Michael Keane| signed to Everton.

Do you want Michael Keane back at United?

• Yes

Votes: 259 43.0%
  • No

Votes: 172 28.6%
  • Undecided

Votes: 171 28.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ashley R1+O

Not really. How many players has mourinho actually played from the academy? You talk as if mourinho plays all youngsters he gets who impressed. Ake Bamford lukaku Bertrand are just 4 youngsters who impressed on loan being at Chelsea but mourinho completely ignored them and kept playing an over the hill Ivanovic Torres etc.
I've not even said anything about Mourinho or what he's doing. You're just drawing that inference due to the fact that I brought up a hypothetical scenario that Keane somehow went on loan last season again, rather than leaving the previous winter and was still at the club at the start of last/this season. Keane wasn't technically "In the academy" though, he was 22 when he left, that is pretty much ready for harvesting in terms of the talent tree.

But I'm not advocating for bringing him back, I'm saying that the stupidity of the situation was LVG essentially getting rid of him for no reason other than he was not needed, which is a ludicrous scenario as he was already at the time a much better prospect than some of the other players at the club at the time. Thorpe/Blackett. Anyway, that is all good the boat has sailed as far as I am concerned, if Mourinho brings him back than that's great for Keane and I think he's a fine player and one that could work for us, always love local lads doing well for the club.

Litch

Smalling was tremendous under LVG but struggled under Jose. Rojo quite the opposite and even Jones had a bit of a purple patch this season before yet another injury. That said, Rojos had his fair share of injuries too during his time here. Keane had a great season but Smalling and Jones in a Burnley shirt would look good. The expectation and pressure that this club exerts and demands on players is the challenge aside from whether your good enough, and in fairness when he had his opportunity here, neither him or the other young defenders took it.

I've not seen anything to suggest he's Utd quality in the starting 11 and the 30m cost to bring him back could contribute to the proven WC CB we need, leaving Smalling, Jones and Rojo as more than capable squad players. Don't forget we also have a young CB that's not yet had his opportunity.

It's easy to question why we let defenders go when we currently have none or forwards go when we can't score.

Thepinhead

Don't think he is anything special really.

I'd rather we wen't for someone else and save ourselves from the embarrasment of resigning someone we sold a few years earlier. Only positive side about signing him is that he has our DNA in him so he probably won't be a huge failure and thereby a low risk purchase

prath92

I've not even said anything about Mourinho or what he's doing. You're just drawing that inference due to the fact that I brought up a hypothetical scenario that Keane somehow went on loan last season again, rather than leaving the previous winter and was still at the club at the start of last/this season. Keane wasn't technically "In the academy" though, he was 22 when he left, that is pretty much ready for harvesting in terms of the talent tree.

But I'm not advocating for bringing him back, I'm saying that the stupidity of the situation was LVG essentially getting rid of him for no reason other than he was not needed, which is a ludicrous scenario as he was already at the time a much better prospect than some of the other players at the club at the time. Thorpe/Blackett. Anyway, that is all good the boat has sailed as far as I am concerned, if Mourinho brings him back than that's great for Keane and I think he's a fine player and one that could work for us, always love local lads doing well for the club.
not at all. i think you are being a bit revisionist here. you make it seem as if keane was already showing promise but still was let go. but thats wrong too. when keane left, not a lot of people batted an eyelid. Even people who watched the reserves and youth teams werent too bothered about it. As for he was a great prospect, there are countless great prospects who have later gone on to be mid to lower level PL at best. Eg: Pearson Rothwell wilson Thorpe etc. were all deemed to be nailed on starters and now most of them are in championship or lower.

https://www.redcafe.net/threads/michael-keane.361033/page-6

the bolded part is confusing. Isnt that what all clubs do? Barca sold Jordi Alba because he wasnt needed as they had the likes of van bronckhorst, abidal and all around that time even if he was a good prospect.

Alabaster Codify7

Not good enough. Essentially Phil Jones level with the ability to stay fit. Which, if we're spending £30m on a new CB, I'd be expecting a marked improvement on Jones/Smalling and therefore a nailed on first team player - not a squad option.

Tiber

I suspect some who roll their eyes at this signing would be all for it if he had a snazzy foreign name and played for Althetico Burnleyo.

A good player, not every signing has to be a foreign megadeal

Robbie Boy

I suspect some who roll their eyes at this signing would be all for it if he had a snazzy foreign name and played for Althetico Burnleyo.

Or, y'know, people have watched quite a-bit of him and don't think he would be any significant improvement on what we have. Is it now a case that anyone that doesn't rate a British player automatically wants some 'foreign' player? This is quite a tedious, juvenile line that gets trotted out without any basis whatsoever.

JustJackTheLad

100% agreed. I live right next to Burnley & every single Burnley fan think/know he will be class. He's too good for them and they openly admit it!

Tiber

Or, y'know, people have watched quite a-bit of him and don't think he would be any significant improvement on what we have. Is it now a case that anyone that doesn't rate a British player automatically wants some 'foreign' player? This is quite a tedious, juvenile line that gets trotted out without any basis whatsoever.
No, I think in some cases its exactly what I said. Someone who is good on football manager or has some random twitter highlight video gets lots of bonus points from some people.

Michael Keane? nah he is just some proven premier league player who seems to be wanted by about 4 of the top 6 sides. What is the point in that when youtube looks so appealing

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
As long as he is happy to be part of the squad then thats fine by me. Rather have him here than Jones for sure.
I worry a bit if he is supposed to be a starter, but tbh, we have had a good defense past 2 seasons without world beater names in the center.

gajender

100% agreed. I live right next to Burnley & every single Burnley fan think/know he will be class. He's too good for them and they openly admit it!
Being too good for Burnley doesn't automatically translate into good enough for United. Without outrightly rejecting his resigning as I haven't followed his progress at Burnley we need to ascertain if he is better than what we have got not just that he is too good for relegation battling team.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Im comfortable with us signing this player as he will probably be a backup player. His signing will allow us to get rid of Jones whose neither good nore reliable

JustJackTheLad

Being too good for Burnley doesn't automatically translate into good enough for United. Without outrightly rejecting his resigning as I haven't followed his progress at Burnley we need to ascertain if he is better than what we have got not just that he is too good for relegation battling team.
OK, well time will tell.

Robbie Boy

No, I think in some cases its exactly what I said. Someone who is good on football manager or has some random twitter highlight video gets lots of bonus points from some people.

Michael Keane? nah he is just some proven premier league player who seems to be wanted by about 4 of the top 6 sides. What is the point in that when youtube looks so appealing
Couldn't agree less with this post if I tried. Do people actually judge players like this, I mean really?

I don't want him because I don't believe he's any significant upgrade on what we have. It's really as simple as that. If we sell Jones or Smalling and get him in as replacement for similar money, then grand yeah. If we are signing one centre back this summer to improve us, I don't want Keane. I've seen plenty of him this season and feel that he's getting to the stage of being overrated. He looks solid yeah but Smalling or Jones would look just as good if either were playing for Burnley.

Not sure who these people are that want 'foreign' players. Surely people want players that will improve the team regardless of what nationality they are.

Cassidy

Im comfortable with us signing this player as he will probably be a backup player. His signing will allow us to get rid of Jones whose neither good nore reliable
Pretty much this

devilish

Pretty much this
Im not an Anglophile. In matter of fact I was sometimes accused to be anti British, which I disagree upon. However I am 100% in favour of this signing

a- It will help us with the homegrown quota rules
b- He will probably accept the bench more then a foreign player would
c- He understand the club's culture and he had already played with some of our players already
d- I don't think he would cost us alot of money either

I hope we will have a CB setup made up of Bailly + a new player with Keane and Smalling as cover. The latter will be suited against the EPL smaller sides who tend to rely on a direct/physical football

Revan

Assumptionman
Im not an Anglophile. In matter of fact I was sometimes accused to be anti British, which I disagree upon. However I am 100% in favour of this signing

a- It will help us with the homegrown quota rules
b- He will probably accept the bench more then a foreign player would
c- He understand the club's culture and he had already played with some of our players already
d- I don't think he would cost us alot of money either

I hope we will have a CB setup made up of Bailly + a new player with Keane and Smalling as cover. The latter will be suited against the EPL smaller sides who tend to rely on a direct/physical football
Totally disagree with (a) and (d). Explained a few times now that homegrown quota is a problem only in some people' minds. In reality, it isn't a problem for us and we are more than fine in that aspect.

The prices mentioned for him have been around 30m, and with that money you can get Gimenez who can become the best CB in the world and is already way better than Keane.

(c) and (d) are spot on, but not enough for us to sign him IMO.

AP88

Supports
Man City
If Mourinho opts to sell Smalling, he could probably generate £25m+, effectively covering the cost of Keane.

Keane is no worse a defender, but is better on the ball, and while Smalling has peaked at 'good' Keane has a few years left to develop, something that could spike under Mourinho at a better club.

It makes sense. I feel him and Bailly would compliment each other well, neutralising each other's flaws.

FujiVice

Might be the only one, but seeing them at their best form this season, Bailly and Keane at the back sounds a wonderful combo. I trust Mourinho whatever he decides for the centre halfs, though. We've been solid this season.

el3mel

He'll be better than Smalling and Jones and that's for sure. Chop one of them out ( I prefer Jones to leave ) and bring him. Will be a very good signing.

We can do with him, Bailly, Rojo and Smalling next season. The season after we may go with a top class defender but our attack is begging us for signing heavily expensive players so a good cheap defender will be good now.

devilish

Totally disagree with (a) and (d). Explained a few times now that homegrown quota is a problem only in some people' minds. In reality, it isn't a problem for us and we are more than fine in that aspect.

The prices mentioned for him have been around 30m, and with that money you can get Gimenez who can become the best CB in the world and is already way better than Keane.

According to an article from the daily star (ok its crap but that's the best article I could find) we had 9 homegrown talent in 2016 which are

Pogba
Schneiderlin
Carrick
Jones
Johnstone
Lingard
Smalling
Rooney
Young

Schneiderlin had already left, there are still question marks whether we're giving Carrick a new contract (in that case it would be a 1 year contract) and I honestly can't see us keep Jones, Rooney, Johnstone and probably Young. That means we're light in terms of homegrown talent.

Regarding fees, Id be very surprised if we're spending 30m on Keane especially if Burnley get relegated and considering that is probably clauses on future fees etc. That means that United will have a cut (or discount) on the fee in question.

I concede that we'll probably be able to sign Gimenez for 30m due to his contract issues + he had a fallout with Simeone. In matter of fact I suspect we'll bid for him too. However in normal circumstances top quality young defenders is worth more then that. Benfica (ie that team who play in that league which made Mangala and Rojo look like world beaters) asked 40m for Lindelof and he's got as much experience in a top league as we do.

So lets speculate a bit shall we? Let assume we spend 60m on Keane and Gimenez. We get a discount on the former (lets say 5-6m?) and because we added 2 CBs we can now sell Jones (10m?) and Rojo (15m?). That means we would have sorted the CB problem for around 29m, which is less then the fee Benfica asked for that defender who is currently dominating the Portuguese league as Rojo once did. To quote some old skint legend of ours that does look value to me.

worldinmotion66

Keane is good and he's going to be very good. I've been singing his praises ever since he partnered Wes Morgan at Leicester while out on loan. Leicester didn't go up that season but they did have the best defensive record in the division. I said not long after that, that he'd one day play for England, and I was astounded when we let him go for such a pathetic fee.

With all that said, he isn't what we need right now. We've already got four good centre halves that defend well. We already have one of the best defensive records in Europe, which will remain even when we inevitably improve the attacking side of our game.

If we're going to buy a centre half this summer - which is certainly practical given that Rojo is out long term and Jones just can't stay fit - then this player needs to be better than what we have. Keane isn't that player. I don't think he'll ever be better than Smalling and Jones (when fit) either.

I know that pretending as if both Smalling and Jones are morons is in, but they're a hell of a lot better than the credit they get. They aren't protected by performing relatively well at a Burnley, or a Southampton. They're held to a much higher standard. Honestly, plonk the pair of them down elsewhere in the league and many of the same people that criticise them (and some of the very same people that would likely want Keane to return) would be full of praise for the dominating performances they would put in at a West Brom, or a Stoke.

I've got lots of time for Keane, like I said. And if he replaced Jones on the basis of fitness then that's kind of understandable. But he isn't better defensively, not a chance. If we're buying defenders then they've got to improve the first team. If not, then what's the point?
I completely agree with this. Keane would be a stop gap but I do think he can reach the level of Smalling/Jones, albeit with different playing traits and physical characteristics.

If we go deep into competitions again next season, we need more reliable centre back options. If we were to lose Bailly, it'd be catastrophic. Keane would help that situation, but I feel that Tuanzebe should be given a chance, and I ultimately feel that Fosu-Mensah will only make it at United as a central defender.

It all really depends if there is any interest in Jones or Smalling imo.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
If Mourinho opts to sell Smalling, he could probably generate £25m+, effectively covering the cost of Keane.

Keane is no worse a defender, but is better on the ball, and while Smalling has peaked at 'good' Keane has a few years left to develop, something that could spike under Mourinho at a better club.

It makes sense. I feel him and Bailly would compliment each other well, neutralising each other's flaws.
Except that Bailly already has a partner in Rojo, who by all accounts Mourinho has been impressed with. And who wouldn't since we've (along with Spurs) had the defense in the league. The question then becomes, how do we maintain and/or improve it. If Keane joined us, he would almost certainly be a backup to Bailly and Rojo and have to deal with competition from one of Jones or Smalling, not to mention whichever youth player of the moment is emerging.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
According to an article from the daily star (ok its crap but that's the best article I could find) we had 9 homegrown talent in 2016 which are

Pogba
Schneiderlin
Carrick
Jones
Johnstone
Lingard
Smalling
Rooney
Young

Schneiderlin had already left, there are still question marks whether we're giving Carrick a new contract (in that case it would be a 1 year contract) and I honestly can't see us keep Jones, Rooney, Johnstone and probably Young. That means we're light in terms of homegrown talent.

Regarding fees, Id be very surprised if we're spending 30m on Keane especially if Burnley get relegated and considering that is probably clauses on future fees etc. That means that United will have a cut (or discount) on the fee in question.

I concede that we'll probably be able to sign Gimenez for 30m due to his contract issues + he had a fallout with Simeone. In matter of fact I suspect we'll bid for him too. However in normal circumstances top quality young defenders is worth more then that. Benfica (ie that team who play in that league which made Mangala and Rojo look like world beaters) asked 40m for Lindelof and he's got as much experience in a top league as we do.

So lets speculate a bit shall we? Let assume we spend 60m on Keane and Gimenez. We get a discount on the former (lets say 5-6m?) and because we added 2 CBs we can now sell Jones (10m?) and Rojo (15m?). That means we would have sorted the CB problem for around 29m, which is less then the fee Benfica asked for that defender who is currently dominating the Portuguese league as Rojo once did. To quote some old skint legend of ours that does look value to me.
We have
Pogba,
Lingard,
At least one of Smalling or Jones,
Young (I think he will stay)
Jonhstone or some 3rd choice GK
Shaw (He was registered this season as he was U21)
Rashford (Same like Shaw)

We aren't really short on Home Grown players quota. We also have played like Fosu Mensah, CBJ who can play without registering.

devilish

We have
Pogba,
Lingard,
At least one of Smalling or Jones,
Young (I think he will stay)
Jonhstone or some 3rd choice GK
Shaw (He was registered this season as he was U21)
Rashford (Same like Shaw)

We aren't really short on Home Grown players quota. We also have played like Fosu Mensah, CBJ who can play without registering.
Which means 3 for certain (Pogba, Lingard, Rashford) which would probably be increased by another 2 (Shaw and Smalling). I'd be surprised if Young, Jones, Johnstone and CBJ will be kept while there's every possibility TFM will be loaned out. That's hardly ideal

Cassidy

On home grown quota.

We are potentially going to get rid of the following players in the not to distant future:

Carrick
Rooney
Jones
Young
Smalling
We also let Schnederlin go already

Thats quite a few, we probably are ok, but I am sure the club would be aware of that fact

Revan

Assumptionman

Pogba
Schneiderlin
Carrick
Jones
Johnstone
Lingard
Smalling
Rooney
Young

If we sell Rooney and Jones (I hope so), next season as homegrown players we have: Johnstone, Smalling, Shaw, Carrick, Pogba, Young and Lingard, which means that we can have a squad of 24 players (not including Rashford). If Pereira returns (he will), it means that we can have 25 players in the squad. Jose has never used in his career, a squad this big, He uses 21-23 players (we have 21 players right now), so even in the following season when Carrick and Young will leave, we can still field 23 players which is fine. So, no extra homegrown players needed.

Also, why on Earth would we want to sell Rojo in order to get Keane? Rojo is a way better CB as of now. He was our best CB this season, and we have (statistically) the second best defense in the league. And this season, it wasn't because of De Gea.

Revan

Assumptionman
On home grown quota.

We are potentially going to get rid of the following players in the not to distant future:

Carrick
Rooney
Jones
Young
Smalling
We also let Schnederlin go already

Thats quite a few, we probably are ok, but I am sure the club would be aware of that fact
With all of these leaving (lets assume by the end of next season), then on 2018-2019 we will have: Johnstone (or some other third keeper to make the numbers), Shaw, Pogba, Lingard and Pereira (Rashford would still be U21 so he doesn't count), which allows for a squad of 22 senior players (one more player than we have right now). This if of course, not counting the likes of Januzaj and CBJ who might still have a puncher's chance to return. And of course, this also assumes that we won't sign any other homegrown player (Lukaku perhaps?).

But sill, even if both those assumptions are true, we can field 22 senior players, which is one more than we have right now. So, totally fine in that aspect.

The season after that, Rashford, Tuanzabe and TFM count too (assuming that they will make it here), so we're definitely comfortable enough when it comes to homegrown players for the next few seasons (with the current rules).

devilish

If we sell Rooney and Jones (I hope so), next season as homegrown players we have: Johnstone, Smalling, Shaw, Carrick, Pogba, Young and Lingard, which means that we can have a squad of 24 players (not including Rashford). If Pereira returns (he will), it means that we can have 25 players in the squad. Jose has never used in his career, a squad this big, He uses 21-23 players (we have 21 players right now), so even in the following season when Carrick and Young will leave, we can still field 23 players which is fine. So, no extra homegrown players needed.

Also, why on Earth would we want to sell Rojo in order to get Keane? Rojo is a way better CB as of now. He was our best CB this season, and we have (statistically) the second best defense in the league. And this season, it wasn't because of De Gea.
Lets focus on the rules first

Premier League clubs are allowed a maximum of 25 players in their squad. Of those, eight must be homegrown, which means they have must have come through an English academy. You don't have to fill your 25-man squad. If you only have six homegrown players, that's fine as long as you reduce your squad size accordingly to 23.
Assuming we sell Rooney and Jones. We'll have 8 (inc Rashford). There's still question marks surrounding Carrick's and Young's future, that means the number will probably go to 5-6 in the next 12 months (Johnstone might leave too). I agree that Mou had traditionally used 21-23 players which will make us qualify for the latter rule. However, after an injury ravaged season like ours, I won't be surprised if he decides to start working with a bigger squad.

Also, why on Earth would we want to sell Rojo in order to get Keane? Rojo is a way better CB as of now. He was our best CB this season, and we have (statistically) the second best defense in the league. And this season, it wasn't because of De Gea
I suspect that 3 months of decent football in 2 years doesn't automatically qualify you as a great defender. Lets say I would be very surprised if Rojo remains first teamer next season. If Rojo becames a backup player Id rather have a solid homegrown talent as backup then him.

roonster09

Scout
Which means 3 for certain (Pogba, Lingard, Rashford) which would probably be increased by another 2 (Shaw and Smalling). I'd be surprised if Young, Jones, Johnstone and CBJ will be kept while there's every possibility TFM will be loaned out. That's hardly ideal
I think only one of Jones or Smalling will be sold so that's 5 players and if you include 3rd choice GK that's 6.

If we leave every player who might be sold and loaned out then we will end up with 6 which is not a bad number, which means we will have 23 players in the squad and players like Tuanzebe, CBJ can be used as squad fillers.

Revan

Assumptionman
Lets focus on the rules first

Assuming we sell Rooney and Jones. We'll have 8 (inc Rashford). There's still question marks surrounding Carrick's and Young's future, that means the number will probably go to 5-6 in the next 12 months (Johnstone might leave too). I agree that Mou had traditionally used 21-23 players which will make us qualify for the latter rule. However, after an injury ravaged season like ours, I won't be surprised if he decides to start working with a bigger squad.
The solution to this problem is getting fit players, not stockpiling players. Get a defender who can play 40-50 matches per year instead of Jones and suddenly you don't have injury ravaged defense. Same goes for Shaw if he cannot sort it out.

Mourinho didn't use 25 players when he won the leagues, neither is doing Conte right now. There is no need for a 25 men squad (in addition to Rashford, TMF, Tuanzabe etc).

I suspect that 3 months of decent football in 2 years doesn't automatically qualify you as a great defender. Lets say I would be very surprised if Rojo remains first teamer next season. If Rojo becames a backup player Id rather have a solid homegrown talent as backup then him.
Are you talking for Rojo or Keane here?

Rojo has been our best defender this season. Keane has been the best defender of a club that is gonna get relegated. It isn't even close who is the better defender right now. Ideally, I would like better defenders than Rojo and Bailly (although Bailly can still improve), but Keane is a downgrade in either of them (or Smalling/Jones for that matter). The only way this signing makes sense is to get him as a Jones replacement, slightly worse but younger and fitter. But, Rojo and Bailly are hardly world class so we should look to upgrade one of them, not to upgrade our fourth choice CB. Gimenez, Rojo, Bailly and Smalling should be good for next season, although preferably we should try to go for Bonucci/Godin.

devilish

I think only one of Jones or Smalling will be sold so that's 5 players and if you include 3rd choice GK that's 6.

If we leave every player who might be sold and loaned out then we will end up with 6 which is not a bad number, which means we will have 23 players in the squad and players like Tuanzebe, CBJ can be used as squad fillers.
If we're aiming for a 25 men squad (which we we're probably will) then we will need 8. As you said, one between Jones and Smalling will leave which means we'll have 6 homegrown.

Tuanzebe needs to be sent on loan and CBJ had been struggling with fecking Wolves. Why would they be preferred ahead of Keane?

devilish

The solution to this problem is getting fit players, not stockpiling players. Get a defender who can play 40-50 matches per year instead of Jones and suddenly you don't have injury ravaged defense. Same goes for Shaw if he cannot sort it out.

Mourinho didn't use 25 players when he won the leagues, neither is doing Conte right now. There is no need for a 25 men squad (in addition to Rashford, TMF, Tuanzabe etc).

Are you talking for Rojo or Keane here?

Rojo has been our best defender this season. Keane has been the best defender of a club that is gonna get relegated. It isn't even close who is the better defender right now. Ideally, I would like better defenders than Rojo and Bailly (although Bailly can still improve), but Keane is a downgrade in either of them (or Smalling/Jones for that matter). The only way this signing makes sense is to get him as a Jones replacement, slightly worse but younger and fitter. But, Rojo and Bailly are hardly world class so we should look to upgrade one of them, not to upgrade our fourth choice CB. Gimenez, Rojo, Bailly and Smalling should be good for next season, although preferably we should try to go for Bonucci/Godin.
You keep mentioning Tuanzebe, TFM etc and yet, when shit hits fan we won't be using them because they aren't experienced enough. Since shit tend to hit fan on a nearly yearly basis, then yes, we do need a bigger squad and no we won't be using these fancy names to sort it out.

In 2 years, Rojo gave us just few months of decent football. For the rest he was a lousy full back and a disaster waiting to happen as a CB. Now I don't think he was our best CB either. Nevertheless even if it was the case, its hardly an achievement these days considering the competition he'll have to face. We've got a kid who hardly had 40 games in La Liga and who is surrounded by idiots. None of them would even be near to the treble/3CL winning first team.

And why on earth do we need a Bonnucci/Godin as a first teamer? Isn't our best CB of the season good enough to lead the defense? He's 27 years old same as Smalling is.

Nuts

If we can find another Bailly then I'm all for it. I don't sense Keane is in that category.
You've reduced a team sport to overly simplistic 'calibres'. Doesn't work like that - Mourinho wants a partner for Bailly and he wants someone with desire and hunger to play for United. There's absolutely no guarantee that Bonucci would adapt well to English football at his age, whereas Keane has grown up on it and could develop into quite a player under Mourinho.

I wouldn't underestimate how good Keane could be - a good age, lots of desire to prove himself at United and a decent partner in Bailly.

For what it's worth, even given Bonucci's calibre, I think he'd make an awkward defensive pair with Bailly...

roonster09

Scout
If we're aiming for a 25 men squad (which we we're probably will) then we will need 8. As you said, one between Jones and Smalling will leave which means we'll have 6 homegrown.

Tuanzebe needs to be sent on loan and CBJ had been struggling with fecking Wolves. Why would they be preferred ahead of Keane?
Doubt we will sign players just to add numbers to the squad as we are already have players who are squad players than first team quality.

Re CBJ, he was good playing for ManUtd and there are plenty of examples where player didn't play for lower league team while on loan but went on to play for first team in PL.

Ramshock

CAF Pilib De Brún Translator
Swimming against a tide of idiots and spoofers
If he comes back he would be a back up option for me. I personally think he just suits Burnley and how they play the game. I think he would be more vulnerable in an attacking team.

A little known fact he represented the Rep of Ireland at underage level which could signal that the England setup at that time wasnt that enamoured by him so maybe he is a late bloomer.

Achilles McCool

Why can't we sign both Gimenez and Keane after selling both Smalling and Jones?

Nuts

I'm sure there are loads of players in the same age category as Bailly 12 months ago who are just coming into good form. The question is whether we should buying established world class players or bringing back local castaways for nostalgic reasons.
Haha... Mourinho 'nostalgic'?! Don't think so. If we actually went for Keane it would be for anything but nostalgic reasons.

Nuts

That's not why a lot on here support United. It's all about the cocks out deals...

Status
Not open for further replies.