Midfield: Amrabat or McTominay?

LDUred

Casemiro is obviously a better player than Amrabat but he wouldn't be much better in a one man midfield.

That's the crux of the problem, rather than the limitations of the midfielders. Anyone whom we play there is on a hiding to nothing.

NewGlory

United make me feel dirty. And not in a sexy way.
As many problems as Amrabat has, I would take him alongside Mainoo or Casemiro, instead of McT any day of the week. We cannot have a single-person defensive midfield with our current midfielders.

Playing with McT is like playing with 10 men. He may score a goal every once in a while, but he is non-existent the rest of 90 minutes. Use him as a super-sub at most, but that's the extent of his usefulness.

kerrygold

Supports
united
As many problems as Amrabat has, I would take him alongside Mainoo or Casemiro, instead of McT any day of the week. We cannot have a single-person defensive midfield with our current midfielders.

Playing with McT is like playing with 10 men. He may score a goal every once in a while, but he is non-existent the rest of 90 minutes. Use him as a super-sub at most, but that's the extent of his usefulness.
This cannot be said enough. The man has lead in his feet. His passing is atrocious. Throw him on the last ten minutes when we need a goal.

Phil Osophy

I appreciate McTominay, his athletic qualities and mindset. The problem I see with him (and probably what motivated his potential exit last summer) is the fact that he doesn't fully fit in any role in the current midfield. I see him as a good complementary player in a midfield three, next to a creative 8 who can orchestrate, and both backed by an actual anchor. He could do a bit of everything there while the team remains balanced.

Our problem as always is how we combine the pieces we have in the squad. If we take Bruno as a reference as a number 10, the two midfielders should be someone dictating the play from behind (EtH wanted De Jong) and a strong defensive presence next to him who can also manage the ball well when pressed.

From that point I don't see how we can fit McTominay into that setup when he's not solid enough as an anchor, he's not a deep playmaker nor a creative number 10.

Playing him in a midfield two and instructing him to bomb forward leaves the team too open defensive wise. Taking Bruno as a reference any combination of two out of Casemiro-Amrabat-Mainoo makes more sense than McTominay. Even under a new manager I think the story would be the same. I don't think it's about ten Hag but about combining the players we have.

It was the same with Fred. Next to Casemiro we're too stiff, there's no "football" (as EtH said once after subbing Casemiro). Next to Eriksen we're not solid enough. There's no good combination with these 'supportive' kind of midfielders. Both together (Scott and Fred) did a job under Ole but it was never going to be the formula going forward.

If I was Scott I'd be looking for a team where his qualities could be properly exploited. There's a good player there in the right setup but he'll remain "a square peg" here and never looking fully convincing in any role. As I said he doesn't disturb me in the squad, good emergency option to chase a late goal maybe and playing the occasional game. But it could be beneficial for both sides to explore new options next summer.

davidmichael

I appreciate McTominay, his athletic qualities and mindset. The problem I see with him (and probably what motivated his potential exit last summer) is the fact that he doesn't fully fit in any role in the current midfield. I see him as a good complementary player in a midfield three, next to a creative 8 who can orchestrate, and both backed by an actual anchor. He could do a bit of everything there while the team remains balanced.

Our problem as always is how we combine the pieces we have in the squad. If we take Bruno as a reference as a number 10, the two midfielders should be someone dictating the play from behind (EtH wanted De Jong) and a strong defensive presence next to him who can also manage the ball well when pressed.

From that point I don't see how we can fit McTominay into that setup when he's not solid enough as an anchor, he's not a deep playmaker nor a creative number 10.

Playing him in a midfield two and instructing him to bomb forward leaves the team too open defensive wise. Taking Bruno as a reference any combination of two out of Casemiro-Amrabat-Mainoo makes more sense than McTominay. Even under a new manager I think the story would be the same. I don't think it's about ten Hag but about combining the players we have.

It was the same with Fred. Next to Casemiro we're too stiff, there's no "football" (as EtH said once after subbing Casemiro). Next to Eriksen we're not solid enough. There's no good combination with these 'supportive' kind of midfielders. Both together (Scott and Fred) did a job under Ole but it was never going to be the formula going forward.

If I was Scott I'd be looking for a team where his qualities could be properly exploited. There's a good player there in the right setup but he'll remain "a square peg" here and never looking fully convincing in any role. As I said he doesn't disturb me in the squad, good emergency option to chase a late goal maybe and playing the occasional game. But it could be beneficial for both sides to explore new options next summer.
I think Mainoo could very well be that De Jong type midfielder who can break the press, play through the lines and also dictate whilst Casemiro is obviously a very strong defensive presence who can manage the ball BUT he struggles with the stamina side so basically a Casemiro type with legs (Palhinha, Kone, Tchouameni) alongside Mainoo.

Red the Bear

Something less generic
I like us to try a mainoo amrabat casemiro combo at least once, a bit negative without Bruno's creativity but potentially much more assertive in possession, Bruno doesn't work that well on the right wing compared to Antony so he'll be binned in this scenario.

Phil Osophy

I think Mainoo could very well be that De Jong type midfielder who can break the press, play through the lines and also dictate whilst Casemiro is obviously a very strong defensive presence who can manage the ball BUT he struggles with the stamina side so basically a Casemiro type with legs (Palhinha, Kone, Tchouameni) alongside Mainoo.
Yes, that would be my option as well. I'd want Mainoo to keep playing to see what he's capable of. He looks really sober and composed for his age.

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
The biggest deceptions ever known to mankind was when the devil tried to convince everyone that he wasn't real, and when McTominay pretended to be a midfielder. This is a no brainer. It's Ambrabat. McTominay is good in one area of the pitch. In fact, he's really good. And that's in the opponents 18. He's a striker. Let him come off the bench. Hell, I'd be curious to see how we do with him starting in the #9

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
:lol:
It’s so strange that the one thing ten Hag has chosen to be so adamant on is playing “one no.6” - the very thing that sees us forfeit so much control and possession in football matches.

Yagami

Good post resistant
With ten Hag this season, it's always going to be one of Mainoo, Amrabat and Casemiro as the 6. One of McTominay, Eriksen and Mount as the 8/10 hybrid. Then Bruno as the 10.

The only time we'll play two of the 6s is when they're literally all we have available like against Liverpool. If Bruno hadn't have been suspended, Mainoo and Amrabat would not have played together there.

The Substitute

This is a total inability to just face the glaring fact that it's not working with the player material, so CHANGE!! God damnit!

I now see McSauce playing some sort of second attacker, hugging the line with Rasmus, completely ruining any build up options.

Amrabat any day

Borys

Statistics Wizard
With ten Hag this season, it's always going to be one of Mainoo, Amrabat and Casemiro as the 6. One of McTominay, Eriksen and Mount as the 8/10 hybrid. Then Bruno as the 10.

The only time we'll play two of the 6s is when they're literally all we have available like against Liverpool. If Bruno hadn't have been suspended, Mainoo and Amrabat would not have played together there.
Exactly. This is why Ten Hag gets no credit for playing them against Liverpool. He was literally forced to do it and today we see he still doesn't see this as an option.

Red Rash

McTominay isn't working at all...again. Would prefer to play Ambrabat as the 6 and Mainoo as 8

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Amrabat if we’re looking for a DM to stay back. He’d also give Mainoo freedom to go forward a little bit

Mwooyo

I remember when ragnick was in his death spiral,he consistently selected the same useless starting 11, bad result after bad result...seeing ETH select mctominay gives me those exact vibes...how can a manager make the same mistake game after game. Mctominay is not good either with the ball or without it. We can not build a team around the fact that on his good day he scores goals

cyberman

Scott isn’t a midfielder. Hes being played as a 10 and as long as he scores his one goal in 5 then he’s staying there and it’s baffling why. It’s as if someone told Ten Jag to get the best out of Scott and the rest will follow.

Paul778

I would prefer Hannibal if we need some more energy.

McT is this decades Fellani. He can offer something now and again but is not someone who should ever be a regular in the side

Carl

has permanently erect nipples
He's the only guy in the squad that seems to be able to score, but even with that I've no idea why he continues to start.

gaffs

Why was Amrabat left out today? Was solid v Liverpool. We looked much better with Mainoo and Amrabat together.

Bruno comes back in and Ten Hag doesn't have the balls to drop McTominay because he is top scorer.

Gaidal

Amrabat: a midfielder, albeit not world class.

Mctominay: not even a football player.

putzmcgee123

Scott isn’t a midfielder. Hes being played as a 10 and as long as he scores his one goal in 5 then he’s staying there and it’s baffling why. It’s as if someone told Ten Jag to get the best out of Scott and the rest will follow.
This is absolutely painful to think about. :nervous:

Cantona’s Kung Fu Kick

He's the only guy in the squad that seems to be able to score, but even with that I've no idea why he continues to start.
He’s literally done it in 2 games this season that’s all. It’s a total myth he’s a goal threat. He scored 1 goal in the Premiership last season.

Lyng

This is why I am slowly moving towards Ten Hag out.
Liverpool was the first time this season our midfield looked somewhat balanced, and yet the very next match he reverts to the old shite that isn't working.

Carl

has permanently erect nipples
He’s literally done it in 2 games this season that’s all. It’s a total myth he’s a goal threat. He scored 1 goal in the Premiership last season.
I'm not suggesting he's prolific. He's literally our top scorer though.

Oranges038

Amrabat every day and twice on Sundays.

McT should not be anywhere near Utd at this stage in his career. He seems like a good lad, but he's just not good enough, never was.

Founder of IhateMakeleles.org and Gourcufffanboysa
Why was Amrabat left out today? Was solid v Liverpool. We looked much better with Mainoo and Amrabat together.

Bruno comes back in and Ten Hag doesn't have the balls to drop McTominay because he is top scorer.
How would having no mctominay vs west ham made a damned difference? It wasn't our midfield failing to control the game costing us. It was our wide players operating like football androids with freshly formatted memory stores that killed us all game. Even with Ambrabat we still lose two nil. {And NO this isn't "a defence of mctominay". Its bafflment at seeing anyone attempt to blame midfield selection for that defeat)

Borys

Statistics Wizard
This isn't really a debate. McTominay has not been playing as a midfielder this season. Clearly Ten Hag is appalled by the idea of two man midfield.

I'd question if he the manager wanted Amrabat in the first place.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
How would having no mctominay vs west ham made a damned difference? It wasn't our midfield failing to control the game costing us. It was our wide players operating like football androids with freshly formatted memory stores that killed us all game. Even with Ambrabat we still lose two nil. {And NO this isn't "a defence of mctominay". Its bafflment at seeing anyone attempt to blame midfield selection for that defeat)
Playing Bruno in his default position wouldn't hurt - for starters. McTominay is occupying second striker role now, effectively pushing Bruno around.

Maybe the first goal doesn't happen if we close down Paqueta / or track Bowen. Either of those 2 things are infinitely more likely with Amrabat instead of McTominay on the pitch. That's second.

I'd argue that Amrabat is playing the deepest midfielder so maybe we would be able to escape the 2nd goal as well but that's a stretch.

This isn't only about McTominay, it's about the team being setup the wrong way as a consequence of his presence.

buckooo1978

Amrabat....not because of his ability, because of his profile and positioning

Make no mistake....this issue is of Ten Hag's doing

We can only hope that with Casemiro coming back we will see Mainoo finally play with him in midfield with Martinez and Varane behind

edgecutter

McTominay is a player that has been at United far longer than he has any right to be. He should have been sold years ago.

abailey123

We need to get back to the 6-8-10 structure that worked for us last year. Unless Ten Hag sees this- this will be the death of him. Amrabat (6), Mainoo (8), Bruno (10) given the current availables or Mainoo (6), Casemiro (8), Bruno (10) when everyone is fit.
For as much as McTominay scored 2 against Brentford and 2 against Chelsea he has too many limitations for us to grab any control over midfield and it means Bruno is sacrificed.