Messi agrees new Barcelona contract

Cina

according to the Beeb:

Barcelona announce they have reached agreement on a new contract for playmaker Lionel messi, 26. We will bring you more details as we have them.
So much for all the crazy rumours then.

Suli

"Do you get parents evening at uni?"

It feels like he signs a new contract every year :lol:

AngeloHenriquez

Supports
Stevenage
Anyone know how much Valdés was promised wage wise? He moved as he needed the money and obviously Barca wouldn't stump up, Messi really does go against their equality ethics.. Still, what are you going to buy better with the money? ;)

Mander

Think he has seven renewals since 2005, so almost once a year. Not that I'm against Messi getting top pay, but couldn't they keep the renewals down to every other year at least?

Shark

@NotShark
Just realized that he's still only 26. Madness, for some reason I thought that he was a bit older. Barca won't ever be letting him go. They'd instantly go down a level if he left.

sizzling sausages

Thinks TBP is a soft tagline whore
Scout
Anyone know how much Valdés was promised wage wise? He moved as he needed the money and obviously Barca wouldn't stump up, Messi really does go against their equality ethics.. Still, what are you going to buy better with the money? ;)
Does Valdes really need the money? He has started for Barca for over a decade, he's surely earned a nice wedge during that time?

malappapper

Does Valdes really need the money? He has started for Barca for over a decade, he's surely earned a nice wedge during that time?
He was on very high wages as well, but wanted even more (as much as Iker at Madrid I believe) Word from Spain is that he invested his money on risky assets and lost a lot of it.

malappapper

Think he has seven renewals since 2005, so almost once a year. Not that I'm against Messi getting top pay, but couldn't they keep the renewals down to every other year at least?
Now all that remains is for him to run a bit more than 6km per game, and we'll all get back to drooling over him...

sizzling sausages

Thinks TBP is a soft tagline whore
Scout
He was on very high wages as well, but wanted even more (as much as Iker at Madrid I believe) Word from Spain is that he invested his money on risky assets and lost a lot of it.
Cheers, I thought he must have been on high wages, didn't know about the investments gone wrong.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Another dream crushed. Well done Woodward. Next target?

We go again.

RDCR07

Not a bad guy (Whale Killer)
Why do they keep offering him a new contract? Its not like clubs are after him and he hasn't made a sound about leaving either?

AngeloHenriquez

Supports
Stevenage
Wait, what?
Sources do indicate he perhaps spent faster than he received... not the best with money unfortunately for him...

The Monaco deal promised him silly wages.

Kostur

海尔的老板
Why do they keep offering him a new contract? Its not like clubs are after him and he hasn't made a sound about leaving either?
Wild guess but he surely must be a little whiney bitch nagging them to 'gib monies or i leave'.

Not that I hold anything against him.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
He doesn't need to make a sound about leaving publically because he knows full well that every club in Europe that could afford him would break the bank to get him. It doesn't make negotiations difficult for his representatives.

Truedevil

They didn't actually talk about getting him over in that cesspit of a forum, did they? :lol:
They did:lol: I even posted some deluded posts in the Bluemoon goes into meltdown thread. They must be gutted now.

malappapper

He doesn't need to make a sound about leaving publically because he knows full well that every club in Europe that could afford him would break the bank to get him. It doesn't make negotiations difficult for his representatives.
Precisely. Imagine Messi publicly declaring that he wants to leave Barcelona. Man City, Chelsea, PSG, United, and yes... Real Madrid will all start melting jewellery, stealing from public coffers, issuing shares, lobbying sponsors and selling oil wells to get him.

Messi wanted to be receiving even more than Neymar. This is the main reason for this contract, and also partly explains the sulking on the part of Messi in some crucial games this season.

Skills

Snitch
Well done to him and his representatives.

Where does this put him compared to the highest paid athletes in the world? (just from their salaries) Must also be one of the biggest contracts ever signed if this is a 5 year extension.

A1X

But...but...but...I thought Rooney was paid more than any other person in history as well as running every aspect of the club?

I know it's true because I read it in the Rooney thread on here.

Bob Loblaw

Supports
Liverpool
Valdés didn't move because of money. There was a lot of behind-the-scenes politics involved in his decision, another disaster of the Rosell reign.

Dargonk

Ninja Scout
Scout
His agent must love the nice fees he must pocket every time Messi gets a new contract

I_live_cement

Cat freak

Where does this put him compared to the highest paid athletes in the world? (just from their salaries) Must also be one of the biggest contracts ever signed if this is a 5 year extension.
It puts his below Aaron Rodgers and Floyd Mayweather, according to BBC Sport.

NinjaZombie

Punched the air when Liverpool beat City
Just realized that he's still only 26. Madness, for some reason I thought that he was a bit older. Barca won't ever be letting him go. They'd instantly go down a level if he left.
Definitely. I am convinced that Bayern Munich are not as good as Barca were 2-3 years ago mainly because they don't have a Messi in their team.

He's only 26. Bloody hell.

Red Shorts

Forrest Gimp

Only American footballers and Mayweather/Pacquaio have better salaries than them (I think boxers' salaries are intertwined heavily with winnings). His salary has been higher than basketball players like LeBron and Kobe

Eboue

nasty little twerp with crazy bitter-man opinions
I'm typing this with my Glock 19 two feet from me
Only American footballers and Mayweather/Pacquaio have better salaries than them (I think boxers' salaries are intertwined heavily with winnings). His salary has been higher than basketball players like LeBron and Kobe
Baseball players make far more than American football players. Some guys make $30 million per year.

Cheech Wizard

Liverpool fan
Supports
Liverpool
He won't leave no matter whatever turmoil Barcelona get themselves into. He'll be their for another 6-8 years before playing his wind down days in Argentina.

Eboue

nasty little twerp with crazy bitter-man opinions
I'm typing this with my Glock 19 two feet from me
Forgot about them, their contracts are ridiculous. Isn't A-Rod on a $300 million, 10 year contract or something?
Yeah that was a few years ago. They are just going to go up too since revenue is exploding. The Dodgers just signed a tv deal last year worth $300 million per year. That's before tickets, parking, concessions, etc.