MLS Almost Watchable Nowadays

ooeat0meoo

Member of the Muppet Empire
My Happy Place - So Don't Be fecking With Me!
I'm watching the MLS Eastern Conference Philadelphia vs NYC FC
I was seconds from turning it off, but...
1-1
At the 64th minute with both goals coming a minute apart.

The pace has almost reached levels of European standards.
Truth be told, I had a small glass of whiskey, so my take on it may be askew

USREDEVIL

It's definitely getting better. Better ball control and movement. If you live in the U.S. give it a whirl for your local team. I'm an LA Galaxy fan. DOn't follow them like I do United but I support them. Used to be a season ticket holder but life got in the way.

ooeat0meoo

Member of the Muppet Empire
My Happy Place - So Don't Be fecking With Me!
Some real quality play... I suggest people check out the highlights of this match.

NYC FC did well in finishing off this match
1-2

NYC has lots of crap sports teams, but this NYC FC team, they're doing amazing stuff.

chiz2kul

1-1

Its absolutely gotten better. Anyone that still sh1ts on it is completely clueless. Yes its still full of defensive errors and some games are a complete bore, but the quality has massively improved.

MrMarcello

In a well-ordered universe...
You might feel different if you had sat through two plus hours of Seattle vs Real Salt Lake last month.

Overall play and quality is still Championship level.

CanadianUtd

Supports
Vancouver, Boston
What is this, the footballing police? Elitist European football fans judging what’s deemed acceptable/watchable nowadays.

Unreal :lol:

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
What is this, the footballing police? Elitist European football fans judging what’s deemed acceptable/watchable nowadays.

Affluent and like minded Europeans have a certain standard, you know?

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular

Isn't pretty much everyone replying here situated in North America? :)

Vanrouge

It's definitely getting better. Better ball control and movement. If you live in the U.S. give it a whirl for your local team. I'm an LA Galaxy fan. DOn't follow them like I do United but I support them. Used to be a season ticket holder but life got in the way.
Don't forget your northern neighbours!

Normandy

Supports
Montreal Impact
Sorry chaps, not every league can be bankrolled by oil barons, oligarchs, and Sky willy-nilly.

Being serious, yeah the league's improving. Easy to forget with how average we are, but the change of focus into being a selling league attracting talent from smaller regions/nations from big names for DPs has been good for the league's growth.

Reactions: Cheimoon

RedDevilCanuck

Quite dreamy - blue eyes, blond hair, tanned skin
Biased but the Toronto FC team with Giovinco should have won the North American champions league (we outplayed Tigres from Mexico in the final) and is still probably the best MLS side of all time.

Giovinco could have played in any top league during his MLS tenure.

MLS is getting better but it's still hard watching after watching Premier games often.

Bottom half Premier league teams still have top managers and high quality international players.

United in sin

Tata Martino's Atlanta United played the best football I've seen in the league for the two seasons he was there (2017-19). It was heavy metal fast paced attacking football with slick passing and a high press. I enjoyed watching them more than United during that time.
With De Boer and Gabriel Hienze gone Atlanta are back playing some scintillating stuff. NYFC, NY Red Bull, Philadelphia Union and LAFC have played some good football in recent seasons

Vanrouge

Biased but the Toronto FC team with Giovinco should have won the North American champions league (we outplayed Tigres from Mexico in the final) and is still probably the best MLS side of all time.

Giovinco could have played in any top league during his MLS tenure.

MLS is getting better but it's still hard watching after watching Premier games often.

Bottom half Premier league teams still have top managers and high quality international players.
You say Giovinco and I raise you Alphonso Davies. And not only did MLS produce Alphonso, but Canada produced Alphonso (and we might be saying similar things about Tajon Buchanan soon too).

RedDevilCanuck

Quite dreamy - blue eyes, blond hair, tanned skin
You say Giovinco and I raise you Alphonso Davies. And not only did MLS produce Alphonso, but Canada produced Alphonso (and we might be saying similar things about Tajon Buchanan soon too).
Buchanon will be playing in England soon enough. As will David from Lille who scored again today and already has a ligue 1 title.

Carolina Red

Staff
1-1

It has gotten a lot better.

It isn’t the EPL, but it also isn’t an assault on the eyes anymore.

Redandwhite22

Supports
Arsenal
Davies is just so good and ridiculously fast—like Aubameyang in his prime w another gear that no one else has—I wonder if he’s happy playing back. He certainly could be a star as a striker on counter-attacking team.

The level of talent in US and MLS is only going to keep improving on a relative basis as the culture and experience of this generation is now promoting better development and one sport focus. Obviously it will never compare to the EPL, but there’s no reason MLS can’t move up.

darko

A few years back I was watch First Divudion Scottish League and the energy was good and the match was enjoyable. It's not the bid time so many people would just ignore it. That fact is, most matches are not that great when compared to other forms if entertainment.

Vanrouge

Davies is just so good and ridiculously fast—like Aubameyang in his prime w another gear that no one else has—I wonder if he’s happy playing back. He certainly could be a star as a striker on counter-attacking team.

The level of talent in US and MLS is only going to keep improving on a relative basis as the culture and experience of this generation is now promoting better development and one sport focus. Obviously it will never compare to the EPL, but there’s no reason MLS can’t move up.
I agree with every word. As a Whitecaps fan (United first, of course), I've watched Davies since he was fifteen years old. You could see it the moment he stepped on that field. A boy among men, yet it almost looked the other way around. Astonishing.

RedDribble

Supports
Dortmund, Barcelona
Maybe if they continuously invest they could reach the likes of Portugal Leagues.

However, they need to establish themselves as the best league in America first which is not going to be easy.

lex talionis

Still cracks me up that NYCFC play at Yankee Stadium. The seating position with the outfield makes it look so strange.

The orientation of the pitch to the seating is absurd, but the location of the stadium is mint. In the Bronx, minutes away from Manhattan by subway. And despite being renovated a few years ago still retains historic character than no other MLS squad can claim. That said, the atmosphere Providence Park in Portland, Oregon is incredible. I go to about 3 or 4 Timbers matches per year, though not this season as I'm being really careful due to Covid. Go Timbers! I have a feeling Timber Joey will be kept busy.

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
The orientation of the pitch to the seating is absurd, but the location of the stadium is mint. In the Bronx, minutes away from Manhattan by subway. And despite being renovated a few years ago still retains historic character than no other MLS squad can claim. That said, the atmosphere Providence Park in Portland, Oregon is incredible. I go to about 3 or 4 Timbers matches per year, though not this season as I'm being really careful due to Covid. Go Timbers! I have a feeling Timber Joey will be kept busy.
Yeah I'm a fan of how they kept certain parts of the stadium - like the outside frieze. It's probably one of my favourite ballparks, along with PNC Park and Minute Maid (not that this has anything to do with football).

NM

No. I watch it form time to time. It's still crap.

MrMarcello

In a well-ordered universe...
Does Portland still have the stray cat colony that resided at the old venue?

JB7

You're probably the first person to ever type "historic character" in a sentence about NYCFC.

And yes, everyone should be behind Timbers for the final.

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness
It was truly no better than league one level not that long ago. Now it’s definitely close, or on a par with the championship. Which is no insult at all. Plus it generally has some nice stadiums and playing surfaces. Even if there are a few artificial turf abominations.

Still, the NYC FC game cited above, all the goals came from errors. The first an own goal. The second a howler from the keeper. The third the right back completely asleep at the wheel. The quality still isn’t on a par with even the lower tier European leagues, but the general play, and as an aesthetic spectacle, has improved greatly. And it’s no longer a cause for mirth or patronisation.

I think the greatest improvement has come from (a) the pace of the game becoming much more demanding, and giving it a uniqueness similar to the PL in style, and (b) the move away from aging European stars on a retirement tour, and instead recruiting more emerging talents from South America. It’s slowly becoming a breeding ground for European clubs to scout. Which is only good for the league. It means it’s started to be taken seriously.

The fact we are seeing coaches from there come to European football should speak volumes about how much more sophisticated the league has become.

Thunderhead

Supports
City
Watching the MLS final, Portland v NYC 0-0 at the moment but an entertaining enough game, plenty of endeavour and bits of skill and nice play

Edit NYC one up, good delivery, nice header but the 'keeper should probably have done better

NYC player stuck in the face from a fullish can, no need for that

Zen

Still cracks me up that NYCFC play at Yankee Stadium. The seating position with the outfield makes it look so strange.

Is this a permanent thing? I've not been to Yankee Stadium due to mostly going NY November-January... but looks like I missed the boat on this two weeks ago by one day(went on the 22nd Nov), I did look at fixtures but never realized it was in Yankee Stadium :lol:

Might try this next year, unless I change my preference and go in summer.

Thunderhead

Supports
City
Is this a permanent thing? I've not been to Yankee Stadium due to mostly going NY November-January... but looks like I missed the boat on this two weeks ago by one day(went on the 22nd Nov), I did look at fixtures but never realized it was in Yankee Stadium :lol:

Might try this next year, unless I change my preference and go in summer.
Think they're still looking at building a purpose built stadium but new York isn't exactly cheap