Michael Carrick - Middlesbrough Manager

JB08

Searches for nude pics of Marcos Rojo
While that's obviously very good and nice to see, he has to make it count. Otherwise it will be dismissed as a purple patch and forgotten.

They are favourites to win the cup and have decent shots at the EL and the league, they should get at least one this season.
Yes, I agree.

MegadrivePerson

All those ex-players from the same generation as Carrick should have stayed in the lower divisions.

Best place to learn.
Agree.

The biggest mistake ex players make is by going after jobs that are far too big at the start of their managerial career. If they started at a lower level with less of the spotlight on them they'd be able to learn a lot more about what it takes to actually be a manager and build up some real experience.

Nani Nana

Supports
Whoever won the game
Quite lucky yesterday but the early signs of a promising manager are there.

Lee565

Very impressive displays against villa and Chelsea in the space of a week.

A team like Brighton would be good next step for him in the future

SalfordRed18

Netflix and avocado, no chill
Supports
Ashwood City FC
He's also made the Villa squad who, with only a handful of editions, are challenging for the league title, look like relegation battlers. Gerrard is a dreadful manager. It was clear to me, even just from the short stint as caretaker here, that Carrick has the presence and intelligence to be a good manager, whereas Gerrard has the emotional intelligence of a slighted Phil Collins fan after a 12 day bender.
That's less to do with Gerrard and more to do with unai emery. Give credit where it's due.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
That's less to do with Gerrard and more to do with unai emery. Give credit where it's due.
I think Gerrard's awful, uninspiring personality is everything to do with him tbf. How's he doing at "Al-Ettifakkhi"?

Zed is not dead

Wait, I thought he was a mediocre PE teacher at best and that him and McKenna were responsible for lowering the standards of coaching at Carrington

Redivy

Does this statement even hold under scrutiny .
Why not? Carrick has been a manager for a little over a year, and was a first team coach for 2 years before that. He has minimal managerial experience and it can be seen as almost lucky that he was able to get a championship job straight from the jump. Nevertheless, we've seen plenty of player-turned-managers like Lampard have promising spells in the Championship and then lose their momentum by making the jump up too quickly.

It might not be a move to a lower premier league side after, it could be a German or Spanish club, but he needs plenty more experience before he should get close to a bigger club.

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Carrick is everything the media wanted Gerrard and Lampard to be.

gajender

Why not? Carrick has been a manager for a little over a year, and was a first team coach for 2 years before that. He has minimal managerial experience and it can be seen as almost lucky that he was able to get a championship job straight from the jump. Nevertheless, we've seen plenty of player-turned-managers like Lampard have promising spells in the Championship and then lose their momentum by making the jump up too quickly.

It might not be a move to a lower premier league side after, it could be a German or Spanish club, but he needs plenty more experience before he should get close to a bigger club.
And how many managers who struggled at top Clubs despite having all the experience in the world at lower stature clubs ?

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Wait, I thought he was a mediocre PE teacher at best and that him and McKenna were responsible for lowering the standards of coaching at Carrington
Which makes you really wonder. If Carrick and Mckenna did the tactics and coaching while Matic did the discipline then what the hell did Ole do? Recruitment? Smiling at the cameras? Serving coffee to Sancho?

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Really do think he will be end up here eventually. He’s showing himself to be a really good manager dealing with difficult circumstances at Middlesbrough and imposing a good style of play. Feels like exactly the sort of manager Ratcliffe would eventually love to have in charge of us.
Isn’t McKenna doing just as well if not better? It takes a lot to be Manchester United. Hopefully one them proves to be a great manager.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
He needs to keep on going, to manage bigger clubs than the previous one over time. Once he's managed at least a club aspiring to be a top 4 and succeeded at it, only then can we talk about him becoming United manager. Let him grow into the role naturally, not from 'hurr duurrrr United way les go man'.

Amir

We'll have to wait and see about that. Both Gerrard (In Scotland) and Lampard (With Derby) did well in their first stints.

Also, over the years I've seen plenty of young managers do well in the Championship, get promoted, be heralded as the next big thing and not really build on that. Paul Jewell, Phil Brown, etc.

Alex99

Rehab's Pete Doherty
We'll have to wait and see about that. Both Gerrard (In Scotland) and Lampard (With Derby) did well in their first stints.

Also, over the years I've seen plenty of young managers do well in the Championship, get promoted, be heralded as the next big thing and not really build on that. Paul Jewell, Phil Brown, etc.
Lampard didn't do anything that Gary Rowett hadn't done literally the season before.

Even Gerrard won with one of the only two clubs that ever win in Scotland.

Agree that Carrick needs to prove himself over a longer period though.

AneRu

Back in the day there was an argument where some thought Giggs could walk in and others, myself included, wanted him to prove himself elsewhere first. Then I think it was only Pep that had succeeded in his first job then Zidane did it and Ole, to a lesser extent, almost pulled it off.

I now believe that in some instances, not all, former players who understand the internal dynamics and who possess the coaching talent, mettle and get support from their club can succeed. The key issue is they would have access to more resources but through knowing the club they are one step ahead and those two factors could neutralize their drawbacks.

Carrick is talented, pragmatic and knows the club. With a proper recruitment structure behind him you don't know what he could achieve. Previous success elsewhere is no guarantee of success, we have seen that here. I think there intangible nuances that we just don't see because they are based on the character of an individual, for example ETH is a good coach but his stubbornness/arrogance and naivety could be costing him this season.

CL, PL and other major league wins are fine but I am more concerned with style, tactical adaptability, in-game and man management because of you build a squad strong and deep enough any manager with the above can compete.

BAMSOLA

Has issues!
Supports
A Crack Habit.
And this type of opinion is exactly what needs to be avoided for the time being as it's currently complete nonsense. Carrick has less than two whole seasons of management under his belt, at this stage of his career Lampard was still a highly rated coach with a career that looked highly promising based on how his Derby county side were playing in the championship, in other words his career closely resembled that of Carrick's at the current stage, and we all know where Lampard's career currently sits.

Nobody know precisely where Carrick's managerial career will end up, because at this stage the sample size is too small.

Kostov

Too early to tell, but feck me I'd be over the moon if he eventually becomes good enough to come back and manage this club. An absolute top top player and obviously talented manager, which some would say is expected but still, lots of hyped up ex midfielder failed to do the step up, Carrick might turn out to be the one.

Vault Dweller

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
I adore Carrick. Fantastic player in his day, clearly a very good coach, hope he keeps going and love him back here one day. Read his book and just made me like him even more.

iHicksy

Which makes you really wonder. If Carrick and Mckenna did the tactics and coaching while Matic did the discipline then what the hell did Ole do? Recruitment? Smiling at the cameras? Serving coffee to Sancho?
Wasn't there a pretty solid leak that said Ole would actually overwrite the tactics and playstyle that Carrick and Mckenna were trying/wanted to implement in training?

Sounds...very strange, but it would explain why we looked so poor and why Carrick suddenly changed the setup in his 3 games and we looked a different team.

" Manchester United first-team coaches Michael Carrick and Kieran McKenna were keen for the Red Devils to adopt a different style of play, but their suggestion was dismissed by former manager Ole Gunnar Solskjaer, it has been reported. "

devilish

Wasn't there a pretty solid leak that said Ole would actually overwrite the tactics and playstyle that Carrick and Mckenna were trying/wanted to implement in training?

Sounds...very strange, but it would explain why we looked so poor and why Carrick suddenly changed the setup in his 3 games and we looked a different team.

" Manchester United first-team coaches Michael Carrick and Kieran McKenna were keen for the Red Devils to adopt a different style of play, but their suggestion was dismissed by former manager Ole Gunnar Solskjaer, it has been reported. "
Oh so that's what Ole was doing. Thanks mate.

whitbyviking

And this type of opinion is exactly what needs to be avoided for the time being as it's currently complete nonsense. Carrick has less than two whole seasons of management under his belt, at this stage of his career Lampard was still a highly rated coach with a career that looked highly promising based on how his Derby county side were playing in the championship, in other words his career closely resembled that of Carrick's at the current stage, and we all know where Lampard's career currently sits.

Nobody know precisely where Carrick's managerial career will end up, because at this stage the sample size is too small.
Lampard spent a fortune at Derby and brought in a few expensive loans/signings (including Ashley Cole and Mason Mount), the club is still feeling the effects of that and their current financial woes were blown up by that. It's not comparable to Carrick who has had woeful support in the transfer market, including the club selling/returning loan players that contributed over 60 combined goals = assists. He's on the cusp of the playoffs this season too despite that squad turnover, and having 12 players, now 14 after Chelsea, injured. He's also got Middlesbrough scoring goals, which they have never done except for the seasons they had Ravanelli/Juninho or Hasselbaink/Viduka/Yakubu. Lampard did well, but was heavily backed. Carrick is doing well, despite being hamstrung.

As for Gerard, Rangers winning the league was a surprise at the time, but the only other challenger were in turmoil and had an off season. Still, winning the league was a great achievement, but many people credit his assistant and not him, which judging on the performance at Villa and now in Saudi, may actually be fair. He finished below where Dean Smith managed at Villa despite being backed in the transfer market. Again, it's not comparable to Middlesbrough, he's been backed heavily in the transfer market for his achievements.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Nothing. He didn't even want to confront players. Just wanted to be their mate.

devilish

I hate the word but it seems Ole was really just there for the "vibes"
I don't want to derail this thread but its here were a good DOF should step in. If Mckenna and Carrick had good ideas then why not giving them the job as interim first instead of first insisting on Ole and then bringing in Rangnick? There are times when the assistant is actually as good if not better then the manager. Take for example Capello who was second to Liedholm, Mourinho who worked under Robson and Pep Guardiola who worked under Rijkaard.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Back in the day there was an argument where some thought Giggs could walk in and others, myself included, wanted him to prove himself elsewhere first. Then I think it was only Pep that had succeeded in his first job then Zidane did it and Ole, to a lesser extent, almost pulled it off.
:lol:
What did Ole almost pull off?

Amir

Lampard didn't do anything that Gary Rowett hadn't done literally the season before.

Even Gerrard won with one of the only two clubs that ever win in Scotland.
The Rangers that Gerrard took over wasn't quite the Rangers of yesteryear. He did well there and Villa didn't go for him by chance. I didn't see Rowett's Derby, but Lampard had them playing good football.

At the moment, Carrick hasn't really done more than Lampard did.

AneRu

:lol:
What did Ole almost pull off?
Success at United, a 3rd and 2nd place finish in addition to a European final can not be sniffed at. He did well, just couldnt take the step forward and properly challenge.

Berbaclass

Fallen Muppet. Lest we never forget
Feel for him. He's been one of their best players I think.

He needs to get to a club where he can actually build something without it getting sold off.

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
Never heard of him but only 2 goals and 5 assists in 25 games? How important is he to them?
Looking at his stats it seems like he became slowly more important - did only get a few minutes most matches early in the season but lately started all matches. 1 goal and 3 assists in the last 6 looks like a clear uptick in productivity.

Berbaclass

Fallen Muppet. Lest we never forget
Never heard of him but only 2 goals and 5 assists in 25 games? How important is he to them?
Last month or two since he started playing in his proper position (a 10) he's become one of if not their most important attackers.