Gaming Metroid Dread (Nintendo Switch)

b82REZ

Just beat the first boss.

It does a really good job of teaching you from your mistakes

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
Just completed a 2nd run. Still took me almost 8 hours. Wasn't a speedrun, but thought I'd complete it in less time.

Redlambs

Creator of the Caftards comics
Officially the best poker player on RAWK.
I so badly wanted to love this, but the further I get the more I found myself playing through it just because.

It's not a bad game as such, but it's a curious mix of relying on ancient ideas (including the ridiculous 20+ yo decision to make double jump work like that whilst simultaneously adding mobility that literally breaks the camera) and trying to introduce tedious shit like the Emmi and not realising it properly.

I could go on and on about the many design flaws, and may well do at some point, but without shadow of a doubt the worst thing is they seem to have borrowed the level designers from that last jedi game and don't seem to understand what makes a metroidvania a metroidvania. I mean, this could not be more a "my first metroid game, here's my hand!".

There's simply no excuse this long after stuff like Hollow Knight to be so dour, linear and devoid of any real challenge.

It's very pretty though, there's that.

Alock1

Wears XXXL shirts and can't type ellipses
I played the demo on Switch and was really underwhelmed. Didn't help that they made the decision to make you watch stupidly long cutscenes before playing, especially when you can't skip even if you come back to the demo a 2nd time (if you can, please tell me how). The controls didn't feel as tight as expected and the aim and shoot felt clunky. Does that change with practise or does it stay clunky? And do things become more fluid with progression?

What's the general consensus here from people who have played games like Steam World Dig, Ori, Hollow Knight in recent years? Is it highly regarded because its great or because its Metroid?

Redlambs

I played the demo on Switch and was really underwhelmed. Didn't help that they made the decision to make you watch stupidly long cutscenes before playing, especially when you can't skip even if you come back to the demo a 2nd time (if you can, please tell me how). The controls didn't feel as tight as expected and the aim and shoot felt clunky. Does that change with practise or does it stay clunky? And do things become more fluid with progression?

What's the general consensus here from people who have played games like Steam World Dig, Ori, Hollow Knight in recent years? Is it highly regarded because its great or because its Metroid?
Because it's Metroid imo. And I can say that as a massive fan, and being known as one of (if not THE) Nintendo fanboys on here.

The controls are all over the place. It's like a weird mix of Nes/Snes type, complete with bad edge of block collision detection, yet they then add in some speed moves. As I said, things like the double jump only activating at full height, yet there's dash and a grapple hook thing (that needs 3 f'ing buttons to use!). In fact there's a lot of stuff that needs multiple buttons presses, or at least has them (like edge climbing, it's actually insane in a game that's supposed to be about running away at time, climbing up a ledge or into a hole has 3 bloody different inputs...how the hell did that one pass playtesting???)

I showed my Mrs earlier the double chozo warrior fight, as that's the best one so far to show all the problems with the game from the controls, to the A.I, to the collision detections as well as the room layouts. I'm not convinced the developers get either Metroid or Metroidvanias. It's not a patch on any of those games you mention imo, even the sound design is off and this is a Nintendo flagship.

Then we have the Emmi...possibly the worst attempt to add a new mechanic to any genre ever. It's objectively a terrible addition in how they've done it. Which is sad, because it's the one part I was really looking forward to. Now I just sigh and prepare for tedium when they come up. Thank feck they are short sections and ridiculously easy (and completely lacking any dread :lol:).

Oh and to skip cutscenes you press + then -. At least in the full game mate. Which is still worth a play, as it's still a decent game in it's own right even if it's probably the worst Metroid, but only get it on sale.

Redlambs

Also the enemies could not possibly be more generic, bland and just simplistic in their movement patterns. Not had a memorable boss fight yet either, and I'm pretty far in now.

Yes, you can tell I'm disappointed :lol:

b82REZ

I don't think it's quite as bad a you're making out Lambs, but I agree completely about the controls. It's not as good as HK or Will of the Wisps but certainly better than most of the other imitations that come out almost daily nowadays.

I generally like to play games on my Switch in handheld and this is almost unplayable in handheld. The controls are cramp inducing.

I never finished this, but reckon I'll get back to it one day.

Redlambs

I don't think it's quite as bad a you're making out Lambs, but I agree completely about the controls. It's not as good as HK or Will of the Wisps but certainly better than most of the other imitations that come out almost daily nowadays.

I generally like to play games on my Switch in handheld and this is almost unplayable in handheld. The controls are cramp inducing.

I never finished this, but reckon I'll get back to it one day.
I've said it's not that it's bad as a game numerous times, but it's not great as as Metroid. It's incredibly disappointing, disjointed and baffling in a lot of the design choices that you'd expect a lot better from a Nintendo game, one which the genre is named after. Plus it's just so linear (despite being rather large) and easy.

I could go on and on, and I'm willing to bet if I listed the flaws and reasoning in posts one by one, people would find it hard to disagree with much of it objectively. Stuff like the difficulty and absolute woeful nature of the Emmis, maybe, but the controls/a.I/collision detection issues/sound/level design/overall linearity would be much harder to argue with.

And that's the crux. Yeah it looks pretty and it's Metroid, but take Samus out and it's just another clone with numerous mediocre parts that doesn't quite get the brief of the genre.