Meaningless Social Media PR Wall of Shame

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama
Presumably, his 'team' sent him a list of options with the title 'captions'.... Does he really need a social media team? I'm not a social media person so don't know how often he posts, but surely he could create a genuine, personal post for a long-serving team member?

Surely a blip like this shows how pointless a social media team is. Show responsibility for your own posts and take control!
I think it's much more likely one social media worker sent a bunch of options to his / her supervisor, who then copy-pasted the first one into the post. I don't think Rashford even touches the account.

sugar_kane

This is the man we're supposed to believe initiated and drove a social media campaign against government policy? Yet can't post something nice about his team mate of many years. I don't get it.

Maybe the whole thing was a 19 year old intern called Julie who fed the kids, Rashford just turned up for the photoshoots.

Don't get me wrong, if I were a footballer I'd outsource my social media presence too. Millionaire, who has time for that shit? But in this case because so much reputation, recognition and reward was given to a social media campaign he supposedly ran it isn't a good look to be exposed as someone who clearly has very little to do with his own social media activity
Clearly it was mostly not him and I hope one day he admits to it.

The best case scenario is that he said to his people that he’s really passionate about the subject and could they help him get the word out.

Worst case is that it was more cynical than that and his people spied a perfect bandwagon to jump on and build his image around.

He binned off his PR team a couple of years ago and surprise surprise the whole people’s hero persona suddenly disappeared. I suspect he realised he was being used and couldn’t be arsed with it anymore.

The whole notion of him eloquently taking down MPs with tightly worded tweets was fantasy and we all bought into it because the stress of the pandemic had melted our brains a bit.

He’s a bright lad clearly, but it was all too perfect to be real.

hobbers

Surely obvious that Rashford puts the same effort into writing his tweets as he did his books. i.e. none.

He's a footballer who other people use as a face for PR.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
PR team for individuals, not organizations are a bunch of window lickers. Its probably a group of people that offer services to famous individuals. Theres a chance they also work with other people outside of Rashford.

Halftrack

Rashford can be passionate about feeding kids and post about it himself on his public facing social media accounts, and also leave the majority of day-to-day updates and platitudes to be handled by a PR firm.

P-Ro

"Full Member"
Supports
Chelsea and AFC Wimbledon
Rashford can be passionate about feeding kids and post about it himself on his public facing social media accounts, and also leave the majority of day-to-day updates and platitudes to be handled by a PR firm.
Shocking that he cares more about hungry kids he's never met than his teammate.

Halftrack

Shocking that he cares more about hungry kids he's never met than his teammate.
You're joking, but some on here are so primed to attack anyone related to United that they immediately jumped to the conclusion that his campaign to feed kids was run by his PR people.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
Maybe it was intended. Maybe its to show that Rashford's relationship with DDG is a neutral one, not very special or anything but still mates. Need to be careful not to be associated with a doughnut stealer.

Anustart89

Footballers either getting advise on what to post or just having someone else post for them is both sensible and boring as feck.

I miss the days of "Do you need picking up in the morning Rio"?
shut up u egg

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Presumably, his 'team' sent him a list of options with the title 'captions'.... Does he really need a social media team? I'm not a social media person so don't know how often he posts, but surely he could create a genuine, personal post for a long-serving team member?

Surely a blip like this shows how pointless a social media team is. Show responsibility for your own posts and take control!
Every single athlete at that level has a social media team. And yes they absolutely need them.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
This is the man we're supposed to believe initiated and drove a social media campaign against government policy? Yet can't post something nice about his team mate of many years. I don't get it.

Maybe the whole thing was a 19 year old intern called Julie who fed the kids, Rashford just turned up for the photoshoots.

Don't get me wrong, if I were a footballer I'd outsource my social media presence too. Millionaire, who has time for that shit? But in this case because so much reputation, recognition and reward was given to a social media campaign he supposedly ran it isn't a good look to be exposed as someone who clearly has very little to do with his own social media activity
Why do we have to go down the conspiracy theory route FFS? What is wrong with asking for options for a good bye message? Simple feck up to just erase the opening line. I'm horrible at writing cards, always ask the wife for an example or Google it and then copy it in if it's online. Nothing wrong with it at all.

DOTA

wants Amber Rudd to call him a naughty boy
What's controversial about that?
This one changed when I clicked reply.

I'll plough on, I guess. It obviously depends what is meant by 'was run by his PR people'. Suggesting other people were helping him behind the scenes is not remotely controversial. However, I think some people are trying to imply (or openly state) that Rashford shouldn't get the credit he does for it, as they think he didn't have much to do with it. That is a completely ridiculous idea.

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
This one changed when I clicked reply.

I'll plough on, I guess. It obviously depends what is meant by 'was run by his PR people'. Suggesting other people were helping him behind the scenes is not remotely controversial. However, I think some people are trying to imply (or openly state) that Rashford shouldn't get the credit he does for it, as they think he didn't have much to do with it. That is a completely ridiculous idea.
Yeah I changed it as I was genuinely curious.

Agree with that too - he deserves all the credit.

Halftrack

What's controversial about that?
What DOTA said, pretty much. Some seemed to jump to the conclusion that it was cooked up by his PR team, people rather than it being something he genuinely cares about.

stw2022

There just seems a contradiction between someone who supposedly single-handedly took on the government to affect a policy change in the DfE, created a social media campaign that led to endorsements, book deals, personal accolades, a trip to Buckingham Palace and meetings with world leaders - whilst also not being able to think of a perfunctory few words to say about a departing team mate.

He isn't alone. Half of these celebrities who get asked to front various campaigns and charities, don't actually have a clue what's going on either.

"I feel really passionate about this cause or event."

It's celebrity culture: go here, Tweet this, say that. On Friday we've got a photoshoot for a book we've written for you; here are the lines we want you to remember when you're on Lorraine plugging it next week.

sugar_kane

What DOTA said, pretty much. Some seemed to jump to the conclusion that it was cooked up by his PR team, people rather than it being something he genuinely cares about.
If that's aimed at me I said worst case scenario is it was cooked up, I think more likely is Rashford 100% did care and want to do something about the cause and the PR team took over from there.

I just find it amusing that thousands if not millions of people (myself included) got so into the idea of Rashford saving the world that they believed he wrote all those tweets, some direct to MPs, and put this down to the collective losing of our shit we all had in that traumatic first year of COVID (along with all the teddy bears in windows and bashing pots & pans on our doorstep and all that stuff that seems really surreal to look back on now...)

Read back through these tweets from 'Rashford' then watch any interview with him and tell me that's the same guy and the same voice.

https://www.theguardian.com/educati...-clashes-with-tory-mps-over-free-school-meals

“Ben, the economy already pays a high price for child hunger. If children were fed properly you would increase educational attainment and boost life chances. @KelloggsUKI calculated we would spend at least £5.2M a year on lost teaching hours as teachers are caring for hungry kids.”

He sounds like he's an up and coming Labour firebrand on Question Time, it's actually ludicrous.

I think in the end he realised he was just being used as a political pawn and that's why he binned off his PR team

https://www.prolificnorth.co.uk/new...hford-reportedly-parts-ways-roc-nation-agency

^in fact that Instagram post about missing the penalty is even more absurd and doesn't even slightly sound like it was written by him. I'm not saying the guy can't be eloquent, he's clearly a smart lad - but that is so clearly not his voice or way of speaking.

Dan_F

If that's aimed at me I said worst case scenario is it was cooked up, I think more likely is Rashford 100% did care and want to do something about the cause and the PR team took over from there.

I just find it amusing that thousands if not millions of people (myself included) got so into the idea of Rashford saving the world that they believed he wrote all those tweets, some direct to MPs, and put this down to the collective losing of our shit we all had in that traumatic first year of COVID (along with all the teddy bears in windows and bashing pots & pans on our doorstep and all that stuff that seems really surreal to look back on now...)

Read back through these tweets from 'Rashford' then watch any interview with him and tell me that's the same guy and the same voice.

https://www.theguardian.com/educati...-clashes-with-tory-mps-over-free-school-meals

“Ben, the economy already pays a high price for child hunger. If children were fed properly you would increase educational attainment and boost life chances. @KelloggsUKI calculated we would spend at least £5.2M a year on lost teaching hours as teachers are caring for hungry kids.”

He sounds like he's an up and coming Labour firebrand on Question Time, it's actually ludicrous.

I think in the end he realised he was just being used as a political pawn and that's why he binned off his PR team

https://www.prolificnorth.co.uk/new...hford-reportedly-parts-ways-roc-nation-agency

^in fact that Instagram post about missing the penalty is even more absurd and doesn't even slightly sound like it was written by him. I'm not saying the guy can't be eloquent, he's clearly a smart lad - but that is so clearly not his voice or way of speaking.
You actually thought he was personally writing the letters and tweets? Even politicians don’t do that.

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"

Yeah, I was talking about this yesterday to my gf and said I reckon he was approached by a charity (possibly thinktank) to help with the cause and it went from there. I assume it's something he does care about genuinely given his background but that all the decision-making was done by people with way more time than him.

I've personally worked in comms/marketing and seen how things written to go out to the public are created by the comms team, then signed off by the person in question (usually the CEO from my experience). I'm not sure why Rashford would be any different in this respect as PR teams are savvy and know they need to get the right message across.

Cascarino

Magnum Poopus
Supports
Swansea
There just seems a contradiction between someone who supposedly single-handedly took on the government to affect a policy change in the DfE, created a social media campaign that led to endorsements, book deals, personal accolades, a trip to Buckingham Palace and meetings with world leaders - whilst also not being able to think of a perfunctory few words to say about a departing team mate.
Im sure loads don’t care about what charities they front, and I’m sure loads do care, but I don’t know about this logic.

I used to pay someone to do my gutters, while being physically capable myself. I recently won an Oscar, but if I couldn’t spend a couple hours cleaning my gutter, how did I write that moving but stylishly understated romance?

Glorio

He isn't alone. Half of these celebrities who get asked to front various campaigns and charities, don't actually have a clue what's going on either.

"I feel really passionate about this cause or event."

It's celebrity culture: go here, Tweet this, say that. On Friday we've got a photoshoot for a book we've written for you; here are the lines we want you to remember when you're on Lorraine plugging it next week.
While thinking Rashford wrote all those tweets is dubious, the issue of feeding less privileged kids was definitely something he felt strongly about

Chipper

Adulterer.
Footballers either getting advise on what to post or just having someone else post for them is both sensible and boring as feck.

I miss the days of "Do you need picking up in the morning Rio"?
I'd guess a lot wouldn't even their own passwords these days. Too much potential for bad PR if posting angry or drunk, not that players drink often nowadays.

El Zoido

I mean, it’s a nice gesture, but there’s something about a multimillionaire footballer with so much money his pockets are overflowing with cash, handing it out to homeless people before going back to his mansion that just feels a bit off. I’m sure it was done with good intentions.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
Bringing cardboard boxes that have the text "Hobooits" on them are insulting to the homeless community.
On an unrelated note, can I have a tenner too please Rashford.

van Nistelrooy

Ten quid? The tight git!

He earns hundreds of thousands of pounds a week for doing virtually nothing. Surely he could quit posing for social media and dig a little deeper.

Come on, Saudi. Help us out!

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!
I mean, it’s a nice gesture, but there’s something about a multimillionaire footballer with so much money his pockets are overflowing with cash, handing it out to homeless people before going back to his mansion that just feels a bit off. I’m sure it was done with good intentions.
It’s dumb as feck. His advisors are idiots.

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
Supports
A Free Palestine
I don't want to be 'that' guy, but is there a reason he's done this a day after he's put in one of the worst performances I've seen in a United shirt?

The cynic in me can't shake that thought.