Metro: Harry Maguire feeling strain of Manchester United captaincy

makes new threads with tweets in the OP

K Stand Knut

If this is true (which it isn’t), he should lose the captaincy (which isn’t going to happen)

Clickbait

Again

Strats

If he feels too much pressure and it has an effect on his performances there is no shame in handing it over to someone else.

Sparky_Hughes

I am Shitbeard.
We are feeling the strain of watching hms Harry floundering and taking on water every week. I know who I feel sorry for.

Nero

Are we paying attention to newspapers given away free on buses now?

Sviken

Give the armband to Ronaldo or Bruno. Maguire should never have been captain. Not captain material in any way whatsoever.

Desert Eagle

Punjabi Dude
This at a time when the expectations at the club are on the floor. He’s not made of that stuff.
:lol: Exactly imagine when he actually has to lead a team of winners expected to compete at the highest level. The guy is having a meltdown for an Ole United that has won feck all because a couple serial winners have joined.

RedDevilQuebecois

This is the Sami Hyypia captaincy all over again, but this is Manchester United enduring the problem instead of Liverpool. For the record, Hyypia was increasingly becoming shite as club captain for 2 years.

Either Bruno or Marcus should be captain depending on the identity we want to build the team around for the longer term.

Last edited:

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
May well be false, but I will say many players will feel like imposters in Ronaldo’s proximity; takes a particular kind of personality to be assured enough amongst players outright better than them to be giving instructions with authority and presence.

If it’s true, there’d be no shame whatsoever for Maguire. He’s won nothing and done nothing in a dressing room with multiple CL, league and world and European championship winners who are legitimately some of the biggest names on the planet in their respective positions.

IrishMcD

He's not captain material on or off the pitch. He doesn't belong at United.

He'll be playing at Newcastle next season.
Wishful thinking. Even if we do get a competent manager, I reckon Fletcher and Murtagh would shoot down any effort to sell him unfortunately. But we can dream that Newcastle offer stupid money for him.

Rolaholic

It's an embarrassment to the club that he was handed it without any merit just months after joining.

Mix that with the world record fee and all the pressure in the world was placed on him by the manager for no reason and we've suffered for it

YouknowNani

Just get him out of the team. He's ridiculously bad at both being a captain and playing football.

Pearl.Jam

Lynn, I’m not reading the Metro
I’m not reading the Metro

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
Give it to CR7. Fecker can handle anything and everything and he would still score.

iHicksy

Always thought Bruno made a much better choice as captain personally. He has the personality and drive of a winner. Similar to Ronaldo.

noodlehair

"It's like..."
Your captain can't be your worst player and you shouldn't play just because you're captain.

I don't care if he's feeling the strain. You don't captain one of the biggest football clubs in the world if you can't hack it.

He's been so unbelievably shite since the Leicester game, the only sympathy he deserves is that Ole won't stop picking him so he can at least get a break from drowning live on international television every 4 days.

VanDeBank

Ma’am
Give it to Ronnie. Cavani 2nd captain, he can deal with the pressure. Matic probably could too.

Ideally Bruno grows into the role.

Someone

Something
He isn't captain material. He just projected that image of the English hardman leader, but in practice, he's always the first to crumble under pressure.

I think he might regain his form in time, but he shouldn't be the captain, and it's almost certain that any new manager will give it to someone else.

Kaos

Metro is gutter journalism, but I don't disagree with the sentiment.

I actually think it would do him a world of good to surrender the captaincy and focus on his own game. Perhaps one of the reasons why he performs better for England is he doesn't have the added pressure that comes with wearing the armband. Give it to Ronaldo and sort your (slab)head out Harry.