Historiographer, and obtainer of rare antiquities
Scout
Live stream:

2cents

Scout

Gambit

Desperately wants to be a Muppet
Kinda, yes. Though I believe Iran's military is less of a paper tiger than Iraq's was. There's no way they can beat the Americans, obviously, but with enough modern hardware they can make it hurt a little bit. It also has more than twice the population, is four times the size, and is quite mountainous.
Not a hope I'm afraid. The UK is even more advanced but the US could wipe us out with ease.

The Firestarter

Not a hope I'm afraid. The UK is even more advanced but the US could wipe us out with ease.
If talking about a conventional conflict and leaving nuclear options aside, in a prolonged conflict they will prevail, but not as easy as you expect.

Gambit

If talking about a conventional conflict and leaving nuclear options aside, in a prolonged conflict they will prevail, but not as easy as you expect.
Leaving nuclear weapons aside, the US would destroy the Iranian regime and military with around the same ease as they did Iraqs. As an occupational force that's a different matter. Sorry this isn't even a contest. People really do underestimate the power of the US military. It would be target practice for them. I have no interest or want to see such a thing, its just the facts.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Leaving nuclear weapons aside, the US would destroy the Iranian regime and military with around the same ease as they did Iraqs. As an occupational force that's a different matter. Sorry this isn't even a contest. People really do underestimate the power of the US military. It would be target practice for them. I have no interest or want to see such a thing, its just the facts.
100%

nimic

something nice
Scout
They would win, obviously, but you could shoot down planes, sink ships, blow up some tanks, etc. You don't need to be a bigger, more powerful country to be able to hurt a big, powerful country. You just need some modern armaments. You probably don't need to blow up too many Americans for the pressure to mount at home. I'm not talking millions or hundreds of thousands, but thousands.

momo83

Massive Snowflake
But the USA doesn’t get into wars to win with ease... it always wants the struggle that justifies its reason for staying.

2cents

Scout
Graffiti at the bottom says “Soleimani is our commander”

2cents

Scout

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
They would win but Iranian military is far from as hapless as Iraq was under Saddam. Iran has so many proxy units around the Arab world that you never even know where the retaliations might start and end.

Gambit

They would win, obviously, but you could shoot down planes, sink ships, blow up some tanks, etc. You don't need to be a bigger, more powerful country to be able to hurt a big, powerful country. You just need some modern armaments. You probably don't need to blow up too many Americans for the pressure to mount at home. I'm not talking millions or hundreds of thousands, but thousands.
something that Iran doesn't have the capability to do.

Sir Matt

Blue Devil
A continuation of incompetent policymaking by the Trump administration. Trump probably assumed he'd get to launch a few missiles and look tough like he did in Syria.

How were DoD and State so unprepared for this response? I'm not sure you can separate it from the significant brain drain that has happened at State under the Trump administration thanks to Tillerson, Pompeo, and Trump himself.

Simbo

That is one hell of a sturdy building. Plenty vids of them failing to break through doors and windows.

2cents

Scout
What a way for this awful decade in the Middle East to end.

Simbo

Yeh but the question is the cost, their carrier groups would be at serious risk. Only takes the loss of a few ships to destroy public opinion.

Gambit

Yeh but the question is the cost, their carrier groups would be at serious risk. Only takes the loss of a few ships to destroy public opinion.
I think you're underestimating US public opinion. Their carrier groups will be in no danger from Iran but even if they were I doubt that sinking any of them would destroy US public opinion, it would instead resolve it.

Simbo

I think you're underestimating US public opinion. Their carrier groups will be in no danger from Iran but even if they were I doubt that sinking any of them would destroy US public opinion, it would instead resolve it.
Well its a split nation, there'd be plenty support but mass protests all over the place at the same time.

There's a load of discussions on the net around whether Iran would be a threat to the US Navy. Seems to me though that a simultaneous swarm of a few hundred missile boats, cruise missiles, air & submarine attacks and whatever else they've got cooked up would pose at least some threat.

Gambit

Well its a split nation, there'd be plenty support but mass protests all over the place at the same time.

There's a load of discussions on the net around whether Iran would be a threat to the US Navy. Seems to me though that a simultaneous swarm of a few hundred missile boats, cruise missiles, air & submarine attacks and whatever else they've got cooked up would pose at least some threat.
It would of it wasn't for a few things. One the US could begin is initial attacks well out off range of Irans capabilities and most of Irans attacking ordinance would be neutralised within days. Also the
US tactics would be to massively overwhelm quickly. The idea of a swarm would be up against the swarm that the US would bring and its no contest. As for the American public. They have a strong history of protesting and being against wars but supporting their armed forces. It would have been just as one sided 18 years ago and believe me the Americans have invested and created a lot of new systems, tactics and weapons since then.

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
That is one hell of a sturdy building. Plenty vids of them failing to break through doors and windows.
It's a large, hugely expensive fortress. It does have a weakness though: if the guards open the gates to let them in.

2cents

Scout

Hashd forces have vowed to stay in the Green Zone until the Americans fully withdraw from Iraq. Assuming Trump isn’t planning to let them have their way, I’d love to know exactly what comes next? A continued stand-off at the embassy doesn’t seem sustainable for any significant period of time, so what does an American push-back look like here? Can they lean on the Iraqi government? Very dangerous situation.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days

Hashd forces have vowed to stay in the Green Zone until the Americans fully withdraw from Iraq. Assuming Trump isn’t planning to let them have their way, I’d love to know exactly what comes next? A continued stand-off at the embassy doesn’t seem sustainable for any significant period of time, so what does an American push-back look like here? Can they lean on the Iraqi government? Very dangerous situation.
Without question the most transparent human being ever to grace the earth. All the while this is happening, all Trump is thinking of is whether it could be a blot on his record like Bengahzi is for HC.

2cents

Scout

Giggsyking

I feel sorry for my home country. It is a place of a proxy war between other countries since the seventies.