g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Mavericks and Liabilities Draft SF - Prolifik v Skizzo

Who will win?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
TEAM PROLIFIK

Liability #1: Sergio Ramos

Ramos moves out to wing-back where he can indulge his attacking instincts with Bergomi covering behind. Young Ramos in particular was excellent going forward, and in this setup he's less susceptible to being exploited in one-on-one matchups.

Liability #2: Ronald Koeman
Koeman's weakness is his lack of pace which can be more exploitable as a libero/centre-back. We've instead moved him into midfield where he can use his vision and distribution run the show from deep. He and Scholes will dictate from deep.

Liability #3: Fernando Hierro
To be honest, I'm not quite sure what exactly makes Hierro a liability, but he should do well in the libero role with Bergomi and Van Dijk either side of him. Between Hierro, Koeman, and Scholes, the range of passing in this team is unmatched.

Maverick: Paul Gascoigne
Gazza is once again the most advanced of a midfield three. Scholes replaces Kante to provide an additional attack threat with his playmaking and eye for goal. Villa will often drift out to the left channel to help compensate for the width we lose in dropping Pires and Conti.

TEAM SKIZZO

Liability - Frank de Boer

De Boer going from a back 3, to a back 4, and now a back 5. Tactically versatile, he’ll have more freedom to get forward now with a solid defensive cover from the defense and midfield, he’ll look to link up down the left with his pace and passing ability.

Liability - Steven Gerrard
Gerrard shuffles into a more central role here, and will look to bomb forward and offer his all-action style as he looks to get into the thick of things. He has a solid midfield base in Tardelli and Goncalves, allowing him more freedom in getting forward and roaming in the inside right channels.

Liability - Trent Alexander-Arnold
Seeing his stock drop rather rapidly, there’s still a lot of things TAA does right. Here we have cover in the form of a solid defense, with pace and tenacity, and the assistance in midfield of Stevie G. TAA would look to bomb forward, link up with the attack, stretch the play and deliver crosses into dangerous areas for the forwards, and cut backs for the onrushing Gerrard

Maverick - Dennis Bergkamp
Bergkamp continues to play off a strike partner here, and would have the freedom to roam around as needed to get on the ball and impact the play. With a strong midfield two behind him, speedy wingbacks to stretch play, and Gerrard who will draw attention in the inside right channel, Bergkamp can look to drift around and pull strings as needed. He can drop deeper between the lines to help start the move, and also get in and around the box to get on the end of the wide players crosses, and link up with the technically sound Elkjaer.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
First thought — all that glorious long passing of Koeman, Scholes & to a lesser extent Hierro seems to be significantly underutilized with only fullbacks to provide width there. Not that they're limited to passing wide but you'd want the field to be stretched as wide as possible with such passers in the team.

@Skizzo 's team seems better suited to its players' strengths even though I would've liked a more of a playmaking presence (not necessarily a pure playmaker — someone like Tigana) in the place of Tardelli.

Skizzo

Good luck @prolifik :)

@Skizzo 's team seems better suited to its players' strengths even though I would've liked a more of a playmaking presence (not necessarily a pure playmaker — someone like Tigana) in the place of Tardelli.
I did go back and forth with having a more creative presence there, but ultimately wanted to make sure we had enough defensive presence to cover our own players (Gerrard, De Boer, and TAA) while also being mindful of the attacking players on the opposite side in Gazza and Scholes. Tardelli seemed the best of what was available for who was left, considering Tigana, Souness, Vieira etc were all gone already.

Himannv

Both teams are set up very similarly. Not sure who to vote for yet. I was leaning towards Skizzo, but every time I look at it again I seem to change my mind.

prolifik

Which version of Scholes is this? @prolifik

You've alluded to him being the DLP version in the OP but the way he's positioned on the graphic makes me think it might be the younger version here.
I didn't mean he'd be the literal DLP (that's Koeman's role), I just meant he'd be deeper and more involved retaining possession than Gazza. It's meant to be prime/turn of the century Scholes.

Physiocrat

Has No Mates
This is very tight but I am going for Prolifik on the basis of greater creativity in midfield. Both sides though could do with some widemen.

Demyanenko_square_jaw

Thinking Koeman and Hierro are better swapped. Also don't really like Cole as wingback.

How good a width provider was Frank de Boer?
Here's a game of him at left-back at about 21 years old i watched yesterday. I always thought he was a slow player ( which seems to be common trait in a lot of the defensive players picked as liabilities) but seeing the mention of him having pace had made me realise all my clear memories was of him as a CB later in his career.

He still looks like a player with average pace here imo, especially by fullback/wingback standards of the time. The one time shown where he has to defend the ball being played into space as he's running back, he gets easily beaten in a sprint and ends up giving away a free-kick. he also shows little agility/acceleration when trying a dribble. It's a good performance overall...seems to get into supporting side-midfielder/attacking positions well enough, but hard to say too much about off the ball stuff in comps like this where you can't see the flow of the full game. Already a very calm, intelligent looking player with touch, vision and passing ability well above the usual good young fullback.

Šjor Bepo

Wout is love, Wout is life; all hail Wout!
there is a popular belief that Trents issues would be fixed if he played in a back 3 system and while that might be right, i have major concerns of him on the offensive end in that system...
average athletic capabilities, cant really dribble, doesnt carry the ball....have a feeling he would have big problems on the offensive end, he is more of a playmaker rather then a runner which you need in a back 5 wingback

Physiocrat

Has No Mates
there is a popular belief that Trents issues would be fixed if he played in a back 3 system and while that might be right, i have major concerns of him on the offensive end in that system...
average athletic capabilities, cant really dribble, doesnt carry the ball....have a feeling he would have big problems on the offensive end, he is more of a playmaker rather then a runner which you need in a back 5 wingback
What do you reckon his ideal position? RB behind more of a classic right winger?

Šjor Bepo

Wout is love, Wout is life; all hail Wout!
What do you reckon his ideal position? RB behind more of a classic right winger?
No idea, maybe...or just use him like Klopp did. He did great there before, it went to shit once he believed his own hype and started to act like a lazy twat on the pitch + karma hit him badly as the team went to shit as well so he played/looked even worse.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
Here's a game of him at left-back at about 21 years old i watched yesterday. I always thought he was a slow player ( which seems to be common trait in a lot of the defensive players picked as liabilities) but seeing the mention of him having pace had made me realise all my clear memories was of him as a CB later in his career.

He still looks like a player with average pace here imo, especially by fullback/wingback standards of the time. The one time shown where he has to defend the ball being played into space as he's running back, he gets easily beaten in a sprint and ends up giving away a free-kick. he also shows little agility/acceleration when trying a dribble. It's a good performance overall...seems to get into supporting side-midfielder/attacking positions well enough, but hard to say too much about off the ball stuff in comps like this where you can't see the flow of the full game. Already a very calm, intelligent looking player with touch, vision and passing ability well above the usual good young fullback.

Him and his brother were cross country / long distance running champions in their youth. Gave them a good engine for jogging around for 90 minutes, but the wrong physical profile forexplosive power traits (speed, acceleration, jumping).
Agreed. Mainly why I put him in that weird 3331 shape in the last game.