Mesut Ozil wants to help British South Asians succeed as he launches Bradford Football for Peace centre

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
Supports
A Free Palestine
Mesut Ozil: "I've always been surprised why the South Asian Community are only allowed to be fans of the game. Why are we not seeing more players or managers breaking into professional football? I want to give them an opportunity to be successful." Ozil football centre opens in Bradford
Mesut Ozil says he will give British South Asian players a platform to shine after linking up with partners including the Football Association and Bradford City for the launch of the Football for Peace Mesut Ozil Centre.

Speaking exclusively to Sky Sports News last year, former Liverpool striker Emile Heskey spoke about growing up in Leicester and playing football with South Asian kids as a youngster, adding the community has an unquestionable passion for the game.

Yet despite making up around eight per cent of the UK population, less than 0.25 per cent of players across the leagues in England are from a South Asian background, with Kick It Out chair Sanjay Bhandari telling Sky Sports News that this is "the biggest statistical anomaly in football".
https://www.skysports.com/football/...e-launches-bradford-football-for-peace-centre

Kasper

Supports
Hansa Rostock / Bradford City
Ahhh Özil is such a divisive figure haha. Does a lot of interesting things but then also does a lot of really questionable stuff. This sounds like a great thing however the last I heard of him was when he campaigned for the German equivalent of George Galloway in the German election so yeah.

Acrobat7

Supports
Bayern Munich
Ahhh Özil is such a divisive figure haha. Does a lot of interesting things but then also does a lot of really questionable stuff. This sounds like a great thing however the last I heard of him was when he campaigned for the German equivalent of George Galloway in the German election so yeah.
I absolutely agree with you. His campaign support for such a figure and his love for all things Erdogan simply disqualify him.

Uniquim

I really liked that he paid Gunnersaurus' wages so he could continue when Arsenal laid him off. The same guy had been the mascot for 27 years or something like that, and it was when Özil was basically frozen out of the Arsenal squad. Nice touch.

the_cliff

Not surprised, everyone knows the real reason Ozil was frozen out was because of his China comments. He's a good guy at heart.

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
I really liked that he paid Gunnersaurus' wages so he could continue when Arsenal laid him off. The same guy had been the mascot for 27 years or something like that, and it was when Özil was basically frozen out of the Arsenal squad. Nice touch.
He is an excellent troll sometimes, while having a good heart at the same time.

Still is a stupid guy and his support for people like Erdogan or Todenhöfer is a big issue.

Jacob

What exactly is South Asian? Indians, pakistanis etc.?

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
He is an excellent troll sometimes, while having a good heart at the same time.

Still is a stupid guy and his support for people like Erdogan or Todenhöfer is a big issue.
That's an example of how complicated humanS are. Ozil acts like a very nice, altruistic person but also support some not very nice people.

Chipper

Adulterer.
Good on him, sounds like a worthy idea to me.

Not sure why it's called football for peace though, is Bradford particularly violent/non peaceful?