Gaming Metroid Dread (Nintendo Switch)

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
I'm just beat the 3rd Emmi. Game is decent so far, but I feel score in the reviews seem too high. Hollow knight was way better than this.

Gehrman

I can't beat Kraid despite that he's supposed to be an easy boss.

Gehrman

Google sequence breaker, if you get a morphball bomb you can beat him easily.
I did the cheese and have made it to the part where a bird person has a 10 min monologue. TBH the EMMI schick is getting boring at this point. I know i'm moaning. It's a decent game, but it could have been a lot more. Where to go after beating the Chozo soldier?

Last edited:

Spoony

The People's President
I did the cheese and have made it to the part where a bird person has a 10 min monologue. TBH the EMMI schick is getting boring at this point. I know i'm moaning. It's a decent game, but it could have been a lot more. Where to go after beating the Chozo soldier?
Man, I've forgotten...er.... tried Googling it??

esmufc07

Brad
Scout
Can't be arsed! I've had a couple of goes and since been collecting items instead.
You’ve come so far you need to finish it…..

Just focus on each phase (there are 3) and mastering his moves. Phase 1 and 2 is fairly straightforward once you get the hang of it - phase 3 is tougher as he can be so quick. But I have faith.

Spoony

The People's President
You’ve come so far you need to finish it…..

Just focus on each phase (there are 3) and mastering his moves. Phase 1 and 2 is fairly straightforward once you get the hang of it - phase 3 is tougher as he can be so quick. But I have faith.
Ta fella. I'll get around to him eventually. Reckon they'll make another 2D Metroid? If so what changes would you make?

esmufc07

Brad
Scout
Ta fella. I'll get around to him eventually. Reckon they'll make another 2D Metroid? If so what changes would you make?
I hope so. I’d like it if they put an easy mode in just for a more casual playthrough. I’d also like them to make each area more unique. All the areas kind of felt the same in MD, whereas in SM every area had its own distinct feel.

Spoony

The People's President
I hope so. I’d like it if they put an easy mode in just for a more casual playthrough. I’d also like them to make each area more unique. All the areas kind of felt the same in MD, whereas in SM every area had its own distinct feel.

I don't think it needs to be easier or have an easier mode just the boss fights need to be less tedious, and not have a pointless EMMI running after you - it wasn't scary. I'd have more exploration fewer bosses and more of a feeling of isolation. The sound effects and music needs sorting too. I love the game's fluidity and that screw attack was glorious. I keep on dreaming of Super Metroid, how about some sort of retro style graphics? The problem is that the music, sound and effects in Super Metroid was due to the SNES's 18 bit, re-creating would feel forced, I guess. To be fair, they've got a great template for future 2D Metroid games.

b82REZ

Is it a Metroidvania?

And did you get MD?
Getting it tonight.

The first half is an homage to the old 2d side scrolling games like Ninja Gaiden, about half way through you gain the ability to switch between 8 bit and 16 bit and it's becomes more metroidvania-like. It's a truly mint game. It's worth it just for the soundtrack as well.

Gehrman

Did you guys get all the energy tanks and parts before fighting the final boss? I find getting them really hard and tedious.

Gehrman

Well I beat the game. Dunno what to feel about it. Probably around 7.5. Solid but not really special. Felt the Emmi's became kind of a drag quickly.

b82REZ

Played an hour or so last night.

It's good. More difficult than I expected. Reached the first boss. Is he only damaged by missiles or charged shots?

b82REZ

Also this game is awful in handheld. Probably the first game that's a Nintendo game that is noway suited to playing that way.

Ødegaard

formerly MrEriksen
Scout
More of a 6/10 for me so far. Not a fan of metroid, always been more of a castlevania guy.

Spoony

The People's President
Very high. They were a long time ago though.

7.5 is decent/good.

Hollow knight was a 9/10.
I've only seen Hollow Knight but does it play better than MD? I love Samus's movement. Also from what I've seen Ori looks the most beautiful Metrovania game.

Gehrman

I've only seen Hollow Knight but does it play better than MD? I love Samus's movement. Also from what I've seen Ori looks the most beautiful Metrovania game.
The movement in Dread might be better, but the whole atmosphere, art design and enjoyment is on another level in Hollow Knight. Dread is good/decent, but I could have wished for more for Metroids Switch debut. The Emmi stress factor gets old and repetitive very quickly and while there was some good bosses, I don't think most of them are memorable.

Spoony

The People's President
The movement in Dread might be better, but the whole atmosphere, art design and enjoyment is on another level in Hollow Knight. Dread is good/decent, but I could have wished for more for Metroids Switch debut. The Emmi stress factor gets old and repetitive very quickly and while there was some good bosses, I don't think most of them are memorable.

I might give Hollow Knight a try...it's difficult, though, isn't it?

Agree with everything you've said about Dread.

b82REZ

Really? I never had an issue in handheld, though admittedly I probably only played an hour or two that way in total.
The picture becomes really washed out, joycons are notoriously shit, but I've never had such a bad experience with as I did with Dread.

It plays really well docked though

Gehrman

I might give Hollow Knight a try...it's difficult, though, isn't it?

Agree with everything you've said about Dread.
I thought it was really hard tbh. I know making hard games is all the rage after the souls series became popular, but sometimes it just becomes tedious if you're not very good at gaming.