Memphis Depay (stays)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Golden Nugget

63 goals in 139 apps for Lyon
12 goals in 28 apps for Barca

For a free transfer thats a decent output.
do you have the stats on how many of those were against the big clubs in France and Spain? Serious question - cos I recall from the time here, he was brilliant against the likes of Midgetland in the Europa, but struggled against the teams in the Premier League

Nights

do you have the stats on how many of those were against the big clubs in France and Spain? Serious question - cos I recall from the time here, he was brilliant against the likes of Midgetland in the Europa, but struggled against the teams in the Premier League
I think at this point, even goal output against pedestrian teams is better than Martial (who can’t get off the treatment table) or Ronaldo (doesn’t want to be here).

As long as we don’t give him a crazy contract, I think he’d be decent as a rotation option.

Alan Partridge

Hope we sign him. People complaining he’s not a world beater, but I’d take a motivated Depay over an injured Martial and a disgruntled old Ronaldo any day.

hellhunter

Eurofighter
Supports
Karlsruher SC
Everyone is now registered. And for all Romero’s bleating they aren’t getting Silva.
But they're registered because of Laporta's (and that other dude's) personal guarantees. If they don't make up that money until the window closes, Laporta will have paid personally for that

Idxomer

For Lyon, he has 1 goal against PSG and a penalty against Juve and has scored goals against Monaco, Marseille, Leipzig and Villarreal.

For Barca, he was kind of average. 5 penalty goals and failed to score or assist n the CL. He also missed a lot of games due to injuries last season.

OrcaFat

Hope we sign him. People complaining he’s not a world beater, but I’d take a motivated Depay over an injured Martial and a disgruntled old Ronaldo any day.
Yes. He’s not a world beater at all. He is better than an injured player, I’ll give him that. And Ronaldo might as well leave if it’s true he’s stinking the whole club out. In that case Depay is worth a punt.

redshaw

Seems a bit of a risk for the player if Ronaldo stays. He should go to a club where he'll play more often.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Everyone is now registered. And for all Romero’s bleating they aren’t getting Silva.
Yeah just getting players registered isnt an ideal level of financial safety though. They would like to avoid these major issues going forward so they still need to offload.

Chief123

I think Memphis would actually fit in quite well for us. He would be playing a completely different role this time. He would work well as the central striker who can link up well with the wingers and build up play. He has the strength and technical ability to hold the ball up and play others in. Similar to how Martial plays for us centrally. I think a much more experienced Memphis is a no brainer when he’s available on a free transfer.

VanDeBank

Ma’am
Doesn’t look like he is coming back. If Ronaldo doesn’t leave this has no chance of happening.
Disagree. Martial is a non factor. Happy if he's fit, but expect him not to be for the majority of the season like the last 2 seasons.
Ronaldo will struggle to play a full 90 the way ETH wants to, let alone more than once a week.

If we don't get Memphis we will be seeing a lot of Rashford down the middle or false 9 shenanigans in the starting line up. And that's without having discussed the bench or a super sub.

Memphis on a free and 200k/w is a no brainer.

Judas

Open to offers
With Antony signed, and Ronaldo staying this isn't happen, not that it ever really seemed likely anyway. We're still light in the striker department though.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Memphis is a decent player and he matured at Lyon. If rumours are correct when he left United he was full of himself, in fact he and Mariano were mentioned, Memphis apparently changed to the point were he became a dressing room leader while Lyon were happy to see the back of Mariano. Yes, he likes to rap and wear flashy things but it's not a big deal when he acts professionally as a footballer.

OrcaFat

I'd prefer that we signed Haaland and Mbappe, which we won't.
Yeah, I’m not saying we shouldn’t sign him. But the point was that his being motivated, whilst welcome, won’t make him much better and he is a bit average really. Given our CF options are very thin just now, he might have something to offer.

Crashoutcassius

Lots of people getting scammed doesn't stop it being a scam. Yes it "really exists". But in the same way the receipt for the Emperor's New Clothes might exist.

https://stephenmoore.medium.com/jac...million-has-lost-99-of-its-value-e261c214e997
The fact that something loses value doesn't make it a scam even if it loses a lot of value.

If someone had a receipt for emporors new clothes written by Hans c Anderson and sold it would it be a scam

Now what if it lost 99pct of value, is it a scam after the fact?

We need to attach intrinsic value to items regardless of price action. Saying something is a scam because it lost value is like saying x crypto has intrinsic value because is has a euro value, or because price has gone up. Flawed logic.

Nearly none of this stuff has any intrinsic value... But some will. Which will is hard to predict looking forward and easy to say it was predicted looking backward.

Obviously we know where depay nfts will likely fall in this. Just doesn't make it a scam even if people want it to be that..just bad investment in wierd speculative assets

Last edited:

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
The fact that something loses value doesn't make it a scam even if it loses a lot of value.

If someone had a receipt for emporors new clothes written by Hans c Anderson and sold it would it be a scam

Now what if it lost 99pct of value, is it a scam after the fact?

We need to attach intrinsic value to items regardless of price action. Saying something is a scam because it lost value is like saying x crypto has intrinsic value because is has a euro value, or because price has gone up. Flawed logic.

Nearly none of this stuff has any intrinsic value... But some will. Which will is hard to predict looking forward and easy to say it was predicted looking backward.

Obviously we know where depay nfts will likely fall in this. Just doesn't make it a scam even if people want it to be that..just bad investment in wierd speculative assets
No money has intrinsic value, the only reason it has value is because it's backed by the state and people believe in their ability to be able to exchange it for goods and services. Bitcoin has intrinsic value (of much lower value than its actual price) because it is theoretically untraceable as a way of moving money around - very useful for illegal trades, money laundering etc due to its inherent privacy and security. It should be banned anyway of course since it's responsible for vast amounts of environmental damage and its value is questionable to society anyway (do we want to facilitate illlict activity?).

Most coins are not secure or private, are not backed by powerful guarantees and hence no intrinsic value, they are just a scam. NFTs are a way to con people too, much like most performance art would be as an investment as it has no lasting value. Intellectual property is only valuable if nobody else can own it which is not the case with NFTs.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Has there been any rumours on this today? I thought this one was dead after ETH presser yesterday saying we're done.

MrBest

If we were to get him for free (from what I have read is still the option), I think we have to be signing him. He provides extra back up to our forward line, has good experience, can shift for a fee in 12 months if we need to. I know he is no world beater, but I would rather have cover in the event Martial cannot shift his injury issues, Ronaldo gets overplayed and Rashford form still questionable. We have a tonne of games coming up, 2 a week for a while, I worry that we are so light in attack to manage this.

Suv666

Yeah the value of $$ is backed by Uncle Sam and his democratic weapons of mass destruction. So it does have an intrinsic value.

When you're investing in dollars you're basically investing in the ability of USA to maintain its value.

Crypto and NFTs are a scam pure and simple. And claiming they are the same as regular state backed currency is dumb.

Sorry for taking it off-topic

We should get Depay

Giggsy13

I think any move for Memphis hinged on Ronaldo leaving, which is now likely not to happen.

SmashedHombre

Memberus Anonymous & Legendus
I hope we don't sign him. He's not the answer to anything, certainly not good enough, and will quickly become just another player on our books that we need to (and won't be able to) get rid of. We have enough of those already.

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
Supports
A Free Palestine
Maybe the Garner and Chong deals were done to get Memphis in. As a free transfer on a 2/3 year deal, we could do a lot worse.

colombianmancunian

For Lyon, he has 1 goal against PSG and a penalty against Juve and has scored goals against Monaco, Marseille, Leipzig and Villarreal.

For Barca, he was kind of average. 5 penalty goals and failed to score or assist n the CL. He also missed a lot of games due to injuries last season.
Hope we stay away. He’s shite. We are struggling to get rid of deadwood and people want more FFS

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.