Melvin Bard - left back at Nice

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
In the event that our actual centre backs are injured. And if they are not, and he is fit, why would you mot just play him at left back?

The fact that he can play centre half is no reason to sign a left back. The issue is fitness, and if he’s fit enough to play in the middle, just play him on the left.
Because it puts less stress on his body, Martinez is also pretty crocked, and because you need a squad. We'll be trying to compete for 4 trophies one way or another. Nobody should have a divine right to start, you have to earn it, and Shaw would probably be first choice LB/ second choice LCB behind Martinez who also is rarely fit lately.

Personally I'd rather sign a quick LCB who can also play LB if such a one were available but sometimes beggars can't be choosers.

Remember the geese

Well apart from the issue that both will be difficult to sell.
We could potentially look to loan out Malacia with a view to selling him. Sign a top left back, possibly use Shaw as cover for both left back and centre back, whilst bringing through Amass. Though ideally we would be looking to sell Shaw too of course.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Because it puts less stress on his body, Martinez is also pretty crocked, and because you need a squad. We'll be trying to compete for 4 trophies one way or another. Nobody should have a divine right to start, you have to earn it, and Shaw would probably be first choice LB/ second choice LCB behind Martinez who also is rarely fit lately.

Personally I'd rather sign a quick LCB who can also play LB if such a one were available but sometimes beggars can't be choosers.
So if Shaw is first choice LB, and Malacia is still here, what do we do with 3 senior LBs? One would need to go if we bought one, otherwise it would literally only make sense in the event of an injury crisis in that position.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
So if Shaw is first choice LB, and Malacia is still here, what do we do with 3 senior LBs? One would need to go if we bought one, otherwise it would literally only make sense in the event of an injury crisis in that position.
Malacia could be sold if there's a suitor or stay as backup if not. It's not terribly complicated, we've had plenty of uses for spare defenders this year.

Blood Mage

Least surprising thing in the world that we're looking to raid Nice for young talents. I can see it landing us in trouble with Uefa though.

Bertie Wooster

Least surprising thing in the world that we're looking to raid Nice for young talents. I can see it landing us in trouble with Uefa though.
Why would it? RB Leipzig can sign as many RB Salzburg players as they like.
No to mention the City group...
And there were endless deals done between Watford, Udinese, and Granada when the Pozzo family owned all three.

That was particularly bad, really - I remember Watford getting promotion from the championship with loads of players on loan from the other two, who were Serie A and La Liga clubs.