Michael Olise

Judas

Open to offers
Not sure he's the wisest of investments right now even though I like him as a player.

Unless they'd do a straight swap with Antony, then sure why not!

hobbers

Another absolute banana skin signing in the works.

Rather spend £60m on Eze. At least he's kicked a ball this year.

yamo123x

Superb player but poor injury record and thus investing 60million on him may not be the wise thing. Maybe offer Palace 70 mill + AWB for him and Eze?

We just have to move Antony on, he is absolutely shocking, 2 decent games all season and offers nothing....stinking the place out constantly

Hammondo

Superb player but poor injury record and thus investing 60million on him may not be the wise thing. Maybe offer Palace 70 mill + AWB for him and Eze?

We just have to move Antony on, he is absolutely shocking, 2 decent games all season and offers nothing....stinking the place out constantly
So then making right back more of a priority signing for a left winger to be on the bench?

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
He's a lovely player but two hamstring injuries in the last two seasons that have sidelined him 5 and 2 months. At such a young age that's quite worrisome. 60m is mental.

Von Mistelroum

Absolutely ridiculous if we go for this lad!

Do we need at least one new winger? Yes.

How's the left wing doing? Well Rashford is a joke and Garnacho is better on the right, and that's our options.

How's the right wing? Relatively stacked with Garnacho playing far better there, and Antony, Amad as backups.

Yep. Better get a new right winger in then!!

MegadrivePerson

If Palace want £120 million for Olise and Eze why would they accept £70 milion plus Wan-Bisaka? Do you think he's still worth £50 million?

daba

Absolutely ridiculous if we go for this lad!

Do we need at least one new winger? Yes.

How's the left wing doing? Well Rashford is a joke and Garnacho is better on the right, and that's our options.

How's the right wing? Relatively stacked with Garnacho playing far better there, and Antony, Amad as backups.

Yep. Better get a new right winger in then!!
I think Nico Williams works better for this reason too. Natural right footer and generally plays left but is just as comfortable on the right as a more traditional winger. Could be great to have both Garnacho and him interchanging.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
He’s not a must buy for me, but he’s a very talented kid and I would have no issues if we did buy him.

Redstain

Priority signing to gift service to the attacking front line. Injury record aside he would be a monumental improvement to the team without a single doubt.

Devil81

We've bought the best of Palace a few times over the last decade and both haven't been good enough.

It's a no for me.

zenith

Was quite convinced about him till earlier in the year but the last thing we want is another sick note

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
I’m not really concerned that he has been injured. Footballers get injured. He will get a medical here.

If a player has suffered frequent injuries he has either been unlucky or has a physical predisposition to injury. An enhanced medical examination should reveal if it is the latter, and the former is not relevant.

didz

I’m not really concerned that he has been injured. Footballers get injured. He will get a medical here.

If a player has suffered frequent injuries he has either been unlucky or has a physical predisposition to injury. An enhanced medical examination should reveal if it is the latter, and the former is not relevant.
I don't know how anyone can look at the year we've had and conclude that the answer is to bring in more players who struggle to start half the league games of a season.

Every outfield player we signed in the summer came in injured. Shall we maybe try not doing that again?

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
I don't know how anyone can look at the year we've had and conclude that the answer is to bring in more players who struggle to start half the league games of a season.

Every outfield player we signed in the summer came in injured. Shall we maybe try not doing that again?
No, not necessarily.

hobbers

Two severe hamstring injuries in one year is a mega concern.

And our medicals have developed quite the recent history for not catching or not caring about existing problems

eire-red

Olise would do well for us I think, but Wharton is a more interesting player that we should be looking at.

Every time I have seen him, he oozes class and composure on the ball.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Two severe hamstring injuries in one year is a mega concern.

And our medicals have developed quite the recent history for not catching or not caring about existing problems
I’m not really concerned about whether it’s a concern to drama-driven fans tbh. I’m only interested if it’s a concern to a doctor. And I’m not saying it won’t be, I have no idea.

And as for your second statement, I’m not sure that is true either, or how we’re qualified to say that. Is it because our football players have gone on to sustain injuries?

Marwood

I’m not really concerned about whether it’s a concern to drama-driven fans tbh. I’m only interested if it’s a concern to a doctor. And I’m not saying it won’t be, I have no idea.

And as for your second statement, I’m not sure that is true either, or how we’re qualified to say that. Is it because our football players have gone on to sustain injuries?
Can a medical pick up a hamstring that could be prone to injury?

I'm not sure that's within the scope of a medical or possible at all.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Can a medical pick up a hamstring that could be prone to injury?

I'm not sure that's within the scope of a medical or possible at all.
Almost certainly. There really seems to be this narrative that nobody working for Manchester United has any form of qualification or something, perhaps because the football team finished 6th in the PL before (not saying these are your words btw!). Simply put, if a hamstring is prone to injury, as in more so than another hamstring, then there would be a reason for it. And an expert sports medical team would be able to see that. Those things are literally the type of thing you conduct a medical for.

Why would a hamstring be more prone to injury? Are the tendons weaker than normal? We’d see that. Does the player have a contributing running motion? We’d pick that up. Even our old football manager, almost 20 years ago, had mentioned concerns about Henderson’s running style potentially leading to injury. I’m sure our medical experts would be able to see if there are any legacy issues. They also get a player’s full medical info sent to them, so by Palace in this case.

Marwood

Almost certainly. There really seems to be this narrative that nobody working for Manchester United has any form of qualification or something, perhaps because the football team finished 6th in the PL before (not saying these are your words btw!). Simply put, if a hamstring is prone to injury, as in more so than another hamstring, then there would be a reason for it. And an expert sports medical team would be able to see that. Those things are literally the type of thing you conduct a medical for.

Why would a hamstring be more prone to injury? Are the tendons weaker than normal? We’d see that. Does the player have a contributing running motion? We’d pick that up. Even our old football manager, almost 20 years ago, had mentioned concerns about Henderson’s running style potentially leading to injury. I’m sure our medical experts would be able to see if there are any legacy issues. They also get a player’s full medical info sent to them, so by Palace in this case.
Can you remember a player ever failing a medical because their hamstring might be prone to injury.

In fact can you ever remember a player failing a medical at all?

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
I would prefer Pedro Neto but has the same concerns as Olise - fitness

Hammondo

That sounds like total nonsense, I don't think they can tell, as they never find anyone with these problems.

elmo

Can never have too many Eevees

SER19

Before this season his injury record was very good. Played 37 league games last season, and only missed 12 days the season before. Before that he played 44 out of 46 championship games. The club would have to decide if this is more one long term injury that didnt settle, or if hes 'injury prone'. There is a difference. Neto by contrast, has a similiar repeated injury this season but also has a cruciate ligament injury - he seems to pick up more separate injuries.

Marwood

Neither to do with a potentially dodgy hamstring.

The latter was to do with heart problems which is exactly what I'd expect a medical to cover.

That a Google search can only produce two examples, one from a decade ago, should show that a medical is a pretty basic check.

The idea it can predict hamstring fallibility is a bit of nonsense I think.

How does Luke Shaw keep getting contracts if we've got the ability to medically predict his muscle strains?

Marwood

And was completely wrong.

Rasmus_9

I think people can jump on the ‘injury prone’ bandwagon too quickly. Yes, this season hasn’t been the best for him but you can protect against hamstring injuries through things like yoga and a specific fitness plan. Look at how many hammy injuries Giggs got yet then went seasons being a very consistent starter (I believe yoga turned things around for him). Robben is another example. Players will get injuries it’s part and parcel of the game but doesn’t mean they’ll be a Luke Shaw/ Martial level of proneness.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Can you remember a player ever failing a medical because their hamstring might be prone to injury.

In fact can you ever remember a player failing a medical at all?
Unless they are our players, hard to remember. But I remember that many players have 'failed’ medicals in football, only the detail has been fairly useless information that I haven’t carried for years. I think Jerome Boateng recently failed one somewhere, within the last few years.

Ultimately, ‘failed’ is a misleading word anyway. A club can sign anyone they choose, what they want is the information. We signed Rooney injured, just as we signed Mount injured. Our useless medical team detected a potential problem with Rasmus Hojlund, and gave a report that the issue can be avoided with certain actions, so we took the decision to find him. Similarly, I’d expect them to report on potential problems with Olise. They found issue with Varane’s knee during his medical and still decided to sign him, but also took the decision to restructure his salary to a more appearance/bonus based format.

Several transfers have been stopped or postponed due to medical examinations anyway, however, if you want names, perhaps you should google them.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
And was completely wrong.
Which again goes to show how the matter of injuries is highly unpredictable. Not to mention that the player in question could have made adjustments, under medical advice over the years. Nobody knows. The point is, prevention is looked at during the process.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
That sounds like total nonsense, I don't think they can tell, as they never find anyone with these problems.
You are qualified to say what is and isn’t found during a medical right? You are also qualified to say what is wrong with a player’s hamstring to determine that a player has a higher propensity to hamstring injuries as opposed to simply have had worse luck than another player?

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
You are qualified to say what is and isn’t found during a medical right? You are also qualified to say what is wrong with a player’s hamstring to determine that a player has a higher propensity to hamstring injuries as opposed to simply have had worse luck than another player?
Olise has only had 2 hamstring injuries anyway which is not likely to be an indicator of some cronic problem