• Ronaldo

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
The greatest footballer of all time is also the greatest goalscorer of all time. Trying to punch above your weight but falling way short over here, kiddo.

As with most Messi fans, you come across with unrivalled levels of insecurity in your constant efforts to undermine the achievements of his counterpart. I couldn't care less about who is considered the better player, but that trait runs strongly among the Messi fanbase and it is cringeworthy to say the least.
I am not a "Messi fan", I am a football fan and this is why I prefer him over Cristiano.

And I am not taking any achievements away from Ronaldo. Describing him as what he is during the legacy-defining years of his career isn't undermining what he has accomplished, "kiddo".

Bullshit. He was nothing special at all, couldn’t care less how many dribbles he made if they led to nothing.

Plenty of players had a better World Cup. Neuer, Robben, Neymar, James, Mascherano, etc. Messi even looked completely embarrassed while he was getting the award.

And Zidane didn’t deserve it in 2006 either
Yeah, of course. And you are complaining about me allegedly belittling Ronaldo's achievements?

I think some people just don't get it about Ronaldo. He is on people's all time top 10 lists because he is one of the 10 best (probably 5 best) players of all time. Throughout his career he's not been just a goalscorer. At United there is no way you'd ever categorize him as just that yet he still won a Ballon d'or playing for us in the style he had back then. Bottom line is that Real Madrid needed a goalscorer so that's what he became - possibly the best there's ever been.
He won 3 of his 4 Ballon D'Ors as a more or less pure goal scorer. There is a very short intersection of the dribbling and creating Cristiano and the ruthless goal scoring machine. Of course Ronaldo always showed what a brillant footballer he actually is but he focused his game completely on different aspects.

If during the City game instead of having 4 or 5 dribbles, Messi scores the 2 big chances he missed, Barcelona would have won by more, he’d have done more for his team and you’d be less impressed.

All because you follow a stupid concept of playmaking > goalscoring as if that’s how football works.

For 2015-16 and 2016-17 Messi wasn’t even the best playmaker in Barcelona... plenty of players create more.
Yet it is how football works. Ronaldo can be glad that he has all these team mates making the "pointless dribblings and through balls" for him because otherwise he would have to bother himself. Yes, not every attempt has "end product" but it is important to do it nonetheless because you have to take risks and hope that one of these actions creates a chance.

Ronaldo’s better because he’s outperformed Messi in the Champions League and internationally, not because he scores more goals overall.
No, he hasn't. That is your opinion but it isn't a fact. I think Messi outperformed Ronaldo in the CL, at least in terms of peak performance. Longevity-wise, Ronaldo may be better because he was important in four to Messi's three CL wins.

You keep saying it isn't about goals but in the end, your arguments always come down to it. Messi had better performances in the CL knockout stages than Ronaldo despite scoring less.

Pele wasn't a goal scorer? :eek:
He was more than that. Pele was also a brillant playmaker and arguably the best dribbler the game has seen (which is how he scored many of his goals).

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
There are but it's really rare to find anybody that says Messi isn't great whereas there's an awful lot of Messi fans out there who will try and tell you that Ronaldo isn't.

Arjen Robben - great player btw. He'd have been at United if it wasn't for that snake Kenyon. He could have been the second best baldy to have played at OT.
The fact that Ronaldo is such an unlikable twat might have something to do with this ;)

All joking aside though, for every Messi fan saying "you can just see Messi is better you don't need stats etc", there's a Ronaldo person saying Messi wouldnt even have played professionally without growth hormones or that Messi wouldn't cut it in the premier league.

Cal?

CR7 fan
I am not a "Messi fan", I am a football fan and this is why I prefer him over Cristiano.
Sums up the Messi brigade.

They are just as biased yet think of themselves as being neutral. :lol:

Cal?

CR7 fan
The fact that Ronaldo is such an unlikable twat might have something to do with this ;)

All joking aside though, for every Messi fan saying "you can just see Messi is better you don't need stats etc", there's a Ronaldo person saying Messi wouldnt even have played professionally without growth hormones or that Messi wouldn't cut it in the premier league.
That's just not true though.

Ishdalar

Supports
Barcelona
Ronaldo’s better because he’s outperformed Messi in the Champions League and internationally, not because he scores more goals overall.
He hasn't outperformed Messi at International level, continental-wise they're on same grounds with both of them being able to qualify their teams to Euro/Copa finals, and have scored lots of goals, World Cup level, Messi has the edge with a Final, World Cup MVP and even more goals than Cristiano while, as always, playing deeper for Argentina.

Even Pauleta has a goal on Ronaldo in WC while playing 4 games less, and let's not touch the subject that "Mr Clutch" or "Important games guy" has never scored a single goal in the KO stage of the World Cup. Where was "El Comandante" when Portugal needed the best scorer/clutch player in the last 3 WC's vs Netherlands, England, France, Spain or against the U.S in 2014?

Treble

This is such a stupid contest. Both are great players. It doesn't matter whether the one is a bit better than the other.

rm4eva

Supports
Real Madrid
I can't believe people in this thread think Ronaldo had a poor Euro 2016. He was the tournament's 2nd highest goal scorer and 2nd highest assist maker. Also, Messi is nothing but a Denilson that can score a few goals. Since when did CdR become a major tournament? Its only the Domestic League and CL/EL that matters. Or else players would not leave Arsenal and LvG would not have gotten the sack. And Messi had no hand in 2 of his Liga titles and 1 of his CL titles. Ronaldo had a hand in all of his titles.

Why has Messi not played outside of Barca? Are you telling me that United, City, Chelsea, Juventus and Bayern could not afford his wages? Are you telling me that these teams have no prestige? Are you telling me that they would not be able to help him with endorsements? The fact is that Messi has remained in his comfort zone for all of his career. When Ronaldo joined Manchester and Madrid, both these teams were second best in their leagues, some would even say a 'distant' second best. He led them to multiple titles. We can only assume Messi would do well in the EPL, but we know for a fact that Ronaldo ate the EPL and sh*t it out. Destroying City/United/Chelsea over 2 legs once a year is completely different to playing against bruising teams like Sunderland, West Ham and Stoke for 40-odd games a season. Could Messi maintain his fitness? Could Messi recover after being battered every week? We DONT KNOW !!! But for Ronaldo we know!

Messi-lovers are so deluded that even if Ronaldo scored 15 goals in this World Cup, they would point to Messi and talk about his 15 pre-assists and 15 successful dribbles made. This season, Messi is tiring while Ronaldo has the advantage of being better rested. I bet this World Cup will prove once and for all Ronaldo is better than Messi.

Last edited:

Peyroteo

Professional Ronaldo PR Guy
Supports
Sporting CP
Yet it is how football works. Ronaldo can be glad that he has all these team mates making the "pointless dribblings and through balls" for him because otherwise he would have to bother himself. Yes, not every attempt has "end product" but it is important to do it nonetheless because you have to take risks and hope that one of these actions creates a chance.
Ronaldo should be glad he has teammates creating chances for him or are the teammates that should be glad to have a player who makes it easier to create chances for him than anyone in the history of the game? Only someone who has no idea how football works would take the merit out of goalscorers the way you do. Clubs must be beyond stupid to pay so much for goalscorers and so little for midfielders and creative players.

It's not like Ronaldo is a couple of years away from scoring more goals for his country than anyone in the history of the game while playing for Portugal. Must have been the wonderful vision of Hugo Almeida, Ronaldo should be thrilled to play next to him.

No, he hasn't. That is your opinion but it isn't a fact. I think Messi outperformed Ronaldo in the CL, at least in terms of peak performance. Longevity-wise, Ronaldo may be better because he was important in four to Messi's three CL wins.

You keep saying it isn't about goals but in the end, your arguments always come down to it. Messi had better performances in the CL knockout stages than Ronaldo despite scoring less.
Show me one example of me doing that. One. You're so full of crap it's unbelievable. Ronaldo's scores A LOT more, he's assisted A LOT more and he's disappeared A LOT less often in the knockouts of the Champions League throughout his career.

Peyroteo

Supports
Sporting CP
He hasn't outperformed Messi at International level, continental-wise they're on same grounds with both of them being able to qualify their teams to Euro/Copa finals, and have scored lots of goals, World Cup level, Messi has the edge with a Final, World Cup MVP and even more goals than Cristiano while, as always, playing deeper for Argentina.
Continental level they're on the same grounds? Are they feck. Ronaldo plays for Portugal, Messi play for Argentina. Reaching a Euro final with Portugal is obviously not the same as reaching a Copa America final with Argentina in years Brazil are crap.

Are you actually using Messi winning World Cup MVP as an argument? :lol:

Even Pauleta has a goal on Ronaldo in WC while playing 4 games less, and let's not touch the subject that "Mr Clutch" or "Important games guy" has never scored a single goal in the KO stage of the World Cup. Where was "El Comandante" when Portugal needed the best scorer/clutch player in the last 3 WC's vs Netherlands, England, France, Spain or against the U.S in 2014?
He was the man of the match against France in the WC semifinal in 2006... he literally got kicked out of the match against Netherlands in the battle of Nuremberg for fecks sake... you have no clue what you're even talking about. Using those games as examples where Ronaldo didn't show up is the stupidest thing in this thread :lol:

Don't even think I need to talk about the England match either.

Even against the US, he had a good game and was indeed 'Mr. Clutch' as he saved us from elimination in the last minute. He was injured for the last 2 World Cups and shouldn't have even played in the last one. The truth is for the whole of Messi's career he's never played with teammates as bad as the ones Ronaldo's been playing next to for Portugal and Ronaldo has still had no problem putting up better performances for his country.

And I'm not denying Ronaldo hasn't done enough at a World Cup level by the way, he hasn't. But you can't just ignore the injuries he had.

Last edited:

Ishdalar

Supports
Barcelona
Continental level they're on the same grounds? Are they feck. Ronaldo plays for Portugal, Messi play for Argentina. Reaching a Euro final with Portugal is obviously not the fecking same as reaching a Copa America final with Argentina in years Brazil are crap.

Are you actually using Messi winning World Cup MVP as an argument? :lol:

He was the man of the match against France in the WC semifinal in 2006... he literally got kicked out of the match against Netherlands in the battle of Nuremberg for fecks sake... you literally have no clue what you're even talking about. Using those games as examples where Ronaldo didn't show up is the stupidest thing in this thread :lol:

Even against the US, he had a good game and was indeed 'Mr. Clutch' as he saved us from elimination in the last minute. He was injured for the last 2 World Cups and shouldn't have even played in the last one. The truth is for the whole of Messi's career he's never played with teammates as bad the ones Ronaldo's been playing next to for Portugal and Ronaldo has still had no problem putting up better performances for his country.
But did he score? Because when you lot talk about Leo's 2014 WC run and laugh at the MVP (like you just did) is always to mention that he didn't score a single goal in the KO stage, nevermind that he was head and shoulders above any other Argentina attacking player.

So, if you want to believe Ronaldo is superior to Leo, then let's just bound him to the same absurd standards you use with Messi, he didn't score, therefore was he clutch?.

Continental level he plays for Portugal, and he faced European competition, the fact that he scores 3 goals with Portugal vs Wales and Hungary is as relevant as Messi scoring 2 with Argentina vs Venezuela and USA. Robbie Brady scored 1 less than Ronaldo with N.Ireland in 2016, same for Salpingidis, Bendtner or Jiracek in 2012, what's so mighty about his record at international level compared to Messi?.

And keep downplaying your Portugal squad to put Ronaldo over Leo with Argentina, but those guys won the 16' EC final against France, in Saint Denis, without Ronaldo,

Peyroteo

Supports
Sporting CP
But did he score? Because when you lot talk about Leo's 2014 WC run and laugh at the MVP (like you just did) is always to mention that he didn't score a single goal in the KO stage, nevermind that he was head and shoulders above any other Argentina attacking player.
But I literally didn't do that at all. What the hell... where did I mention I didn't think Messi was the best because he didn't score in the knockouts? He wasn't the best because he didn't play that well, not because he didn't score. Obviously if he had scored, I'd have rated the performances higher.

Continental level he plays for Portugal, and he faced European competition, the fact that he scores 3 goals with Portugal vs Wales and Hungary is as relevant as Messi scoring 2 with Argentina vs Venezuela and USA.
No, it isn't at all. Argentina were obviously a lot better than Venezuela and the US, Portugal were playing balanced games against Wales and Hungary that could have gone either way.

And keep downplaying your Portugal squad to put Ronaldo over Leo with Argentina, but those guys won the 16' EC final against France, in Saint Denis, without Ronaldo,
Yes and Messi's guys beat Chile without him in the group and then lost with him in the final. It's football, shit happens. We were a lot worse than France and got lucky in the final, 99 out of 100 times Griezmann puts a few chances away and we lose.

Without Ronaldo we lost 2-0 away in Switzerland and couldn't break down Andorra for 60 minutes during qualification.

If anyone actually believes Portugal's squad over the years has been close in quality to Argentina's squad over the years then they're out of their minds. And I'm not downplaying Portugal's squad at all, ask other posters who actually know those players and they'll tell you the same things.

I haven't missed a Sporting game all season, I see William and Battaglia playing at a similar level, one is an undisputed starter for Portugal, the other isn't even considered for Argentina and then you have people criticizing Argentina's midfield options. People saying Messi has it tough because Argentina's defense of Otamendi and Rojo isn't good enough while Portugal's CBs are a 35 year old Pepe and Jose 'not good enough for West Ham's bench' Fonte. The main difference is that a lot of people don't even know how these portuguese players are performing.

Last edited:

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
Ronaldo should be glad he has teammates creating chances for him or are the teammates that should be glad to have a player who makes it easier to create chances for him than anyone in the history of the game? Only someone who has no idea how football works would take the merit out of goalscorers the way you do. Clubs must be beyond stupid to pay so much for goalscorers and so little for midfielders and creative players.

It's not like Ronaldo is a couple of years away from scoring more goals for his country than anyone in the history of the game while playing for Portugal. Must have been the wonderful vision of Hugo Almeida, Ronaldo should be thrilled to play next to him.

Show me one example of me doing that. One. You're so full of crap it's unbelievable. Ronaldo's scores A LOT more, he's assisted A LOT more and he's disappeared A LOT less often in the knockouts of the Champions League throughout his career.
One? You are doing it all the time. Just a few posts ago when you criticized Messi for not socring two chances against City while pointlessly dribbling 5-6 times. If it is _not_ about goals then there is no way you could argue Ronaldo had better games in the knock out stages than Messi 14/15 because he more or less did everything you could ask him to do outside of scoring.

You are so deluded, it is actually funny. And once you run out of arguments you get personal, deliberately misunderstand your opposites, just like in the quoted post. It is clear that you want Ronaldo to be the better player and thus are searching arguments for it.

By the way, the most expensive players currently are Neymar, Mbappe, Dembele, Coutinho, Pogba, Bale and Cristiano IIRC. None of these were pure goal scorers at the time of their moves. Your argument is completely invalid if not to say downright ridiculous.

Peyroteo

Supports
Sporting CP
One? You are doing it all the time. Just a few posts ago when you criticized Messi for not socring two chances against City while pointlessly dribbling 5-6 times. If it is _not_ about goals then there is no way you could argue Ronaldo had better games in the knock out stages than Messi 14/15 because he more or less did everything you could ask him to do outside of scoring.
I asked you a simple question and I didn't discredit what he did during that game. Funnily enough you avoided the question so I'll ask it again.

If instead of having 4 or 5 more dribbles during that City game, Messi scores the 2 big chances he missed... would he have had a better or a worse game? This is not me discreditting what he did throughout the rest of the game, it's me challenging your previous argument that made no sense. Messi had a superb game even without scoring. How you actually managed to interpret that as me saying nothing else but goals matters is just your typical comment here. Completely misrepresenting what I said and stupidly taking it out of context.

So I'll ask you once more, show me one example of me saying football is all about goals like you love to pretend I do.

You are so deluded, it is actually funny. And once you run out of arguments you get personal, deliberately misunderstand your opposites, just like in the quoted post. It is clear that you want Ronaldo to be the better player and thus are searching arguments for it.
Oh, this shit again? Look one page backwards and I say if Messi has fantastic World Cup while Ronaldo has a poor one I'll happily say Messi's better. My arguments have always been the same and it's why a few years ago Messi was the better player.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
I asked you a simple question and I didn't discredit what he did during that game. Funnily enough you avoided the question so I'll ask it again.

If instead of having 4 or 5 more dribbles during that City game, Messi scores the 2 big chances he missed... would he have had a better or a worse game? This is not me discreditting what he did throughout the rest of the game, it's me challenging your previous argument that made no sense. Messi had a superb game even without scoring. How you actually managed to interpret that as me saying nothing else but goals matters is just your typical comment here. Completely misrepresenting what I said and stupidly taking it out of context.

So I'll ask you once more, show me one example of me saying football is all about goals like you love to pretend I do.

Oh, this shit again? Look one page backwards and I say if Messi has fantastic World Cup while Ronaldo has a poor one I'll happily say Messi's better. My arguments have always been the same and it's why a few years ago Messi was the better player.
It is not what you say but how you judge and the conclusions you come to. You say the one thing but your opinions and arguments imply the opposite. I already gave you an example of it with your claims concerning Messi's City game. Another one would be that you argue that in most cases the player who scored the goal is the one who contributed the most to it which in my eyes is completely delusional. Your complete argument that Ronaldo performed better on the big stage or more precisely the knock out stages of the CL is based on the underlying assumption that goals are more important. I already presented you statistics and facts that showed how much more Messi contributed to the games of his teams (created twice as many chances, thrice as many key passes, six times as many dribbles etc) and you just belittled them by criticizing the source. How on earth should you come to the conclusion that Ronaldo performed better than Messi in the KO stages (or "disappeared less often") if it is not primarily about their goals? Everyone can see that Messi is so much better in his alround game than Ronaldo and more than makes up the difference in goals in these games.
Besides that you also belittle Messi games in which he didn't score, still had brillant performances but his team lost regardless. E.g. his general WC 2014 performance or the Copa final.

You and many else here in this thread do everything to create arguments pro Ronaldo. Suddenly, only the knock out stages of the CL matter (coincidently these kind of arguments came up just after Ronaldo excelled in this particular scenario). It is just tiring because everyone sees that there is an agenda and people try to create objective reason for them to prefer him over Messi when it is obviously sympathy that drives the whole thought process.

Concerning your example: Hard to say. On the one hand, his team would have profited more in this particular game if he converted these two chances. On the other hand, if he adjusted his playstyle to dribbling less and scoring more, his team would struggle more since they are overly reliant on his service. So, short term yes, long term no.

Deleted member 101472

@Zehner if cal is the donals trump or cr7 fans, you’re definitely the Hilary Clinton of messi fans :lol:

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes

Below average playmaker.

Only gets assists because he plays close to goal which is why all the other players are strikers.

Probably not enough through balls in that though and everyone knows goals only count after a through ball has been played.
It's fair to say that anyone who puts Ronaldo on the same tier as Iniesta or Messi with regards to playmaking is seriously deluded, regardless of what this graphic says.

Peyroteo

Supports
Sporting CP
It's fair to say that anyone who puts Ronaldo on the same tier as Iniesta or Messi with regards to playmaking is seriously deluded, regardless of what this graphic says.
That was not me saying Ronaldo's as good as Messi and Iniesta at it. That was me replying to someone pretending Ronaldo's below average at creaating chances for his teammates.

He might not be as good as Messi at that but that part of his game gets underrated due to the way he creates those chances. The assist numbers don't come from nowhere.

Pocho

I can't believe people in this thread think Ronaldo had a poor Euro 2016. He was the tournament's 2nd highest goal scorer and 2nd highest assist maker. Also, Messi is nothing but a Denilson that can score a few goals. Since when did CdR become a major tournament? Its only the Domestic League and CL/EL that matters. Or else players would not leave Arsenal and LvG would not have gotten the sack. And Messi had no hand in 2 of his Liga titles and 1 of his CL titles. Ronaldo had a hand in all of his titles.

Why has Messi not played outside of Barca? Are you telling me that United, City, Chelsea, Juventus and Bayern could not afford his wages? Are you telling me that these teams have no prestige? Are you telling me that they would not be able to help him with endorsements? The fact is that Messi has remained in his comfort zone for all of his career. When Ronaldo joined Manchester and Madrid, both these teams were second best in their leagues, some would even say a 'distant' second best. He led them to multiple titles. We can only assume Messi would do well in the EPL, but we know for a fact that Ronaldo ate the EPL and sh*t it out. Destroying City/United/Chelsea over 2 legs once a year is completely different to playing against bruising teams like Sunderland, West Ham and Stoke for 40-odd games a season. Could Messi maintain his fitness? Could Messi recover after being battered every week? We DONT KNOW !!! But for Ronaldo we know!

Messi-lovers are so deluded that even if Ronaldo scored 15 goals in this World Cup, they would point to Messi and talk about his 15 pre-assists and 15 successful dribbles made. This season, Messi is tiring while Ronaldo has the advantage of being better rested. I bet this World Cup will prove once and for all Ronaldo is better than Messi.
hahaha, stopped reading there.

Peyroteo

Supports
Sporting CP
It is not what you say but how you judge and the conclusions you come to. You say the one thing but your opinions and arguments imply the opposite. I already gave you an example of it with your claims concerning Messi's City game. Another one would be that you argue that in most cases the player who scored the goal is the one who contributed the most to it which in my eyes is completely delusional. Your complete argument that Ronaldo performed better on the big stage or more precisely the knock out stages of the CL is based on the underlying assumption that goals are more important. I already presented you statistics and facts that showed how much more Messi contributed to the games of his teams (created twice as many chances, thrice as many key passes, six times as many dribbles etc) and you just belittled them by criticizing the source. How on earth should you come to the conclusion that Ronaldo performed better than Messi in the KO stages (or "disappeared less often") if it is not primarily about their goals? Everyone can see that Messi is so much better in his alround game than Ronaldo and more than makes up the difference in goals in these games.
He doesn't only score more, he assists more too. Goals and assists are a valuable representation of a forward's contribution to their team's goals so I do think it is an important measure given that what makes Ronaldo and Messi very special is their direct contribution to their team's goals. Obviously it's not the only thing that matters and I have never said it is. Ronaldo's performed better because besides the numbers it's what I see too, I've seen Messi be very ineffective a lot more often in the big CL games than Ronaldo and his allround game isn't consistently great in those games either.

I bring up the goal numbers because a difference that big in goalscoring is very relevant. Ronaldo's been consistently better in the Champions League knockouts and I think there are a lot of people who think Messi is better who will agree with that too. The numbers are not everything, but they are important.

Besides that you also belittle Messi games in which he didn't score, still had brillant performances but his team lost regardless. E.g. his general WC 2014 performance or the Copa final.
That's because those performances weren't great, not because he didn't score in them. He was great in that City game for example, even without scoring.

VancouverUtdFan

Supports
Canucks + NE Patriots
Ronaldo was a no show from August to Christmas. Messi has been consistent the whole season, which is why Barca are miles ahead of Real in the league.

Messi and Barca are on the verge of the domestic double, which requires consistency.

If Real and Ron win the CL then they have only had to perform in 4 games more than Barca in the CL.

At this present moment Messi has been better, because he has led his team to LL and the CDR. As it stand Ronaldo has led his team to zero honours. They may even get knocked out by Bayern.

If Ron has been at another level to Messi, then where was he in the first half of the season?

People like you easily forget the first 20 odd games of the season for Ronaldo, but don’t forget one game in the CL where Messi didn’t step up.
Comments like this just further prove to us why Ronaldo has been better.

We all know he was slow to start the year, yet here Ronaldo is sitting with more goals than Messi on the year...that’s a testament to CR7’s sheer determination and shows Messi has slowed down considerably since the beginning of the year. You’ve literally just said this for me yourself.

And yea yea, again you can try making the league sound almighty and important. Props to Barca on winning it not taking anything away from that achievement. But everyone knows Madrid/Ronaldo stopped caring about the league and had all their focus on the CL which they’ve made their priority for a number of years now. In actuality, Messi didn’t show up in the biggest game of the year for Barca. Don’t pretend like it was any other random game lollll

VancouverUtdFan

Supports
Canucks + NE Patriots

Below average playmaker.

Only gets assists because he plays close to goal which is why all the other players are strikers.

Probably not enough through balls in that though and everyone knows goals only count after a through ball has been played.
:lol::lol::lol::lol:

Just stop, they’re already dead! Hahaha

...like I’ve said let the Messi/Barca fanboys keep telling each other whatever it is to comfort themselves. The world knows Ronaldo is the best player and the Ballon d’Or will come down to him and Salah.

VancouverUtdFan

Supports
Canucks + NE Patriots
He did not say that. If anything, you’re just having a hard time coming up with a response to those facts so just twisted his words in an attempt to brush it off.

This just further cements why Ronaldo is the greatest big game player in the world. Yea sure Messi dribbles more, playmakes more, carries the ball more, but does any of it matter if he doesn’t make an impact when its all said and done? Ask Roma - they’ll tell you the answer.

...Ronaldo shows up when it matters most, even in an element of the game which Messi is superior to him in. The statistics don’t lie. That’ll definitely be a hard pill for you fellas to swallow & I’m intrigued to how you’ll respond to it tbh; will you accept it or make an excuse again taking all blame away from Messi :lol:

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
He did not say that. If anything, you’re just having a hard time coming up with a response to those facts so just twisted his words in an attempt to brush it off.

This just further cements why Ronaldo is the greatest big game player in the world. Yea sure Messi dribbles more, playmakes more, carries the ball more, but does any of it matter if he doesn’t make an impact when its all said and done? Ask Roma - they’ll tell you the answer.

...Ronaldo shows up when it matters most, even in an element of the game which Messi is superior to him in. The statistics don’t lie. That’ll definitely be a hard pill for you fellas to swallow & I’m intrigued to how you’ll respond to it tbh; will you accept it or make an excuse again taking all blame away from Messi :lol:
How is Vancouver at this time of year?

4bars

Supports
Barcelona
It’s spectacular :p

Rains 8 months of the year. Finally begun to see the sunshine haha
A pitty than 420 was the only rainy day

The main difference between Messi and CR is that the first is compared with Maradonna and the likes, basically compared with the best of history and CR is compared with Messi, so the best of his generation

VancouverUtdFan

Supports
Canucks + NE Patriots
Looking to do a drive up from SF this spring. Original plan was to hit Seattle but Vancouver is just across :D
Yea why not do both? Seattle to Vancouver is only a couple hours drive anyways and the weather will be lovely by the time you get here.

Last I went to a Cali was a few years ago. Did the whole Disney Land thing and went to Disney World in Orlando last summer.

Cezzine

Supports
Real Madrid
For those in the Ronaldo camp, would Messi winning the world cup change your mind? If he has a stellar tournament and wins it for Argentina being the top scorer and player of the torunament, would you accept him as being the best player in the world then?
Of course. If he wins the WC he will win Ballon D'Or, Fifa BEST, and no one will say it is undeserved.

Playmaking > goal scoring. And Messi is as good in the first as it gets while still being among the best goal scorers the game has ever seen. Ronaldo on the other hand is an average playmaker at best. But someone who thinks Ronaldo's performances against Munich or Atletico were better than Messi's against City or Bayern won't understand this ;)
Hahahahaha really?? I guess thats why everyone would pay more for Modric, Kroos, Busquets, Thiago, Rakitic, etc, than for Ronaldo, Messi, Neymar, Lewandoski, Salah, Kane, etc...

Or maybe thats why the goalscorers are never fighting for the individual trophies, i cluidng being the best player of the world...

I know, City having more possesion and having better playmakers had a better game than Salah and Co. in both matches of quarterfinals this year in UCL despite Liverpool winning both games.

But of course, not everyone would understand that. ;)

Regardless of who's better, Messi is getting more money for his efforts this season. 126 million vs Ronaldo's 96 million.
Barcelona pays Messi almost the double of what Madrid pays Ronaldo. Still this summer before the WC Ronaldo will sign a new contract with Madrid. He will still get less than Messi, but only 6m less.

I think Messi outperformed Ronaldo in the CL, at least in terms of peak performance. Longevity-wise, Ronaldo may be better because he was important in four to Messi's three CL wins.

So scoring less, assisting less, winning less, and getting destoyed by Roma, Juve, Bayern, PSG and Ateltico in the last years makes him perform better than Ronaldo, who has destroyed all that teams also in the last years?

Messi literally disappears in almost all the important matches in the KO stages of UCL.

That why he has failed to get his team past quarterfinals 4 of the last 5 years. And also it is why they have won only 1 UCL in the last 7 years.

Messi only performed in the KO stages when he had Xavi/Iniesta/Busquets trio in his team. Since Xavi wen out and Iniesta aged, he hasn't be the same in the tournament. That is a fact.

The main difference between Messi and CR is that the first is compared with Maradonna and the likes, basically compared with the best of history and CR is compared with Messi, so the best of his generation
Yes of course, when you only take into account the Messi or Barca fans opinion.

But the rest of world football?

For example. A pair of weeks ago, Buffon (nobody I suppose) just said Ronaldo was up there with Pele and Maradona.

Also the fact that Ronaldo has won all the best player of the world awards in 4 of the last 5 years makes clear how the world of football think about them.

But of course my friend, Messi is miles better. Hahaha.

VancouverUtdFan

Supports
Canucks + NE Patriots
So scoring less, assisting less, winning less, and getting destoyed by Roma, Juve, Bayern, PSG and Ateltico in the last years makes him perform better than Ronaldo, who has destroyed all that teams also in the last years?

Messi literally disappears in almost all the important matches in the KO stages of UCL.

That why he has failed to get his team past quarterfinals 4 of the last 5 years. And also it is why they have won only 1 UCL in the last 7 years.

Messi only performed in the KO stages when he had Xavi/Iniesta/Busquets trio in his team. Since Xavi wen out and Iniesta aged, he hasn't be the same in the tournament. That is a fact.
:lol::houllier:

I’m telling you some of these guys are delusional to the point of no return. Making up random terms like peak performance. Ronaldo is the better big game player amongst the 2, the greatest ever CL player, and definitely has the better peak performance in the CL whatever that’s supposed to mean lol

4bars

Supports
Barcelona
@Cezzine whatever you say, it will be that odd time that someone will compare CR, but if you don't like to lie to yourself, the comparison had been always Messi vs top 4 in history and CR vs Messi.

Also, buffon forgot DeGea in his list of top 5 Goalkeepers, sure then buffon knew shit about football

Individual awards, before Messi, during Messi an after Messi I always considered them an stupidity in a collective sport. I rate Xavi more important in many titles that Barcelona won. By position or nearby position, will be tastes and never said Messi is miles ahead. For me is no discussion though. Messi can do what CR ronaldo does, scoring and much more other things. But is my personal opinion

The opinion of the world, in general is the comparisons that I said before, I know it and you know it too even if you deny it

Last edited:

Ishdalar

Supports
Barcelona
If anyone actually believes Portugal's squad over the years has been close in quality to Argentina's squad over the years then they're out of their minds. And I'm not downplaying Portugal's squad at all, ask other posters who actually know those players and they'll tell you the same things.
That's not the core issue, just an hyperbole, the most important thing is debating how big of an influence both Leo and Cris are for their teams, and where are they able to put teams that, without them, would plainly suck for the expected level of both countries.

So, who cares if, by squad standards at WC level, Argentina could be a QF/SF team that gets to have a shot at the title with Messi in it, same way Portugal could be a Group Phase/R16 squad at best that Ronaldo can carry to QF or Semis, that's exactly what both of them have been doing for the last World Cups.

Continental level? We all saw the Euro, the group you had, the legs and how you struggled or "lucked" to be in the final even with Cristiano Ronaldo, but neither at Euro or WC level I can find a single fact to 100% say "Ronaldo has outperformed Messi at international level", because

He wasn't the best because he didn't play that well, not because he didn't score.

4 Goals, 1 Assist (3rd in the Goden Boot)
3.3 Key passes per game (6th overall)
6.6 Dribbles per game (1st, 1dpg on Alexis, 1.6 on freaking Arjen Robben)
4 Man of the Match in 7 games

He wasn't the best? We may need to organize a collect to send you a TV and the DVD's with all Argentina games in that WC, everyone who ate the 660 minutes of dullness from that awful squad is well aware that the golden ball was fully deserved for the only guy capable of doing something in that team, since the first game to the final.

MS4

What makes Ronaldo better?
I always see someone posting Stats.
Just watch some of their best games, its easy to see messi being better.
Anyone who played Football on a higher level agrees. TV Watcher wont understand

Peyroteo

Supports
Sporting CP
Why do people keep repeating this when it's not true at all?

Status
Not open for further replies.