MEN: Ole Gunnar Solskjaer Q&A

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Liked a lot of what he said but this is a little worrying
It's purely a motivational speech, it's called good management.

We've obviously had no good offers for people like Rojo/Jones/Darmian, so they'll more than likely be staying unless we push them out cheaply.

It's not Ole's job to sell players, he's here to coach them. He has to keep them feeling positive and that they have a chance - which he is doing.

Imagine your boss tells you "sorry you've got no chance of playing you might as well not bother turning up" it would be demoralising as hell.

I'm sure towards the end of the window some things will happen, but we will have to accept a lower fee than we probably want for some players.

Thisistheone

It's purely a motivational speech, it's called good management.

We've obviously had no good offers for people like Rojo/Jones/Darmian, so they'll more than likely be staying unless we push them out cheaply.

It's not Ole's job to sell players, he's here to coach them. He has to keep them feeling positive and that they have a chance - which he is doing.

Imagine your boss tells you "sorry you've got no chance of playing you might as well not bother turning up" it would be demoralising as hell.

I'm sure towards the end of the window some things will happen, but we will have to accept a lower fee than we probably want for some players.
Yeah from that point of view it makes sense. But from the shifting out the deadwood point of viewing it's a bit concerning that we might end up with Rojo, Darmian etc still at the club this coming season. Hope you're right and they're gone by August 8th or whenever the deadline is.

MisterLupus

It seems like a huge gamble to go into the season without bringing in at least one central midfielder. It's far more important than signing another central defender, in my opinion.
I disagree - our defense cost us top 4 last season and it would have been way worse without DeGea constantly bailing them out most of the season. Our misery of a finish was in large parts down to two things - major blunders and complete chaos at the back - which was just business as usual to be brutally honest - combined with DeGea suffering an uncharacteristic drop in form. We would probably have looked like that the entire campaign if we weren't blessed with a world class goalkeeper as we only have one CB that's truly up to standards (Lindelöf).

A good and reliable CB will not just solve much of what caused our downfall the last couple of months - but also reinforce our central midfield by providing them with both security and support thus making their jobs easier. This does not necessarily work the other way around - if we were to get a midfielder. Ideally though we'd get both - because Herrera was a big loss - but having to choose just one I'd say our defense should be prioritized.

Last edited:

Copa Mundial

My concern at the moment is that there is far too much of a reliance on players having to 'step up'.

Periera, Fred, McT, Rashford, Martial and Lingard will feature heavily next season but are still no way near delivering on a consistent basis what is required for Utd to be successful.

Add to the above that Matic's best years are behind him, Pogba and Lukaku's futures are uncertain and that AWB, Dalot and James are still very raw and I am struggling to be optimistic at the moment.

I'm loving the fact we are giving responsibility to the younger players (Lingard??) but every team must have a stable platform on which to build.

Managers often talk about the importance of having a good spine in the team. We have DDG who is great, but not a leader, Lindalof is OK but hardly a Terry, Adams or Kompany type, no DCM and Rashford who is hit and miss at the moment.

Its certainly not time to press the panic button, I genuinely do trust Ole, he's a solid, loyal and reliable guy, but I think we can all agree that going into next season this squad is very light on experience and quality. Certainly the weakest squad I can remember.

Please, please please Ed can you spend some more cash.

Catt

Ole's at the wheel!
Overall it's good to have Ole back at the club. The negativity towards him is a bit astonishing. He's quite suited to be the head coach, IMO.

A few things i would like to add. Fellaini and Herrera left and there's no new midfielder coming in. Him mentioning the high prices and the criticism of some the fans weren't necessary.

We want to challenge for the top honours again, after last year fans especially when paying ticket prices have a reason to be sceptical about the quality of some of the players.
How do you know that no cm is coming this window?

hobbers

McTominay+Pereira stepping up is the Herrera replacement?

... okay.

And this is the same summer where any sane manager would also be replacing Matic because he clearly isn't anything like good enough to play in a CL qualifying side.

croadyman

I am not going to lie that quote about Pereira & McTominay covering Herrera suggests we aren't even buying 1 CM let alone the 2 we need.

lifted

I think not bringing in a direct Herrera replacement and giving chances to McTominay and Pereira is the right decision. I've no doubt we'll sign a cm but they won't be a Herrera knock off.

Bestietom

Yeah from that point of view it makes sense. But from the shifting out the deadwood point of viewing it's a bit concerning that we might end up with Rojo, Darmian etc still at the club this coming season. Hope you're right and they're gone by August 8th or whenever the deadline is.
Nobody else will pay the wages they are on, hence they are still here.

pcaming

United are an embarrassment.
As much as we dislike it, we were never going to replace everyone this summer. It's always been stated that it would take 2 or so windows to solve. We will likely sign a CB and a replacement for lukaku (who will be a better fit for the system). It won't be a complete squad, but at this point it doesn't have to be, it just needs to actually function properly. The Fernandes links, while not concrete, seem to have some substance so we're likely after at least one additional MF.

Bestietom

As much as we dislike it, we were never going to replace everyone this summer. It's always been stated that it would take 2 or so windows to solve. We will likely sign a CB and a replacement for lukaku (who will be a better fit for the system). It won't be a complete squad, but at this point it doesn't have to be, it just needs to actually function properly. The Fernandes links, while not concrete, seem to have some substance so we're likely after at least one additional MF.
Yes, any member of the team that goes, they should be replaced, with better players . Herrera, and Fellaini still has to be replaced. If Lukaku goes we need to replace him, with a prolific CF. If Pogba goes on deadline day, we are in trouble.

Thisistheone

Nobody else will pay the wages they are on, hence they are still here.
Which makes you question not just us giving them these wages but also the players themselves. Rojo was Argentine international when he joined, Darmian was an Italian international. Don't these guys want to play football and get back into their national sides.

Bestietom

Which makes you question not just us giving them these wages but also the players themselves. Rojo was Argentine international when he joined, Darmian was an Italian international. Don't these guys want to play football and get back into their national sides.
or do they just want a fat bank account.

7even

Resident moaner, hypocrite and moron
If this to you is passive aggressive, I’d suggest to you might be a bit paranoid today.

We didn’t have such psycoanalytical deconstruction of interviews before Mou, did we? Maybe we’re all a bit traumatized by his public relations violence?

There’s a lot of interesting in the interview if you read the lines in stead of between them. The Scotty/Andreas line is an example of that.

Some are not going to be happy about him expecting them to get 20+ games each. At the same time there’s an argument to be had about both having room for continued development.

He’s basicly saying 1-2 more players in and we keep Pogba and Lukaku. If they go, it’s 3-4 in.

So that’s a CB and possibly a MF.
Im sure you are a nice man but the way you start this conversation is also a case of “passive aggression”. Why be so offensive and use words like paranoid? I’m sure you can do better then this?

Criticizing your customers or supporters in any shape or form is never going to end well. Do you think those who use Twitter or other social media will listen and stop being offensive because of Ole Gunnar’s comments? Better to let other people in the organization comment on it then open up to a public battle against the “abusers”. My advice is to stay above those people.

Regarding your other comments then you’re more positive in your analysis then me. Andreas isn’t good enough if we aspire to be a top team. “Scotty” is a talented young man so with him I’m comfortable.

If we buy Maguire and one of Bruno or Longstaff then I’m ok as long as we don’t lose other key players.

Ha de!

RedorDead21

Sounds like we have no money to spend? I'm guessing the Maguire purchase will see to that. Unless we sell.

Did I read he said Sanchez could get us 20 goals? He wants to build a team around Pogba, there has been no clearing out even after the woeful end of the season and his "some of these players won't be here" statements.

Pretty big 360 from Ole it seems to me?

tomaldinho1

I have absolutely no idea how you have come to that conclusion after reading that sentence.
Actually look at what he's asked and then look at his answer. We do loads of PR work with clients and it's a textbook dodge.

Tarrou

Liked a lot of what he said but this is a little worrying
compare it to last season where Jose basically said his centre backs were crap

given he knew by then he wasn't getting a new one, I think it would have been better if he'd said something like Ole just said to pick them up

Thisistheone

compare it to last season where Jose basically said his centre backs were crap

given he knew by then he wasn't getting a new one, I think it would have been better if he'd said something like Ole just said to pick them up
Yeah totally understand it from Ole's Point of view but its the hint that we won't be able to shift the deadwood yet again, which is the worry.

Grande

Im sure you are a nice man but the way you start this conversation is also a case of “passive aggression”. Why be so offensive and use words like paranoid? I’m sure you can do better then this?

Criticizing your customers or supporters in any shape or form is never going to end well. Do you think those who use Twitter or other social media will listen and stop being offensive because of Ole Gunnar’s comments? Better to let other people in the organization comment on it then open up to a public battle against the “abusers”. My advice is to stay above those people.

Regarding your other comments then you’re more positive in your analysis then me. Andreas isn’t good enough if we aspire to be a top team. “Scotty” is a talented young man so with him I’m comfortable.

If we buy Maguire and one of Bruno or Longstaff then I’m ok as long as we don’t lose other key players.

Ha de!
You are right, and I apologize and take it back. Paranoid and passive-aggressive are two words in the same tool box used to describe not the relational side rather than the content side of people’s expression. Someone who are paranoid will tend to experience others as passive-agressive when the’re actually being polite or just trying to speak plain, while someone who is passive aggressive will tend to make people feel paranoid, or as if they feel attacked when it seems like the other is acting ‘nice’.

I’ll accept that I was infact needlessly aggressive using that word, and the tone of my post. At the same time I think you go way too far making Solskjær’s point about older and younger fans maybe having different expectations, in a very long perfectly respectful interview as a passive agressive attack. A diplomatic hint of critique is not after all passive aggression.

It’s not wise for a manager attacking the fans, but I’ll be surprised if too many read that interview and felt he was attacking them. My opinion.

About, Pereire, you are probably right, and you are not alone. I do feel though he most likely is good enough for a 20+ games role in a two-three season build up process.

7even

Resident moaner, hypocrite and moron
You are right, and I apologize and take it back. Paranoid and passive-aggressive are two words in the same tool box used to describe not the relational side rather than the content side of people’s expression. Someone who are paranoid will tend to experience others as passive-agressive when the’re actually being polite or just trying to speak plain, while someone who is passive aggressive will tend to make people feel paranoid, or as if they feel attacked when it seems like the other is acting ‘nice’.

I’ll accept that I was infact needlessly aggressive using that word, and the tone of my post. At the same time I think you go way too far making Solskjær’s point about older and younger fans maybe having different expectations, in a very long perfectly respectful interview as a passive agressive attack. A diplomatic hint of critique is not after all passive aggression.

It’s not wise for a manager attacking the fans, but I’ll be surprised if too many read that interview and felt he was attacking them. My opinion.

About, Pereire, you are probably right, and you are not alone. I do feel though he most likely is good enough for a 20+ games role in a two-three season build up process.
Apology accepted, we’re both victims of the danger of using internet when emotions are involved.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
Apology accepted, we’re both victims of the danger of using internet when emotions are involved.
:lol: hasn't this forum (and the internet in general tbf) changed over the years!

I miss the old wild west days full of lunatics insulting each other over their bizarre and strongly held opinions. Scholesy, revelz, chief torn rubber, djspaz etc.

Red00012

This is a hard one.

He don’t say anything controversial and he’s political correct about all questions who’re transfer related so why don’t I feel comfortable with some of his his answers?

“As I've said to you, we're working on one or two and we're still hoping, but I also understand that the market has changed. Prices have soared.”

“We have taken our time and we are not going to over pay,”

“There are players here that are coming into pre-season as well that (I think) 'I might just have a look at him again because if he has changed as I think he has and it looks like, he might have a career here'.”

“Many have followed as you say, successful years, but there have been many who have been before that as well. Probably them you don't see on Twitter or social media, so you don't hear from them as much.”

Andreas I expect a lot more from, Scotty I expect a lot more from. Those two between them had maybe 15-20 starts last season. You expect them to have at least 20 each this season maybe even more. That's maybe two players into one that can replace Ander.”

Once again! I don’t like when he in a passive aggressive manner criticize our supporters. That’s a battle he can’t win and I can’t understand why he’s going down that road. It’s clear as daylight that the club have media trained him in the last couple of days so then I can’t understand why they let him address this “problem”
again. If you ask me it’s stupid and counter productive.

The answers about Andreas and “Scotty” replacing Ander scares the hell out of me on so many levels. The other thing I don’t like is when he says that “prices has soured” and “we’re not going to overpay”.

I’m sorry but I don’t like it.
Ok.

Red00012

Sounds like we have no money to spend? I'm guessing the Maguire purchase will see to that. Unless we sell.

Did I read he said Sanchez could get us 20 goals? He wants to build a team around Pogba, there has been no clearing out even after the woeful end of the season and his "some of these players won't be here" statements.

Pretty big 360 from Ole it seems to me?
Hard to flog players nobody wants.

romufc

Agreed but doesn't mean to keep them as starters. I'd like to think our purchases are not so heavily linked to sales.
Yeh, but the reason we keep them, we keep giving Big contracts to players, Jones, smalling, young, mata over £100k a week which no club can afford.

Why couldnt we just let Mata go?

RedorDead21

Yeh, but the reason we keep them, we keep giving Big contracts to players, Jones, smalling, young, mata over £100k a week which no club can afford.

Why couldnt we just let Mata go?
I guess Ole wants some players he can trust first and foremost. In terms of setting the tone and example around the club. I think we are short in that dept right now. I'd rather Mata of all more experienced players who are in the "possible surplus to requirements" bracket. Jones, Rojo etc I wouldn't keep around mind. People used to buy our lesser players knowing they were getting consummate professionals if not the quality, now you don't even get that from us!

romufc

I guess Ole wants some players he can trust first and foremost. In terms of setting the tone and example around the club. I think we are short in that dept right now. I'd rather Mata of all more experienced players who are in the "possible surplus to requirements" bracket. Jones, Rojo etc I wouldn't keep around mind. People used to buy our lesser players knowing they were getting consummate professionals if not the quality, now you don't even get that from us!

Yeah I suppose so. I most definitely agree for the others. How Rojo and Darmian still around ?