Memphis Depay | Atletico player

Bwuk

I’d take him back. At the reported 30m buy back we have - that’s what we’d get if we shifted the likes of Smalling, Andreas etc.

BIGbadBOO4

Surely he is not available for 30m? I would love him back now, for me it is a no brainer. He can play across the front 3, you need depth and much prefer him then Grealish for 70 million it would take to get him.

Haddock

The contours of his nose is magnificent to behold. The way it flares out sideways but also manages to look long and rubbery when seen in profile.

awop

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Supports
Arsenal
The contours of his nose is magnificent to behold. The way it flares out sideways but also manages to look long and rubbery when seen in profile.
There is special websites for people like you. I'll send you a PM.

King Andow

Seriously? A flop that was so bad that a past it and fat Rooney outplayed him, now coming from a torn ACL. He's more of a Crystal Palace player, doesn't have what it takes to succeed at the top and we have enough players like that.

He'sRaldo

If the top scorer in Ligue 1 isn't good enough as a rotation player for us, then who is? Messi??

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Seriously? A flop that was so bad that a past it and fat Rooney outplayed him, now coming from a torn ACL. He's more of a Crystal Palace player, doesn't have what it takes to succeed at the top and we have enough players like that.
:lol:

Monkers

Memphis Depay opens door to departure: “One needs to think about his career, his ambitions. Without the Champions’ League, it is hard. For the moment, I am here.” (Téléfoot Chaine)

SplitzMagic

If he's a Crystal Palace type player then Lingard must be Portsmouth quality.

Question I would ask then... Sub on Him or Lingard?

We need depth with quality right about now, not world beaters.

Adam-Utd

He is not good enough as an all around player. We will stay away like all the best clubs.
He's a lot better than he showed with his time at United. He reached his top level only a few times at United but he did show glimpses of what he can do.

His all round game is actually one of his strengths to be honest. He's great at holding the ball up and linking.

redshaw

He was so poor for us, it's hard not to forget how he couldn't pass to another red shirt 3-4 yards away under no pressure and groan after groan from the crowd. He came alive when we played Club Brugge who were really poor back then.

He's looked good for Netherlands as well but it's not only his poor performances here but his admitted mentality, not sure we need to take a risk again. He'll be a squad player but after a while he may think he should starting every game and things go south again. I think he should be starting and be the main player at whatever club that is. He would be better than James or Lingard right now though looking at recent years but only if he understands his role here.

King Andow

If he's a Crystal Palace type player then Lingard must be Portsmouth quality.

Question I would ask then... Sub on Him or Lingard?

We need depth with quality right about now, not world beaters.
Yes. Championship/League One player. If being better than him or Andreas/James is the standard to strengthen the squad I'm sure we'll have cheaper and younger options all over the world.

Icemav

Unlike the club that made it to the semis in the CL beating Juve and City on the way?
Yes lots of players in that Lyon team we shouldn't sign. They finished 7th in the league and had a great cup run. Depay would have to operate in a pseudo 10 role. A bit of cute link up play and movement, not much dribbling, coupled with a talented shot. We don't have a need for that.

Icemav

He's a lot better than he showed with his time at United. He reached his top level only a few times at United but he did show glimpses of what he can do.

His all round game is actually one of his strengths to be honest. He's great at holding the ball up and linking.
He is better. He is at a club that supports his level and gives him the ability to prosper. When I first saw Depay I predicted he would be best suited to a pseudo 10 position because he has some game smarts and a great shot. We tried to play him as a winger and he got mopped up by prem defenders because quite frankly he is a shit dribbler. Do we have a need for him in our team/squad? I don't think so but I could be wrong. But as a squad player I doubt he would be accommodated adequately in a strategic sense.

Last edited:

Canagel

Just thinking about the fact Memphis was deemed not good enough to play for United but weve had to watch Dan James play 33 times this season.

Life is not fair sometimes

Last edited:
Just thinking about the fact Memphis was deemed not good enough to play for United but we've had to watch Dan James play 33 times this season. Life is not fair sometimes
James is not playing in his best position. That’s on the left, so if Depay was here, he would also be playing out of position - and did you forget how average he was when playing in his best position on the left at Utd?

I have nothing against Depay, and glad he’s doing well, but he’s not making me think we should have him back. We have all moved on.

Bwuk

Wouldn’t be hugely shocked if he ended up at Barca actually.

Koeman loves him.

Adam-Utd

He is better. He is at a club that supports his level and gives him the ability to prosper. When I first saw Depay I predicted he would be best suited to a pseudo 10 position because he has some game smarts and a great shot. We tried to play him as a winger and he got mopped up by prem defenders because quite frankly he is a shit dribbler. Do we have a need for him in our team/squad? I don't think so but I could be wrong. But as a squad player I doubt he would be accommodated adequately in a strategic sense.
I also agree he’s better as a striker / false 9. He could play a similar role that martial does for us now, would actually be the perfect replacement.

when he plays on the left for Lyon he doesn’t really try to take people on like a winger anymore, he plays a lot more narrow similar to mane/salah positions.

I think United we’re still obsessed with the 442 style that relies on crossing and individual 1v1 duels.

anyway I doubt we’d bring him back but we could do a lot worse than resign him.

Pretzels81

Not Salty…
Van de Beek, Wijnaldum and Depay will probably move to Barcelona this September. Another chapter of the catalan-dutch "alliance".

redshaw

It's doubtful we'd pay 30 million if just one year left with the right side needing attention.

Icemav

I also agree he’s better as a striker / false 9. He could play a similar role that martial does for us now, would actually be the perfect replacement.

when he plays on the left for Lyon he doesn’t really try to take people on like a winger anymore, he plays a lot more narrow similar to mane/salah positions.

I think United we’re still obsessed with the 442 style that relies on crossing and individual 1v1 duels.

anyway I doubt we’d bring him back but we could do a lot worse than resign him.
In that sense you could be right. However if we signed him for any other reason it would IMO be an utterly pointless and fruitless signing. Doubt he would want to be a bench player anyway.

Godfather

For all his shit games for us I still love to remember his game against Brugge. One of the best individual displays I have seen from one of our players in the last years.