• Messi

• Ronaldo

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

fck

Supports
Bayern
It should if been closed in 2016 I agree. The debate ended that year and the following 2 combined.
look I understand why you think Ronaldo is better. Bias in your case is hard to avoid, but luckily for me I don't have any horse in this race and can judge this objectively.

SportingCP96

emotional range of a teaspoon
Supports
Sporting Clube de Portugal
Why would a Manchester United forum have a bias towards Messi :confused: if anything it would be the opposite.
Ronaldo has been at the top for the past 3 years winning everything there is to win. Euro, 3 peat champions league etc.

1 year Messi is clearly better and scores 2 vs Liverpool and everyone here is going crazy and everything Ronaldo is diminished per usual.

Thats what I mean.

Imagine the state of this forum if Messi won 3 CL in a row and won the Copa America. You and I both know the answer and is why I say this forum has an obvious bias towards Messi for a long time.

DaGOAT

Ronaldo has been at the top for the past 3 years winning everything there is to win. Euro, 3 peat champions league etc.

1 year Messi is clearly better and scores 2 vs Liverpool and everyone here is going crazy and everything Ronaldo is diminished per usual.

Thats what I mean.

Imagine the state of this forum if Messi won 3 CL in a row and won the Copa America. You and I both know the answer and is why I say this forum has an obvious bias towards Messi for a long time.
Messi has been statistically the better player and won trophies too (league titles and Cup trophies) while beating Ronaldo's Madrid directly. Messi has not only been better than Ronaldo this year. He has been most years.

DaGOAT

I trust you. You guys may not care but the timing is awfully convenient for the Messi brigade.
Calling Messi the best player and a better player compared to Ronaldo is completely reasonable. If that is a "brigade" then it seems like you have an agenda towards Messi as a player. Choosing that word makes you seem bitter because Messi is currently on his way to another CL and his third Triplete.

The holy trinity 68

The disparager

Thats what I mean.

Ronaldo won 2 league titles in 11 years with Rea Madrid. There is more football played every season than just the CL.

Acrobat7

Supports
Bayern Munich

Thats what I mean.

Voted Messi now. Would have voted Messi 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, etc. years ago.

Eddy_JukeZ

Messi's always been in a different tier to Ronaldo.

He can match Ronaldo's sheer goal-scoring but blows him away in the 'playmaker' department.

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
There is also other leagues in the world than La Liga, Ronny has proved himselve in arguably the best and on his way to doing it in Italy, not to mention International football.
Yes, joining Juventus who had won 7 Scudettos in a row before he got there definitely cemented his greatness. :rolleyes:

Also, CR7's win at the Euro 2016 is akin to Greece's win in 2004. A pretty poor team with poor results that would have seen them sent home in the group stages if not for a change to that tournament's design, and they won the final without CR7. It's hardly proving yourself as far as I'm concerned. For such incredible players, neither CR7 nor Messi have a definitive international moment to remember outside of group games that helps their legacy more than it hurts it.

WR

Frankie Barwell ITK
Messis definitely been better than Ronaldo this year no debate.
However if both retired tomorrow i think Ronaldo would have had the better career

This is something interesting I found online.
Dont know if its been posted here before.

Cristiano Ronaldo vs Lionel Messi in court:

Judge: Have any of you won the Golden ball? Ronaldo: Yes, 5 times.
Messi: Yes, 5 times as well.

Judge: Have any of you won the Golden Boot? Ronaldo: Yes, 4 times. Messi: Same here.

Judge: How many individual trophies have you each won? Ronaldo: 16. Messi: 13.

Judge: Have any of you played for another club’s first team besides your current one? Ronaldo: Yes! Sporting CP in Portugal first division and Manchester United in BPL. Messi: No. Only Barcelona.

Judge: Have any of you won a title with your national team?
Ronaldo: Yes! We won Portugal’s first ever European Championship.
Messi: No.

Judge: How many goals have each of you scored for your respective teams?
Ronaldo: Should I count the goals I’ve scored for Man United and Sporting?

Judge: No. Only for Real Madrid.
Ronaldo: 436 goals in 426 appearances or 9 seasons.
Messi: 539 goals in 625 appearances or 14 seasons.

Judge: Who has scored more hat- tricks in La Liga?
Ronaldo: Me. 35 in La Liga.
Messi: Ronaldo has. I’ve scored 28.

Judge: Which is the most prestigious competition in club football?
Ronaldo: Champions League.
Messi: Champions League.

Judge: Have any of you won Champions League? Ronaldo: Yes, 5 times in total with 2 different teams. Once with Man United and 4 times with Madrid.
Messi: Yes, 4 times with Barcelona only. J

Judge: Who has scored more goals in the CL between the two of you?
Ronaldo: I’ve scored 118 goals in the CL. Messi: I’ve scored 100.

Judge: Who has more assists between the two of you in the CL?
Ronaldo: I have 39.
Messi: Ronaldo has. I have 26.

Judge: Who has scored more goals in total in the CL finals?
Ronaldo: Me.
Messi: Ronaldo.

Judge: Which one of you have scored more free kicks?
Ronaldo: I have.
Messi: Ronaldo has.

Judge: Most goals with weak foot?
Ronaldo: Me, I think.
Messi: (Nods in agreement).

Judge: Most goals from outside of the box? Ronaldo: Me.. again.
Messi: Ronaldo.

Judge: Who has scored more headers? Ronaldo: Is that a serious question?
Messi: ...

Judge: Who has a better penalty conversion rate?
Ronaldo: I think I do. I’ve scored 82% of the penalties I’ve taken.
Messi: I’ve scored 77% of the penalties I’ve taken.

Judge: Which one of you have scored the most goals in total during your career? Ronaldo: I think I have. 647 goals.
Messi: I’ve scored 603

Judge: How many football records do each of you hold in total for both club and country? Ronaldo: 146
Messi: 110

Judge: Well, after analyzing all of the facts that have been presented to me. I can only draw one conclusion when it comes to comparing you both as football players. That conclusion is that Ronaldo is the better player in almost every category. When it comes to goal scoring and accolades for both club and country, Ronaldo comes out on top. Messi, you are without a doubt Barcelona’s best player of all time. But certainly not the world’s best ever. That is clearly Ronaldo at the moment. Messi: But I am younger than Ronaldo and haven’t played as many matches as him. Judge: I understand that, but until you surpass his goal scoring records and win as many trophies both individually and collectively as he has, then Ronaldo will, according to the statistics, be considered as the best football player of all time. Until then, keep pushing on and you just might be able to achieve just as much as Ronaldo.
I mean you have to give credit to both here. Came to the courtroom knowing every detail required, even down to the percentage of penalties they've scored. Strange choice of questioning though, with a clear bias towards Ronaldo. Anyone got a video for this?

Daysleeper

Supports
Barcelona
There is also other leagues in the world than La Liga, Ronny has proved himselve in arguably the best and on his way to doing it in Italy, not to mention International football.
Yes, I'm sure if Messi was in the EPL playing for City or Liverpool or went to Juventus he would struggle :houllier:

And Ronaldo was injured in the Euro final, he had no impact in the final even if he was good before it.

The difference between Ronaldo's international trophy cabinet and Messi's is the difference between Eder and Higuain.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
Yes, joining Juventus who had won 7 Scudettos in a row before he got there definitely cemented his greatness. :rolleyes:

Also, CR7's win at the Euro 2016 is akin to Greece's win in 2004. A pretty poor team with poor results that would have seen them sent home in the group stages if not for a change to that tournament's design, and they won the final without CR7. It's hardly proving yourself as far as I'm concerned. For such incredible players, neither CR7 nor Messi have a definitive international moment to remember outside of group games that helps their legacy more than it hurts it.
Yes, I'm sure if Messi was in the EPL playing for City or Liverpool or went to Juventus he would struggle :houllier:

And Ronaldo was injured in the Euro final, he had no impact in the final even if he was good before it.

The difference between Ronaldo's international trophy cabinet and Messi's is the difference between Eder and Higuain.
The defensiveness of the Messi crowd really is something else. I’m pointing out things that I admire about Ronny, and as per usual all that comes are salty responses. Il even say Messi is the more naturally gifted player, I just prefer Ronny, people are allowed different opinions you know, the world won’t end.

Daysleeper

Supports
Barcelona
The defensiveness of the Messi crowd really is something else. I’m pointing out things that I admire about Ronny, and as per usual all that comes are salty responses. Il even say Messi is the more naturally gifted player, I just prefer Ronny, people are allowed different opinions you know, the world won’t end.
It's not being defensive, it's your flawed logic. Ronaldo wasn't doing this with Bournemouth and Udinese, he was on some stacked teams.

He deserves credit for taking United back on top, and part of an incredible era for Madrid, but put Messi in any of the biggest clubs in England and Juventus and he'd do just as well if not better.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
It's not being defensive, it's your flawed logic. Ronaldo wasn't doing this with Bournemouth and Udinese, he was on some stacked teams.

He deserves credit for taking United back on top, and part of an incredible era for Madrid, but put Messi in any of the biggest clubs in England and Juventus and he'd do just as well if not better.
This is the shit I’m talking about. Ronaldo has done it and it’s meaningless, Messi hasn’t but if he did he would ace it. Are you actually taking in what you are saying? Belittle Ronaldo for what he has done and praise Messi for what he hasn’t. Total straw man argument, embarrassingly fan boy.

SportingCP96

Supports
This is the shit I’m talking about. Ronaldo has done it and it’s meaningless, Messi hasn’t but if he did he would ace it. Are you actually taking in what you are saying? Belittle Ronaldo for what he has done and praise Messi for what he hasn’t. Total straw man argument, embarrassingly fan boy.
This is exactly what I am talking about. Its utter disrespect. Everything Ronaldo has done especially in these last 3 to 4 years is so easily forgotten. Yet if it was Messi who did It oh bpy.

it's literally like this. "Ronaldo wins CL 3 years in a row, Ronaldo wins the Euro with Portugal, Incredible performances destroys CL record" then Messi fans " ehh BUT DID YOU SEE THOSE 2 GOALS VS LIVERPOOL??! re open all polls its official goat forget what Ronaldo has done it don't matter".

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
I changed my vote to Ronaldo just to see the world burn.

Chaos is a ladder.

Edit: just saw that free kick again and changed it back.

Schneckerl

I don't understand how people can change their mind all the time based on what happens in the current season or even one games when both played over 15 seasons and about 700-800 games.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
I changed my vote to Ronaldo just to see the world burn.

Chaos is a ladder.
They will come for you, how dare you :lol:.

This is exactly what I am talking about. Its utter disrespect. Everything Ronaldo has done especially in these last 3 to 4 years is so easily forgotten. Yet if it was Messi who did It oh bpy.

it's literally like this. "Ronaldo wins CL 3 years in a row, Ronaldo wins the Euro with Portugal, Incredible performances destroys CL record" then Messi fans " ehh BUT DID YOU SEE THOSE 2 GOALS VS LIVERPOOL??! re open all polls its official goat forget what Ronaldo has done it don't matter".
Also I think most people would agree that Messi is a unique talent and certainly in the top 3-4 players ever. However most Messi fan boys just say completely over top statements about how much better Messi is, it get to the point where you can’t take anything they say seriously.

VanKenny

Its giving the different achievements the weight they deserve. Winning with Juventus, while not even being the best player in the league, being outscored by some other players, its meaningless when talking about if he's better than Messi or not. Why? Because Juvents had won the league for like the last 10 years without him anyway.

It would have been way better if he had stayed at Madrid and actually tried to end Barcelona's dominance in La Liga. Winning La Liga with Real Madrid would have been 5x as difficult as winning it with Juve. Now that would have been a great achievement to talk about in here. But he took the easy way out.

If Messi joined Juve, nobody would say he is the best because he won in a different league. The "Messi brigade" would say hes the best simply because hes the best football player, regardless of who he plays for, his teammates, his coaches, Eder, Karius, etc.

SportingCP96

Supports
They will come for you, how dare you :lol:.

Also I think most people would agree that Messi is a unique talent and certainly in the top 3-4 players ever. However most Messi fan boys just say completely over top statements about how much better Messi is, it get to the point where you can’t take anything they say seriously.
The part that does not make sense is if Messi is top 3 or 4 or 5 ever (he is) then so is Ronaldo (he is). They have been neck and neck their whole careers and the big debate has always been Messi vs Ronaldo.

As for this debate here and this poll this forum has always been VERY tilted towards one way and I have said that even before it was open again.

Whiteside '85

Love Ronaldo for purely Utd bias reasons but will always vote Messi. He's the GOAT imho. When he first arrived on scene was already as good as anyone I'd ever seen.

Edit: Now he's better than anyone I've ever seen.

VanKenny

The part that does not make sense is if Messi is top 3 or 4 or 5 ever (he is) then so is Ronaldo (he is). They have been neck and neck their whole careers and the big debate has always been Messi vs Ronaldo.

As for this debate here and this poll this forum has always been VERY tilted towards one way and I have said that even before it was open again.
Doesnt make sense for you because you seem to live in a different reality where the quality of a football player is defined by factors like heading, the balon de or votes for the last 15 years, etc. . It does make sense for most people, for people that think that the best football players of all time are... well, the best football players of all time, as in, the ones that played with a ball on their feet the best.

In most people's eyes, CR7 is not a better football player than Maradona was. Not close. He was never as good or better than Pele either, or Messi. At least in the mind of most people.

For me, CR7 is a legend of the game. TOP 10 player for sure, above legends like Van Basten, Zidane, Iniesta, Xavi, or in the same tier or slightly above players like Di Stefano, Ronaldo, Beckenbauer etc.

Then you have 4 geniuses. Cruyff, Maradona, Pele and Messi. Players that changed the game and cemented their names in history. Players that could do with a ball things that nobody else could. TBH, i could even put CR7 on there too, maybe on par with Cruyff, simply because of how the machine that is CR7, without having half the ball skills Cruyff had, won more than he did and did it for so long.

But above those two, there is simply no question on who's the best. Argentinians say its Maradona because he gave them a world cup, Brazilians and old people will say its Pele for obvious reasons, and most other people will say its Messi.

But thats it. There is only room for 3 up there, and those 3 are FAR above anyone else including Cruyff and CR7. There is no way you can leave out any of those 3 down to bring CR7 up. The podium of the greatest of all time just doesnt work if you say its CR7, Maradona and Pele. Just doesnt seem right for most people, thats just plain wrong, and even your stomach would tell you that it is bullshit.

A podium of Messi, Pele and Maradona however, feels good on the belly. Just use your common sense my friend and realize who's the best. Just, give it up already. CR7 is great, top 5 of all time, there i said it. Just leave it at that man, there is no shame on that.

Cloud7

I don't understand how people can change their mind all the time based on what happens in the current season or even one games when both played over 15 seasons and about 700-800 games.
Yeah I don’t understand it either. Messi has been the best in my eyes pretty much since his rise to his best. No CL or euros have ever changed what my eyes see when I watch him play. It’s quite insane to me after all these years that people can change their opinion after a game against Liverpool or after being knocked out by Ajax :lol:

Enigma_87

You know who
At one time it was very one sided and many changed it to Cristiano, probably to even things out.

65-35 or 60-40 is probably accurate.

MalcolmTucker

You're the only one getting defensive mate, people are allowed to question your opinions. He never said it was meaningless, he said he deserved credit for it.

Messi has 26 goals against the PL top 6 in 33 games. He has a higher goal per game ratio than anyone that has ever played in the PL and he has only played against teams that have finished in the top 4.
Ronaldo has 28 in 70. And that was before Spurs and City were decent.

Also, Ronaldo is being outscored by a 36 year old Quagliarella, Piatek and Zapata in Serie A this season which I hardly call domination.

Personally I find the 'done it in other leagues' argument daft so forgive me for arguing the point and being a defensive fanboy

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
I changed my vote to Messi because one of the modmins pm-ed me to do it.

Daysleeper

Supports
Barcelona
Terrible argument. Zlatan has done, Beckham has done it, why couldn't Messi do it? I mean look at context. I'd argue Maradonna dragging Napoli to their heights is more impressive than Messi with a stacked Barca squad or Ronaldo with a stacked Madrid/United/Juventus squad

Juventus won the league EIGHT years in a row, it doesn't move the needle at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.