g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Millwall fans is racist scum shocker

breakout67

Supports
Man City
You are still making a generalization that most British Asian people find the word inoffensive. I strongly beg to differ.
No that is not what I said at all. I said that this is a word that is used within a specific subculture a lot and so is accepted within that subculture. If a random person of european descent called someone a paki then that would be absolutely racist and offensive. But it's different when pakistani's call each other 'paki' it happens all the time and is used in a different way.

Jeez, you must still be living in the Maggie Thatcher days as that is a load of nonsense! No one in the British Asian community would accept being called a “paki” no matter the way it is specifically worded as a joke or someone being serious. For you to say it’s not an insult to address someone from the British Asian community in that term is absolutely a load of utter garbage!

I’m British Asian myself and if someone called me a “paki”, I’d be extremely upset and hurt as it is simply a racist word to address someone that is Indian/Pakistani.
Nicknames for each sub-culture from the sub-continent is pretty standard in areas where there are lots of british asians.

You said it's either a neutral term, or a term of endearment!
Yet then say "well, why on earth would I say it to a stranger" :lol::lol:

Well, I thought it was a term of endearment a second ago :wenger:
Yes, between people from that country. I wouldn't go up to a stranger and call them that since I don't know if they are from the same place as me. They could be Indian or Bangladeshi as well since there is a lot of overlap in genetics (and they were the same country before world war 2).

jeff_goldblum

It's strange as Bermondsey is pretty diverse, I used to work in the schools round there 10 years ago and it didn’t seem like the place Robinson would get any joy. I also played in a charity tournament at the den and the local “young lions” team put out by millwall didn’t have a single white guy playing. I’m struggling to see where it comes from - considering the area.
My mate whose a Millwall fan was saying to me that lots of their fanbase now live in Kent because a lot of white working class families who used to live in that part of London moved out of the city for various reasons (including a disliking of the increasingly multicultural nature of the area) over the last 50 years. A shitload of them live in the proper Brexit-y towns on the south of the Thames Estuary.

Edit - just seen @CallyRed mentioned this above.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
My mate whose a Millwall fan was saying to me that lots of their fanbase now live in Kent because a lot of white working class families who used to live in that part of London moved out of the city for various reasons (including a disliking of the increasingly multicultural nature of the area) over the last 50 years. A shitload of them live in the proper Brexit-y towns on the south of the Thames Estuary.
Yeah, makes a lot of sense though!

RedDevilRoshi

No that is not what I said at all. I said that this is a word that is used within a specific subculture a lot and so is accepted within that subculture. If a random person of european descent called someone a paki then that would be absolutely racist and offensive. But it's different when pakistani's call each other 'paki' it happens all the time and is used in a different way.

Nicknames for each sub-culture from the sub-continent is pretty standard in areas where there are lots of british asians.

Yes, between people from that country. I wouldn't go up to a stranger and call them that since I don't know if they are from the same place as me. They could be Indian or Bangladeshi as well since there is a lot of overlap in genetics (and they were the same country before world war 2).

I’m British Asian myself and I would never address a fellow British Asian by calling them a “paki” nor would I like to be addressed in that term by a fellow British Asian.

You are absolutely deluded if you think British Asian people would go around calling each other a “Paki”. It’s an offensive word in every single way.

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
So racism has levels?

Tier 1: Blacks; Arabs; Jews
Tier 2: Asians; Latinos
Tier 3: Xenophobia
I've got no idea what you mean with that list.

Enslaving someone because of the colour of their skin is worse than saying "black people can't swim". Both are racist, one is obviously on a totally different level.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin

CallyRed

Millwall fans will claim that they were in fact singing about Patrick 'Packie' Bonner, and how they would rather be in his shoes, than that of a Scouser.

Mint

I've got no idea what you mean with that list.

Enslaving someone because of the colour of their skin is worse than saying "black people can't swim". Both are racist, one is obviously on a totally different level.
But is it worse to sing derogatory songs about Pakistanis than Koreans?

That list is about the level of outrage and implied severity of the offence. If you mock any in Tier 1, you would be called sub-human scum. Tier 2 would provoke a slightly less angry reaction. Tier 3 might get you some scorn or even no reaction at all.

Sauldogba

That is an absolute scandal!
Millwall have black players though. But i suppose even morons aren't dumb enough to abuse their own
I can assure you they probably are dumb enough.
Some football fans can be ignorant arseholes and thick as shit.

I remember going to Westham and 5 year old kids sitting behind me were racially abusing and calling their own player the n word.

Marc Vivien Foe.

Always have been a class below. In the naughty forty book by the stoke mob, they reference a time when a milwall mob got hold of a couple of 14 year old stoke fans, wearing their shirts and stuff, just going to watch the match and decided to batter them, rob them, and dangle them off a bridge for a bit. Millwall fans are Utter trash.
Mate of mine was waiting for a train coming back from a game.
Had a tottenham shirt on underneath his jacket which they spotted.
They tried to throw him underneath a train

:eek::eek:

Last edited:

RochaRoja

But is it worse to sing derogatory songs about Pakistanis than Koreans?

That list is about the level of outrage and implied severity of the offence. If you mock any in Tier 1, you would be called sub-human scum. Tier 2 would provoke a slightly less angry reaction. Tier 3 might get you some scorn or even no reaction at all.
I’d argue in British society, there’s way more baggage in the former than the latter. The same as in Japan, racist “banter” regarding Pakistanis would carry far less baggage than the same aimed at Koreans.

“Paki bashing” was a thing in the UK only a few decades ago. Football hooligan firms allied with one another to start riots in Asian Muslim communties less than 20 years ago.

All racist chanting is unacceptable but cultural context makes some worse than others.

Xeno

Anyone seen the rumour about a Milwall lad getting kidnapped and sliced up by some Everton lads? Doing the rounds on WhatsApp looks grim.

RedTiger

Half mast
My friend once was a steward at Millwall, he’s Pakistani and said it was the worst racist abuse he’s suffered. The club didn’t even give a shit when he reported it.
Funny thing is that I have 4 Asian mates who are season ticket holders at Millwall. They don't get any abuse but I'd hazard that's because "they're one of ours ain't they".

GeorgieBoy

Funny thing is that I have 4 Asian mates who are season ticket holders at Millwall. They don't get any abuse but I'd hazard that's because "they're one of ours ain't they".
Yeah you hear it all the time with the EDL when they talk about their non-white supporters.
"Yeah he's black/brown but he gets it and he's a sound lad the rest should be like them"...

Addled

The video of the kids is both shocking and depressing. You can only hope that they escaped her influence in time.

Rob

Supports
Liverpool

Speaking of Millwall fans..

AndOr Hererra

Millwall is my local club, im 18, black african and went to school in Bermondsey. What i've seemed to notice is that away from football, even some of the most die-hard fans are 'normal' however when you group them together it's like they lose all sense of...sense. The area Bermondsey in itself is pretty normal, to call it wealthy would be a stretch but considering it's close to areas such as Peckham, Walworth and New Cross, its hard for me, as a local, to see it as deprived, although i think that says more about South London as a whole.

The weirdest thing is despite all the racist abuse i've heard from Millwall fans, i don't think many ARE racist. It's hard to believe i know, but from what i've seen many of them see it as a joke or harmless banter. Another thing i've noticed is that it's ingrained in them from young, Millwall fans i went secondary school with were pretty much just wannabe thugs with high pitched voices.

EDIT: I will say this, i can only speak of what i've seen in the past 3-4 years, i know historically Millwall are a vile club.

MrPooni

Their racist chants aren't even intelligent. Did it not occur to them that one is a region and one is a country of origin? Also I find the work paki being censored hilarious as an asian british. That's a normal word to most of us and someone using it as an insult doesn't make all that much sense (its just a way to shorten pakistani, it's not an insult in many people's view). It's a bit like the latin word 'negro', it's either a neutral term or a term of endearment, it's not an insult unless its worded very specifically.
I'm British Asian and think you're talking absolute rubbish here but each to his own.