Michel Platini: Uefa to 'ease' financial fair play rules

endless_wheelies

feeling dizzy
An interesting point, how ill this work?

Say the rules are dropped by FIFA (which I doubt) and City spend £200 million, how will this work within the premiership rules? And what would the punishment be?
They'd probably get a fine and points deduction. The Premier League FFP rules expire at the end of next season though and have to be voted on again, so I imagine they will be amended if they're seen to hurt English clubs' competitiveness in Europe. Also if the UEFA FFP rules were amended because of various legal pressures then the Premiership FFP rules will be under the exact same legal pressure.

TBH I'd rather the Premier League as a whole stayed strong and dominated Europe than win a one-horse race every year with just 2 or 3 English Champions League spots to fall back on if we had a bad season.

NinjaZombie

Punched the air when Liverpool beat City
I agree with this. I wish young and talented players would stay longer at their home clubs, give those clubs a chance to shine and make the league more competitive.

Every emerging talent is quickly snapped up by some richer club.
I feel like this is a direct result of football being a team game. Good players want to play with other good players. And if they get good money while doing it, then why the hell not?

I don't think European football will ever adopt a system like the NBA or the other American sports with salary caps etc. Though I'm not sure how those work in practice, in theory they actually make sense.

Cal?

CR7 fan
They'd probably get a fine and points deduction. The Premier League FFP rules expire at the end of next season though and have to be voted on again, so I imagine they will be amended if they're seen to hurt English clubs' competitiveness in Europe. Also if the UEFA FFP rules were amended because of various legal pressures then the Premiership FFP rules will be under the exact same legal pressure.

TBH I'd rather the Premier League as a whole stayed strong and dominated Europe than win a one-horse race every year with just 2 or 3 English Champions League spots to fall back on if we had a bad season.
La Liga being dominated hasn't stopped their Uefa coefficient being by far the highest...

Dr. Funkenstein

Not CAF Geert Wilders
I think Uefa should solve this issue within their own trade. Now they're trying to do it by accounting and business rules, but that's not their core business, and that's why they're limited by laws and courts in what they can do.

They should stick to their core business, football rules and regulations, and solve the problem from within those. You want to compete in the Champions League? Ok, qualify for it and compete in it with the same squad you managed to qualify for it. That's a pure sporting regulation, courts and (EU) lawmakers or businessmen, sheiks and advertisers have no authority over that.

Of course they should allow for a few transfers every year, but there's no reason why UEFA or FA should allow for clubs to change their squad completely every year and buy the greatest talents in the world and have them available without ever playing them. If you limit the number of changes in the squad, you limit the number transfers internationally, small clubs can enjoy there best players for one or two years longer, and the audience can actually see them play instead of knowing they're in the Chelsea reserves.

Utd7

I feel like this is a direct result of football being a team game. Good players want to play with other good players. And if they get good money while doing it, then why the hell not?

I don't think European football will ever adopt a system like the NBA or the other American sports with salary caps etc. Though I'm not sure how those work in practice, in theory they actually make sense.
The way a salary cap works is that a league such as the NBA each offseason sets a specific number that is considered the cap number. Let's say the cap number is 70 million, every team is essentially required to have their payroll for players that upcoming season fall within a total of 70 million. If a player is making 20 million for an upcoming season as an example, then a team has 50 million to spend on other players. This is assuming that a team has all contracts that are up for renewal. Going over the cap results in tax penalties that make it cost prohibitive to go over.

I think Uefa should solve this issue within their own trade. Now they're trying to do it by accounting and business rules, but that's not their core business, and that's why they're limited by laws and courts in what they can do.

They should stick to their core business, football rules and regulations, and solve the problem from within those. You want to compete in the Champions League? Ok, qualify for it and compete in it with the same squad you managed to qualify for it. That's a pure sporting regulation, courts and (EU) lawmakers or businessmen, sheiks and advertisers have no authority over that.

Of course they should allow for a few transfers every year, but there's no reason why UEFA or FA should allow for clubs to change their squad completely every year and buy the greatest talents in the world and have them available without ever playing them. If you limit the number of changes in the squad, you limit the number transfers internationally, small clubs can enjoy there best players for one or two years longer, and the audience can actually see them play instead of knowing they're in the Chelsea reserves.
It will never happen, but I love the idea!

Walrus

Oppressed White Male
The brown envelopes were probably a bit late last year, and so Platini dished out some punishments to show what happens when you miss a payment. Normal service has now been resumed, of course.

endless_wheelies

feeling dizzy
La Liga being dominated hasn't stopped their Uefa coefficient being by far the highest...
haha thought some pedantic tosser might point that out right after I posted it - to rephrase I'd rather the Premier League wasn't at a disadvantage to the rest of Europe just so we can dominate domestically.

JazzG

Resident Arse.
I hope he enjoys his little brown envelope from Florentino Perez and Sheikh Mansour.
Doubt FFP has any effect on R.Madrid, if anything it would suit them because it handicaps the likes of Chelsea, PSG & City. What it comes down to is whether these rules are enforceable in a court of law. If they are backing down it indicates maybe not.

C'est Moi Cantona

There seem to be many conflicting stories on what Platini is planning to do, if worst case scenario it is abolished then I personally don't think we have too much to worry about.

Domestically City are the only issue atm but will they really want to be showing massive losses on their accounts year, on year, I would doubt it, Chelsea won't go back to their old ways now they are breaking even, and then internationally there is PSG who will be forever hamstrung by been stuck in an inferior league, there is every chance they will win their domestic league by a huge margin year after year, it'll soon get dull for everyone involved.

I still think the alterations will be limited as so many clubs have done so much to abide by them, and the big hitters will surely go crazy if it is knocked on the head, but if it was we should still find ourselves in an enviable position for buying the top players, the main concern would be the football world been flooded with multi billionaires buying up lots of clubs, then the madness would truly begin.

antihenry

CAF GRU Rep
There seem to be many conflicting stories on what Platini is planning to do, if worst case scenario it is abolished then I personally don't think we have too much to worry about.

Domestically City are the only issue atm but will they really want to be showing massive losses on their accounts year, on year, I would doubt it, Chelsea won't go back to their old ways now they are breaking even, and then internationally there is PSG who will be forever hamstrung by been stuck in an inferior league, there is every chance they will win their domestic league by a huge margin year after year, it'll soon get dull for everyone involved.

I still think the alterations will be limited as so many clubs have done so much to abide by them, and the big hitters will surely go crazy if it is knocked on the head, but if it was we should still find ourselves in an enviable position for buying the top players, the main concern would be the football world been flooded with multi billionaires buying up lots of clubs, then the madness would truly begin.
City actually show massive profits every year and they'll get even more money from new sponsorships connected to their owner. They'll have no problem splashing a fortune on new arrivals.

Insanity

Most apt username 2015

This guy Matt Scott and Mark Ogden were on football today the other night and they said something similar. Their view was:
  • FFP won't be shunned for good.
  • There was some proposal to reduce the overspending/losses limit even further, which won't be implemented now
  • There will only be a minor relaxation from the current limit (45m in losses over a three year period, is it?)
  • There may be other minor tweaks here and there.

C'est Moi Cantona

City actually show massive profits every year and they'll get even more money from new sponsorships connected to their owner. They'll have no problem splashing a fortune on new arrivals.
Didn't realise they were at this point yet, if they stay within what they 'earn' then that'll be fine then, I'm sure their owners aim is to make a profit long term.

C'est Moi Cantona

This guy Matt Scott and Mark Ogden were on football today the other night and they said something similar. Their view was:
  • FFP won't be shunned for good.
  • There was some proposal to reduce the overspending/losses limit even further, which won't be implemented now
  • There will only be a minor relaxation from the current limit (45m in losses over a three year period, is it?)
  • There may be other minor tweaks here and there.
That all sounds very logical, I think Platini has been quoted as saying it won't be scrapped but just tweaked in the last 48 hours aswell.

BobbyManc

Supports
Man City

The Belgian court has also referred the case to the European Court of Justice. Be interesting to see when and how that case unfolds.

JazzG

Resident Arse.
From what Ivan Gazidis said the main change for FFP is for clubs not in the CL. They are allowed to make larger investments but need to raise their revenues and be sustainable within 3 years