Miscellaneous Reserve/Youth News

saik

Great stop by the Forest GK from the header from Munro but the ball still ends up in the back of the net. Great free kick from Amass to set up the goal.

As I type that, Forest get one back. 2-1 now.

Gungerz

I thought he was supposed to be a talented attacker wasn't he? Has he moved back into midfield?
Was a winger when he was a bit younger but just doesn't have the pace. Had already been moved back into a more creative midfield role when he was with us.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
Was a winger when he was a bit younger but just doesn't have the pace. Had already been moved back into a more creative midfield role when he was with us.
Fair enough, makes sense for him to move on then perhaps given the abundance of central midfield talent at the club at the minute.

lysglimt

Scout
Musa putting the ball over the bar from 3 yards out - oh dear. 2-2 at the moment.

Mickson

Another pretty mild performance. Very lightweight upfront. Wheatley gets a lot of criticism but he can have one leg and he still gets in this team.

Bertie Wooster

Not a great performance, and disappointing to lose a 2-0 lead, but at least the unbeaten league start continues.

Shame in a way that watching the very enjoyable, well functioning team of the first half of the season had to end, but that's obviously youth football and good for those youngsters to step up to the U21's now. But it was fun while it lasted.

Looking at the table, we still have a very comfortable cushion - though City could get within 7 points if they win their games in hand (and we have them coming up away soon) so the current group could do with picking up some wins just to ensure we don't end up in a real battle with them for top spot by the end of the season. A win at home to Middlesbrough in the next match would help take pressure off the upcoming game away at City, whereas more dropped points ahead of it would suddenly make that an even bigger game.

Not that results matter much at this level, etc. :)

Mickson

Not a great performance, and disappointing to lose a 2-0 lead, but at least the unbeaten league start continues.

Shame in a way that watching the very enjoyable, well functioning team of the first half of the season had to end, but that's obviously youth football and good for those youngsters to step up to the U21's now. But it was fun while it lasted.

Looking at the table, we still have a very comfortable cushion - though City could get within 7 points if they win their games in hand (and we have them coming up away soon) so the current group could do with picking up some wins just to ensure we don't end up in a real battle with them for top spot by the end of the season. A win at home to Middlesbrough in the next match would help take pressure off the upcoming game away at City, whereas more dropped points ahead of it would suddenly make that an even bigger game.

Out of curiosity, how do you know that? How has Toby Collyer's development been? Sam Murray? James Nolan? Has it benefitted them, or stalled them? I'm just asking because I'm not sure, but to me, it just looks like they tread water.

Bigsid

United will easily win it. Good for ua to get aone silverware. City won it last year playing 17s and arent going full tilt this year. They will win the Youth cup i would imagine comfortably.

Bertie Wooster

Out of curiosity, how do you know that? How has Toby Collyer's development been? Sam Murray? James Nolan? Has it benefitted them, or stalled them? I'm just asking because I'm not sure, but to me, it just looks like they tread water.
Oh, yeah, didn't intend it to mean 'I know for sure that it'll be good for these particular players, at this particular time', etc.

Just a figure of speech, really. I assume players want opportunities at the next stage up in their progression. So just meant it's good for them (i.e. they'll be pleased) to be stepping up to the next level with the U21's. Whether they kick on from there is obviously a different matter. Hopefully at least some will, though as you say history also suggests that some will likely stagnate as well.

Mickson

So we have a famous loan deal with Rochdale, Macclesfield, and Altrincham for a few players. None of them have been in the squad so far. The funny thing: second season in a row that Aljofree has gone to Altrincham on loan, and he's yet to play a game for them. Great management.

lysglimt

Scout
Another pretty mild performance. Very lightweight upfront. Wheatley gets a lot of criticism but he can have one leg and he still gets in this team.
Well - Biancheri did his job by being involved in both goals. But if his overall play is good enough -that is a completely different question. The main problem yesterday was the other midfielders/attacking players. Only McAllister had a consistently good game - Missin was ok in short bursts, but very anonymous for long periods. As for someone like Victor Musa - he adds nothing to the team. He lacks pace, he has zero goal-threat, he is not very technical. And even Curley had a very poor game.

khoazany

So we have a famous loan deal with Rochdale, Macclesfield, and Altrincham for a few players. None of them have been in the squad so far. The funny thing: second season in a row that Aljofree has gone to Altrincham on loan, and he's yet to play a game for them. Great management.
They can still play/train with us so it's like an added bonus being involved in a senior environment, with less U21s games going forward until end of season. Altrincham is a promotion candidate, it's not that obvious that Aljofree can break into that team. Last year he was still eligible for the U18s, and it's clear that out of the 3 that went to Altrincham he was the least rated.

I think it's a fine arrangement. If we (and the League Two clubs) think he's ready to play regularly at that level he would have got a full-time loan over there. This is as close as you can get to that level with enough safety net of game times since he can still play for the U21s.

For the other loans, with Mather trained with the first team quite a few times recently I doubt he even spent much time with Rochdale yet if at all. Seems to be the case of having flexibility more than a strict loan arrangement. This is still his first year with the U21s after missing a year or more due to injury, there is no rush. Same case with Murray here.

Last edited:

stealthy

United will easily win it. Good for ua to get aone silverware. City won it last year playing 17s and arent going full tilt this year. They will win the Youth cup i would imagine comfortably.
What makes you think City will win what is a more elite competition but are so far behind in the league? Genuine question as you seem to have good knowledge of both groups? If they win their games in hand and beat us away then the lead will be down to 4pts, you don’t think they can claw that back or are not bothered based on selections?

you got some stick on here mate when we beat them a few weeks back in what looked like a fairly even contest?

Gungerz

U14s qualified for the PL International Tournament today. They drew 0-0 against Arsenal (the best side in the country), beat Derby 3-1 & then Reading 5-2 to secure qualification.

They were one of 9 English sides to qualify & then I believe the remaining 3 will be invited clubs from abroad.

Bigsid

What makes you think City will win what is a more elite competition but are so far behind in the league? Genuine question as you seem to have good knowledge of both groups? If they win their games in hand and beat us away then the lead will be down to 4pts, you don’t think they can claw that back or are not bothered based on selections?

you got some stick on here mate when we beat them a few weeks back in what looked like a fairly even contest?
Afraid its my job to watch! Only 3 players that started in what i would consider to be their strongest youth cup side that played West Ham played in the game in the league. The likes of Grant. Carrington. Pusey. Ndala. Oboavwoduo. Wright didnt play and you will see they dont play at all in the 18s league. Those players are far superior to what we have in the 18s as you will see when they move on. You dont see their players on loan at non league clubs though i would agree that our current under 17s are of a good level (though there is a natural propensity to get over excited on this forum). I fully expect our 18s to win the League and City to win the Youth cup.

Prodigal7

Afraid its my job to watch! Only 3 players that started in what i would consider to be their strongest youth cup side that played West Ham played in the game in the league. The likes of Grant. Carrington. Pusey. Ndala. Oboavwoduo. Wright didnt play and you will see they dont play at all in the 18s league. Those players are far superior to what we have in the 18s as you will see when they move on. You dont see their players on loan at non league clubs though i would agree that our current under 17s are of a good level (though there is a natural propensity to get over excited on this forum). I fully expect our 18s to win the League and City to win the Youth cup.
Fletcher, Amass, Lacey, Fitzgerald are regulars for England u17s when fit and beyond those you listed at city.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Fletcher, Amass, Lacey, Fitzgerald are regulars for England u17s when fit and beyond those you listed at city.
@Bigsid is notoriously incredibly negative regarding United and incredibly positive regarding City. It's clear he's got some level of involvement somewhere. But we're consistently promoting youth players to the first team and those who leave are consistently flourishing so things are nowhere near as bad as he makes out.

Bigsid

Balanced would be the word. Citys academy is run for a slightly different purpose and the 400 million generated over the last decade is testament to that. We make very little on those that leave in comparison to others but am sure Ashworth et al will sort that out. The players you list are 2007 England players. Not sure they would be 'beyond' given some of the above are 05/06 internationals and played in the first team but guess its open to interpretation. We have some excellent u17 prospects, less so in the u18s and you are correct we are better at promoting them into our first team (though the respective levels differ).

Bertie Wooster

Balanced would be the word. Citys academy is run for a slightly different purpose and the 400 million generated over the last decade is testament to that. We make very little on those that leave in comparison to others but am sure Ashworth et al will sort that out. The players you list are 2007 England players. Not sure they would be 'beyond' given some of the above are 05/06 internationals and played in the first team but guess its open to interpretation. 7 have some excellent u17 prospects, less so in the u18s and you are correct we are better at promoting them into our first team (though the respective levels differ).
Haven't we also been better at promoting academy talent to the first team during our own eras of dominance?

So despite the little dig implying it's harder to get into City's trophy winning team - we've built many a trophy winning team with plenty of academy talent in it over the years. It isn't either / or (not with us, anyway).

Bigsid

Haven't we also been better at promoting academy talent to the first team during our own eras of dominance?

So despite the little dig implying it's harder to get into City's trophy winning team - we've built many a trophy winning team with plenty of academy talent in it over the years. It isn't either / or (not with us, anyway).
As impressive as that was im afraid the financial lanscape has changed substantially in the last 15 years. Be tough for any Manager competing for Champions Leagues to have 3 or 4 academy graduates in.

saik

Not sure if its live to watch on MUTV but the u21s lineup for todays match against City u21s. Interesting that Harrison isn't on the bench here. Didn't play for the u18s either. Maybe I've missed any news regarding him?

Prodigal7

Not sure if its live to watch on MUTV but the u21s lineup for todays match against City u21s. Interesting that Harrison isn't on the bench here. Didn't play for the u18s either. Maybe I've missed any news regarding him?

Yeah that wasn’t the line up I’d been anticipating. I wonder what they’re doing with Fletcher, Fitzgerald etc. Perhaps allowing them some first team training at the club or elsewhere as part of the deal we have with some lower league clubs?

I’m sure they’re doing what’s best for the lads.

Prodigal7

Wheatley scores to make it 1-0 against City.

Just seen their position in the league and there’s no way they don’t get relegated :lol: ‘Elite’ Development Squad my arse

inflikted

Supports
Europa Point FC

Just seen their position in the league and there’s no way they don’t get relegated :lol: ‘Elite’ Development Squad my arse
There is no relegation in PL2 anymore, they're using "Swiss style" to encourage teams to work on developing players rather than simply getting results.

Gungerz

There is no relegation anymore, they removed it.

saik

Incoming comment from a certain someone on why in 3...2...

To be fair, I jest but I'm actually curious on why they are doing so poorly. I saw the table and noticed we were in midtable with Tottenham, Arsenal and Liverpool near the top and was thinking where the feck are City until I scrolled towards the bottom. :lol:

Prodigal7

Incoming comment from a certain someone on why in 3...2...

To be fair, I jest but I'm actually curious on why they are doing so poorly. I saw the table and noticed we were in midtable with Tottenham, Arsenal and Liverpool near the top and was thinking where the feck are City until I scrolled towards the bottom. :lol:
I’m sure city just play their u8s in all the matches and whilst they dominate possession, the physicality of the older lads scrapes through in the end…
There is no relegation anymore, they removed it.
That’s a shame, still hilarious that city have 8 points from 14 matches :lol:

khoazany

Wonder if we indeed do view Scanlon as an early developer. Starts for the U21s as a first-year U18s (and not the first time even) whilst all the higher rated names in the same age group haven't.

inflikted

Supports
Europa Point FC
Wonder if we indeed do view Scanlon as an early developer. Starts for the U21s as a first-year U18s (and not the first time even) whilst all the higher rated names in the same age group haven't.
I dunno I just hope England don't call him up for the youth teams, it's strangely entertaining seeing a Manchester United player lining up for Gibraltar.

lysglimt

Scout
I dunno I just hope England don't call him up for the youth teams, it's strangely entertaining seeing a Manchester United player lining up for Gibraltar.
Reminds me of the time we had Ioannou who was from Cyprus :)

inflikted

Supports
Europa Point FC
Reminds me of the time we had Ioannou who was from Cyprus :)
I'm actually interested to know what the lowest ranked national team to be represented by an (at the time) current Man Utd player is. Gibraltar surely has to be up (down?) there, as I don't think any players have appeared for a team like San Marino or Montserrat while playing for United - also Montserrat have shot up the world rankings since Willie Donachie and then Lee Bowyer took over. But Matty Willock had already left United before he accepted a call-up.

But since is my last allowed post today, I can't engage in conversation anymore until midnight so best of luck to the lads.