Gaming Metroid

Woodzy

Since revisiting Super Metroid on the Snes Mini I'm addicted to the series a little at the moment.

I finished Zero Mission yesterday (which was great) and I'm playing Metroid Prime through my PC now. The game has aged incredibly well and looks even better in 1080p :drool:

The game itself is also much better than I remember it being when I was younger.

Anyway, Metroid... discuss.

elnorte

Freaky fly day
Playing the first one on my NES Mini currently. Tough game and have no idea where I'm supposed to going!

Synco

Lucio's #1 Fan
I've only ever played the old Game Boy version. I have read it's considered weak compared to the original game, but the free movement in that large world and greenish b/w graphics made for a special, desolate atmosphere.

Redlambs

Creator of the Caftards comics
Officially the best poker player on RAWK.
Metroid Prime games are brilliant and still stand up with the best shooters for me.

I loved the fact they diversified the series, though we should have still got 2D version alongside, that was the problem for those who just couldn't move forward. Luckily enough, we got the 3DS and the last one which was amazing.

A great series that hopefully more people can try now with both the Snes mini and Switch :)

Since revisiting Super Metroid on the Snes Mini I'm addicted to the series a little at the moment.

I finished Zero Mission yesterday (which was great) and I'm playing Metroid Prime through my PC now. The game has aged incredibly well and looks even better in 1080p :drool:

The game itself is also much better than I remember it being when I was younger.

Anyway, Metroid... discuss.
Good call. A lot of the GCN games stand up to date, that machine and it's texture stages really were miles ahead of what both the PS2 and XBox could muster at the time. That's why those games often still look decent enough on modern tvs (Rogue Squadron anyone? If you haven't, get on them).

Run most GCN games through an emulator on PC and the strengths of what could be really shine.

Woodzy

Why wasnt there a Metroid on the Wii consoles? Last one I remember was on Gamecube
There was Metroid Prime 3' which I thought I had never played but actually saw it in my Wii game collection and it's confusing the hell out of me because I'm convinced I never played a Prime 2 or 3.

There's also Trilogy, which is what I'm playing now. Prime works great with the motion controls. The gameplay is so simple but still incredibly fun at the same time.

Oh my God a Metroid thread :drool:
I did a search before I posted and there were only two Metroid threads - one was full of pictures of Asian women and the other was about that really bad Metroid game on the Wii that no one acknowledges. I thought it's best start a new one, especially with Prime 4 on the horizon...

Olly Gunnar Solskjær

Marxist bacon-hating kebab-dodging Tinder rascal
Scout
I did a search before I posted and there were only two Metroid threads - one was full of pictures of Asian women and the other was about that really bad Metroid game on the Wii that no one acknowledges. I thought it's best start a new one, especially with Prime 4 on the horizon...
I'll always welcome threads for classic game series :drool:

You gonna play the NES original? It feels like a bit of a step back playing it after the later ones, but it's still got a great atmosphere and is fun to play.

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
One of my favourite series of games. With the exception of Other M, which I didn't enjoy very much, I think they keep improving with every new game. The move to 3D with the Prime series was done fantastically and the modern side-scrollers are among my favourite gaming experiences (Fusion, Zero Mission). The old ones are beasts of course.

The soundtrack is on another level too and Samus (original and Zero Suit) is my favourite character on Smash Bros.

Woodzy

I'll always welcome threads for classic game series :drool:

You gonna play the NES original? It feels like a bit of a step back playing it after the later ones, but it's still got a great atmosphere and is fun to play.
I finished Zero Mission this weekend so I wondered if there was any need to play the original? I'm not sure I could handle the step back really.

I wanted to start Prime Trilogy this weekend but had to wait for my USB sensor bar to arrive to use it on PC. While I waited started playing Fusion on Saturday morning and it seemed really enjoyable, especially the concept of being hunted down by SA-X.

I'm giving Prime 1 priority for now but I'm definitely going to go back to Fusion to mix things up before Prime 2.

As far as the story goes I have no idea at all what the correct order would be :lol:

There's a fan remake of Metroid 2 on PC which is meant to be great, but it's hard to find now.

Olly Gunnar Solskjær

Scout
I finished Zero Mission this weekend so I wondered if there was any need to play the original? I'm not sure I could handle the step back really.
Yeah I guess not, I'm just a sucker for 8-bit graphics :D

I have no idea about the story order either, I don't know if it matters really tbh.

There's a fan remake of Metroid 2 on PC which is meant to be great, but it's hard to find now.
/r/am2r

esmufc07

Brad
Scout
Replayed Super Metroid a couple of weeks ago....one of my favourite games of all time. Just fantastic. The atmosphere it builds is incredible.

Metroid Prime was excellent but I'm ashamed to say I never got around to playing 2 and 3. Got the Trilogy so gonna play through them once I've done Zelda. Also need to pick up Samus Returns for the 3DS at some point aswell.

Metroid Prime 4 will be incredible.

esmufc07

Brad
Scout
I'll always remember my first playthrough of Super Metroid and panicking like feck when Mother Brain was kicking my ass. Then came the Metroid to save the day and sacrifice itself :(

Woodzy

I think they would strike gold if they released the Prime Trilogy on Switch and somehow removed the motion controls while keeping the free aim.

I'm still in awe of how well Prime is holding up. Just got to Phendrana Drifts and it looks amazing.

Redlambs

Creator of the Caftards comics
Officially the best poker player on RAWK.
I think they would strike gold if they released the Prime Trilogy on Switch and somehow removed the motion controls while keeping the free aim.

I'm still in awe of how well Prime is holding up. Just got to Phendrana Drifts and it looks amazing.
That reminds me, I still need to properly play 3. I have the Wii-U set up again in the bedroom (just smashed through RE4 :drool:) and discovered I have an unopened Monster Hunter Tri to play too. Now I want to start the Prime trilogy all over again :lol:

Woodzy

Just got the Super Missiles. Feels like I'm flying through it at the moments, but thank God I have another two games to go :drool:

My only criticism is the bosses so far have been underwhelming, but I guess Flagahahahraha has been the only actual proper boss to this point?

I'm trying to think back to how far into the game I got in my teens and I'm pretty sure it was around this point, although I'm sure I remember a really scary bit with lots of Metroids escaped from tanks.

Spoony

The People's President
I've started playing Super Metroid again, on a SNES mini and it's still every bit as good as it was 25 years ago. The other games have dated but yeah this is still the tits.

Snowjoe

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Staff
Supports
Cheltenham Town
I've started playing Super Metroid again, on a SNES mini and it's still every bit as good as it was 25 years ago. The other games have dated but yeah this is still the tits.
How is the SNES mini? I’m very tempted.

esmufc07

Brad
Scout
Just completed Super Metroid (again). What a timeless game.

Is Samus Returns returns for 3DS any good? And why do Nintendo games never reduce in price :lol:

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
No Retrograming thread? A lot of SNES games aged very well (Lost Vikings II, almost every platform and RPG game) and Metroid is no exception. There's something magical on 16 bit graphics, because despite their lack of definition, the way the game designers use them gave a lot of space for imagination.

Olly Gunnar Solskjær

Scout
Just completed Super Metroid (again). What a timeless game.

Is Samus Returns returns for 3DS any good? And why do Nintendo games never reduce in price :lol:
I was going to replay Super Metroid a couple of weeks ago when I remembered it's on the Switch. Must remember to, it's amazing :drool:

No Retrograming thread? A lot of SNES games aged very well (Lost Vikings II, almost every platform and RPG game) and Metroid is no exception. There's something magical on 16 bit graphics, because despite their lack of definition, the way the game designers use them gave a lot of space for imagination.
There's a retro gaming thread and a SNES thread :D

SNES is my favourite console, just so many great games.

Last edited:

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
I was going to replay Super Metroid a couple of weeks ago when I remembered it's on the Switch. Must remember to, it's amazing :drool:

There's a retro gaming thread and a SNES thread :D

SNES is my favourite conssole, just so many great games.
I owned a SNES console and it was glorious. Bought it on second hand + 15 cartridges to a spoiled rich kid who sold it on a low price when SNES was at the top of its heights simply because he basically only played Sega Mega Drive since it had more titles and a better marketing strategy here in Portugal (yes, he was one of those guys who had all the consoles / PCs).

Spent thousands of hours playing International Superstar Soccer Deluxe, SF2 Turbo, Super Mario games, Chrono Trigger, etc, etc, etc.

padr81

Supports
Man City
Super metroid probably has the best level design in game history. Amazingly well designed game for its time.

syrian_scholes

Honorary Straw Hat
Apparently it's going to be remade. Will look great on the Switch.
1st- Where did you get this from? 2nd the remake is the 3DS game, 3rd there will probably be a new Metroid game next year rather than a remake.

Olly Gunnar Solskjær

Scout