g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Mavericks and Liabilities Draft - R1 - Gio vs The Religion

Who will win the match?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Pat_Mustard

I'm so gorgeous they want to put me under arrest!
A never-nude? I thought he just liked cut-offs.
GIO:

THE RELIGION:

GIO TACTICS:

MAVERICK - KAZI DEYNA

Deyna was an impressive goalscorer from midfield,
averaging just under a goal every two games at both club (602 games, 267 goals) and country (97 games, 41 goals). As such the attack is structured with maximum width in Matthews and Czibor to stretch and create gaps in the opposition defence. In the middle is Hidegkuti who will operate as a selfless false 9, allowing both Deyna and Boniek to surge on, with the classy one-touch play to be a neat partner for Deyna.

Although the team is themed very much as a 1950s tribute in its personnel, style and tactics, I've diverged so slightly from the theme by partnering Deyna with fellow Pole Boniek in the attacking midfield spots. Their peaks didn't quite collide for Poland, but their influence ensured the national team were at the forefront of the international game for over a decade. They should be a complementary partnership - Boniek's high-octane vertical style contrasting with Deyna's close control and adeptness in tight spaces.

Other player choices are about trying to get the best out of Deyna. Reflecting on the fine '74 World Cup team, Matthews is chosen as a touchline-hugging winger in the mould of Gadocha. Bozsik and Mackay in midfield are a solid platform (not dissimilar to Mackay/Blanchflower) and can get onto Deyna's technical wavelength. Bozsik obviously shining in the same system for Hungary, constantly feeding Puskas, Hidegkuti and Czibor ahead.

LIABILITY - JOSE SANTAMARIA

Santamaria is in familiar surroundings here, playing much the same system he shone in for Uruguay at the 1954 World Cup (part of the all-star team) and then on to European Cup dominance with Real Madrid.
It's a familiar back 3, with Djalma - also in the 1954 WC All-Star team - taking up his RCB from the tournament and offering impeccable defensive covering. On Santamaria's left is his international compatriot Victor Andrade, regarded as the best half-back in the world at the time, playing off both flanks during his World Cup career. The best goalkeeper in the world during the 1950s, Vladimir Beara, backs them up. Individually it's strong and everyone is in familiar surroundings.

THE RELIGION TACTICS:

Formation:
Christmas Tree. The buccaneering full-backs Eyzaguirre and Alba provide the width, while the imperious Pirlo orchestrates the deeper build-up, flanked by two elite midfield B2Bers in Vieira and Kante. The maverick Hagi is our creator-in-chief in the final third, with Kane providing both top-notch approach play and a lethal cutting edge, and Luis Enrique weighing in with a potent goal threat as well.

The Liability: Luis Eyzaguirre

An unusually attacking full-back for his era, Eyzaguirre was sufficiently highly-regarded to be included in the England vs Rest of the World Match in 1963, sharing the pitch with no less than seven Ballon d'Or winners, and the likes of Seeler and Puskas on top of that. He's given a meaty role here as the main width provider on the right wing, maximising his opportunities to highlight his nimble footwork and pacey, aggressive ball-carrying. Here is skipping past none other than Bobby Moore:

His reputation as a defender is less than great in the draft forum, but this has been mitigated by having the rapid, mobile Chumpitaz as the right-sided CB, and the voracious, intelligent ball-winner Kante at RCM. When the opposition wingers do get their crosses in, the imperious Vidic seems to have the beating of any of the opposition attackers in aerial duels.

The Maverick: Gheorghe Hagi

Possessor of one of the most cultured and versatile left pegs around, it says something about Hagi's creativity that in his final season at Galatasary, aged 36 and far past his prime athletically, he was still able to rack up 16 assists in 25 league matches. Throw in his adroit dribbling and his impressive goalscoring record (over 300 career goals, including a stunning portfolio of long-range screamers) and you have a formidable package as a No. 10. While his club career in western Europe was patchy, his stunning WC 94, several deep runs in the European Cup for Steaua Bucharest, and UEFA Cup and UEFA Super Cup wins for Galatasary speak well to his overall level.

The Christmas Tree gives him complete creative freedom here. Andrea Pirlo, who has provided such elegant and effective service to advanced playmakers such as Baggio, Totti, Kaka and Rui Costa, orchestrates the deeper build up. Combined with the abundance of energy and defensive nous provided by the likes of Kante, Vieira and Luis Enrique, Hagi should enjoy plenty of periods of meaningful midfield control in which to work his magic. He has wide runners in Alba and Eyzaguirre to pick out, a terrific goalscorer in Kane ahead of him who should be on his wavelength technically, and an AM partner in Lucho who won't tread on his toes in terms of ball-dominance but will rather give him another passing option.

Šjor Bepo

Wout is love, Wout is life; all hail Wout!
@Gio i have no clue about Deyna but when you look at that team you can pick 5 to 6 players that will have the main role instead of him just because they were so much better or cause they had those roles in their teams.

Pat_Mustard

Deyna is my main question mark around Gio's team. Firstly, my impression was that he was very much a classic #10. Is Hidegkuti the right fit for him rather than a more orthodox CF? Similarly, when Matthews and Czibor get the better of their FBs, is there enough penalty area presence to really utilise their delivery and trouble Vidic?

Pat_Mustard

One other point I'd make is the lack of height throughout Gio's defence, with the 5'10" Santamaria flanked by Djalma (5'8) and Victor Andrade (5'7). I'd expect Kane to cause them major issues in the air, not only as a direct goal threat, but also by winning high balls and bringing the goalscoring AMs Hagi and Luis Enrique into play. It looks like a factor at set-pieces too, with little height to compensate throughout the team (not a single six-footer except the GK Beara). Big Nemanja was generally good for a few headed goals a season on average, and he'll fancy his chances here.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
@Gio i have no clue about Deyna but when you look at that team you can pick 5 to 6 players that will have the main role instead of him just because they were so much better or cause they had those roles in their teams.
I think it’s perfectly poised for him to have a good game.

Hidegkuti - used to getting the best out of others and the best out of better players. See Puskas.
Boniek - excelled next to a better player in Platini and complemented him stylistically
Bozsik / Czibor - great players in their own right but who facilitated great 10/9.5s.

All of them at their best deferred to others to have the main role.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
Deyna is my main question mark around Gio's team. Firstly, my impression was that he was very much a classic #10. Is Hidegkuti the right fit for him rather than a more orthodox CF? Similarly, when Matthews and Czibor get the better of their FBs, is there enough penalty area presence to really utilise their delivery and trouble Vidic?
The idea here is for runners from deep to hit the box. Each of the 3 central attacking players have impressive goalscoring records scoring those sorts of goals. To give an example Deyna’s most famous goal against Italy is him meeting a square cut across the box on the run.

We anticipate Matthews to cause Alba all sorts of problems and provide a steady stream of service for our runners to meet. Much of Matthews delivery will be in the form of cut-backs which is arguably the most difficult type to defend. Same for Czibor up against Eyzaguirre at the other end.

Last edited:

Physiocrat

Has No Mates
@Gio How do you intend to setup in the defensive phase? I like the old style tactics in possession but I often wonder how they would look in the defensive phase. I remember Annah with his Sweden inspired side went with a back 5 in defensive with Rijkaard and Voronin as LCB and RCB who then pushed up to the DM position and the wing-backs cutting in to be the LCB and RCB.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
@Gio How do you intend to setup in the defensive phase? I like the old style tactics in possession but I often wonder how they would look in the defensive phase. I remember Annah with his Sweden inspired side went with a back 5 in defensive with Rijkaard and Voronin as LCB and RCB who then pushed up to the DM position and the wing-backs cutting in to be the LCB and RCB.
If we were under the cosh, we could shift to a back 4. The recent compilation - Pat's? - of Mackay at CB showed him to be similarly class there, and he also won a league post leg breaks with Derby playing as sweeper.

That's an option. But the starting position is the 3241. That should be effective here with TR/Pat's narrow shape not really asking us any questions in wide defensive areas. On the ball we'd be keeping the 5 behind the ball (the 3 defenders and the two-man pivot of Mackay and Bozsik).

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
In @TheReligion's absence, I really like the set-up here around Hagi and Eyzaguirre.
  • Hagi should enjoy playing next to the energetic Luis Enrique, who he would have played alongside for Real in 91/92. I particularly like the shades of Romania '94 here who counter-attacked really well.
  • Kante and Chumpitaz' elite powers of recovery on the ground offer great cover inside Eyzaguirre.

Demyanenko_square_jaw

Pirlo is a great choice to stop Hagi trying to do too much in deeper/wide areas, getting frustrated and then becoming too much of a long shot merchant, which imo was his biggest weakness, even if it helped contribute to a great highlight reel.

Pat_Mustard

The idea here is for runners from deep to hit the box. Each of the 3 central attacking players have impressive goalscoring records scoring those sorts of goals. To give an example Deyna’s most famous goal against Italy is him meeting a square cut across the box on the run.

We anticipate Matthews to cause Alba all sorts of problems and provide a steady stream of service for our runners to meet. Much of Matthews delivery will be in the form of cut-backs which is arguably the most difficult type to defend. Same for Czibor up against Eyzaguirre at the other end.
Fair do's mate. As always, there's more than one way to skin a cat, and that's a fine illustration of the plan with Deyna's goal.

Pat_Mustard

One other point I'd make is the lack of height throughout Gio's defence, with the 5'10" Santamaria flanked by Djalma (5'8) and Victor Andrade (5'7). I'd expect Kane to cause them major issues in the air, not only as a direct goal threat, but also by winning high balls and bringing the goalscoring AMs Hagi and Luis Enrique into play. It looks like a factor at set-pieces too, with little height to compensate throughout the team (not a single six-footer except the GK Beara). Big Nemanja was generally good for a few headed goals a season on average, and he'll fancy his chances here.
No takers for this argument? Even Mackay situationally dropping back to form a four-man defence doesn't alleviate the height differential at all. And as gormless as Kane looks, he's tall, physically strong, and low-key nasty enough as a player to leverage that fairly extreme height advantage to his favour with any high balls that are there to compete for.

There's no doubt that Czibor and Matthews engaging in 1v1s against TR's FBs are compelling avenues for chance creation. On the other hand, I'm not sure how well Eyzaguirre and especially Alba will be shackled when it's their turn to attack. In fairness to Matthews, there was an interesting snippet of him tracking back against Nilton in that England vs Brazil match that was recently uploaded, but I'm not sure how regular a part of his game that was, and I'm not convinced that Deyna or Bozsik are necessarily the guys to track the nippy Alba either.

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
No takers for this argument? Even Mackay situationally dropping back to form a four-man defence doesn't alleviate the height differential at all. And as gormless as Kane looks, he's tall, physically strong, and low-key nasty enough as a player to leverage that fairly extreme height advantage to his favour with any high balls that are there to compete for.

There's no doubt that Czibor and Matthews engaging in 1v1s against TR's FBs are compelling avenues for chance creation. On the other hand, I'm not sure how well Eyzaguirre and especially Alba will be shackled when it's their turn to attack. In fairness to Matthews, there was an interesting snippet of him tracking back against Nilton in that England vs Brazil match that was recently uploaded, but I'm not sure how regular a part of his game that was, and I'm not convinced that Deyna or Bozsik are necessarily the guys to track the nippy Alba either.
I bought it. My thoughts were the same.

Pat_Mustard

I bought it. My thoughts were the same.
Good man! Gio in the first round, particularly sporting a top left winger against Eyzaguirre, was always going to be a tough contest but I'm glad it was close. I thought @TheReligion built a lovely team here with one of the tougher liabilities to sell.

Well played @Gio

Physiocrat

Has No Mates
Good man! Gio in the first round, particularly sporting a top left winger against Eyzaguirre, was always going to be a tough contest but I'm glad it was close. I thought @TheReligion built a lovely team here with one of the tougher liabilities to sell.

Well played @Gio
The Enrique- Kante axis was excellent cover for Eyzaguirre.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers

Yeah the team is tiny. Only realised after I'd drafted the whole thing.

Well played @Gio
Are we treating this as a draw or counting your vote as the manager's one? I'm easy.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
That Kane as CF. Is this the same Kane that always dropping deep and need fast players around him?

Then @Edgar Allan Pillow commenting my wingbacks (Irwin and Ze Roberto) in back 5 as "really bad" but then approving Alba and Eyzaguirre in back 4? Hmm...

TheReligion

Abusive
Hey just seen this and managed to get online briefly.

Thanks for everyone being so understanding, especially @Gio and sorry I’ve not been around to get this game done earlier or get involved.

Big thanks to @Pat_Mustard for stepping in for me and I’m glad my team went down well with everyone and it got a fair shake.

It’s nice when people can see what you’re trying to do with a build like this.