Miscellaneous Reserve/Youth News

Bigsid

Guess it makes sense with low wages as we lost and haven't replaced Kovář, but ultimately he's never going to be good enough for United.

Could say that about pretty much every player. In the last 40 years have we produced a goalkeeper who starts regularly for our first team? Over time we produce maybe one homegrown first team player that plays over a handful of PL games every few years. Given the current situation with the first team it will be very difficult to create opportunites for young players. We can hopefully sell a few on. Would be good to get more money for players produced to keep it sustainable going forward.

In Rainbows

We've had a good run with keepers though, but obviously not to the point where he plays for United's first team. Gollini in Serie A, Henderson in PL, and now we'll see how Kovar does in the Bundesliga.

top1whoisman

Meet the press(conference)
Scout
We've had a good run with keepers though, but obviously not to the point where he plays for United's first team. Gollini in Serie A, Henderson in PL, and now we'll see how Kovar does in the Bundesliga.
Ron-Robert Zieler - Hannover captain, 6 caps for Germany
Tom Heaton - 3 caps for England
Sam Johnstone - 3 caps for England
Kieran O'Hara - 2 caps for Ireland

Gungerz

Can't be overstated how rare & difficult it is for top clubs to produce starting keepers from their academy.

There's maybe a handful of examples in the past 10-15 years.

Archer

Gollini was a member of Serie A winner last season and also has 1 cap for Italy.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
My friend’s son, Nehemiah Oriola has just left United and signed for Brighton.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
Jurado has joined Espanyol, confirmed.

Seems to be a purge in u23s.
Savage, Iqbal, Laird, Kovar, Jurado, Emeran, Hardley all gone.

khoazany

And Mengi.

Almost all "older" U23s players are gone apart from Hannibal, Fernandez and Mejia who we are probably patient with his development given how long he had been out injured.

top1whoisman

Scout
Looks like our ex-keeper Jacob Carney, who has been on a trial back at the club, has re-joined United. He was training with the first team today wearing Mastný's former number 60.

jonesdafydd

Of course, it's never nice to see academy players leave but I think the club has done the right thing this window. Players who aren't quite good enough (at this moment in time) get a fresh start and some security knowing they are permanently at a club. I made a comment a few weeks ago that I felt the U21s could be in trouble this season but after this window I don't feel so as much. I've got faith in the U18s that will be promoted up and it looks like Hugill, Maxi, Gore and Isak are all staying. Also got to factor in the likes of Ennis and Fredricson eventually coming back into the fold.

top1whoisman

Scout
64’

Mee on for Harrison.

68’

Williams on for Forson.

72’

5-4…

Last edited:

Bertie Wooster

Was only following the scores, but crazy effort to let slip a 5-0 lead against Sunderland.

Why was Harrison taken off after the 3 goals in 10 minutes - anything to do with the goals conceded or has he picked up an injury?

Gungerz

James Scanlon has been called up to Gibraltar's U21s for their upcoming European Championship qualifier against Georgia.

They also have a set of U15 fixtures coming up so there could possibly a first involvement for his younger brother Luca, who's a club U14.

top1whoisman

Scout
James Scanlon has been called up to Gibraltar's U21s for their upcoming European Championship qualifier against Georgia.

They also have a set of U15 fixtures coming up so there could possibly a first involvement for his younger brother Luca, who's a club U14.
That’s a very good and challenging environment for James. U21 internationals are very high level games. And Georgia one of the best European countries at youth level currently.

top1whoisman

Scout
Binnion after losing the five goal lead:
“We’ve said in there that shows where we’re at as a group. You can’t be as good as what we were and effectively be flat-track bullies…play on your terms, better than the opposition, got better players and then crumble when it gets tough. That’s not acceptable for me, for the staff, for the football club. It’s nowhere near the level.”

• Would it be a fair assessment to call that, somewhat, a reality check after scoring 10 & winning so convincingly last time?
”Well, yeah. When you’re 5-0 up as well you should be home and dry.”

“It’s more than a reality check. It’s serious, very serious.”
“What we need to do & what the players need to understand is what is required of playing, not even at the highest level, just a really good level of professional football. The highest level is a level beyond that and we’re way short.”

• Isak (Hansen-Aarøen) had a chance at the end to put the game beyond all reasonable doubt. Is it too harsh to look at that as a sole moment which could’ve changed the game? Or was part of the damage already done before then?
“I think ultimately if he gets put into that situation he should expect to score, we expect to score & that is the game over.”

“In isolation that’s not the reason we’ve gone from 5-0 to 5-5. But it is 30 seconds where we missed the chance & missed two tackles…that’s where we’re at as a group.”
“The main thing is making the group understand what’s required to be a high level, professional footballer.”

“Often, it will not come down to technical ability & what they do with the ball. It’ll come down to what’s in here (points to head) and what’s in here (points to heart). We were found wanting in that 2nd half.”

Last edited:

top1whoisman

Scout
Looks like our ex-keeper Jacob Carney, who has been on a trial back at the club, has re-joined United. He was training with the first team today wearing Mastný's former number 60.
Scratch that. He’s joined Castellón. Well done, Jacob!

top1whoisman

Scout
Was only following the scores, but crazy effort to let slip a 5-0 lead against Sunderland.

Why was Harrison taken off after the 3 goals in 10 minutes - anything to do with the goals conceded or has he picked up an injury?
Probably not an injury, or at least a serious one, as he’s with the England U18 squad this week.

Just watched the highlights. Not much he could do about the goals. Defensive mistakes and a wonder strike.

Last edited: