Mesut Özil

RDCR07

Not a bad guy (Whale Killer)
One of the best #10's in the world we missed out on. Would have taken him in a heartbeat. He is going to be huge for Arsenal in the years to come. How do you lads think he is going to do in the league and how are Arsenal going to lineup with him in the team?

coolredwine

lameredboots
It is nowhere confirmed that we were in for him. We already have Rooney and Kagawa in his position. Would have been a luxury buy, if anything.

BD

technologically challenged barbie doll
Ozil
Walcott-Giroud-Cazorla​

I imagine thats how it'll go. I'd have loved Ozil here, but if he was our only signing it wouldnt have addressed our main problem, a problem which the signing of Fellaini has addresses.

Hellboy

It is nowhere confirmed that we were in for him. We already have Rooney and Kagawa in his position. Would have been a luxury buy, if anything.
He was obviously offered to us, but we turned down the opportunity to sign him. A front 4 of Ozil, Nani/Kagawa, Rooney, RVP would have been just out of this world.

Watch him do the difference for Arsenal, propably not in terms of winning the title this season, but he will inspire them for years to come.

coolredwine

lameredboots
He was obviously offered to us, but we turned down the opportunity to sign him. A front 4 of Ozil, Nani/Kagawa, Rooney, RVP would have been just out of this world.
And what do you think we would have done with Young and Valencia (Adding Giggs/Zaha as well). Would it feasible having so many players for those 2 positions?

Cina

And what do you think we would have done with Young and Valencia (Adding Giggs/Zaha as well). Would it feasible having so many players for those 2 positions?
Who cares about Young and Valencia?

coolredwine

lameredboots
No one. But its not FM to dispose off two players with a snap.

And there is a little problem of fitting Ozil in the team as well. We haven't been able to find a proper place for Kagawa till now. What makes you think we will have a place for Ozil, without shunning him out on the wing?

Cina

No one. But its not FM to dispose off two players with a snap.

And there is a little problem of fitting Ozil in the team as well. We haven't been able to find a proper place for Kagawa till now. What makes you think we will have a place for Ozil, without shunning him out on the wing?
I don't particularly care about getting Ozil, class as he is, he's not what we need. But he's much better than every player you've listed, that's why I find it so odd when people get concerned about them losing their place in the team as a result.

coolredwine

lameredboots
I don't particularly care about getting Ozil, class as he is, he's not what we need. But he's much better than every player you've listed, that's why I find it so odd when people get concerned about them losing their place in the team as a result.
I am not at all concerned about those two players. Had we made arrangements for them both (loan or offer), then going in for Ozil would have made sense. But, 6 players for 2 positions would have been a mighty overkill. That's the point I am trying to make.

Also, we haven't been able to fit Kagawa (same positions). I doubt we would be able to play Ozil in his favoured position.

psychdelicblues

If his best position is the one Rooney plays in, then it's no surprise United turned him down as soon it was known that Rooney was committed to the club.

alastair

ignorant
I'm enjoying every post which says 'oh we didn't need him, we're stocked in that position.'

I enjoy even more the fact that Moyes clearly thinks that too.

Member 39557

Ozil is a cracking player, but Arsenal were seemingly after a striker all summer and ended up with a player that they arguably didn't need. I look forward to watching him play though, the premiership needed it after losing Bale.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Oh yes. Comparing football players to furniture. Well done.
Thanks. It wasn't the most taxing analogy I've made this summer, but It got a point of view across in a light-hearted manner... and I feel it's always good if you can discuss the often far too serious world of football in a more jovial manner... Obviously I can see you fully agree with this approach.

IhabX7

Indeed... why buy this ridiculously comfy sofa when I have a perfectly good floor to sit on?

Absolutely :lol:

The word has been used so many times in Ozil threads that I just had to laugh. People who have watched him for the last 3 or 4 years know that he is, with Iniesta, the best in the business. It's not a luxury if you're not walking the league. It's not a luxury when he goes in straight to the first XI of any Premier League club.

Hellboy

Yes because Young is shit & Giggs are not good enough anymore, and Valencia could be useful for the squad in different positions.

JB7

If his best position is the one Rooney plays in, then it's no surprise United turned him down as soon it was known that Rooney was committed to the club.
Think labelling him "committed" because he refused to hand in a transfer request (therefore losing a £4-5m payment from the club) is a bit much.

Vato

Watches other men wank.Supports Real.Coincidence?
Supports
Real Madrid
:lol: I can only laugh. Some people don't know how good Ozil is apparently.

I'm betting he'll become the leaugue's best hands down.

NinjaFletch

I love Ozil and think he'll easily become one of the best in the league, but I'm not sure he'll be the instant success people are predicting and I think he may well struggle for a few months.

I'm not sure he'll be used to the ridiculous level of attention he's going to receive from players as the focal point of Arsenal's attack, after all at Madrid his job was often made easier by the fact that the opposition was rightfully more concerned with Ronaldo than him. Neither do I think he will naturally be able to cope with the more demanding intensity of the Premier League compared to Spain.

Of course, he has all the talent (and in Wenger the right manager to properly intergrate him into the side and league) but I think he might face an initial struggle.

On another note I'm a little sad that two of my old favourite players (Podolski, FM 2005 :drool: and Ozil) are now at Arsenal.

NotoriousISSY

$10mil and I fecked it up!
Speaks volumes when Ronaldo criticises the decision to let him go. I know deep down he's saying "there goes the Robin to my batman", but the only people in Madrid happy with this deal are the ones who needed the move to fund 50% of the Bale deal.

JazzG

Resident Arse.
Hopefully he can show his form at R.Madrid with us, think Theo & Santi in particular will benefit immensely having him in the side. We have been far too reliant on Cazorla to provide our creative spark and this will help us in that regard. Some seem to think we don't need another creative player but those who watch us week in week out know how reliant we are on Cazorla.

He was obviously offered to us, but we turned down the opportunity to sign him.
No real confirmation of this though is it? Some journalists have said and some are saying you tried to come in at the last minute to get him.

Revan

Assumptionman
The only problem would have been wages. Despite how bad they're playing (especially Young) you can't just don't care for players who combined earn somewhere around 200k/week. If we could have sold them in order to buy Ozil it would have been great though. I think that he's better that both of Rooney/Kagawa as a No.10 and could have become our best player.

Great signing for Arsenal. They're not going to win the title this season but they have improved. Wouldn't surprise me if Ozil becomes the best player in the league in this or the next season.

Vato

Watches other men wank.Supports Real.Coincidence?
Supports
Real Madrid
I have seen some very good players leave Madrid in recent years but this (along with Raul) is the one I'm the most gutted about. Every fan I've spoken to can't believe he's gone.

Ceks

Prefers em hot, and spicy
“We must respect the other fellow’s religion, but
Taken from Wikipedia:

Germany under-21 manager Horst Hrubesch once said, "We in Germany are prone to rave about foreign players. We praise Wayne Rooney to the heavens, likewise Ronaldo or Messi. But we have our own Messi. Our Messi is Özil." In the UEFA Euro 2012 qualifier against Belgium he scored a goal which has been described as a "work of art." Germany coach Joachim Löw hails Özil for his 'genius moments' and his performance without the ball.

Real Madrid midfielder Xabi Alonso described Özil as "the kind of player you don't find these days," adding, "He understands the game, sees things, combines and thrives between the lines, unlocking teams," while José Mourinho said, "Ozil is unique. There is no copy of him – not even a bad copy." Mourinho also stated that, "He is the best number 10 in the world. Everyone loves him and sees a bit of Luis Figo and Zinedine Zidane in him. He will make history at Real Madrid."

Assistant coach of the Germany national football team Hans-Dieter Flick says, "We are proud to have him in our team. When he has the ball, you can feel the excitement and astonishment among the fans." Former Holland international Ruud Gullit labelled German Özil as a "technically perfect" player who has "total control of the ball" and has "great imagination".

Enough said.

RedRover

Hopefully he can show his form at R.Madrid with us, think Theo & Santi in particular will benefit immensely having him in the side. We have been far too reliant on Cazorla to provide our creative spark and this will help us in that regard. Some seem to think we don't need another creative player but those who watch us week in week out know how reliant we are on Cazorla.

No real confirmation of this though is it? Some journalists have said and some are saying you tried to come in at the last minute to get him.
The big issue here is clear for me - supplying the ammunition for Benzema, Higuain and Ronaldo in a league where a lot of games against lower oppsition turn into processions is one thing. Doing the same for players a level below in Walcott and Giroud in a league as competative as the PL is another.

I think he's a good player for any side, and he'll improve any team. But this doesnt address any of the issues Arsenal had before the transfer window. Infact, if you asked anyone where Arsenal need to stregthen the last thing they needed was more pretty, "tippy tappy" creative players.

Youre clearly a Gooner so I'll ask the question as I'm interested - are you any more convinced you can win the title with this signing? Or are you concerned that Wenger seems to be trying to pull the wool over everyone's eyes?

Cina

I have seen some very good players leave Madrid in recent years but this (along with Raul) is the one I'm the most gutted about. Every fan I've spoken to can't believe he's gone.
Silly Madrid.

Isco will probably be a better player than him in a few years (thanks for not letting City get him) though.

Bestie07

How do you know?
I hate these kinds of questions. We know 1% of what is happening in the club. Doesn't stop us from using some common sense to see where a player like Ozil, who's just hitting his prime would rather have gone. It's no disrespect to Arsenal, but going from Real to United may be argued as a sideways step in career, Real to Arsenal is a downwards step, and players don't like taking downwards steps, specially when they have shown they are capable of performing, and excelling at that level.

Danillaco

That spanish guy said that he was our first target, but said he wouldn't want to go to a city as ugly as Manchester. :lol: If you believe it's true...

Revan

Assumptionman
I hate these kinds of questions. We know 1% of what is happening in the club. Doesn't stop us from using some common sense to see where a player like Ozil, who's just hitting his prime would rather have gone. It's no disrespect to Arsenal, but going from Real to United may be argued as a sideways step in career, Real to Arsenal is a downwards step, and players don't like taking downwards steps, specially when they have shown they are capable of performing, and excelling at that level.
We don't know how much money we offered (if we were for him). There is also the prospect of playing under Wenger, while here at United the manager is a complete unknown quality at top. Of course we United supporters hope that things will go right, but others would probably be a bit more cautious when it come to United. And then it's Manchester or London.

If it was United under SAF with the same wages as Arsenal, then likely he would have chosen us but now we don't have SAF and we don't know how much money we offered. Considering how bad we performed in this transfer window wouldn't surprise ma at all if he chose Arsenal even if we wanted him.