MEN: Manchester United step up transfer activity after Crystal Palace defeat

makes new threads with tweets in the OP

romufc

Brilliant, everyone be prepared to move from monitoring to preparing for a bid.

RashyForPM

:lol: Let’s have a thread bumped after every defeat called ‘Predict the leak!’

What a joke.

RashyForPM

Annoying that it took an embarrassing loss for them to pull their finger out.
They ain’t pulling anything out. This is just a vain attempt to appease the fans. It’s easy to see through.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Annoying that it took an embarrassing loss for them to pull their finger out.
It's pathetic.

The lack of planning at this club is truly astounding. And i'm sure some people will say "oh but we we're probably going to sign these players anyway..." well then why the feck are they not here already?

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
Brilliant, everyone be prepared to move from monitoring to preparing for a bid.
In talks FC ;)

It's pathetic.

The lack of planning at this club is truly astounding. And i'm sure some people will say "oh but we we're probably going to sign these players anyway..." well then why the feck are they not here already?
We knew a brief was coming. One always comes after a s-t result.

I don't think there's a lack of planning at United, I just think the people doing the planning lack the requisite sporting expertise to plan well. I think the suits at United genuinely thought, after last year's finish, that they didn't need to add much to the squad. Human factors like tiredness, boosting morale by bringing in new signings and showing ambition, they don't consider or even understand such things. It was only when they saw how deflated the team was on day one of our season that they woke up. Its one of the many reasons why we really do need a Sporting Director. The string pullers at United simply don't have any feel for football.

Is this the new “looking to appoint a DOF”?
Nah mate they're saving that for the day after the transfer window closes. Once Dortmund have told us to go jump on our last minute bid for Sancho, and we've left it too late to file the paperwork to loan Perisic, the papers will start linking Monchi to Man Utd. :lol:

Vault Dweller

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
It's pathetic.

Don't you know, man? Ed is a master negotiator who is waiting for other clubs to crap themselves and lower their demands for us.

All part of the genius...

Chairman Steve

I swear this is a trope at any club, and not just ours.

Spurs meekly lost last weekend, then the following days they’re getting Bale and Reguilon in, and looking at Lingard and selling Alli etc

But why it happens like that is anyone’s guess. You can speculate that a manager can sabotage it by purposely playing a shit team to show why they need reinforcements, or the playing hand so to speak in ongoing transfer negotiations is weakened due to a bad result and it’s basically “feck it, just pay the fee”

ShinjiNinja26

Absolutely embarrassing if true. So we’ll only start signing players after a bad defeat? Stinks of panic buying with no sort of planning in place. We only pulled the trigger on the VdB deal cause other clubs started sniffing about, if it wasn’t for that then that deal would probably still be dragging on right now.

RUCK4444

How come we all seemingly take this story from MEN seriously but whenever they tweet about players we say they are the worst?

Genuine question.

Infestissumam

preparing, monitoring, considering, stepping up. Lovely. Now we just need the DoF thing and it's a Bingo.

every single United fan could have told you months ago what we need to do this window. To be in this situation on September 21 is maddening.

iHicksy

Scouting targets > Monitoring Targets > Pursuing/Considering Targets> Preparing a bid > Stepping up transfer activity > No value in the market infinity cycle.

Born2Lose

Can just imagine Ed wiping the cobwebs and dust off the fax machine as I read this.

SER19

I really don't understand what the aim of this is, if in fact it is a 'briefing'. Is it to highlight incompetence?

The club could have a point about twitter hysteria if talking about the types of people demanding we sign Neymar, mbappe and Davies as if its Fifa, but surely a professional football club doesn't even notice this drivel. Most critical voices have been fairly level headed, agreed on where we clearly needed depth, and can't believe that a club of this size seemed to make no real moves to address it.

And here we are, season already started, (so harder to buy) loss already in the bag and they're turning round going, 'hang on, we might need a couple of players.'

Maddening

redshaw

We've bought another computer monitor so more people can monitor?

No Love

Ed might go down with a pulled hamstring if he steps up our activity too vehemently.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
I swear this is a trope at any club, and not just ours.

Spurs meekly lost last weekend, then the following days they’re getting Bale and Reguilon in, and looking at Lingard and selling Alli etc

But why it happens like that is anyone’s guess. You can speculate that a manager can sabotage it by purposely playing a shit team to show why they need reinforcements, or the playing hand so to speak in ongoing transfer negotiations is weakened due to a bad result and it’s basically “feck it, just pay the fee”
To be fair the Spurs rumours for both started before their loss last weekend, and they probably would always have signed Bale regardless... But yeah it does happen at other clubs and more then it really should.

If one game makes you realise you need to buy players then you've fecked up somewhere along the line

Carl

has permanently erect nipples
The MEN are always churning out crap like that. Meaningless article.

Siorac

It's pathetic.

The only thing I can think of is that we need to shift some players before buying more - but then why haven't we done that yet? I can't imagine it being that hard to get rid of some players. Clubs still sign players and our deadwood might do well elsewhere. Even subsidising part of their wages a la Sánchez is better than having them pick up the full amount here for doing nothing. Looking at you, Rojo and Jones.

red_de_pologne

A source close to United's market activity said there has been a 'shift' in their movement over the weekend as United's preference had been to make defensive signings next summer, as the MEN previously reported.

Interesting. So we wanted to leave signing a CB for next summer, but we are now thinking defence is a more pressing issue, because of one match, where we're in pre season form. We'll sign some defenders and say we left Sancho signing for the next summer.

EwanI Ted

By waiting til the last minute, Ed's helped make the start of the season even more fractured and made it appear like whoever comes in is a panic buy. Top work Ed.

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
It's pathetic.

Because the club is trying to complete the most expensive signing in british football history in a market that sees income drop substantially from a seller that doesn't care about that. We don't have a Roman or a oil state as owners, we can't just throw all the money at everything. It's crucial that we don't overextend

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Making it up as we go.

We've spent the summer flapping our wings and not getting enough real work done. Now that we've had a miserable defeat in our opening, we have no decided to "step up", as if we were all set to dominate English football a week back and didn't any any additions.