Midfield: Amrabat or McTominay?

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
Casemiro is a given once back. Please don't factor him into the discussion as it's pretty much a shoot out between the two (probably) until he gets back.

Spaghetti

Mom's
The word better should not be used in association with Amrabat.
Neither of them are of the required standard. But if we have to choose between them, especially as a DM, then Amrabat is miles better.

Though it is a bit like choosing between being kicked in the shins or the balls.

Gordon Godot

Neither of them are of the required standard. But if we have to choose between them, especially as a DM, then Amrabat is miles better.

Though it is a bit like choosing between being kicked in the shins or the balls.
Miles better is pushing it. He did a good impression of a training cone yesterday, one of lowest number of passes completed on the pitch as well. I refuse to believe Gore could not do a better job

Irwin99

I sometimes feel kind of bad for always criticizing McTominay but it's probably the same objection people had to Fellaini in that it can be effective and it can get us goals but the team just looks horribly balanced and negative with him in it, especially in a deeper role.

Amrabat at least wants the ball and wants to play that midfield role. If McTominay is a starter (and sadly i think he will remain in the first team for some time) I'd go for this combination until Casemiro and Eriksen come back

Mainoo Amrabat
McTominay
Bruno Hojlund Garnacho​

Steve Bruce

Right now I'd play amrabat. I think we need to see him have a run of games. We know what McT brings and it's not good enough to be 1st team regular.

Amrabat needs to prove himself one way or another

didz

You want Mainoo to start and you don't want him completely abandoned in midfield, so ideally you would have Amrabat next to him.

However, he's 18 and is still at the point where he's tiring after an hour. Added to that, Amrabat has only recently gotten himself fit enough to complete 90 minutes on a regular basis. Those are our two deep midfield options right now. It might not be smart to have them both on the pitch at the same time twice a week while our squad is as hamstrung as it currently is.

mu4c_20le

Right now I'd play amrabat. I think we need to see him have a run of games. We know what McT brings and it's not good enough to be 1st team regular.

Amrabat needs to prove himself one way or another
Match winning goals not good enough..

MadMike

The OP asks for the 3rd player after Bruno and Mainoo.

We've been leaking goals like a sieve while playing with a single CM. And while we don't score much either, you first fix the leaking defence and then move onto the attack. To stop being so open, we need the double pivot in CM. So that means Amrabat, at least until Casemiro is back.

McTominay can been thrown on last 20 mins if we're chasing a goal, but he can't be our Plan A for scoring goals ffs. It's embarrassing that for a club with the resources of United, we look to Scott for goals.

Last edited:

Spaghetti

Mom's
Miles better is pushing it. He did a good impression of a training cone yesterday, one of lowest number of passes completed on the pitch as well. I refuse to believe Gore could not do a better job
Which one? You could be talking about either of them.

Spaghetti

Mom's
You want Mainoo to start and you don't want him completely abandoned in midfield, so ideally you would have Amrabat next to him.

However, he's 18 and is still at the point where he's tiring after an hour. Added to that, Amrabat has only recently gotten himself fit enough to complete 90 minutes on a regular basis. Those are our two deep midfield options right now. It might not be smart to have them both on the pitch at the same time twice a week while our squad is as hamstrung as it currently is.
We don’t have many more two game weeks this year. No Carling Cup and no Europe.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
I would bench a winger and play Mainoo, Casemiro, Mount and Bruno.

You get all what we want. A double pivot, 2 no 8s and no need to see our non-working wingers either .

Steve Bruce

Off the bench can achieve this. But when he doesn't score he doesn't offer much else. He's scored in 3 matches in 14 Premier. While good he has scored in those games it's hardly a very regular thing

Blood Mage

McTominay's positional sense is fecking awful and always has been. Amrabat is extremely limited but he knows how to position himself as a defensive midfielder at least.

didz

We don’t have many more two game weeks this year. No Carling Cup and no Europe.
Momentarily forgot how bad the season's been. Was nice while it lasted.

Last edited:

SER19

Amrabat. Hes not setting the world alight but the criticism is way way overblown. Pair him with mainoo until casemiro comes back, and then with casemiro when mainoo needs a rest

Valencia Shin Crosses

Mctominay. Both their passing is not up to standard, neither their ball control and dribbling. Mct however is more versatile and does have some physicality about him and can provide an attacking threat. Neither should ideally be here.
Goodness, after how many terrible performances we've had you still want to persist with Bruno and McT as the 2 CM's.

MadMike

Casemiro with Mainoo as a double pivot. Bruno ahead of them. Garnacho, Højlund, Mount across the front.
Mostly agree, but I reckon Rashford will get more goals as #9 than Hojlund. Plus the latter needs taking out of the firing line for a bit. He's a 20yo starting every game, our goalscoring burden shouldn't be on him.

Desert Eagle

Punjabi Dude
Amrabat is at least a midfielder who looks to get on the ball. He isn't fast or physical but he understands the basics of the position in a way Mctom does not. The only thing Mctom is better at is striking the ball and scoring goals.

Sparky Rhiwabon

But he plays neither as a defender or attacker for Scotland. He is an attacking-ish midfielder. SMT is not a forward, no way. He is just a very limited (and rather tepid..) midfielder... but he is a midfielder. What he does offer, are goals from midfield, and in any team, especially a team like our current line-up(s), this is something we cannot to discard.
Yeah, when I say attacker I mean attacking midfielder, which I see as different to central midfielder

Gordon Godot

Amrabat is at least a midfielder who looks to get on the ball. He isn't fast or physical but he understands the basics of the position in a way Mctom does not. The only thing Mctom is better at is striking the ball and scoring goals.
Stats for Amrabat yesterday, : 57% passing accuracy, one duel won from eight and possession lost 16 times. He is garbage

mav_9me

For anyone who says McT, let me ask you which of the following teams would take him for their starting X, which is where he is right nowI?

City, Liverpool, Arsenal, Spurs, Barcelona, Madrid, Bayern etc.

No top team would sacrifice midfield/ general midfield ability for occasional goal scoring. We have been doing that for 10 yrs now, first with Fellaini, now with McT. Sigh.

MadMike

Stats for Amrabat yesterday, : 57% passing accuracy, one duel won from eight and possession lost 16 times. He is garbage
I didn't know players got judged on a single game. He had a bad game yesterday at Anfield, much better players than Amrabat have had shockers there in the past.

Care to post the same stats from any of his previous starts? Like Chelsea, Bournemouth, Bayern, Galata...

Last edited:

mav_9me

What do I know, but I feel without McT and say Mainoo in there with Amrabat behind Bruno maybe we keep the ball better, progress the ball better and in general play around the opposition box better and so create more chances? Maybe maybe not. That's where I am at.

Von Mistelroum

Amrabat by a mile. McTom is scared of the ball, awful at passing and really doesn't have anything to his game other than the occasional goal. I'm afraid I would be looking to either phase in Mount in place of Fernandes if he can get fit and regain some form, or bring in someone else for the third spot after Mainoo and Amrabat.

TheRedDevil'sAdvocate

One idea is to start games with Amrabat and, if we're either chasing the game or have to break the deadlock 2/3 into the match, introduce McT. On the other hand, as a colleague at work observed, there is actual evidence (going back to the Solskjaer era) of United getting the job done with McT/Bruno +1 (Fred, Pogba, Eriksen etc.) in the midfield. Which serves as an indication that the question shouldn't be about the pivots, but about how United, after nearly 6 years and close to 1 billion spent, can still field a (mildly) cohesive side only in low-block tactics. Fabulous...

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
Casemiro Mainoo Bruno hopefully

Ekeke

What do you feel Amrabat s biggest flaws are?
Lack of ability and inflated reputation for no reason. Lacking defensively and lacking in attack. Its one thing if you're for example a 21 years old James Garner from last season, but if you're 27 you need to have improved these areas and learned to specialize in something. These are your prime years.

NLunited

You mean he wasn’t good yesterday. Normally speaking he wins lots of duels and is a great passer. It was not the day to rack up passing stats.