Michael Carrick - Middlesbrough Manager

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Best of luck to him. Top bloke.

Stobzilla

Official Team Perv
My mind immediately turns to who we could possibly loan to them, Mengi has done alright at that level before, Shoretire seemed to be well thought of amongst Ole and his staff as well.

GodShaveTheQueen

We mean it man, we love our queen!
Have no trust in anyone that has coached United in the last decade. Good luck to him though

RedPed

Whatabouter.
So all that means is we draw Boro in one of the cup comps.

philnguyen1994

The Boro squad doesn't look too bad on paper. Some familiar names that played in Premier League: Jonny Howson, Zack Steffen & our very own Paddy McNair. Definitely better than their current position of 22nd.

With a couple of loans from us in January (Charlie Savage perhaps?), I think Carrick should be able to steer them well clear of the relegation zone this season and aim for the play-offs next season.

Just purchased their Boro Live Video Package (their version of iFollow) for the season. Will be watching their matches (I have access to all matches thanks to being overseas) and reporting on his progress over there. His first game in charge looks to be at home against Huddersfield on Saturday, quite winnable despite the short time he'll have with the squad.

Reactions: golden_blunder

whitbyviking

Being from Middlesbrough originally I have been to my fair share of matches (Ayresome Park era when it was £3 to get in), and follow them reasonably closely.

This season they have the bones of a good team, but for whatever reason they are not performing.The midfield is ponderous and they commit many individual mistakes at the back. They also love to concede a late goal. Up front it hasn't clicked either, but the supply can be good from Giles and Jones in particular.

For loanees I would suggest they need a centre back, centre midfield and possibly a winger to supplement the two relatively good ones they have. Sending them a fringe forward could be mutually beneficial too.

Interesting to see how Carrick does, Wilder was very highly rated but it just hasn't worked out and the team stopped playing for him. The squad should definitely challenge for the playoffs, at least on paper, and it wouldn't surprise me to see there be a huge "new manager" leap from them. Basically they should achieve this just by playing for the new coach, after they seemingly gave up for Wilder.

For all the praise Steve Gibson rightly gets for supporting his hometown club, there is a feeling the backroom staff are weak, riddled with "jobs for the boys" and generally not great for what they are employed to do. Will be very interesting to see how that proceeds too.

Reactions: Invictus

Idxomer

It would be great if he turns out to be a successful manager.

Red_toad

Hope he does well there, fans will turn on him quickly as he’s from Wallsend, if things don’t go well.

GMoore23

Not sure he's charismatic enough to be a top manager. He's about as inspiring as a tree.

philnguyen1994

Finally the official announcement on Boro's website ...
Michael Carrick Appointed Boro Head Coach

The club is delighted to announce the appointment of Michael Carrick as Head Coach.

Michael brings a wealth of experience to the club having spent 12 years as a player at Manchester United before coaching and caretaker managing the Old Trafford club.

The 41-year-old, one of the most decorated English players of all-time, joined Manchester United’s coaching staff in 2018 following his retirement as a player.

He worked with Jose Mourinho and Ole Gunnar Solskjaer before being asked to take on the number one job on a caretaker basis. The 41-year-old’s three games at the helm produced wins against Villareal and Arsenal, and a draw at Chelsea.

“We’re delighted to welcome Michael to the club,” said Middlesbrough chairman Steve Gibson.

“We had identified a number of potentials for the vacancy who we spoke with, and were impressed by all, but Michael was the outstanding candidate.

“Michael has the same values as the club, and we are very much aligned in our ambitions.

“We see Michael as the perfect fit for us and he believes this is the right club at the right time.”

The former England international is a five-time Premier League winner and also won the Champions League and Europa League while at Old Trafford.

“I’m really excited to be here and to be part of a club with such a deep history and tradition,” said Carrick.

"Middlesbrough was the first professional club I played for as a nine-year old boy, so it’s a very special feeling to be back here as a head coach.

"Growing up in the north-east myself I’m fully aware of what football means to people. It’s a real privilege for me to be in this position and to feel all the passion and enthusiasm you’ve got for the game and for Boro.

"I’ll give everything to help develop the team and keep moving the club forward and make you the supporters proud.

"I can’t wait to get started.”

Michael will be joined by Jonathan Woodgate as First Team Coach with a further appointment expected.

Woodgate was previously the club’s head coach after cutting his teeth with the Under-18s and he also guided AFC Bournemouth to the Championship play-offs in 2021.

The club would like to place on record its thanks to Leo Percovich and the staff who worked with him and supported him during the interim period. Leo will now become the club’s Head of Player Pathway and Development.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Hope he does well. McKenna has started off really well at Ipswich so they were clearly both decent coaches.

CM

Best of luck to him. Likeable guy, hope he gets the success he deserves.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Carrick being a better manager than his English midfield contemporaries would be so good. Just like how he was a better player

bringbackbebe

Surprising. Always imagined him getting a PL job to start with after his stints with Mourinho & Ole. Dropping a level to build his profile is probably good for him since it relives a lot of pressure. Best of luck to him!

philnguyen1994

Good luck to him.

Isn't he a bit too "quiet"/shy to be a manager?
By that logic, our other famous number 16, Roy Keane, would have become a better manager than Pep and Klopp. Football has moved on I think. Professional players probably react better to calm one-on-one chats than all the screaming and shouting.

Besides, in Carrick's caretaker stint, he was no pushover at all. Dropped Bruno in his first game then dropped Ronaldo in the next. He may come across as ' just a nice guy' but apparently gave Boro a proper hard time with his demands for backroom staff and control over future transfers.

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Good luck to him. We could help him out in January and send some decent youngsters on loan to him.