MERGED - The 2010/2011 ASHES tour thread...all Ashes related chat here please!

Sassy Colin

Death or the gladioli!
Aliens are in control of my tagline & location
Thought we should have a dedicated Ashes thread as the boys are on their way now.

I'm not going to do the full preview thing, there are others on here with far more up to date cricket knowledge than I to get the ball rolling.

I mate of mine is going to Oz for the first test at Brisbane and to say I am jealous is an understatement. Hope he has a good time...

Full tour itinerary, as per the BBC website, as follows:

The Ashes: England in Australia 2010-11

November

5-7 v Western Australia, Perth
Play starts at 0230 GMT

11-13 v South Australia, Adelaide
Play starts at 2330 GMT (10-12 December)

17-20 v Australia A, Hobart
Play starts at 2330 GMT (16-19 December)

25-29 1st Test, Brisbane
Play starts at 0000 GMT

December

3-7 2nd Test, Adelaide
Play starts at 0000 GMT

10-12 v Victoria, Melbourne
Play starts at 0000 GMT

16-20 3rd Test, Perth
Play starts at 0230 GMT

26-30 4th Test, Melbourne
Play starts at 2330 GMT (25-29 December)

January

3-7 5th Test, Sydney
Play starts at 2330 GMT (2-6 January)

10 v Prime Minister's XI, Canberra
Play starts at 2245 GMT (9 January)

12 1st Twenty20 international, Adelaide (d/n)
Play starts at 0835 GMT

14 2nd Twenty20 international, Melbourne (d/n)
Play starts at 0835 GMT

16 1st ODI, Melbourne (d/n)
Play starts at 0320 GMT

21 2nd ODI, Hobart (d/n)
Play starts at 0320 GMT

23 3rd ODI, Sydney (d/n)
Play starts at 0320 GMT

26 4th ODI, Adelaide (d/n)
Play starts at 0320 GMT

30 5th ODI, Brisbane (d/n)
Play starts at 0320 GMT

February

2 6th ODI, Sydney (d/n)
Play starts at 0320 GMT

6 7th ODI, Perth
Play starts at 0320 GMT

BBC Sport - Cricket - The Ashes: England in Australia 2010-11

Jason F

Come on Aussies! By the end of the tour the Ashes will back where they belong. With Australia.

Matt23v2

It won't even be close, England easily (shit selections & captaincy from the Aussies will see to to that)

Sassy Colin

Death or the gladioli!
Ozzies lost again yesterday, to Sri Lanka. There was this Oz journalist on Talkshite this morning & he sounded almost suicidal.

If they can't step up their game, which they surely must for the Ashes, this ought to be in the bag...

zing

Zingle balls
First warm-up match..

Western Australia 109 for 3. England playing full strength. North out for 19..

zing

Zingle balls
Fancy Australia to win this, massively under-rated everywhere. First test is crucial.. if England lose that, I think they'll go on to lose the series quite badly.

Ricky Ponting will not take part in the third one-day international against Sri Lanka in Brisbane, and will instead travel to Hobart to prepare for Tasmania's Sheffield Shield game against Queensland in order to fit in as much first-class cricket as possible ahead of the first Ashes Test against England on November 25.

"As the series against Sri Lanka has been decided the National Selection Panel has an ideal opportunity to provide Ricky with two solid weeks of red-ball cricket," said Greg Chappell, who sits on the panel. "This allows him what we believe to be the best preparation to lead the Australian Test match team in Brisbane for the first Ashes Test match."

Not sure how to feel about this. I think it's disrespectful towards the Sri Lankans, but if I was an Aussie, I'd want Ponting to do exactly that. An ODI(that too, a dead rubber one) 20 days before the Ashes start is entirely pointless.

Adzzz

Astrophysical Genius - Hard for Grinner
Staff
Seemingly the only for Australia now is up. England have to be careful not to be complacent, Broad is vital. Really, we should be looking to win this but the Aussies effectively have nothing to lose and combine it with the home advantage nothing is cut and dry.

Sassy Colin

Death or the gladioli!
Good start to the tour...Strauss hits a century...will Cook's form return?...Swann England's best bowler...

Ashes: Andrew Strauss hundred sets up England tour win

Andrew Strauss will be crucial figure for England in the Ashes series

Tour match, Perth (day three):
England 223-8 dec & 243-4 beat Western Australia 242-8 dec & 223 by six wickets
Match scorecard
Skipper Andrew Strauss hit 120 not out as England beat Western Australia by six wickets in their opening three-day warm-up game ahead of the Ashes series.
The Middlesex batsman's 141-ball knock featured a six and 15 fours as he led his side home on 243-4 in Perth.
England's only concern was a second failure for Alastair Cook, who fell for nine after they had bowled out the state side for 223.
Spinner Graeme Swann was the tourists' most successful bowler, with 4-101.
Developing a winning habit early in the tour was one of England's goals on arriving in Australia and the manner in which they went about their run-chase at the Waca Ground was a reflection of the confidence within the camp.
BBC Sport - Cricket - Ashes: Andrew Strauss hundred sets up England tour win

zing

Zingle balls
Trott should open alongside Strauss, with Morgan coming in at 7.

ha_rooney

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Cook had that one fortunate century against Pak (probably a fix) but other than that he has performed terribly all summer. It's too late to change the batting order now, but I would have loved for Michael Carberry to be given a chance to show what he can do.

Fiskey

Can't stop thinking about David Nugent's hot naked
Trott should open alongside Strauss, with Morgan coming in at 7.
Prior 6? Not sure about that, ideally would have Carberry opening but I guess that ship has sailed. I wrote this article for cricket.co.uk the other day, you guys agree?

We need to talk about Kevin again - Alex Fisken
Oct 21 2010

The curious case of Kevin Pietersen. Here is a man who has not scored a test match century for 17 months. A man who has recently been dropped from the side and followed that with an outburst criticising the management. A man who has previously been seen as a negative influence on dressing rooms; a point of view that would seem to have recently been backed up by the England team advisor. One would think such a man should be nowhere near the England team, let alone dominating the thoughts and column inches leading up to the biggest series in world cricket. Yet it is not surprising when this man is Kevin Pietersen.

In recent days Pietersen has been described as ‘divisive’ by John Buchanan, a ‘match-winner’ by Michael Clarke, ‘a big question mark’ by Ricky Ponting, and ‘a class act’ by Brett Lee. The reason why he demands such attention, has such profile, is because he remains the only true great player England have. Swann has been a revelation in an England shirt, Strauss captain dependable and Bell seems to be finally coming into his own as an England cricketer.
However these players and the rest of the England team know their best efforts will count for nothing unless Pietersen is back to his best. Pietersen is the only player in that England team who can be called a match winner in Australian conditions.

His ability when on form to make a mockery of bowlers is vital beyond simply the runs he scores. The Ashes is not only the ultimate cricket test a cricketer from England or Australia can face, but it is also the ultimate mental test. We have seen many a player crack and crumble before our eyes under this very pressure. Young players with hitherto brilliant records and seemingly impenetrable techniques have often fallen fowl of this test, the most recent examples of which would be Bell, Bopara and Hughes.

The ability of Pietersen to put the opposition on the back foot, to change the momentum of the match and therefore get the upper hand in the mental game is something no other England player in this present team has. We saw Warne and McGrath do it time and time again, and it is these moments when the momentum shift is sudden and significant that win tight test matches. Think of Adelaide 2006 when Warne wrestled England from what looked like a certain draw and very credible performance to a crushing defeat or Flintoff’s heroics at Edgbaston.

It is these moments than win Test matches and Test series, and Pietersen is the only one who can provide them. Many I’m sure will be up in arms at this point over my omission of Graeme Swann as a match winner, arguing that following his recent form this is bordering on criminal. I would contest that while it has been obvious he has been bowling well he has been the equivalent of a flat track bully so far in his test career. Analysis of his stats show he has picked up the majority of wickets against very poor Pakistan, West Indies or Bangladesh sides.

His stats against more challenging sides are not particularly impressive. He averaged 39.5 on his debut in India which is just about bordering on respectability, averaged 40.50 in the Ashes last year which was frankly poor but did achieve a creditable average of 31.38 against South Africa in South Africa. However the South Africans are notoriously poor players of Spin bowling and I’m sure the challenge of bowling in Australia where the great Muralitharan only managed an average of 75.41 will be exponentially more difficult.

This is a series where two fairly average bowling attacks are pitted against each other, and it will be who can dominate with the bat that will decide the destination of the ashes. With this in mind, Pietersen becomes even more important. He is the only player currently in the widely expected line-up who can score quick runs, putting the opposition on the back foot and taking the game away from them. This ability will be crucial if 400 is regularly playing 500, if a team is unable to score their runs quickly there will be no hope of forcing a win from the match.

While Strauss will be expected to contribute and Bell looks in the form of his life, these two in test cricket play a conservative game, and have never been able or willing to dominate good test match bowling. The same could be said of Trott, whose transformation from the aggressor we saw in county cricket into an extremely dogged accumulator while bringing runs, again, fails to dominate an innings or provide the momentum changes described above. The less said about Cook and Collingwood the better. The onus is entirely on Pietersen to provide the quick runs that will be desperately needed. There is no one else, only him, and that is why he has had and is deserving of the vast amount of attention he has been getting. This is the stage for him to finally become the great batsman we all know he can be, this is the time, the only question left is does he still have it in him.
We need to talk about Kevin again - Alex Fisken - England Cricket Team News from Cricket.co.uk

Jason F

I cant believe people are tipping England, yes Australia's selections are shite and our form isnt white hot but that was not a full strength team that lost to Sri Lanka and we only just lost out in India.

Most importantly your forgetting a couple of vital things, England are shite on Australian pitches. Too quick and bouncy for your lot. The one bloke who plays well here is Pietersen and his form is rubbish, Swann is shite against Australia as well and you have no Freddie anymore.

Broad should have a good series and maybe Anderson but to be honest I would put the house on Australia this series.

In England, its a different story because we are shite over there!

Flying Fox

Ponting out for 32 in his hitout with Tassie the other day.

Dunno why they're not showing the game against SA here. Would have liked to have seen it.

Sassy Colin

Death or the gladioli!
I cant believe people are tipping England, yes Australia's selections are shite and our form isnt white hot but that was not a full strength team that lost to Sri Lanka and we only just lost out in India.

Most importantly your forgetting a couple of vital things, England are shite on Australian pitches. Too quick and bouncy for your lot. The one bloke who plays well here is Pietersen and his form is rubbish, Swann is shite against Australia as well and you have no Freddie anymore.

Broad should have a good series and maybe Anderson but to be honest I would put the house on Australia this series.

In England, its a different story because we are shite over there!
You sure?

I hardly think its as clear cut as that...

I presume your an Ozzie from your location, but your house?

I'm not saying its going to be easy for us at all, but I can't see it being a whitewash for either team...

Jason F

You sure?

I hardly think its as clear cut as that...

I presume your an Ozzie from your location, but your house?

I'm not saying its going to be easy for us at all, but I can't see it being a whitewash for either team...

Yup im an Aussie.

I am pretty confident, dont get me wrong I dont think it will be a whitewash again. It will probably be close-ish and the fact that this time you guys have come over and prepared properly will be a big help too but I think you will struggle here.

Even the difference in cricket balls will get you I think, you can swing the Duke balls all over the place but not the Kookaburra balls whereas we cant swing the ball over there but in Australia we have a few blokes that can.

Although our lack of a spinner will hurt us no end because to be honest Nathan Hauritz is rubbish. I would feel comfortable going out and taking to him!

Sassy Colin

Death or the gladioli!
Yup im an Aussie.

I am pretty confident, dont get me wrong I dont think it will be a whitewash again. It will probably be close-ish and the fact that this time you guys have come over and prepared properly will be a big help too but I think you will struggle here.

Even the difference in cricket balls will get you I think, you can swing the Duke balls all over the place but not the Kookaburra balls whereas we cant swing the ball over there but in Australia we have a few blokes that can.

Although our lack of a spinner will hurt us no end because to be honest Nathan Hauritz is rubbish. I would feel comfortable going out and taking to him!
Fair enough, but I suggest you wager something less than your house...;)

zing

Zingle balls
England doing really well in the warm-ups. I hope they don't play too many warm-ups and end up tired for the main thing.

Sassy Colin

Death or the gladioli!
Some real positives here, notably the return to form of Cook and another century for Strauss.

Tour match, Adelaide, day three of three
England 288-8d & 240-1 dec drew with South Australia 221 & 48-2
Match scorecard

England openers Andrew Strauss and Alastair Cook hit centuries as their Ashes warm-up game against South Australia ended in a draw in Adelaide.
Skipper Strauss made 102, his second hundred of the tour, and Cook answered questions about his form with 111 not out as the pair shared a stand of 181.
Rain washed out the afternoon session before England declared on 240-1.
Paceman Jimmy Anderson then picked up two wickets before bad light ended play early with South Australia on 48-2.
BBC Sport - Cricket - Ashes 2010: Cook and Strauss hit tons in England draw

ha_rooney

Strauss has been in brilliant form the past 12 months. Big century for Cook should give him some confidence, still I don't think you can say he has returned to form unless he gets another good score the next time he bats.

zub2007

If England dont win this time, i dont know when they will. Aussies are in real problems and the England team are playing so well and seem so organised and ready for this.

Flying Fox

Xavier Doherty the bolter in Australian Ashes squad | The Australian

THE Ashes has become a circus. The selectors today named a 17-man squad for the first Test, beginning at Brisbane's Gabba on Thursday week.

This is more than any overseas tour in living memory. Most overseas tours include 14 players, with Ashes tours extended to 15 or 16.

The biggest winner is modest Tasmanian left arm spinner Xavier Doherty, while the biggest loser is Phil Hughes, Australia’s regular batsman in waiting this past year, who has had a poor start to the season for NSW.

The squad is so large because Cricket Australia’s gala announcement at Sydney's Circular Quay today is so far out from first Test, which does not start for another 10 days.

With a full round of Sheffield Shield matches and Australia A playing England in a four-day match at Hobart’s Bellerive Oval, all beginning on Wednesday, the four-man selection panel was forced to keep its options open.

NSW hopefuls Usman Khawaja and Steve Smith, who are in the Australia A side, are amongst those hoping to force their way past struggling middle order players Mike Hussey and Marcus North.

South Australia’s Callum Ferguson has also been included after scoring an early shield century this season.

Queensland fast bowler Ryan Harris has been named despite serious concerns about his right knee which forced him out of the Australia A side after he was being considered as a replacement for the injured Mitchell Starc, who is out for a month with a side strain.

Harris made a fine return to first class cricket last week following a mid-year knee operation, claiming nine wickets in a strong Queensland victory, however he suffered knee swelling during and after the game.

The selection of Doherty is a worrying reflection on the state of spin bowling in Australia and a serious kick up the pants for incumbent Nathan Hauritz, who had a poor tour of India and mixed shield match for NSW against Victoria last week.

Doherty, 28 next Monday, has established himself as a fine one-day player at state level, and he made a strong one-day international debut against Sri Lanka, claiming four wickets in Melbourne earlier this month.

However his first class record is poor and he has struggled to maintain a regular place in the Tasmanian shield team at various stages during his career.

In 34 first class matches over the best part of a decade Doherty has claimed 82 wickets at the worrying average of 49 apiece.

Michael Clarke has been chosen despite ongoing back problems which flared in last week’s shield game playing for NSW.

Part time chairman of selectors Andrew Hilditch claimed his panel was being “prudent” selecting such a large squad.

“This squad of 17 will be reduced to a 12 or 13-man squad at the conclusion of the next round of Sheffield Shield games and prior to the team arriving in Brisbane for the first Test.

“The panel has been pleased with the performance of the Test side in India however we were obviously disappointed in the result (Australia lost 2-0).

“With two losses in games where we felt the result could easily have been different and we realise there are some important areas we need to improve on before this summer’s matches.

“Nathan Hauritz has performed exceptionally well over the past 12 months for Australia and one of the biggest decisions we will need to make is whether we go into the first Test in Brisbane with a right-arm off spinner or with the variation of a left-arm orthodox bowler.

“Xavier Doherty has been very impressive in both limited overs and first-class cricket, in particular last season and the start of this season, and it will be a great opportunity for us to observe both of the spinning options in the Sheffield Shield clash between New South Wales and Tasmania at the SCG this week.

“Usman Khawaja and Callum Ferguson have both enjoyed extremely good interstate seasons for New South Wales and South Australia respectively and richly deserve the opportunity to be considered for selection in this first Test side.

“The Australia A game against England in Hobart this week is a particularly important aspect of our preparation for what will be an amazing Ashes series.”

Australian team physiotherapist Alex Kountouris said Clarke experienced back stiffness during the recently completed shield match.

“He is expected to recover in time to join the team in Brisbane on 21 November to prepare for the first Ashes Test match.

“Ryan Harris has a chronic knee injury that requires ongoing management. As such he will not play in the next round of Sheffield Shield games or for Australia A starting 17 November to allow his knee to fully recover. His availability for the first Ashes Test will determined later this week.

“Simon Katich and Doug Bollinger both played grade games on the weekend and managed to get through without any problem. They will both be available to play the Sheffield Shield game for NSW starting on 17 November.

The squad: Ricky Ponting (c) Michael Clarke (vc) Doug Bollinger Xavier Doherty Callum Ferguson Brad Haddin Ryan Harris Nathan Hauritz Mike Hussey Ben Hilfenhaus Mitchell Johnson Simon Katich Usman Khawaja Marcus North Peter Siddle Steven Smith Shane Watson

Matt23v2

England should win this series easily, with Australia persisting with the 3 golden children (Hussey, North & Johnson) North & Johnson could'nt even find form in club cricket FFS

zing

Zingle balls
Are we getting a Pavillion?

We got one for the last Ashes.. this time the Ashes is followed by the World Cup..

ha_rooney

England going with their reserve bowlers in the final warm-up match. I'll be interested in seeing how Shahzad and Tremlett, I rate Shahzad and Tremlett's style should suit the Aussie pitches. Also, we'll find out if Cook has returned to some form or not.

ha_rooney

Panesar with a brilliant catch, England have bowled really well in favourable conditions, 58-4.

MUFC1902

A bloke in a Barmy Army 2010/11 shirt turned up at my local club for training yesterday. His batting = :lol: and his bowling = :lol: :lol:
I'd have almost felt sorry for the poor bastard, if I wasn't laughing at him.

Ole's_toe_poke

Ole_Aged_Slow_Poke
England have their best chance in a long time to win in Australia. The Aussies are a shambles.

I have no doubt England will manage to feck this up somehow though.

Allforone

United could spend £85million on David De Gea, Phi
Will someone please teach Kevin Pietersen how to bat against a fecking left armer, a jokes a joke but this has gone to far now, hes utterly incompetent at facing anyone who lobs a red thing southpaw! jesus christ its got to a stage where id fancy my chances of bowling him out...if i were left handed.

We all have our weaknesses but this mans been at this level for over 5 years, and has had this issue for the large majority of it, these arnt even good bowlers that are getting him out, sort it out Pietersen please its beyond embarrassing.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
I suspect it will be a competition to see who can out rubbish the other side. Both sides are rather poor at the moment.

Sassy Colin

Death or the gladioli!
Its disapointing that KP still hasn't shown his hand.

I thought he was the man for the big occasion, well its coming up next week, so lets see what your made of...

All our batsmen are getting runs except him, Bell got a century yesterday and Collingwood 74.

Step up man..ffs...