Miscellaneous Reserve/Youth News

Gungerz

The U18s will once again be competing in two indoor tournaments out in Germany early next month, the REWE Junior Cup & the Mercedes-Benz Junior Cup.

Our squad for the REWE Junior Cup is:

Elyh Harrison, Cameron Byrne-Hughes; Louis Jackson, Godwill Kukonki, Albert Mills, Reece Munro; Zach Baumann, Jacob Devaney, Jim Thwaites; Ashton Missin, James Scanlon, Victor Musa

Winger11

Has anyone heard of Amir Ibragimov recently? A lot of hype last season - U18 appearance, training sessions with 1st team and no news after.

Last edited:

Gungerz

Has anyone heard of Amir Ibragimov recently? A lot of hype last season - U18 appearance, training sessions with 1st team and no news after.
Had been out for the entire season with a fractured spine but made his return a couple of weeks ago.

Gungerz

Short video from the Premier League on our U12s who were at the Christmas Truce Tournament in Belgium recently. They finished 5th with 5 wins (Norwich, Genk, Lyon, West Brom, Eintracht Frankfurt) & two losses (Wolves & Brighton).

Although, the main aspect of the tournament is the education and in fact the three clubs with the best educational projects earned qualification for the tournament, which is a nice concept.

https://www.premierleague.com/news/3830455

Demaw

Had been out for the entire season with a fractured spine but made his return a couple of weeks ago.
What is it with these injuries? Willy arrives and gets hurt straight away, Amir is a gun and now this?? Mejia was the same as Willy, a lot of the top kids seem to get badly injured?

Bojan Djordjic

What is it with these injuries? Willy arrives and gets hurt straight away, Amir is a gun and now this?? Mejia was the same as Willy, a lot of the top kids seem to get badly injured?
I can't imagine a cracked spine can be attributed to anything other than bad luck. Youth teamers have had terrible luck though even going back to the likes of Tuanzebe, Fosu-Mensah and Laird who all had quite high ceilings before their injuries.

Demaw

I can't imagine a cracked spine can be attributed to anything other than bad luck. Youth teamers have had terrible luck though even going back to the likes of Tuanzebe, Fosu-Mensah and Laird who all had quite high ceilings before their injuries.
Yes mate, I was trying to remember other star junior names that got injured. I know both of us have watched the academy for decades. I was a real fan of Laird but he stopped/started all the time. Pretty sad. I was excited about Mejia who came with huge potential and I watched his first game?? at The Cliff?? with the large wall/building at the back of the goals?? and he scored and looked quality then bang, long term injury.

Gungerz

The U18s will once again be competing in two indoor tournaments out in Germany early next month, the REWE Junior Cup & the Mercedes-Benz Junior Cup.

Our squad for the REWE Junior Cup is:

Elyh Harrison, Cameron Byrne-Hughes; Louis Jackson, Godwill Kukonki, Albert Mills, Reece Munro; Zach Baumann, Jacob Devaney, Jim Thwaites; Ashton Missin, James Scanlon, Victor Musa
Squad has been changed slightly.

Myles & Wooster have replaced Harrison & Byrne-Hughes, who will now presumably be going to the other tournament, and U15 Rafe McCormack has replaced Godwill Kukonki.

Varun1

Sami Mokbel reporting that Derby want Charlie Savage. The lad must be doing something right.

Mickson

Is he actually not playing that well then?
Was just trying to be funny. Unfortunately, he has some trouble getting on the team now. A bit surprised if Derby are interested with that in mind, but I'm sure he can be a League One player in the future.

Gungerz

REWE Junior Cup stream. United have two games this evening against Eichsfeld-Mitte (20:00) and Hansa Rostock (20:55).

KevinJoh

We won first game 7:1 against Eichsfeld (conceded own goal ridiculous one, and our goalscorers Scanlon, Musa (2), Jackson, Mills, Thwaites and Devaney).
Against Hansa we were 2 down and won 4:2. Goals Scanlon, Baumann 2 and Jackson.
Tomorrow we are playing JSG Nörten at 11:30, JFV 37 13:45, Düsseldorf 15:57, FC Gleichen 17:55

In Rainbows

Did Devaney play up an age group faster than some of his teammates when he was younger? That's how I remembered watching the youth tournaments of a few years ago. Seems like that stopped being the case last season or possibly before that. Anybody know?

khoazany

Looks like we are at least approaching the tournament with a plan. McCormack as the alternative GK that plays through balls had been very useful.

Pericles

Scanlon having the time of his life so far with his finishing. Thwaites also quite tidy on the ball.

Bertie Wooster

Is it on MUTV?
No, but it's on YouTube. Type in Mercedes* Junior Cup 2024 Live and it's on there (with German commentary, but the images are clear enough).

*I've edited that as I thought it was a continuation of yesterday's tournament.

Last edited:

Gungerz

Lost their opening Mercedes Junior Cup game 4-1 against Union Berlin, although scoreline not really a fair reflection of the game. McAllister with the goal.

Squad: Harrison, Kingdon, Nolan, Amass, Bailey, McAllister, Mantato, Missin, Biancheri, Wheatley

Bertie Wooster

Lost their opening Mercedes Junior Cup game 4-1 against Union Berlin, although scoreline not really a fair reflection of the game. McAllister with the goal.

Squad: Harrison, Kingdon, Nolan, Amass, Bailey, McAllister, Mantato, Missin, Biancheri, Wheatley
Ah, thanks. It's the Mercedes Junior Cup today, is it? I thought it was a continuation of yesterday's Rewe Junior Cup - no wonder I was struggling to find it! :lol:

Bertie Wooster

Ah, thanks. It's the Mercedes Junior Cup today, is it? I thought it was a continuation of yesterday's Rewe Junior Cup - no wonder I was struggling to find it! :lol:
Actually, have you got a link to it as when I go on YouTube it seems to redirect me to something that I need to be a subscriber for? Or did you click on the Free Trial?

Gungerz

Actually, have you got a link to it as when I go on YouTube it seems to redirect me to something that I need to be a subscriber for? Or did you click on the Free Trial?
The Mercedes tournament is streamed on their website: https://mercedes-benz-juniorcup.de/de/tournament

It's being a little slow for me so you might have to wait a minute or two but it will eventually pop up in the corner.

Gungerz

U16s beat Liverpool 5-3 today. Louie Bradbury, Majid Balogun & Amir Ibragimov (goal below) amongst the scorers.

Last edited:

Bertie Wooster

U16s beat Liverpool 5-3 today. Louie Bradbury, Majid Balogun & Amir Ibragimov (goal below) amongst the scorers.

That's good news.

And I saw United's 2nd group game at the Mercedes Cup - a comfortable 4-0 win. I had the sound off, but I know McAliister, Wheatley and Nolan scored 3 of them.

Pericles

Wheatley is too sulky and temperamental for a player of his mediocre talent. Plus his finishing can be awful.

Last edited:

KevinJoh

Rewe tournament we lost in QF against Hannover 96 3:1
Merzedes we are playing Brondby later on for 5th place.

Mickson

Wheatley is too sulky and temperamental for a player of his mediocre talent. Plus his finishing can be awful.
He did a Rashford against Newcastle in one game. Just stopped running and playing after losing a ball. A death sin in these kinds of games as you lose one, you are pretty much certain to concede a goal.

Rafe McCormack did well I think in the Rewe Cup. Very good with the ball and made some nice passes. Would like to see more of him in the U18.

Pericles

He did a Rashford against Newcastle in one game. Just stopped running and playing after losing a ball. A death sin in these kinds of games as you lose one, you are pretty much certain to concede a goal.

Rafe McCormack did well I think in the Rewe Cup. Very good with the ball and made some nice passes. Would like to see more of him in the U18.
McCormack was quite impressive with his touch and technique. It would be interesting to see how he develops physically.