Miscellaneous Reserve/Youth News

Bojan Djordjic

What are people's views of Forson. I remember when United picked him up he was really highly regarded but I always get the impression that he blows a bit hot and cold.

lysglimt

Scout
What are people's views of Forson. I remember when United picked him up he was really highly regarded but I always get the impression that he blows a bit hot and cold.
I like him - he will go far, but I feel he lack that little extra to make it here. You just have to be very special to make it here - Elanga was better for the reserves than Forson is and he is still far away from being a first-team regular.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Think he’ll end up floating somewhere between the championship and league one, which is a very respectable career.

khoazany

Been injured a fair bit here and there every season. I think he has been taking a good stride recently after coming back from injury again so let’s see. His numbers for the U21s seems to be better than the 18s for some reasons.

Shoretire, Hannibal and Mainoo not being there are good for the likes of Forson and Hansen as it forces them to take more responsibilities and being the main threats offensively in midfield.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
Results wise we've been doing very well in both of the youth league. Both are ravaged by loans/injuries but are getting the results.

Beaucoup

Been injured a fair bit here and there every season. I think he has been taking a good stride recently after coming back from injury again so let’s see. His numbers for the U21s seems to be better than the 18s for some reasons.

Shoretire, Hannibal and Mainoo not being there are good for the likes of Forson and Hansen as it forces them to take more responsibilities and being the main threats offensively in midfield.
No surprise, he didn't suit Binnion's work horse style of football in the U18's

lysglimt

Scout
I want to praise our young players a bit today. When we played (and destroyed) Newcastle 3-0 we started with the following players:
Harrison, Kingdon, Jackson, Munro, Kamason, Berry, Nolan, Fitzgerald, Scanlon, Musa, Williams

If we had fielded our strongest team - including players promoted to U21 and injured players - realistically only 2 of these players would have started (Jackson and Harrison who seems to be preferred to Hanbury)

In defence - no Fredricsson, Ogunneye, Murray, Lawrence and Aljofree
in midfield - no Gore, Oyedele, McAllister, Moorhouse, Curley and Mainoo
in attack - no Mather, Ennis, Sharpe, Norkett, Wheatley and Missin (perhaps not so strange that he was Missin with that name)

We are talking about 17 outfield-players (I might even have left someone out) who could have started against Newcastle - and the team is still near the top of the table. It'a an insane achievment, and something people should take into consideration when giving the U18s stick.

footballbite

I want to praise our young players a bit today. When we played (and destroyed) Newcastle 3-0 we started with the following players:
Harrison, Kingdon, Jackson, Munro, Kamason, Berry, Nolan, Fitzgerald, Scanlon, Musa, Williams

If we had fielded our strongest team - including players promoted to U21 and injured players - realistically only 2 of these players would have started (Jackson and Harrison who seems to be preferred to Hanbury)

in attack - no Mather, Ennis, Sharpe, Norkett, Wheatley and Missin (perhaps not so strange that he was Missin with that name)

We are talking about 17 outfield-players (I might even have left someone out) who could have started against Newcastle - and the team is still near the top of the table. It'a an insane achievment, and something people should take into consideration when giving the U18s stick.
Who'd have been the first-choice RB ahead of Nolan?

I thought Nolan was quite well regarded and has seemed promising of late.

lysglimt

Scout
Who'd have been the first-choice RB ahead of Nolan?

I thought Nolan was quite well regarded and has seemed promising of late.
Nolan isn't even used as a RB with all the other players out. He simply isn't good enough defensively to play RB, so it has made a lot more sense to play him in midfield. But I would guess either use Jackson as RB with Aljofree/Fredricson centrally or Ogunneye. Kamason played there in the last game, and was really good going forward.

King Kendrick

Supports
Eredivisie
Randumb question but curious for the answer: at what age group are the youths not allowed to miss out on training/games anymore for general life events (funeral/wedding/etc.)?

oskarutd

Randumb question but curious for the answer: at what age group are the youths not allowed to miss out on training/games anymore for general life events (funeral/wedding/etc.)?
Even senior players and at United and Ferguson have missed games for those reasons.

King Kendrick

Supports
Eredivisie
Even senior players and at United and Ferguson have missed games for those reasons.
I was too broad with my original examples, but more so events geared towards kids like friend/family birthdays, finals at school and smaller things of that sort (Neymar and his sister excluded) :lol: The question is more about when do you stop being a kid and more training like an adult type as a general expectation at youth levels, doesnt have to be united exclusive.

lysglimt

Scout
if you ask Gary Neville - from the age of 3

Kostov

What's the youth sides striker that would theoretically be closest to a first team debut? I know Hugill and McNeill are out on loan or otherwise they would be lined up. It's been a while since we've had a proper striker come up and maybe provide an option.

Varun1

What's the youth sides striker that would theoretically be closest to a first team debut? I know Hugill and McNeill are out on loan or otherwise they would be lined up. It's been a while since we've had a proper striker come up and maybe provide an option.
We had one just a few years ago mate.

Remember the geese

I'd imagine that Hugill is technically closest due to him not actually being out on loan. He has been in scoring form recently for the under 21's also. However, neither are anywhere near ready for the first team. It's likely that they never will be.

Kostov

I'd imagine that Hugill is technically closest due to him not actually being out on loan. He has been in scoring form recently for the under 21's also. However, neither are anywhere near ready for the first team. It's likely that they never will be.
Yes I've read that he will play on loan and for the youth teams also. You never know who's ready until a proper chance is given.

Remember the geese

Yes I've read that he will play on loan and for the youth teams also. You never know who's ready until a proper chance is given.
Yeah, I should have clarified that technically he is still available to play for the youth as well as Altrincham.

In some cases I agree, though more often than not it's quite clear that a player isn't ready for the first team.

lysglimt

Scout
It's a bit strange because we rarely have good strikers in the U18 and U21s, but when we finally get one - they usually go much further than our other players (Wilson, Macheda, Greenwood, Rashford).

Grande

Thanks, I hadn’t realized we have so many not playing. How many are loans and how many are injuries?

Prodigal7

There’s an u19 game set up against Barca due to take place just before the senior game. Should be a good test for those involved.

top1whoisman

Meet the press(conference)
Scout
Barca U19 won 3-1. Williams scored for us. Their goals by Marc Guiu, 15-year old wonderkid Lamine Yamal and an own goal by Toby Collyer. Ronaldinho's 17-year old (18 in a week) son João Mendes made his unofficial debut for the Barca U19s.

Looks like the United starting XI was something like this:

Vitek; Jurado, Jackson(C), Aljofree/Fredricson, Murray; Collyer, Huddlestone; Forson, Gore, Hansen-Aarøen; Hugill

Subs in (plenty more but only spotted these): Harrison; Kingdon, Nolan; Williams, Musa

Last edited:

Gungerz

Barca U19 won 3-1. Williams scored for us. Their goals by Marc Guiu, 15-year old wonderkid Lamine Yamal and an own goal by Toby Collyer. Ronaldinho's 17-year old (18 in a week) son João Mendes made his unofficial debut for the Barca U19s.

Vitek; Jurado, Jackson(C), Aljofree/Fredricson, Murray; Collyer, Huddlestone; Forson, Gore, Hansen-Aarøen; Hugill

Subs in (plenty more but only spotted these): Harrison; Kingdon, Nolan; Williams, Musa

The starting team was: Vitek; Jurado (c), Collyer, Aljofree, Murray; Huddlestone, Gore; Williams, Hansen-Aarøen, Forson; Hugill

Score was 1-1 at HT with our goal scored by Ethan Williams. In the second half United made numerous changes & had a significantly younger side who ended up conceding two goals in the final 5 minutes.

Harrison, Nolan, Jackson, Musa (u16), Kamason (u16), Berry, Scanlon (u16), Kingdon, Devaney (u16), Mantato (u15), & Munro (u16) were among those who played in the second half.

Bigsid

Good to see a 36 year old playing against a schoolboy!

top1whoisman

Meet the press(conference)
Scout
The starting team was: Vitek; Jurado (c), Collyer, Aljofree, Murray; Huddlestone, Gore; Williams, Hansen-Aarøen, Forson; Hugill

Score was 1-1 at HT with our goal scored by Ethan Williams. In the second half United made numerous changes & had a significantly younger side who ended up conceding two goals in the final 5 minutes.

Harrison, Nolan, Jackson, Musa (u16), Kamason (u16), Berry, Scanlon (u16), Kingdon, Devaney (u16), Mantato (u15), & Munro (u16) were among those who played in the second half.
Close enough :lol: Thanks for the info!

lysglimt

Scout
Thanks, I hadn’t realized we have so many not playing. How many are loans and how many are injuries?
Well many of them have been moved to the U21 to cover for players out on loan - but a bunch are injured. The ones I know that are injured: Lawrence, Ogunneye, Curley, Ennis, McAllister and I think Moorhouse - probably more as well

SmashedHombre

Memberus Anonymous & Legendus
But the first team coaches have made him a winger that's why I overlooked him.
He wasn't made a winger. He was being eased into the team and the league because he was a teenager. I've absolutely no doubt the longterm intention was for him to be our number 9 for many years.

Mr. MUJAC

Manchester United Youth Historian

My contacts tell me this is basically correct. Huddlestone played centre-half and virtually all the subs came on with 20 mins to go with the score 1-1.

Barcelona scored from two free kicks within a few minutes of each other.

Jacob Devaney has just returned from a long-term injury and it was his first involvement at this level.

Mr. MUJAC

Manchester United Youth Historian

Plus Harrison Parker and Willy Kambwala...

Grande

Well many of them have been moved to the U21 to cover for players out on loan - but a bunch are injured. The ones I know that are injured: Lawrence, Ogunneye, Curley, Ennis, McAllister and I think Moorhouse - probably more as well
Thanks. That’s a whole lot of injuries for a bunch of teenagers. Makes one wonder if it’s just coincidental or some systematic factor taking effect.