• Messi

• Ronaldo

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Foxtrot

Supports
Die Mannschaft
Jesus Christ. We've found a more obsessive version of @Cal? , as unbelievable as that sounds.
I was just about to say that. He is the Cal of Messi. :lol: stop giving him so much stick. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion and calling him dumb, embarrassing etc says what type of person you are for you to be so biased and illogical. This bloke has the right to defend his favourite player. This is why I never like to get into this whole Messi vs Ronaldo debate. Its repetitive and exhausting, just like a cartoon that keeps replaying. As other posters have mentioned, I think its fair to say that Messi is superior to Ronaldo in terms of raw talent and ability, no doubt about that. But Ronaldo has a stronger mentality, its his sheer will and determination that allows him to keep delivering, to get close to Messi's numbers and to always be dragged into this whole debate.

I once mentioned on the Champions League final matchday thread if Ronaldo scores a match winning goal against Liverpool, I'd love Ronaldo forever and the debate is over for me but he didn't turn up. It was Bale who did and Ronaldo seems so subdued during the post celebration and I don't think he even celebrated with Bale. When Real had a good chance to score a 4th goal, Ronaldo was in a good position to pass it to his teammate to score but no, he tried to dribble to score but failed. This shows what an egoistic and selfish twat he is. Ronaldo always have to be the main man, the star of the team and if anyone who outshine him, he would throw his toys out of his pram. That is what makes Messi better than him on a human personal level. Messi never had any issues with Neymar and they are even good friends. If you are just a supporting cast/average player, you would want Ronaldo to be in your team but if you want to be the star of the team, you would want Messi.

With all that being said, their legacy really hinges a lot on this World Cup. If Argentina fails to make out of the group and if Portugal does, Ronaldo > Messi and this debate will be over for me. Put Ronaldo or Neymar in Messi's situation and I have no doubt they would score that penalty. Missing 5 out of his last 10 penalties for Argentina is just a shocking stat. Messi obviously has some mental block when he wears the Argentina jersey. How can you be so great for your club but not for your country. Most certainly, you cannot possibly be called lthe GOAT if you miss a decisive match winning penalty in your opening game and fail to get your country out of your group.

Deleted member 101472

Promote wub and give him “the donald trump of Messi fans” as a Tagline

Canagel

One thing that doesn't get appreciated more is Ronaldo's talent and technical quality and Messi's hard work and mentality. Often it's the opposite which is associated with each player.

The Bloody-Nine

I was just about to say that. He is the Cal of Messi. :lol: stop giving him so much stick. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion and calling him dumb, embarrassing etc says what type of person you are for you to be so biased and illogical. This bloke has the right to defend his favourite player. This is why I never like to get into this whole Messi vs Ronaldo debate. Its repetitive and exhausting, just like a cartoon that keeps replaying. As other posters have mentioned, I think its fair to say that Messi is superior to Ronaldo in terms of raw talent and ability, no doubt about that. But Ronaldo has a stronger mentality, its his sheer will and determination that allows him to keep delivering, to get close to Messi's numbers and to always be dragged into this whole debate.

I once mentioned on the Champions League final matchday thread if Ronaldo scores a match winning goal against Liverpool, I'd love Ronaldo forever and the debate is over for me but he didn't turn up. It was Bale who did and Ronaldo seems so subdued during the post celebration and I don't think he even celebrated with Bale. When Real had a good chance to score a 4th goal, Ronaldo was in a good position to pass it to his teammate to score but no, he tried to dribble to score but failed. This shows what an egoistic and selfish twat he is. Ronaldo always have to be the main man, the star of the team and if anyone who outshine him, he would throw his toys out of his pram. That is what makes Messi better than him on a human personal level. Messi never had any issues with Neymar and they are even good friends. If you are just a supporting cast/average player, you would want Ronaldo to be in your team but if you want to be the star of the team, you would want Messi.

With all that being said, their legacy really hinges a lot on this World Cup. If Argentina fails to make out of the group and if Portugal does, Ronaldo > Messi and this debate will be over for me. Put Ronaldo or Neymar in Messi's situation and I have no doubt they would score that penalty. Missing 5 out of his last 10 penalties for Argentina is just a shocking stat. Messi obviously has some mental block when he wears the Argentina jersey. How can you be so great for your club but not for your country. Most certainly, you cannot possibly be called lthe GOAT if you miss a decisive match winning penalty in your opening game and fail to get your country out of your group.
Hang on, you read his post then call other people biased?

pacifictheme

I think Messi is probably better in general terms at a lot of things but Ronaldo has a far better attitude and temperament. Hes more inspirational to his side and appears to do things when they matter far more.

So to me hes a better player. He elevates his teams more than messi does.

Yeah other people are illogical and biassed. This post was 100% ovjective :lol:

MS4

Wub with a long post prooving how much Messi is better and the only answer he gets is "you are obsessed with him", "Are you his mum?"

Is there noone of the Ronaldo-camp who can make a reasonable post about Ronaldo and why he should be considered better? .. and not something like "mimi but messi missed penalty", "Ronaldo has more CLs" etc

AR87

Ronaldo always have to be the main man, the star of the team and if anyone who outshine him, he would throw his toys out of his pram. That is what makes Messi better than him on a human personal level. Messi never had any issues with Neymar and they are even good friends. If you are just a supporting cast/average player, you would want Ronaldo to be in your team but if you want to be the star of the team, you would want Messi.
I think this is an extremely favorable view of Messi and one I strongly disagree with. If I was a great player, particularly an attacker, I'd much rather play with Ronaldo because he doesn't monopolize the ball to the level Messi has increasingly done over the last few years.

AndyJ1985

I clicked 'ignore thread' and checked all the options, but it's still showing on the main page. Is this supposed to be the case or is the ignore functionality buggy?

The Bloody-Nine

I clicked 'ignore thread' and checked all the options, but it's still showing on the main page. Is this supposed to be the case or is the ignore functionality buggy?
Sadly, ignored threads still appear on the home page rendering the function pretty pointless.

Deleted member 101472

You could opt for the don’t click feature?

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
This is just a little reminder of how far ahead Messi is of Ronaldo.

https://www.si.com/soccer/2018/05/0...n-lionel-messi-and-every-other-la-liga-player

https://www.dreamteamfc.com/c/news-...sis-free-kick-record-absolutely-eye-watering/

La Liga Winner

2009 – 10: Barcelona

2010 – 11: Barcelona

2011 – 12: Real Madrid

2012 – 13: Barcelona

2013 – 14: Atletico Madrid

2014 – 15: Barcelona

2015 – 16: Barcelona

2016 – 17: Real Madrid

2017 – 18: Barcelona

Barcelona 6 – 2 Real Madrid

Copa del Rey Winner

2009 – 10: Sevilla

2010 – 11: Real Madrid

2011 – 12: Barcelona

2012 – 13: Atletico Madrid

2013 – 14: Real Madrid

2014 – 15: Barcelona

2015 – 16: Barcelona

2016 – 17: Barcelona

2017 – 18: Barcelona

Barcelona 5 – 2 Real Madrid

Spanish Super Copa Winer

2009 – 10: Barcelona

2010 – 11: Barcelona

2011 – 12: Barcelona

2012 – 13: Real Madrid

2013 – 14: Barcelona

2014 – 15: Atletico Madrid

2015 – 16: Athletic Bilbao

2016 – 17: Barcelona

2017 – 18: Real Madrid

Barcelona 5 – 2 Real Madrid

Spanish Player of the Year

2009 – 10: Lionel Messi

2010 – 11: Lionel Messi

2011 – 12: Lionel Messi

2012 – 13: Lionel Messi

2013 – 14: Cristiano Ronaldo

2014 – 15: Lionel Messi

2015 – 16: Antoine Griezmann

2016 – 17: Sergio Ramos

2017 – 18: Lionel Messi

Messi 6 – 1 Ronaldo

Adidas Power Rankings Best Player

2009 – 10: Lionel Messi (Ronaldo 2nd)

2010 – 11: Lionel Messi (Ronaldo 2nd)

2011 – 12: Lionel Messi (Ronaldo 2nd)

2012 – 13: Lionel Messi (Ronaldo 2nd)

2013 – 14: Lionel Messi (Ronaldo 2nd)

2014 – 15: Lionel Messi (Ronaldo 2nd)

2015 – 16: Lionel Messi (Ronaldo 5th)

2016 – 17: Neymar (Messi was marginally 2nd, Ronaldo 5th)

2017 – 18: Lionel Messi (Ronaldo 2nd)

Messi 8 – 0 Ronaldo (Messi finished ahead of Ronaldo every season)

Pichichi Trophy

2009 – 10: Lionel Messi

2010 – 11: Cristiano Ronaldo

2011 – 12: Lionel Messi

2012 – 13: Lionel Messi

2013 – 14: Cristiano Ronaldo

2014 – 15: Cristiano Ronaldo

2015 – 16: Luis Suarez

2016 – 17: Lionel Messi

2017 – 18: Lionel Messi

Messi 5 – 3 Ronaldo (worth nothing that Messi doesn't play as a forward now!)

Total Assists in all Competitions

2009 – 10: Messi 11 – 7 Ronaldo

2010 – 11: Messi 23 – 15 Ronaldo

2011 – 12: Messi 29 – 15 Ronaldo

2012 – 13: Messi 15 – 12 Ronaldo

2013 – 14: Messi 14 – 14 Ronaldo

2014 – 15: Messi 27 – 21 Ronaldo

2015 – 16: Messi 23 – 15 Ronaldo

2016 – 17: Messi 16 – 12 Ronaldo

2017 – 18: Messi 18 – 8 Ronaldo

Total: Messi 176 – 119 Ronaldo

Total Goals Scored

2009 – 10: Messi 47 – 33 Ronaldo

2010 – 11: Messi 53 – 53 Ronaldo

2011 – 12: Messi 73 – 60 Ronaldo

2012 – 13: Messi 60 – 55 Ronaldo

2013 – 14: Messi 41 – 51 Ronaldo

2014 – 15: Messi 58 – 61 Ronaldo

2015 – 16: Messi 41 – 51 Ronaldo

2016 – 17: Messi 54 – 42 Ronaldo

2017 – 18: Messi 45 – 44 Ronaldo

Total: Messi 472 – 450 Ronaldo

El Clasico Matches During this Time

Played 31, Barcelona Won 14, Real Madrid Won 7, Draws 10

Goals Scored: Messi 20 – 18 Ronaldo

El Clasico in La Liga and Champions League Only

Played 19, Barcelona Won 11, Real Madrid Won 4, Draws 4

Goals Scored: Messi 13 – 8 Ronaldo

Guardian Top Footballer in the World

2012 Lionel Messi

2013 Lionel Messi

2014 Cristiano Ronaldo

2015 Lionel Messi

2016 Cristiano Ronaldo

2017 Lionel Messi

2018 Lionel Messi

Messi 5 – 2 Ronaldo

In Favour of Ronaldo

- He has won one more CL winners medal than Messi;

- He has scored more goals in the Champions League (although he has a worse goals-per-game ratio than Messi);

- He played in Portugal's Euro 2016 win (although I think anyone who watched the Copa America would inevitably conclude that Messi's performances were far better, as they were in the last World Cup);

- Ronaldo just scored his first ever goal in the World Cup, and actually netted a free-kick the other day as well. So we can all blow that out of all proportion. He only needs to score about his next 27 consecutive free-kicks to catch up with Messi's ratio of success now. He's in with a pretty good chance, as he hadn't scored from his previous 45 in tournament play.
Ahahahahahahahahahahahahaha.

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Welcome to Manchester reception committee
Wub with a long post prooving how much Messi is better and the only answer he gets is "you are obsessed with him", "Are you his mum?"

Is there noone of the Ronaldo-camp who can make a reasonable post about Ronaldo and why he should be considered better? .. and not something like "mimi but messi missed penalty", "Ronaldo has more CLs" etc
Because this thread didn't start yesterday? It's been going on for years, with plenty of ups and downs, clear cut successes for the players, and battles by zealots. Including a lot of megaposts that were better argued and more compelling.

So it's hard to get excited when someone cites the Adidas awards in evidence or thinks Ronaldo's hattrick were his first WC goals. The phrase "life's too short" comes to mind.

Zlaatan

Parody Account
Am I not allowed to make other points?
Let's just call it a misunderstanding, I can't be bothered with it anymore.

Not really the best quoting when you omit the part that matters.
Which part did I omit? I said nothing else about the Spain - Portugal game.. How can the part I quoted not matter the most when that was all I said about his performance?

Where in that did I say you were downplaying his performances for Portugal, how many times will you misunderstand the same sentence? I said you ignored his performances for Portugal next to lesser teammates while downplaying his Madrid performances by saying he wouldn't be able to replicate it with lesser teammates. Thet's literally all I've ever accused you of because I've read it... the fact you've managed to misunderstand the same quote 4 different times is astounding.

I say you ignore Portugal performances, you reply by asking me to show a quote of you talking about his Portugal performances... what the feck. That's literally the opposite of what ignoring means.
Oh, so I haven't said anything about his play for Portugal.. wow, I'm a bit stumped here since I didn't know that doing that was a requirement to be able to have an opinion about him. Sorry.

Anyway.. I keep asking you for quotes that you never ever deliver, but never mind. Whether I've said it before or not, I'll go on record right here and say that I 100% believe that Ronaldo, along with every player who has ever played the game, would do better if they played with better teammates and worse if they played with worse teammates, and I also think that anyone who disagrees with that needs their head checked. There, no old quotes needed.

I don't think he would have a 1+ goal/game average and win 4 CL titles in 5 years if he played for Levante, or that he would be top scorer in the EC if he was born in Estonia. Who he plays with matters, and if a team as good as Real who are among the absolute best in the world sets up to provide him with scoring chances, he will do infinitely better than if he played for Levante and they set up to defend 9/10 games. It's just common sense and it applies to all offensive players, not just Ronaldo.

"Wow. Ronaldo looked fantastic tonight, he got lucky the defense made those mistakes and he definitely wasn't good on the ball or at pressing the opponents though... the ref gave him all the calls he needed too! This is the best I've seen of him in years, it's totally rare that he plays well ahah he was fantastic though!"
I hate the word with a passion but that part could be used to define butthurt in every single dictionary til the end of time. Well done.

This is just stupid, we're arguing about previous posts instead of arguing about football. Let's leave it at that.
Well you are arguing about previous posts you think I wrote and even topics I haven't posted about, so I'm more than happy to stop when you stop.

Behind the right goal post as "Whiteside shoots!"
Wow, what an absolute clusterfeck of a post! Which I thought was a one-off, and then I read this:

Wow @wub1234 :lol::lol: How you do not have an appropriate tagline, I dont know :houllier:
Maybe someone could change "wub" to "wum"
Jesus, are you his mum?
I was wondering if it was Messi himself, it was so one sided.
Jesus Christ. We've found a more obsessive version of @Cal? , as unbelievable as that sounds.
Tbf to Cal (I know, I know)... he clearly thinks Ronaldo is better but isn't dismissive of Messi as a great player?
Hey @wub1234 Messi is not even better than Heskey
Very funny. Hidden among it all though is "Messi can play without Xavi and Iniesta" which someone commented on a few pages back. There's no doubting Messi is a GOAT but their respective teammates are rarely taken into consideration.... Ronaldo has some excellent support (at club level) but nowhere near the Barca team Messi had.

Are you Wubs Mum?

There's been SHEDLOADS of posts making clear points about why some posters prefer Ronaldo. Try reading them.

Revan

Assumptionman
I think that the only way to settle this debate once and for all is to have a Complete Mental Obliteration thread between @Cal? and @wub1234

Assuming that they'll accept - as Hectic heir - I take full responsibility on hosting that thread.

Let's be fair, it is 5-5 for them when it comes to Ballon D'Ors and 357-357 when it comes to Caf's Or. This might be the dealbreaker in this debate.

Spoony

The People's President
Not really? It's what has happened in all sports ever. There are Pele and Maradona fans. United and Liverpool fans. People side with teams and athletes in sports, it's literally the first thing that defines a sports fan.

Well yes it is. It maybe different in India where Tendulkar was revered as a deity by most, but growing up as a football fan I never saw this type of devotion towards players, especially ones that didn't play for your team. This place is another example of this bizarre following or player worship - when I first joined we didn't have this type of player following. It's possible it's down to the change in demographics, I'm confident the average age of Caf members was far higher than it is now.

By the way, I've never met Ronaldo and Messi fans outside of cyberland...perhaps they all keep it quiet in the outside world.

How bizarre....

Moby

Dick
Well yes it is. It maybe different in India where Tendulkar was revered as a deity by most, but growing up as a football fan I never saw this type of devotion towards players, especially ones that didn't play for your team. This place is another example of this bizarre following or player worship, when I first joined we didn't have this type of player following. It's possible it's down to the change in demographics, I'm confident the average age of Caf members was far higher than it is now.

By the way, I've never met Ronaldo and Messi fans outside f cyberland...perhaps they all keep it quiet in the outside world.

How bizarre....
If anything that is bizarre here it's your experience being a football fan. You haven't seen people devoted to their favourite sportsmen? Think again.

VBI

Supports
Celtic, Barca
Tbf to Cal (I know, I know)... he clearly thinks Ronaldo is better but isn't dismissive of Messi as a great player?
That's patently not true, if you read this thread. Messi is a "bottler" every time he misses a penalty, misses a shot, doesn't win a match single-handedly, his team dare to not win something, etc. Changing your mind after one game is clownshoe material. Iceland held Portugal in Euro 2016 in their opening match, sometimes even the best players don't play well in one game. It happens.

Deleted member 101472

Well yes it is. It maybe different in India where Tendulkar was revered as a deity by most, but growing up as a football fan I never saw this type of devotion towards players, especially ones that didn't play for your team. This place is another example of this bizarre following or player worship - when I first joined we didn't have this type of player following. It's possible it's down to the change in demographics, I'm confident the average age of Caf members was far higher than it is now.

By the way, I've never met Ronaldo and Messi fans outside of cyberland...perhaps they all keep it quiet in the outside world.

How bizarre....
Surely you can extrapolate enough to know that this just isn’t true.

Spoony

The People's President
If anything that is bizarre here it's your experience being a football fan. You haven't seen people devoted to their favourite sportsmen? Think again.

Not players who don't play for your team. Football is about teams and rivalries, it's not athe same as individual sports...and therefore devotion to athletes in other sports.

Goes for most other Ronaldo fans. They respect Messi far, far more than Messi fans respect Ronaldo who seem to act as the only ones who understand football. Same elitism as Barca fans
I'm a Ronaldo fan, always have been, always will be but I will never think Messi is anything other than a GOAT.

Messi fans keep quoting selective stats (Wub took it to a new level though!) and then someone mentions something they don't like and they seem to put their fingers in their ears and go "nah, nah, I'm not listening"?

A poster recently said "Ronaldo scored a hat trick against a very good Spain team, Messi missed a penalty and was average/decent against Iceland". One reply was it was harder for Messi as Iceland were organised and defensive..... really?! Its harder to play against Iceland than Pique, Ramos, Alba?!

Deleted member 101472

It really is. Unless you're in implying that I am lying. That said I saw a 6 year old with a Messi top on the other week - does that count?
Take it from a guy who’s gone to the nou camp, the bernabeu. You’re wrong.

That's patently not true, if you read this thread. Messi is a "bottler" every time he misses a penalty, misses a shot, doesn't win a match single-handedly, his team dare to not win something, etc. Changing your mind after one game is clownshoe material. Iceland held Portugal in Euro 2016 in their opening match, sometimes even the best players don't play well in one game. It happens.
I don't get your point.

I said Cal is pro Ronaldo but understands Messis greatness. You seem to be talking about "the masses" (I wasn't) and clownshoes?

I'm sure as a Barca fan, you're unbiased though.

Spoony

The People's President
Take it from a guy who’s gone to the nou camp, the bernabeu. You’re wrong.

Really...but I've never met them. Which is what I said. I don't give a stuff whether you live in the Nou Camp surrounded by Messi devotees with strap on Messi dildos attached to their foreheads.

Deleted member 101472

Really...but I've never met them. Which is what I said. I don't give a stuff whether you live in the Nou Camp surrounded by Messi devotees with strap on Messi dildos attached to their foreheads.
Well you referred to the outside world I assume you meant that as a whole.

Rito

Supports
Chelsea
cal? keeps messi in top 5 of all time, while wum1234 thinks ronaldo is a limited player and salah is better than ronaldo. simple really, to understand who's the deluded one.

ReddyMcRedface

My first and probably only post in this thread just to throw my two penneth in.

I think it’s pretty pointless debating on who is the better player, the sheer longevity of their careers has showed they are pretty much as effective as each other. Both have better attributes than the other and both have proved themselves incredible footballers over countless years.

I think the debate really comes down to who you believe has had the greater career. In a convoluted sort of way I think Ronaldo's vanity actually has a lot to do with the way their careers have panned out. I’ve always felt that in his early years at United Ronnie got so wrapped up on Ronaldo Vs. Kaka and then Ronaldo Vs. Messi that he let far too much selfishness into his game. To this day I feel like that cost us hugely in Rome.

However now, as Ronaldo has matured, his vanity and lust for the limelight leads to him taking the biggest of occasions and taking his game to another level. I don’t personally think that 24 year old Ronaldo would put that performance in against Spain the other night.

Messi on the other hand is the more level headed individual, I don’t see too much variation in his mentality regardless of the game. He’s been brilliant in finals but he’s also been relatively poor in finals and other big games.

I think on balance if their careers ended tomorrow you would probably say Ronaldo has just about had the greater career.

Having said that, I’ve always preferred Messi, just find him more enjoyable to watch.

2mufc0

Everything is fair game in capitalism!
Supports
Dragon of Dojima
Not players who don't play for your team. Football is about teams and rivalries, it's not athe same as individual sports...and therefore devotion to athletes in other sports.
Yeah I agree with this. Can understand a kid idolising an individual player but a grown man doing it.. It's just weird.

Sandyman

Very funny. Hidden among it all though is "Messi can play without Xavi and Iniesta" which someone commented on a few pages back. There's no doubting Messi is a GOAT but their respective teammates are rarely taken into consideration.... Ronaldo has some excellent support (at club level) but nowhere near the Barca team Messi had.
The funniest thing about this debate is how the arguments have switched. When Messi was dominating the "who's better contest" with peak Barca, Ronaldo fans argued Barca being the best team on the planet helped a lot and Messi fans downplayed it. Now, the roles have reversed. Barca fans keep harping about how Real Madrid being a great team is a factor in Ronaldo dominating and Ronaldo fans downplay it.

Cal?

CR7 fan
The funniest thing about this debate is how the arguments have switched. When Messi was dominating the "who's better contest" with peak Barca, Ronaldo fans argued Barca being the best team on the planet helped a lot and Messi fans downplayed it. Now, the roles have reversed. Barca fans keep harping about how Real Madrid being a great team is a factor in Ronaldo dominating and Ronaldo fans downplay it.
I don't think anyone can make a case for Madrid 15-18 (minus Ronaldo) being better than Barca 08-11 (minus Messi)

Status
Not open for further replies.