostensibly more defensive players, they do offer some attacking qualitied to support Gazza: Koeman with his deep playmaking, and Kanté with his ball-carrying ability. Conti and Pires are both comfortable playing slightly more advanced roles, and Pires in particular is capable of weighing in with goals from the wing to help make up for what we lose with Dalglish being dropped. With his strength and hold-up play, Shearer will do fine as the lone striker, and will receive plenty of service both from Gazza and Koeman in midfield and from our stellar wide play.

SJOR BEPO TACTICS:

Tactics:
Flavor of the month, modern interpretation of WM/MW. Team that can mix it up a bit, can easily go high press and more possession based just like they can drop a bit deeper and play on the counter.
Not only can they mix it up in style but also in formations as they can easily switch to a back 4:

Juan Carlos Valeron
Crown jewel of the famous Deportivo side that was everyone favorite team in the early 00s. Fantastic side that played attractive football with little to no global stars which was refreshing in Spain at the time cause it was a Galatico Era at Madrid. Sadly they never done it in the league, went runners up twice in a row but at least they won the Copa del Rey in Real Madrid backyard to stop them completing a treble in their centenary season.
For two years on the spin they provided the winners of the Pichichi trophy for the top scorer in La Liga: Diego Tristan with 21 in 2001-2002 and Roy Makaay with 29 goals in 2002-2003.
With Valeron behind them, it was no coincidence. Makaay described the Canary Islander as the best player he ever played with.

They did their magic in Champions League as well taking scalps of great Arsenal side, Man United, Bayern and most famously Milan after overturning a 4:1 deficit from the first game with a 4:0 spectacle at Riazor.
Who is Valeron and what does he need?
A true number 10, there were plenty of better 10s in the history of the game but if you ever needed a textbook number 10 then he is your guy. Great spatial awareness, defenders just couldnt get near him even though he didnt run that much, nor was he fast or even strong - he was just too smart. Fantastic eye for a pass, matched with a great range of passing but unlike lets say Riquelme he wasnt trigger happy, he had that balance of what to do in every situation rather then forcing a killer pass too often. Player that loved a one two with his teammates, probably not a surprise David Silva adores him and was modelling his game on his idol - which is why he wore n21 during his whole career.
In this team i surrounded him with players with proven track record of being a great supporting cast. He has everything here that he needs to shine - 9 hardworking, defensively sound players that can cover his potential weaknesses alongside a 3 at the back system that gives the team a good amount of protection.
On the ball there is everything, players that are great in possession, plenty of players to play his "tiki taka" game and plenty of runners of the ball to offer him options for a through pass.

Fernando Hierro
Very odd player, at one point he can completely shut down peak Fenomeno but on another occasion he can be destroyed by some random average joe. Considering his pros and cons, decided to play him in a libero role with 4 players that are perfectly capable of playing in a back 4 in odd case he gets dragged away from the defensive shape. On the ball he can play it around with ease and find more advanced players even through potential high press of the opposition. He also had an insane goal record of 102 goals in 439 games at his time in Madrid which is insane.

Šjor Bepo

Wout is love, Wout is life; all hail Wout!
villa vs ramos :drool: :drool: :drool:

good team pro, personally id keep Carrick(specially as you have Koeman dropping back) and use the upgrade for Pires who is a bad fit for the left forward role.

prolifik

villa vs ramos :drool: :drool: :drool:

good team pro, personally id keep Carrick(specially as you have Koeman dropping back) and use the upgrade for Pires who is a bad fit for the left forward role.
Carrick with Koeman feels like a hat on a hat. I like the pairing of Koeman and Kante (granted I would like Carrick-Kante better :rolleyes:). Also love to reunite the Pires-Cole combo.

Šjor Bepo

Carrick with Koeman feels like a hat on a hat. I like the pairing of Koeman and Kante (granted I would like Carrick-Kante better :rolleyes:). Also love to reunite the Pires-Cole combo.
But you have Koeman dropping back so dynamics wise having Carrick in midfield wouldnt be an overlap. Offensive wise it would be great as Carrick was a great partner for Scholes so no possible issues with Koeman and defensive wise you get more protection(ok not more as Kante is an alien) as Carrick is pretty much a perfect partner for Gazza. Only possible issue for Koeman Carrick duo is that both are on the slow side but again, if Scholes Carrick worked then pace shouldnt be an issue.

Love it too but dynamics are different as Pires role should/is different.

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
What did Sjor do to his team? :confused: Montero was a smooth LCB fit to his old team.

That defense is going to be caught for pace seriously, esp facing speedsters in Pires and Conti. Alves is the only player with pace and somehow during attack, he's inside rather than flanking the perimeter.

And for me the Wide Forwards in a WM has to be Individualistic dribblers and ball carriers. Love Villa, but someone like Keizer would have been so much better.

Šjor Bepo

What did Sjor do to his team? :confused: Montero was a smooth LCB fit to his old team.

That defense is going to be caught for pace seriously, esp facing speedsters in Pires and Conti. Alves is the only player with pace and somehow during attack, he's inside rather than flanking the perimeter.

And for me the Wide Forwards in a WM has to be Individualistic dribblers and ball carriers. Love Villa, but someone like Keizer would have been so much better.
made it fun

also, your definition of a speedster is seriously fecked up if pires is one :lol:
city doesnt have a backline of sylvan distins and are pulling it off, pace isnt everything and my three arent slow. if anything someone like Ferrara would be in the upper echelon of pace within centerbacks.

absolute bs, football evolves and you dont need anything specific in any position anymore(just see stones and rodri for those roles)as long as you get everything from a whole team. Villa fits perfectly considering what else is there.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
Strong and interesting teams.

For Sjor the front 5 look great, Villa and Mahrez are perfect team players with superb technique while Tostao gives both 9 and 9.5 stuff. Think it really sings. I reckon the defence looks good too - all three were effective ball-players as well as just being proper defenders. Question over the midfield pair of Tigana / Alves - do you reckon they will naturally sit behind the ball, which is perhaps more required in a more adventurous 3-2-5 shape?

For Prolifik I love the set-up around Gazza. Him and Kante are just the most natural partners with their hounding. Great to see an innovative use of Koeman too and that midfield really captures my imagination. Rate the defence as good as it gets within the pool around Ramos.

Šjor Bepo

Strong and interesting teams.

For Sjor the front 5 look great, Villa and Mahrez are perfect team players with superb technique while Tostao gives both 9 and 9.5 stuff. Think it really sings. I reckon the defence looks good too - all three were effective ball-players as well as just being proper defenders. Question over the midfield pair of Tigana / Alves - do you reckon they will naturally sit behind the ball, which is perhaps more required in a more adventurous 3-2-5 shape?

For Prolifik I love the set-up around Gazza. Him and Kante are just the most natural partners with their hounding. Great to see an innovative use of Koeman too and that midfield really captures my imagination. Rate the defence as good as it gets within the pool around Ramos.
yeah id expect them to be more reserved in forward runs, Tigana can join a bit as has great defensive recovery so can join press as well but Alves would stay behind all the time and play it around which is why i choosed Enrique version

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
Day after England's 1-1 draw with Holland at Italia '90 said:
But Gazza, of course, was still smiling. I asked him, was it true he'd asked Van Basten what he got in a week?

"Nah. It was the centre-half, what's his name? Koeman. He made this lovely little chip and I says, 'cor - what they pay for you then?' And Rijkaard says, 'a hell of a lot'. But I was never near Van Basten. I bet he 's on plenty more than me though."

Physiocrat

Has No Mates
Proflik has a great setup to hide the weaknesses of Koeman and Ramos but I don't see Pires and Conti as wide forwards/wingers for a 433. Montero could possible exposed but he does have Tigana that side. It is clear that given Sjor's setup, a long pass from Koeman to Conti is probably his best route to goal.

prolifik

Must admit all this focus on Pires as wide forward is hard to stomach when the opposition is using Dani Alves as a holding midfielder...

Šjor Bepo

3-3-1-3 might have been nicer for Sjor but I just can't get past the weirdness with Alves in midfield.
Must admit all this focus on Pires as wide forward is hard to stomach when the opposition is using Dani Alves as a holding midfielder...
Alves is playing the role of Stones, Zinchenko feck even Trent in last few games....its not like he is a midfielder in a classic setup

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Feels like this can only be settled with running FIFA.

Šjor Bepo

congrats mane, cant be mad at Gazza winning :drool: