MEN: Carrick and McKenna next in line for contract extensions

McKenna is one of the highest rating coaches in England. We were all over the moon when we pinched him from Spurs
As a youth coach. To make the step up he needs time and guidance from somebody more experienced. We just dropped him in the seat and said get on with it.

Chip

feck me. Are we living in some sort of parallel universe?

Chip

I think McKenna should be kept on but in a less prominent position.
Why and in what role? Apparently the players are less than impressed by his training methods/sessions, and he's a central figure in this absolute (tactical) shitshow.

Ayoba

Poster of Noncense.
This is one final feck you from woody to the fans isn't it :lol:

croadyman

Carrick is literally listening to music during our matches. Or he's on the phone. Either way he has ear buds in for non-footballing reasons.
Get a podcast from Rangnick on there Michael you might just actually learn something about coaching then

Marcus

This will be the sign one way or the other of whether Ole is staying or leaving.

Revan

Assumptionman
McKenna is one of the highest rating coaches in England. We were all over the moon when we pinched him from Spurs
Our deteriorating in the form happened when Rui Faria left, and McKenna became the training guy.

Of course, it might be a coincidence and the entire fault was with Mourinho and Ole. But we have been playing pretty badly since McKenna got promoted and in the last three years, he has been the main coach at the club.

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.
Our deteriorating in the form happened when Rui Faria left, and McKenna became the training guy.

Of course, it might be a coincidence and the entire fault was with Mourinho and Ole. But we have been playing pretty badly since McKenna got promoted and in the last three years, he has been the main coach at the club.
Yeah, this is a pretty damning piece of evidence on McKenna's time with the first team.

hobbers

No half decent new manager is keeping McKenna as his first team coach.

Especially not the actual coaches we've been linked with, ETH Poch and Rodgers.

The best McKenna could hope for is a big role demotion. The fact the board and bean counters dont even realise this is laughable. We're going to end up paying McKenna a princely wage and for doing dogsbody work.

Anustart89

We wouldn’t have been beaten 5-0 against Liverpool if it hadn’t been for this uncertainty regarding their contract situations. If our useless board had acted quicker we would’ve beaten them 3-1 and City 4-2, which would’ve left us in a much more favourable situation. The board only have themselves to blame for dithering.

McKenna is well respected within the industry. You've no idea what his coaching abilities are.

Most Managers will clear the decks when they take over a club, but some like to keep someone from the old regime - if the a new Manager keeps anyone I'd guess it would be McKenna.

hobbers

McKenna is well respected within the industry. You've no idea what his coaching abilities are.

Most Managers will clear the decks when they take over a club, but some like to keep someone from the old regime - if the a new Manager keeps anyone I'd guess it would be McKenna.
He was well respected. And only as a youth coach.

They might keep him around, but not in charge of all the coaching, planning and running every training session, like he is now.

macheda14

After Jose left we went on an incredible run of form playing some absolutely amazing football - with players even commenting on specific bits of coaching after the game. At least in the first two games it was understood that the team had pretty much just been coached by McKenna and Carrick, so whilst Ole was purely and interim one could maybe imagine that they had far more influence. Ole then gets the job, we get injuries and immediately the tactics become very pragmatic.

There were rumours that McKenna and Carrick had a plan against Liverpool but Ole opted to play the exact same team that got torn apart by Atalanta. You say we've been playing pretty badly since he got promoted, but we've also had runs of forms where we've looked really really good, not just in moments but whole games.

It's just very hard to know quite how good coaches are when the buck stops at the manager and we don't actually see the work that goes on during training.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots

To be fair you can tell from what is going on the pitch no?

And in any case why are we extending the contracts of coaches when a new regime is imminent?

To be fair you can tell from what is going on the pitch no?

And in any case why are we extending the contracts of coaches when a new regime is imminent?
The answer to both your questions are things only within the club know.

People on here speculate and dream up scenarios that have no basis in reality, then argue about it.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
Carrick is literally listening to music during our matches. Or he's on the phone. Either way he has ear buds in for non-footballing reasons.
Actually it was confirmed in an official United podcast he likes to listen to whale sounds as it helps him to concentrate on the action and keep the crowd noise out during games.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
The answer to both your questions are things only within the club know.

People on here speculate and dream up scenarios that have no basis in reality, then argue about it.
That is not even a valid argument. You can look at the quality of coaching of a side by looking at the end product which is the matchday performance especially if the same coach has been in a prominent position for close to 3 years.

Flytan

Yep I agree. Actually carrick could have done with proper help too
I think it's a constant theme for us, we even rushed Giggs to be an assistant coach instead of having him learn from the bottom up. It's a conscience choice from the club. I think pretty much all of our coaches (who yes are bad) have had their careers hindered by starting too far up the ladder.

Wonder the success rate of coaches based on how they're integrated is. I know ZIdane and Pep were at youth level at some point. Were they assistant coaches to the manager of the first team originally? Obviously ours aren't learning from the best manager in the world compared to who they would have learned from.

I'm guessing the ideal scenario is: Have a good manager and assistant coaches. Throw a promising young coach into the mix so he can see how a club is run (correctly). Move him from that to a youth team. Then see how he does there and if he's either ready to have more responsibility or he needs to go out on his own.

We just thrust too many new coaches into the first team because they were promising without any real plan of who they would learn from.

Blood Mage

It's astonishing that the Glazers never considered sacking Woodward. Even now he is undertaking yet more financial mismanagement in giving out contracts to coaches that will almost certainly be sacked by the next chairman.

That is not even a valid argument. You can look at the quality of coaching of a side by looking at the end product which is the matchday performance especially if the same coach has been in a prominent position for close to 3 years.
Your opinion, as an outsider looking at the club from afar, is that McKenna is a bad coach and the matchday performance reflects that.

I'm simply saying that non of us have a clue about what individual coaches bring to the set up. We don't know how Ole and Phelan use the other coaches opinions etc. We're all just guessing.

But I'm basing my view on McKenna on things I've read others say about him. People within the club or within the wider game. He does have a good reputation - and people should remember that it was Mourinho, not Ole, that brought McKenna into the first team set up.

wolvored

You can see what's going to happen here. "Mr Rodgers/TenHag/Rangnick/Bruce/Santos/Smith we would like to offer you the Utd job, but you must retain the current coaches, as ..well.. they are the Utd way".

soapythecat

Your opinion, as an outsider looking at the club from afar, is that McKenna is a bad coach and the matchday performance reflects that.

I'm simply saying that non of us have a clue about what individual coaches bring to the set up. We don't know how Ole and Phelan use the other coaches opinions etc. We're all just guessing.

But I'm basing my view on McKenna on things I've read others say about him. People within the club or within the wider game. He does have a good reputation - and people should remember that it was Mourinho, not Ole, that brought McKenna into the first team set up.
It would be interesting to see if Ole was let go but the coaching staff retained, what the incoming manager would do.
Jose brought McKenna in after Faria left, and if memory serves, we were doing quite well under Jose to this point. I'm going to have to look back at results, but this change and Sanchez arrival does sit in my mind as turning points for Jose.

Rhyme Animal

Thinks Di Zerbi is better than Pep.
what the hell is going on ? I'm really struggling to believe this isn't some giant piss take .
Likewise… I’m at the point where I’m wondering if the club is being purposely sabotaged from the inside… seriously.

What ON EARTH have these coaches done other than fail in MULTIPLE regimes now!?

They should be first out the door ffs, even before Ole!

Glazers must use them as an ear in the dressing room or something because as coaches they’ve failed under multiple managers and are clearly not worth giving new contracts to.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne

Also the only tid bit about McKenna is his sessions are a bit "school mastery", yet people are bigging up Conte's team and impressed by fitness coach nicknamed "the marine"

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...

Especially not the actual coaches we've been linked with, ETH Poch and Rodgers.

The best McKenna could hope for is a big role demotion. The fact the board and bean counters dont even realise this is laughable. We're going to end up paying McKenna a princely wage and for doing dogsbody work.
He’s already had one of the best managers ever in Mourinho promote him to first team coach so that is clearly wrong. Mourinho has then gone on to glowingly praise him. He’s also loved by the technical director of the FA (the biggest producer of talent alongside France.) So clearly hasn’t had an issue impressing a decent level of people.

That’s also a pretty terrible list of managers who will “especially“ not keep him, considering he knows two of them. He worked with Pocchetino for over 4 years and they know each other well. Funnily enough he also spent some time with Brendan Rodgers when Liverpool tried to poach him. Another disciple of Mourinho, Rodgers is also Northern Irish and the two have often been compared. So two coaches that actually know him very well will actually be certain to keep him on.

McKenna isn’t going anywhere until he decides to be a manager himself.

McKenna’s “princely wage” during his entire time at the club amounts to less than Pogba’s wage while he serves his suspension for his moronic red card. So the fact you bring that up is laughable

hobbers

He’s already had one of the best managers ever in Mourinho promote him to first team coach so that is clearly wrong. Mourinho has then gone on to glowingly praise him. He’s also loved by the technical director of the FA (the biggest producer of talent alongside France.) So clearly hasn’t had an issue impressing a decent level of people.

That’s also a pretty terrible list of managers who will “especially“ not keep him, considering he knows two of them. He worked with Pocchetino for over 4 years and they know each other well. Funnily enough he also spent some time with Brendan Rodgers when Liverpool tried to poach him. Another disciple of Mourinho, Rodgers is also Northern Irish and the two have often been compared. So two coaches that actually know him very well will actually be certain to keep him on.

McKenna isn’t going anywhere until he decides to be a manager himself.

McKenna’s “princely wage” during his entire time at the club amounts to less than Pogba’s wage while he serves his suspension for his moronic red card. So the fact you bring that up is laughable
Okay Kieran, calm down.