MERGED - The 2010/2011 ASHES tour thread...all Ashes related chat here please!

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
I'm glad I declined Cricket Australia's kind offer of tickets because I have a feeling this will be the worst Ashes in living memory.

Which probably means that it will be the best Ashes in living memory.

Flying Fox

Johnson uprooting Strauss' off stump would do it :D, followed up by a few at Trott's head and neck region.
:D

I'm glad I declined Cricket Australia's kind offer of tickets because I have a feeling this will be the worst Ashes in living memory.

Didn't they say the same thing about the last time they were down here?

Watched the DVD of the Adelaide test from last time out. Brilliant game.

zing

Zingle balls
Strange decision to leave Bollinger out. He seemed to be doing decently in the Sheffield matches. He's Australia's best bowler.

zing

Zingle balls
Australia
Leading run scorer - Ponting
Leading wicket taker - Bollinger(even though he is missing the first test)
Man of the series - Ponting

England
Leading run scorer - Strauss
Leading wicket taker - Swann
Man of the series - Strauss

England flop - Cook and Bell
Australian flop - no one.. expect everyone to do decently.. maybe Katich because of his injury

Series prediction: 2-1 to the Aussies

Utd heap

Models for Coin.

You mean worst in terms of quality of cricket?

As i think the actual competitiveness should be fantastic.

zing

Zingle balls
It's not like Australia have suddenly turned into Kenya. Still a very good side.

I guess we aren't getting a new forum..

zing

Zingle balls
The Ashes -- England vs Australia 1st test

Match preview here:
Australia v England, 1st Test, Brisbane: Roles reversed as Ashes battle arrives | Cricket News | The Ashes 2010-11 | ESPN Cricinfo

Expected line-ups:

Australia 1 Simon Katich, 2 Shane Watson, 3 Ricky Ponting (capt), 4 Michael Clarke, 5 Michael Hussey, 6 Marcus North, 7 Brad Haddin (wk), 8 Mitchell Johnson, 9 Xavier Doherty, 10 Peter Siddle, 11 Ben Hilfenhaus.

England 1 Andrew Strauss (capt), 2 Alastair Cook, 3 Jonathan Trott, 4 Kevin Pietersen, 5 Paul Collingwood, 6 Ian Bell, 7 Matt Prior (wk), 8 Stuart Broad, 9 Graeme Swann, 10 James Anderson, 11 Steven Finn.

The big news is that Bollinger's missing out due to a lack of match practice, and Xavier Doherty will make his debut.

Utd heap

Models for Coin.
It's not like Australia have suddenly turned into Kenya. Still a very good side.

If they're not gonig to honour us with a new forum we can just take over this one.

Yeh - the Australia thing has been over hyped - i think (we) the English are just excited that the Aussies aren't prouncing around with their usual level of superiority and confidence.

Leading us to believe that we may even compete this time.

Regardless - if we are 50-6 at drinks after the first hour i will not be the least bit suprised.

We are England after all.

Utd heap

Models for Coin.
The Doherty selection strikes me as something England would of done in the last two decades in Ashes series.

He has been picked purely on the basis that it will irk Pietersen rather than on actual bowling skill merit.

That has to be a positive for England - the Aussies are a bit scared :)

MUFC1902

Bit of an understatement, but the toss could be a good one to lose. Whoever wins will probably opt to bowl given the Gabba wicket usually does a helluva lot on the first morning, and even more so since it's been raining and more rain is forecast. Generally, if you get through that first period unscathed the pitch flattens out and becomes a dream for batsmen.

ha_rooney

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018

Don't disrespect Kenya, they made it to the WC semi-finals in 2003, which is more than what England have done in recent times (excluding T20).

I agree that Australia are not as poor as people make out, but when you consider Clarke, Hussey and North are not really in form right now and Ponting's under a lot of pressure, if England get a few early wickets, I can see Australia's middle-order struggle. The bowling as well, Siddle's been out a long time, the spinner's making his debut and with Mitchell Johnson, you never know what you're going to get.

Australia are there for the taking, it's not going to be easy but if England play as they have done the past 12 months, they should win the series. Unless Australia come out all guns blazing, I can't see them winning this series.

Spoony

The People's President
Can't wait for this. It's by far the biggest event in the cricketing calendar. Nothing else matches it.

zing

Zingle balls
The Doherty selection strikes me as something England would of done in the last two decades in Ashes series.

He has been picked purely on the basis that it will irk Pietersen rather than on actual bowling skill merit.

That has to be a positive for England - the Aussies are a bit scared :)
I think Doherty's going to surprise a few people. Saw only a few overs of him, but looked a decent bowler.

JezChan

The competitiveness is what really makes me all excited for this. England have been playing well, but have yet to prove it against a class opposition. Thrashing Bangladesh and a Paksitan rocked by the match fixing allegations doesn't quite prove that the team has bollocks. The middle order, like Australia's, is a bit suspect at times and the key to England lies in the bowling attack and how much turn Swann can extract from the pitches. On the other hand, Australia will be hurting after three consecutive test defeats, of which the middle one was very unfortunate with the massive Laxman-Sharma partnership. What's at stake will surely bring out the fire and drive missing from the bowlers and middle order.

Only 2 and a bit hours to go, cannot wait!

Sassy Colin

Death or the gladioli!
Aliens are in control of my tagline & location

You did what? :eek:

If I had the opportunity I'd grab it in a flash, seeing cricket at the highest level especially with the added excitement of the Ashes at stake in Australia...you must be mad...

Its not like watching Rangers play with 6 at the back...this is war, a chess match, trills & spills, tension...what more could you want from a sporting event?

I was hopeful of at least making it til lunch, but I'm beginning to drift away even at this stage