MEN banned from the press conference today | Some journalists banned for running articles without approaching United for comment first

Hughie77

The Press report the news ? Modern Day hacks Make the News ..
About time some were banned .. they make up more bollocks now as Utd are big news anyway .

Blake's 7

Personally, I think it is a bit pathetic. A lot of sports stories in the press are click-bait, so why rise to this one and react? Sadly it reminds me of Rafa and his fact rant and we all know how that ended.
Everyone I know who is not a Utd fan is just laughing at us and its not as though Sky wont run this story endlessly. Might be better trying to get a tune out of our under performing players than picking on the press - or is the latter an easier option?

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
SAF used to use this tactic when needed. It created a siege mentality + it also placed the media in their box. Let's face it football news without us is dull.

Revaulx

Seems like a desperate move from United. Don't like what they write? Deal with it, make your arguments against their writings- don't ban the press. Pretty low from the club and i think it will backfire.

Surprised by the massive support this silly move is getting from the fans.
Should Ferguson have been sacked when he did it?

GaryLifo

Liverpool's Secret Weapon.
Doesn't matter if they can confirm it or not, 99.9% of football related journalism is made up nonsense. It's not real journalism.

Publishing articles where claims are being made by one side and not contacting the other side to seek a right of reply is not upholding any kind of standards. It's pathetic and childish and they've been met with a somewhat pathetic and childish response. But in this case, I think it's warranted.
Correct, in appropriate journalism this is why you see lines like

"The club were approached for their view but declined to comment"

or

"The club were asked about the allegations and deny that any of them are true"

By doing this, the reader can then judge for themselves what might be implied by either response. The first is more suggestive that there is truth there, the second that there may not be.

spiriticon

"Sources from inside dressing room have said that since ETH banned the media, they have stopped 'training like beasts' and ETH has now re-lost the dressing room"

Coleyoscar

So if the club doesn't confirm the story they can't run it? That's silly. Publishing stories only confirmed by the club isn't real journalism.

I don't care for the stories most sports journalists write but if they are sourced, which he claims were I don't see a problem. If United were consistent in this "policy" I wouldn't have problem with the banning either. Regardless of the success or profile of a manager, banning journalists is a terrible look.
Completely agree.
Banning journalists is not a sign of strength, quite the opposite.
What if a journalist writes a critical article about the Glazers?
Will they be banned because Joel and the corporate hierarchy don't like it?

tomaldinho1

No.
I think the recent stories of player unrest towards EtH are true and they’re getting ahead of it.

It’s no surprise that every journalist that reported on it are banned.
That's what I am saying. The club can't just say 'we don't like what you write' because it seems pathetic but that's bascially what's happening.

Superden

its all a bit childish at best banning sports journalists from a press conference about sport. some of the responses here celebrating it are also a bit odd. the entire sports / entertainment industry, you know the one that makes Utd worth x zillion pounds and allows us to pay the footballers tens of millions a year, is based on gossip and innuendo and clickbait crap. if the club wanted to make a stand they would come off social media as its a cesspit of this stuff.

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
Should Ferguson have been sacked when he did it?
Definitely not. I also don't like when manager's just ban journalists, but this isn't their core business and I would never say one should be sacked (or not) based on such things. Nonetheless I like it much more when a manager gives a shit journalist a proper hairdryer treatment (which SAF also did). It achieves essentially the same thing but looks less insecure when you look your enemy in the eye.

Oranges038

Correct, in appropriate journalism this is why you see lines like

"The club were approached for their view but declined to comment"

or

"The club were asked about the allegations and deny that any of them are true"

By doing this, the reader can then judge for themselves what might be implied by either response. The first is more suggestive that there is truth there, the second that there may not be.
A point that's missed by a lot of people who just want to shit on any decision the club makes.

Rag top football reporters can seemingly say and do whatever they like with little reproach. As soon as someone takes a stand they start crying about it. I think every club should take this stance with the cnuts, they are the ones who's careers depend on football.

spiriticon

its all a bit childish at best banning sports journalists from a press conference about sport. some of the responses here celebrating it are also a bit odd. the entire sports / entertainment industry, you know the one that makes Utd worth x zillion pounds and allows us to pay the footballers tens of millions a year, is based on gossip and innuendo and clickbait crap. if the club wanted to make a stand they would come off social media as its a cesspit of this stuff.
Press conferences are bollocks anyway. Managers repeat the same media-trained ambiguous nonsense week in week out on squad availability and tactics. "Oh yes he's back in training but we need a few more days to assess if he's fit to start".

It only gets exciting when some dickhead reporter tries to trip up a manager to comment on rumours (which feels like 99% of a United press conference), and the manager goes "no comment on rumours, we have excellent team spirit and our players all scrub each other backs in the shower"

It's so predictable these days.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
About time we start to ban all these media cnuts, until no one attend our press conference.

cyberman

Going to war against journalists never ends well.
To be fair this isn’t true. City and Liverpool have had favourable coverage for many years even when they didn’t deserve it. Difference being our lot are too accustomed to getting away with it that that they act shocked at the outcome.
Klopp has publicly shit on Pearce for years now to the point the fanbase have turned against him resulting in Pearce being over the top positive in between his critical stories

LARulz

Gossip is not from verified sources. All the top sources ask for comment, even if they don't answer then that's enough to publish

This is the right decision. If they let this slide it opens the floodgates

Superden

About time we start to ban all these media cnuts, until no one attend our press conference.
then we should start on the fans who dont clap all the way through and sing songs (but obviously not songs that are mean about our owners or their friends or our sponsors). ban the ungrateful feckers.

Piabetic

Should have let them attend and give them the Joe Kinnear treatment. Would be a bit out of character, but entertaining.

oreon

That's pathetic from Man UTD. The FA should step in. Whether you like them or not, we should not be okay with banning the press because we don't like their stories. And this far more important since UTD are a publicly traded company.
This just like the complaints for a VAR and the refs, it offloading responsibility for what's going on to a 3rd company.
The press and the stories got nothing to do why Man UTD is toxic.
It's something internal because it all the same cycle. New manager then results go to shite and then the negative stories from the press. And note, the negative press comes after the bad results and not prior.
This isn't the way to do it. And internally their message to players should be not to give on iota of what the press says. The press will praise when you're good and turn on you when you're bad. Your job is to perform regardless of what's written about you.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
Sky’s reaction is going to be the most interesting to observe. They have the ability to cause the largest amount of damage should go down that route.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
That's pathetic from Man UTD. The FA should step in. Whether you like them or not, we should not be okay with banning the press because we don't like their stories. And this far more important since UTD are a publicly traded company.
This just like the complaints for a VAR and the refs, it offloading responsibility for what's going on to a 3rd company.
It's something internal because it all the same cycle. New manager then results go to shite and then the negative stories from the press. And note, the negative press comes after the bad results and not prior.
This isn't the way to do it. And internally their message to players should be not to give on iota of what the press says. The press will praise when you're good and turn on you when you're bad. Your job is to perform regardless of what's written about you.
Press need to uphold basic journalistic integrity. In this case they have not and as such they have lost access that is a privilege not a right.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
SJR will probably give an interview once he's a minority shareholder. I hope that he will back the club by refusing to give interviews to these so called sports journalists as well. That would give the message through that the owners are a united front with the manager

fallengt

Amen
God save the rag

spiriticon

BTW United haven't banned anybody from publishing bullshit. The press are free to write.

They have only banned idiots from asking about the shit they publish at the press conference.

Herman Toothrot

I think there's a statement to be made from a position of strength. As things stand, it doesn't look good. It feels more like petulance from a man under immense pressure than it does someone cowering in the corner with their head in their hands, but its not cause for celebration.

RedDevilQuebecois

Banning the media because you don't like what they write is silly.
Seriously, I say there should be more bans across sports. Horrible journos are most often responsible for toxicity around professional clubs. And for the record, sports clubs are private entities that have rules of which outsiders must abide to. Journos should fell lucky that football clubs have not gone all out in defamation lawsuits because I'm sure some of those gossipers would either be financially ruined or even in jail if it went that far.

Luckhurst is a cnut and should have been banned ages ago. As for the other guys, they and/or their employers are among the cnuts who always hold an agenda aginst United. They all deserved the axe to fall upon them.

That's pathetic from Man UTD. The FA should step in.
:lol: :lol: :lol: