Michael Carrick - Middlesbrough Manager

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Hope he does well. McKenna has started off really well at Ipswich so they were clearly both decent coaches.
And they both got most of the blame for our downfall. They would of only done what Solskjær asked them to.

Rhyme Animal

Thinks Di Zerbi is better than Pep.
Do they? Ole was absolute wank, and I only blame him.

Best of luck to him at Boro.
Ole was given a RIDICULOUS amount of leeway, which did include a lot more focus on the assistant coaches than is normal.

When Tuchel or Gerrard were sacked, I didn’t ever hear so much as the names of their assistants… I literally have no idea who they even are.

Robbie Boy

Ole was given a RIDICULOUS amount of leeway, which did include a lot more focus on the assistant coaches than is normal.

When Tuchel or Gerrard were sacked, I didn’t ever hear so much as the names of their assistants… I literally have no idea who they even are.
Yeah, I guess there was a crazy amount of mental gymnastics to try to defend him!

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Yeah, I guess there was a crazy amount of mental gymnastics to try to defend him!
That's only half the story. People who didn't rate ole also had weird hatred for McKenna and Carrick, as if they knew how to rate coaching staff.

It was always dumb conversation discussing coaches as none of the posters attend training sessions and it's not as if they know how good or bad training session was even if they attend one.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
Surprising. Always imagined him getting a PL job to start with after his stints with Mourinho & Ole. Dropping a level to build his profile is probably good for him since it relives a lot of pressure. Best of luck to him!
I’m the opposite, I think he’s done well to get a club like Middlesbrough, especially as his first job in management. He’s basically got the job on the strength of his playing career and a 2 game caretaker spell. Lampard had to make do with Derby.

Revaulx

Good luck to him.

Isn't he a bit too "quiet"/shy to be a manager?
I wondered this when he was given the caretaker gig, but thought he came across with a quiet authority and showed he wasn’t afraid to make big decisions.

I’m not by any means sure he’ll be a success, but I don’t think he’ll fail because of his personality or demeanour.

Carrick being a better manager than his English midfield contemporaries would be so good. Just like how he was a better player
:drool:

CallyRed

Looking forward to him announcing big Mike Phelan as his second assistant.

Robbie Boy

That's only half the story. People who didn't rate ole also had weird hatred for McKenna and Carrick, as if they knew how to rate coaching staff.

It was always dumb conversation discussing coaches as none of the posters attend training sessions and it's not as if they know how good or bad training session was even if they attend one.
I always find it odd when people don't rate coaching staff. We literally have zero idea of their input.

Rhyme Animal

Thinks Di Zerbi is better than Pep.

I always find it odd when people don't rate coaching staff. We literally have zero idea of their input.
I think the issue here lads was that Utd were forcing them as assistants onto new managers when they came in!

Both Carrick and McKenna were mainstays through multiple failed regimes and would just keep their jobs as new managers came in.

It was, of course, part of the Woodward era, so as with many things around that time, it was odd, crap and made little sense.

philnguyen1994

Both Carrick and McKenna were mainstays through multiple failed regimes and would just keep their jobs as new managers came in.
I've heard that being repeated by the likes of Goldbridge too but that's just plainly wrong. Carrick and McKenna only got promoted to first-team coaches by Mourinho for the 18-19 season. They barely had any time working with Mourinho before the latter imploded and was gone by Christmas, obviously not their fault. Ole came in initially as an interim manager so of course he ended up working with the existing coaches. They obviously worked well together so stayed together. Carrick and McKenna were then both gone from the club within a month of Ole's sacking and never worked with Rangnick.

For all the Utd fans calling them bad coaches without knowing what happens on the training ground, they must be highly rated by the footballing world to get a top League 1 club and a midtable Championship club as their first managerial jobs.

Last edited:
Reactions: roonster09

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
I've heard that being repeated by the likes of Goldbridge too but that's just plainly wrong. Carrick and McKenna only got promoted to first-team coaches by Mourinho for the 18-19 season. They barely had any time working with Mourinho before the latter imploded and was gone by Christmas, obviously not their fault. Ole came in initially as an interim manager so of course he ended up working with the existing coaches. They obviously worked well together so stayed together. Carrick and McKenna were then both gone from the club within a month of Ole's sacking and never worked with Rangnick.

For all the Utd fans calling them bad coaches without knowing what happens on the training ground, they must be highly rated by the footballing world to get a top League 1 club and a midtable Championship club as their first managerial jobs.
What a surprise, dude is clueless and just posts shit to get reaction.

Good post btw, Carrick and McKenna barely worked under Jose and no one has a clue on how good or bad they are.

Red the Bear

Something less generic

Good post and while I don't disagree that's not saying much, a lot of clubs just go for the big shiny names even the said shiny name has no business managing a club, just look at how persistent some names are when they pop up again and again after several failures in a row.

Vault Dweller

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020

Good post.

On Carrick, adored him as a player and really like him, his book was great too. Sincerely hope he does brilliantly at Boro.

Tom Van Persie

No relation

Well said.

Good luck to Carrick. As I've said before I think he will be a good manager.

Bert_

Armchair coaches like him have a ridiculous amount of influence on our online fan base unfortunately which then ends up seeping into the opinions of people that have never even watched a youtube fan channel. When was the last time any fan base attacked their clubs assistant coaches with such vitriol? Especially when one of them was an ex-player that didn't set a foot wrong whilst playing for us!

Anyway, Carrick always came across as someone who had a deep understanding of the game and hopefully that will translate into good managerial career for him.

philnguyen1994

Good post and while I don't disagree that's not saying much, a lot of clubs just go for the big shiny names even the said shiny name has no business managing a club, just look at how persistent some names are when they pop up again and again after several failures in a row.
McKenna isn't a shiny name at all though - he didn't even play professional football. Carrick played for Utd for a long time but due to his position and personality, isn't all that shiny either, compared to the likes of Rooney, Lampard and Gerrard. To be fair though, Carrick does have this going for him (source is Craig Johns who according to Boro fans is basically the mouthpiece for their chairman):
Due diligence on Carrick was relatively straight forward too. Ex-Boro managers Gareth Southgate and Bryan Robson were able to provide positive references on the 41-year-old, while through a third party they got the seal of approval from Ole Gunnar Solskjaer too, who Carrick served as assistant coach to at Old Trafford.

A little more unexpected was the phone call Gibson received from Carrick's former Manchester United manager. Gibson answered his phone to Sir Alex Ferguson on the other end of the line insisting if Carrick wanted the job he'd be silly to give it to anyone but his former midfield stalwart.
That's a bit much from SAF if I'm being honest. I wonder if SAF sees Carrick and Rooney as his last chance to see one of his disciples become a world-class manager. Queiroz, Phelan, Rene, Neville, Keane, Giggs & Scholes all let him down in that department. It's a bit sad if Steve Bruce remains the most successful manager who played for the greatest manager of all time ...

Last edited:
Reactions: mazhar13

Herman Toothrot

Love Carrick. He conducted himself very, very well in his brief spell as caretaker. If you look back now, his handling of the press, in particular the Ronaldo question, wasn't dissimilar to Ten Hag. It was sad to see him leave as a coach, along with McKenna, he was highly rated by people who know more than me and it would have been nice to swerve the Chris Armas era. That said, good to get a break and make a name for yourself away from United. Hope he's a massive success and is up to taking over from three-times-Champions-League-winner Ten Hag in a few years.

philnguyen1994

I'll be at his first game in charge away at PNE Saturday, be interesting what type of football he opts to instill over the longer term.
Will be watching the game live via Boro's streaming service myself.

On the type of football, I was a bit disappointed at one of his answers towards the end of his unveiling press conference. A journalist asked him about his football philosophy, and he just shrugged and said "People going on about football philosophies wind me up a bit tbh, we just want to win!". Very Ole-esque. Almost a slight dig at Rangnick and ten Hag even.

Aside from that, the press conference was well received by Boro fans though. Wilder was apparently quite arrogant so they appreciated Carrick's humble demeanor.

pascell

On the type of football, I was a bit disappointed at one of his answers towards the end of his unveiling press conference. A journalist asked him about his football philosophy, and he just shrugged and said "People going on about football philosophies wind me up a bit tbh, we just want to win!". Very Ole-esque. Almost a slight dig at Rangnick and ten Hag even.

Aside from that, the press conference was well received by Boro fans though. Wilder was apparently quite arrogant so they appreciated Carrick's humble demeanor.
I think the philosophy comment was probably more towards LvG.

But he's right in a way, of course everyone wants to win, but a manager has to be flexible in his approach to a game. I'm a firm believer that if a manager has one set tactic up his sleeve, he's on a hiding to nothing until he's a world class coach.

philnguyen1994

All the best to him and his team tomorrow at Preston, but this headline made me laugh a bit. No wonder he and Ole got along so well.

philnguyen1994

Unlucky 2-1 loss to Preston away in his first game in charge.

They were a better side I thought, especially in the second half, but were outdone by two terrible moments of defending from free kicks, which were given away by sloppy moments (a Maguire-esque hospital pass and a very soft foul) in the first place.

Carrick set them up well tactically, their defensive shape was actually quite organized in open play and they created some decent chances and should have had a penalty as well. Considering that it's an away game and Preston is 10 places above them on the table, I think Boro fans will be frustrated by the result but once they've calmed down, they will be encouraged by the way Carrick set the team up.

Last edited:

Remember the geese

Unlucky 2-1 loss to Preston away in his first game in charge. They were a better side I thought, especially in the second half, but were outdone by two terrible moments of defending from free kicks, which were given away by sloppy moments in the first place.

Carrick set them up well tactically, their defensive shape was actually quite organized in open play and they created some decent chances and should have a penalty as well. Considering that it's an away game and Preston is 10 places above them on the table, I think Boro fans will be frustrated by the result but encouraged by the way Carrick set the team up.
How did Alvaro Fernandez play?

philnguyen1994

How did Alvaro Fernandez play?
Had a lot of joy in the first half and looked threatening because Carrick's RM Jones didn't bother to help out the defence. I think Carrick had a word with Jones at half-time and Alvaro ended up being quite invisible in the second half.

Remember the geese

Had a lot of joy in the first half and looked threating because Carrick's RM Jones didn't bother to help out the defence. I think Carrick had a word with Jones at half-time and Alvaro ended up being quite invisible in the second half.
Ah, sounds like a decent enough display from him all in all then. Thanks.

Hammondo

McKenna isn't a shiny name at all though - he didn't even play professional football. Carrick played for Utd for a long time but due to his position and personality, isn't all that shiny either, compared to the likes of Rooney, Lampard and Gerrard. To be fair though, Carrick does have this going for him (source is Craig Johns who according to Boro fans is basically the mouthpiece for their chairman):

That's a bit much from SAF if I'm being honest. I wonder if SAF sees Carrick and Rooney as his last chance to see one of his disciples become a world-class manager. Queiroz, Phelan, Rene, Neville, Keane, Giggs & Scholes all let him down in that department. It's a bit sad if Steve Bruce remains the most successful manager who played for the greatest manager of all time ...
Carrick is probably the most intelligent of the bunch though, think he has a decent chance.

Hammondo

Yea that is a worry.

philnguyen1994

3-1 away win at Hull in his second game in charge. Really should have been 4-1, Giles missed an absolute sitter near the end.

It was a nervy watch to be fair. Carrick got their defensive shape organized and Hull didn't have many chances (their goal was deflected) and he allowed the players the freedom to play some nice attacking moves.

However, their players always seem capable of brainfarts at any time (two of Boro's defensive players got booked within the first 5 minutes of the game, a lot of stupid freekicks and corners given away, a lot of passive ball-watching) and their confidence seems very fragile - they played with real swagger when they took the lead but literally couldn't keep hold of the ball for 2 seconds as soon as Hull put pressure on them in the first 15 minutes of the second half. Lucky that they regained the lead (and their confidence) immediately after Hull's goal, otherwise the result might not have been so comfortable. Some good performances overall, but too many of their players are one-trick ponies / confidence players. They managed some nice moves in transition, but lacked the cutting edge in the final third and often needed some luck to score.

Carrick seems a very good tactician so far - defensively organized as a team, freedom to play high-risk passes forward - regroup well if losing the ball. If he can make them cut out the brainfarts, this could be a formula for success. He tried out Akpom as a number 10 and he was arguably MOTM in both matches. He has been strangely reluctant to make subs though in both his games so far, leaving his players knackered and vulnerable near the end of the games. There were two Ole-esque 90th minute subs today. He also played a left winger as left-back (and played a right back who could cover as a CB to make it a back three at times to allow the left back forward) who ended up with a goal and an assist in two games, but was also responsible for two goals conceded - a bit gung-ho for two tough away games.

Last edited:
Reactions: roonster09

philnguyen1994

Boro fans singing his name already after two games. Think they'll be patient with him, seems a lot of their frustration is directed at their recruitment team and chairman anyway.

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Hope he does well with them. Hopefully we can meet them in one of the cups this season at old Trafford.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Hope he does well with them. Hopefully we can meet them in one of the cups this season at old Trafford.
No thanks. We seem to play the same few teams in the cups

Foxbatt

He has done everything to win as a club player. The PL, CL, EL, Fa cup and LC.
So very decorated player who has spent his time mostly with top managers as a player .