Max Aarons

andersj

Nick Powell Expert
Well yes, because he is their best defender and very good at 1v1's. It's a simple equation.

Van Aanholt good going forward, not so good defending.

AWB defending very good.

I think if people expect him to come in and suddenly give us the same output as Trent Alexander they'll be in for a surprise, but he should make us way more sturdy and not so easy to counter especially.
AWB is isolated, a better defender than Robertson and TAA. But Liverpool will still defend better with players like Robertson and TAA. Because their ability on the ball helps make Liverpool a team that dominate games.

In my opinion, we should try to move in the same direction.

andersj

Nick Powell Expert
Obviously he hasn't proven/shown it regularly, but all we have is bits and pieces to see how good he is on the ball. He is by far the best defender so it makes sense to play him defensively than Van Aanholt.

Btw did anyone argue AWB is a great attacker? All i remember is me and others argued he is good enough attacker as his link up play, driving runs, ability in tight space is all good and he lacks crossing technique.

Also going by proven, it's equally and even higher risk to rely on player who played in Championship and didn't prove anything in PL isn't it?
Im not sure I agree with the bolded part. I think it looks Palace-level.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
I know AWB is better on the ball than Smalling. But it is also more important that he is considering he will be an attacker for big parts of the game.

Being a good dribbler and good at carry the ball means very little. Just look at Adams Traore. TAA barely drible. Robertson drible less than once per game. They are both great attackers! Why? Because of their passing, crossing and link up. They also have great movement into and around the penalty area. They are good at finding opportunities to attack the other team, both with and without the ball. That part is a brains game and I guess we can just call it flair. AWB might have that in his locker. But he has not proved it at Palace.
They're also performing that well because they're managed by a top class coach and part of a team that elevates it's constituents. There's no chance Robertson would be that good in attack for us.

I think your post above about your view on AWB could come true. But I can see it going the other way too - AWB establishing him as one of the best rather than trailin behind others. Ideally I too would like an attack minded RB who is superb on the ball without a doubt. But he seems the best package for us right now.

Leg-End

This would really be an excellent signing at a sensible price.

dev1l

Hope so. Not paying 50-70million on some kid who has one successful season and when the best CB cost the scousers 70million only.
Looking like mugs.
Make sense.
Much also depends how Norwich want for Aarons.
But 50m for someone who had one good season is insane.
Also, if we abandon signing AWB, we send a message to other clubs that we will not allow to be blackmailed by selling clubs

AJ10

Offer them the premier league experience of Jones/Rojo/young and see if they're stupid enough to take that.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Would be a brilliant signing as far as I'm concerned. If are to buy a young RB then he's ahead of Wan Bissaka for me.

settembrini

He's a very talented young player and will cost a lot less than Wan-Bissaka. He's more rounded than Wan-Bissaka, not a defensive monster but a better attacker.

However he's also a teenager who has only had one season in the Championship. I think based on his potential he could become a starter for us but we would certainly see a lot of Young starting games for us next season, which would obviously be brutal.

Cabin Clown

Would like for us to just go and get Max and AWB please. I'm sure with AWB's playstyle he'd be excellent on the right of a back 3 (with Max as RWB). Could play out with the ball, and already a defensive beast.

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
Offer them the premier league experience of Jones/Rojo/young and see if they're stupid enough to take that.
fixed

All you need is for them to read the Caf. I guarantee you they wont want any one of our players.

cloyton

Would like for us to just go and get Max and AWB please. I'm sure with AWB's playstyle he'd be excellent on the right of a back 3 (with Max as RWB). Could play out with the ball, and already a defensive beast.
Agreed. I would love to sign them both - would be great to show some real intent from United to turn things around this season.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
First of all I am a fan of AWB. Defence should be seen as a unit with strengths being exploited and weaknesses being covered by other players and a defensive fullback like AWB would suit us in a defence that lack top quality CBs, it has a DM whose in decline and who might lose DDG. However if Palace is truly asking for 50m-60m then I wonder if its worth signing AWB. Or better still, if there are better options out there.

As said, we'll need a defensive FB in the team and AWB fits the bill. Having said that, this role can be covered by Hysaj & Shaw. Hysaj has ample experience. He's a great FB, he can cover both rear flanks and is currently available at around 25m. If we can persuade Norwich to sell MA for lets say 20m then we'll have 2 attacking FBs and 2 defensive FBs, all at the right age at the price of AWB. We could go full defensive with Hysaj and Shaw on both rear flanks or full attacking mode with MA on the Right and Dalot on the left. That would certainly give us options.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Make sense.
Much also depends how Norwich want for Aarons.
But 50m for someone who had one good season is insane.
Also, if we abandon signing AWB, we send a message to other clubs that we will not allow to be blackmailed by selling clubs
And we abandon the chance to sign the best young defender in the PL

Adnan

Talent Spotter
I think he'd bench Young in no time. I really believe this kid is the real deal. Can attack and defend. Very quick and technical player.

AJ10

fixed

All you need is for them to read the Caf. I guarantee you they wont want any one of our players.
Yes every club looks at forums before buying a player rather than watching them on the pitch, that is more important :rolleyes:.

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
Yes every club looks at random forums before buying a player rather than watching them on the pitch, that is more important :rolleyes:.
:lol::lol:

We have a huge scouting network and yet, we come up with lemons. I bet they are reading random forums instead of watching them on the pitch. Scamming on their expense claims too.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Wouldn't mind him or AWB. Anyone but Young as RB.

AJ10

:lol::lol:

We have a huge scouting network and yet, we come up with lemons. I bet they are reading random forums instead of watching them on the pitch. Scamming on their expense claims too.
It certainly feels that way with some of our signings.

Jacob

If this is true, I respect that we refuse to pay over the odds for AWB. This is more than Glazer's profit margins, it's about sending a message.

The market has clearly gone out of hand lately and we should refuse to get carried away.

dev1l

And we abandon the chance to sign the best young defender in the PL
Not so sure of that...he may become the best but not there yet.
Passing apart. The way he tackles (ie let's the opposing player go.past him then he goes in sliding), will make him more vulnerable to injuries.
Better defenders know how to do sliding tackles but use it less frequently because they re well placed

davidmichael

https://www.skysports.com/share/11744622

I’ve not seen much of Aarons to be honest but heard great things, potentially how good is he ? Is he a better choice than Wan-Bissaka ? He’s a much more modern full back isn’t he (Aarons) in the sense he’s more TAA than Wan-Bissaka ?

Mark1361

What happened with this place? Few months ago rumours about James, Longstaff, Aarons...would cause total meltdown here( and with that dozens of good jokes). Now people react positively on every Championship player. :confused:

Because they given up hope of us coming anything other then a team that buys second rated players. Every single player we looking to sing this summers is gibberish stories made up by the news papers about super stars that we can not afford. Or second rated player on a hope.

At this rate why not buy 22 championship player and get us prepared for life in the championship in about 5 years we be fighting relegation if we keep buying player that are second rate. Not good enough what for a club the size of Man Utd. I not even excited one % about the new season what so ever.

Come Jan 2020 Ole will have been gone. And Ed will still be their with the Glazers shocking.

Mr.Plow

Signing another prospect when we already have Dalot and no first choice RB? feck off.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Clear that Ole doesn’t fancy Dalot to me. The idea of even considering a 19 year old right back signing days enough.