Mitten: Manchester United MUST put money back into Old Trafford

ghagua

Stadium could do with an upgrade. It does look outdated when compared to other stadiums that are being built.

MrPooni

Everyone jonesing over the Barcelona redevelopment needs to realise that as things stand Camp Nou is a complete and utter shithole, especially compared to Old Trafford so they quite literally have to invest in and around their ground to keep up with other European giants. Old Trafford on the other hand just needs to sort out some of the older infrastructure, like the leaky roofing and the disjointed nature of the South Stand. Some of our executive facilities are ancient too but that's not exactly a priority to me. This idea that we need to knock it down and build some garish, gimmicky new structure in its place is fecking absurd.

Spoony

The People's President
Old Trafford is made to 60s' specifications. You'd have to knock it down to make a truly state of the art (it's hardly Wrigley Field in terms of aesthetics). We own the land around the stadium so anything's possible, I guess. But I can't see it happening... money's rolling in, why would the Glazers change things... aside from more exec seating above the South Stand??

pascell

The toilets and facilities for us peasant fans (never been corporate so can't comment) are a joke for the 'biggest club in the world'.

Little things like the hand dryers, just put some fecking Dyson ones in FFS, probably make money from sponsorship in some capacity.
Wouldn't mind if they put them at the right height, in the SAF stand toilets they're half way up the wall. Walk out looking like you've pissed yourself whenever you use them.

van Nistelrooy

I'm a huge admirer of Old Trafford and the stadium is one of the reasons why I fell in love with Manchester United. I like to think I'm still relatively young and I hope United never move grounds in my lifetime. Just look at the likes of the Emirates, Allianz... even Wembley. They're all so bland and look pretty much the same.

The South Stand should be the priority to be extended to complete the bowl-like look. We could look to redevelop the ground externally like Real and Barca once the capacity is increased again. However, I do agree. Something has to be done about leg room. I sat in the East Stand lower a few weeks ago and the seat in front of me was constantly digging in to my shins when I was sat.

It would be good to see the club invest in businesses around the ground too, considering they own so much land.

Klopp_De_Klown

When the club is back to winning titles and challenging in the latter stages of the Champions League then Old Trafford should be improved, but not until then.

The money needs to be focused on improving the squad first.
At the size United are you never spend your own money. They will raise funds by floating or some other way and borrow the majority of it. United will never be debt free. Its not how businesses are run when they are that big. It may be a balancing act to invest on the pitch and service the debt but thats what they will do as they have done for years already. The fact that we can and have done both already for years. You should not be too concerned about Uniteds owners and funds. Despite the false impression sky try to make out. They really are a well ran club. Its not for nothing we continue to grow year on year especially in our leanest years.

Stadium could do with an upgrade. It does look outdated when compared to other stadiums that are being built.
Think its already on the cards buddy, more a case of when than if it will be done.

ti vu

Wouldn't mind if they put them at the right height, in the SAF stand toilets they're half way up the wall. Walk out looking like you've pissed yourself whenever you use them.
Do you even lift bro? :nervous::wenger:

Agree

Dante

Average bang
Lukaku wouldn't have that problem.

Jerch

Wasn't there already a plan for South stand? I think it will be done sooner rather than later. I would like to see that anf not moving to a new stadium.

Solo Toure

I agree with what most people are saying. The stadium needs expansion and a modern refurb.

United should replicate the Sir Bobby Charlton stand to the same height and level as the other stands to complete the bowl effect, I read the capacity will increase to an estimated 95,000, which will be the largest stadium in the U.K and a greater capacity then Wembley.

Then we could concentrate on the cosmetic look of the interior and exterior of the stadium, to give it that modern feel without losing our historical image and identity of Old Trafford.

It's definitely in the plans, but United should come out in the near future with a statement of their intentions.

bleedred

There is no point in renovating it now, I would assume the wise move would be to see how the safe standing rule goes in a few years time and do it altogether.

beedoubleyou

Behind the scenes, Old Trafford looks a lot like a 90s pub. It's not really that important, and I wouldn't swap the old girl for a soulless pop-up stadium, but between the visible rust and uncomfortably tight seating, there's a working men's club vibe that feels more Phoenix Nights than Champions League.

I Believe

everything Nigel Farage told me
Trouble is whilst filling it with around 75000 fans every home game and hosting other non-football events out of season, there is little incentive for the owners to spend money on an upgrade.

The acoustics/PA system are lousy (or its me going a bit 'mutton jeff') sight lines at the top of the third tier awful, also at pitch level its a less attractive view, no display screens (to speak of), toilets antiquated, seat size really for a couple of generations back when only one in 20 was over six foot or over 15st (sorry 95kg). W1 and W2 car parks are a nightmare to get in/out because of the bridge over the canal, all this... yet the pitch is perfect!

I think I remember years ago there was once talk of a massive development to the South Stand (Sir Bobby's Stand now) with plans to incorporate a 4-tier structure and a railway station, taken from a branch line, directly into the ground itself and this would be subterranean feature which on non-match days could be isolated from the main intercity branch lines. The rail line was supposed to be linked to the Hotel development, but that's now gone ahead with Hotel Football, so maybe I was just imagining it?

As for fan disruption, I was one of those moved out of the Stretford end to make way for the third tier, then the paddocks when these were done away with, then the East Stand, when it got an uplift, so upgrade inconvenience over the years meant I've watched matches from every side of the ground at some point.

Oaencha

Trouble is whilst filling it with around 75000 fans every home game and hosting other non-football events out of season, there is little incentive for the owners to spend money on an upgrade.

The acoustics/PA system are lousy (or its me going a bit 'mutton jeff') sight lines at the top of the third tier awful, also at pitch level its a less attractive view, no display screens (to speak of), toilets antiquated, seat size really for a couple of generations back when only one in 20 was over six foot or over 15st (sorry 95kg). W1 and W2 car parks are a nightmare to get in/out because of the bridge over the canal, all this... yet the pitch is perfect!

I think I remember years ago there was once talk of a massive development to the South Stand (Sir Bobby's Stand now) with plans to incorporate a 4-tier structure and a railway station, taken from a branch line, directly into the ground itself and this would be subterranean feature which on non-match days could be isolated from the main intercity branch lines. The rail line was supposed to be linked to the Hotel development, but that's now gone ahead with Hotel Football, so maybe I was just imagining it?

As for fan disruption, I was one of those moved out of the Stretford end to make way for the third tier, then the paddocks when these were done away with, then the East Stand, when it got an uplift, so upgrade inconvenience over the years meant I've watched matches from every side of the ground at some point.
Having an 'Old Trafford station' incorporated into the stadium would be an excellent idea. Has any other stadium done this before?

I Believe

Having an 'Old Trafford station' incorporated into the stadium would be an excellent idea. Has any other stadium done this before?
Not that I am aware of, at least not in the UK! If memory serves me right one of the problems apart from the actual construction/disruption etc. was ownership of the land. The existing rail line that runs parallel to the Ground belong to British Rail (don't know who that would be now?) and they wouldn't or they were not allowed by Government, to sell the land off and United were not going to commit millions to developing land and structures belonging to someone else. I think there were other issues to do with crowd control etc. that finally finished it off. However I am talking nearly 30 years ago, so who knows maybe in todays world things have changed?

Gopher Brown

I was under the impression that the train line was a freight only line.

Andersons Dietician

The thing is if we were to build or refurb OT it would have to be something special. That new slogan First Never Follows kinda means we have to be trendsetters and do something different to me. If we were to build a new stadium then surely it has to be one of the best most technologically advanced stadiums in the world and with that Mercedes stadium costing 1.6 billion dollars then it would be a huge investment.

However if England gets a Euro or WC for example I'd imagine they would be granted money for a facelift as you're not going to have a footballing competition in England and not use OT so maybe that is something they are considering and for now a lick of paint and see how it all unfolds.

I Believe

I was under the impression that the train line was a freight only line.
Yes, it probably is these days back to freight only, there was a time when 'through' passenger trains used it as a branch line whilst upgrades were carried out on the main passenger routes. Sorry, if I've given the impression about knowing the details of this, it was a long time ago!

PaulRich

Jesus. .. why did Wembley cost 4 times what it cost to build the Millenium Stadium? It's criminal.
Basically the Millenium Stadium is the key reason why the builder Laing now goes by the name Laing O'Rourke - the Millenium Stadium broke them.

Having said that Australian builder Multiplex had a full 'mare at Wembley although I believe that the cost of that wasn't helped by the massive escalation in material costs between the massively drawn out tender process and the project hitting site. At one point it wasn't clear if the iconic arch would work either.

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
Basically the Millenium Stadium is the key reason why the builder Laing now goes by the name Laing O'Rourke - the Millenium Stadium broke them.

Having said that Australian builder Multiplex had a full 'mare at Wembley although I believe that the cost of that wasn't helped by the massive escalation in material costs between the massively drawn out tender process and the project hitting site. At one point it wasn't clear if the iconic arch would work either.
Lessons learnt; Iconic projects aren't very lucrative?

Klopp_De_Klown

Hmmm im not sure if you imagined it or not but I can tell you this. A train line into Old Trafford where thoes out to cause trouble on a global level could easily take advantage of, currently would be a non-starter. Even if it was a freight line the fact that it lands under a 20K or whatever seater stand is not going to be an attractive option.

I suppose you can put up the security measures at the entrance point. The dogs would pick up anything long before they could get near the stadium and you could employ all sorts of measures but would they really want a huge internetional incident happening UNDER Old Trafford. I know the technology to bomb proof is old and they could easily be implemented but I cant see it them taking the risk in the current climate.

I Believe

A train line into Old Trafford where thoes out to cause trouble on a global level could easily take advantage of, currently would be a non-starter
Yes your right, I'm sure the present troubles, especially with its global perspectives would render the idea a non-starter.

I was trying to think back to when the extension of South Stand thing was first muted, think it was in the late 70's and early 1980's, it was when the IRA was on the go, but don't think that was ever a consideration? There were regular 'bomb hoax's at OT I can remember the PA announcing "please look around you, if you see anything suspicious notify a steward" and that was that!
What do they say about the past being another Country?

Dan

Built for a fixed price IIRC.

Alfie Robson

I’m hearing they’re adding another three quadrants. Two in the corners, and one in the middle of South Stand. All three quadrants will be joined by another tier of seating. This will mean OT will have five quadrants in total, and the final projected capacity will be 89,750 (ish).

Nate Dogg

Don't Make Me Angry
I’m hearing they’re adding another three quadrants. Two in the corners, and one in the middle of South Stand. All three quadrants will be joined by another tier of seating. This will mean OT will have five quadrants in total, and the final projected capacity will be 89,750 (ish).
Source?

Klopp_De_Klown

Yes your right, I'm sure the present troubles, especially with its global perspectives would render the idea a non-starter.

I was trying to think back to when the extension of South Stand thing was first muted, think it was in the late 70's and early 1980's, it was when the IRA was on the go, but don't think that was ever a consideration? There were regular 'bomb hoax's at OT I can remember the PA announcing "please look around you, if you see anything suspicious notify a steward" and that was that!
What do they say about the past being another Country?
Yea its obviously not something that springs to mind instantly but there was always a threat. Good point.

If the train line was even a small bit away were there is no risk to the structure of the stadium. Personally, I have already said, i predict a new loan and massive redevelopment sometime in the next 5 years.

I would love to see them put up a huge supporters square with loads of cafes bars restaurants enclosing the area as an extension of the ground. You know something large enough to stand 20 or 30K people at least, akin to the Plaza Mayor in Madrid. I would have giant screens showing every game. Think Munich Beer Festival huge benches and tables. Some way of temporary shelters that can be put up or down quickly, well it is rainy Manchester. Multi-teir carpark, both under and above the ground. Obviously the redevelopment of the statium and add on a staging area overlooking the square where any trophies can be shown to the fans and hold loads of concerts and such like things. Putting the supporters on matchday and the community the rest of the time at the centre of the club.

If they did it right and managed and ran it propperly the bloody thing would pay for its self over time. And it would create an atmosphere pre game amoungst the supporters and tourist who would get a chance to learn the chants pre game so they'd know what is being sung. Of course they would need to get the supporters groups and the locals onside so they buy into it cause without them buying into it , the traditional heart and soul of the club and getting involved, it could feel like just another money making scheme. It has to feel thats its something for the supporters.

Oscie

I like that our stadium feels like history. It is. It should.

Of course renovations to keep things up to specification is required but I wouldn't like to see us turn the place into some ridiculous modern eyesore.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
I thought by pure definition a quadrant is two things, 1)something split in 4, and 2) a piece in the extremity of the domain. ie, you can't have a quadrant in the middle of something!

But maybe i'm wrong :)

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
They are just about to phase in more disabled seats over the next 3 years, so any sort of idea of an actual move seems fanciful.

And it's been done to death about the south stand being out of sync with the rest.

When you look at the size of the roofs, can you imagine the sort of operation needed to take those down!

edcunited1878

A completely new stadium will continue to out price and shove out even more people. Season tickets prices will increase and people will be displaced. No thanks.

Take a page out of Wrigley Field and Fenway Park in America. Redevelop OT in phases and try to build commercial areas around it so the club can monetize odd the adjacent land that it supposedly owns.

The issue is that football is 10 months long and two months isn't enough time to even make a dent in renovations and upgrades.

Lentwood

Our facilities are piss poor. Aside from the fact that OT is poorly laid-out and badly catered I would also like to see some technical innovation to enhance "the match day experience"

Why no WiFi? Why no card readers at some of the kiosks? Why are there so few TVs? Also, if we had an App. for the kiosks we could have a collection-only pre-paid kiosk for people to order and pay for food from their seats before collecting at HT. WiFi and an App. would also enable the club to be more interactive with fans which is also great for our sponsors. Imagine sitting down at the table with whatever underpant manufacturer or whatever we get an offer from next and are able to say push notifications will go out to every fan about special fan discounts etc...?

Consider this my application for the position of IT Director :-)

Devil81

Funny I was having this conversation in work only last week whilst looking at Spurs new stadium. I used to see Old Trafford as the premier football stadium in England but now that title is slipping.

It would be awful to leave the stadium behind but we'd certainly benefit if they did build a new stadium on the land the club owns.

I Believe

Multi-teir carpark, both under and above the ground
Sounds like some great ideas there, but not sure the club would shell out for free viewing on giant screens, nice idea though!

For me the big problem outside the ground they have to solve, either for a revamped OT, or a new stadium is that of car parking and travel to and from the ground generally. If its just from the town centre that doesn't take a lot of imagination, but the two biggest car parks are right outside the ground but hemmed in by the bridge over the canal its a 'total bottle-neck' going in and coming out, not to mention vehicle and foot traffic all mixed up!

I like the idea of multi-tiered parking also at some distance from the ground, with direct access/egress from/to arterial roads and motorways. There would need to be continual shuttle services into the ground itself, that way everyone is approaching on foot, or under controlled conditions in buses or trollys, they could even have those lateral escalators (like airports) for old codgers like me, it would avoid the dangers of pedestrians and vehicles all trying to get through the same space at the same time.

Anyway suppose we can all dream, thanks for sharing your thoughts!:)

Flytan

If a new stadium was built you can almost certainly guarantee that naming rights would be involved.

Would the average United fan be okay with that? Wasn't under the impression they would.

Never been to Old Trafford (sadly) but not having to hear a trademarked sponsor is incredibly appealing to me.

stevoc

If a new stadium was built you can almost certainly guarantee that naming rights would be involved.

Would the average United fan be okay with that? Wasn't under the impression they would.

Never been to Old Trafford (sadly) but not having to hear a trademarked sponsor is incredibly appealing to me.
If it was a new stadium i doubt many would care. Most United fans would have a problem with Old Trafford being renamed though.

But i think it's highly unlikely we ever move from Old Trafford for a new stadium. It just doesn't make sense to me. To build a new stadium that matches OT we would be looking at an outlay of somewhere in the region of £600-800m. When i imagine for £150-300m we could redevelop OT increase capacity and give the stadium a modern facelift. And at the same time continue in an iconic world famous stadium packed with history that has been the clubs home for more than a century. Easy choice for me.