Music MF DOOM (Rest in peace)

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
He has to be one of the top 5 semi-undreground rappers of all time and arguably the best.

His patented 4 line rhyme scheme of witty, puzzling and sometimes funny lyrics makes him one of the sharpest MCs in the world. The persona as well lends to the mysterious aura he's created around himself.

Furthermore, he's an accomplished producer sampling some of the best gems from 70s and 80s music.

I'll go with the popular choice and say that MADVILLAINY is his best work. Operation:Doomsday and MM...Food being tied however the latter does get a bit annoying with the skits.

Beef rap for me is the perfect encapsulation of DOOM as rapper

I can understand why people dislike him, he hasn't got the most exciting flow and his lyrics can be slightly cryptic too. Moreover he doesn't make songs to nod you head too. But he stands out among rappers and that's one of the reasons he's great.

DoomSlayer

Highly respect his craft. Not one of my favourites, but having such a unique style is always worthy of being appreciated.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Mm...food is good but agree the skits get annoying. Hard to listen to as an album really. Love Madvillainy though.

Eckers99

Michael Corleone says hello
Madvillainy is as good as hip-hop gets imo.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
Big fan, love his bizarre lyricism and his jagged production style. I've been listening to the Metal Fingers collections a lot whilst working from home. nice and non-distracting.

I agree about the skits on Mm Food, that's a trend in hip hop that just hasn't aged well. I can do without all the Aqua Teen Hunger Force stuff on The Mouse and the Mask too.

Czarface meets Metalface is probably my favourite thing he's been involved in (though it helps that I'm big into Czarface too). Born Like This is largely underrated too. Some great Dilla beats on there, but I wish he'd distance himself from "Batty Boyz". What a horrible track.

binary bot
Ever get those random lines that always get stuck in your head...the DB cooper one in hoe cakes is my most frequent

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
Holy shit, no way!

fecking hell. I know everyone says this when an artist dies, but I genuinely was listening to Czarface/Doom album whilst making dinner a couple of hours ago. Love that album Fuuuuu.

2cents

Historiographer, and obtainer of rare antiquities
Scout
Crazy, just heard this. So random.

Pink Moon

Supports
Celtic
I'm stunned. Was listening to Madvillainy a few hours ago. No fecking way :(

RIP to an absolute legend.

hubbuh

Can't believe it. MF DOOM was one of those that felt like he'd exist forever, sort of like Fergie. In some ways he will I suppose.. rest in peace to one of the best ever. I was listening to 'Can I Watch?' with Apani B on the way to work a few days ago and I couldn't stop smiling at the bars. God bless DOOM and feck off 2020

dumbo

Don't Just Fly…Soar!
Scout
Had heard he wasn't well for a long time. Was playing Cookin' Soul's DOOM XMAS last week. A great.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
Had heard he wasn't well for a long time. Was playing Cookin' Soul's DOOM XMAS last week. A great.
His son died a couple of years ago too, but I never heard what he died of, I think he was only 13. There was a recent interview with DOOM on Youtube where he didn't sound too sharp, seemed like he struggled to talk, and breathe. Very sad.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
On Doomsday!, ever since the womb ‘til I'm back where my brother went, that's what my tomb will say
Right above my government; Dumile
Either unmarked or engraved, hey, who's to say?

Dante

Average bang
WTF?!? I was only listening to Born Like This earlier today.

The best MC of all time for rhyme structure. A bone fide genius of his craft.

RIP

Roosney

RIP DOOM!
Always been a sucker for multisyllable rhymes so needless to say I loved his bars Also the skits were brilliant.

Silas

Couldn't believe it when I saw it. Still can't. :(
RIP DOOM, Vaughn, Geedorah...

Can't imagine what his wife's going through. Lost their son only a couple years back.

Last edited:

hubbuh

Can I ask where you heard this? I knew his son had unfortunately passed but I wasn't aware DOOM was unwell.