MNF with Pochettino

Okey

Ole is't going anywhere soon.
I wouldn't bet on it. A loss to Everton would mean 7 points from 7 games and a goal difference of - 5 or worse. With a 2-week international break, I wouldn't rule out anything.

stevoc

At this point who can turn us around?

Only Pep, Klopp and maybe Zidane. Though Pep would need 1/2 billion investment, so even that's not a guarantee.

Everyone else is a gamble. So might as well get someone young and hungry. Aside from Poch, only Rose, Ten Hag and Hasenhuthl fit the bill.
Every manager is a gamble you are right. But for me Pochettino isn't that much of a gamble i think he would keep in the top 4 on a consistent basis but not much more.

I think we should stick with Ole and see where it leads in 2-3 years or hire one of europes top upcoming coaches for a longer term project. And by longer term i mean give them more than 18 months before losing our shit and looking to change manager again. Or panic and sack the manager because of a bad start to a season.

stevoc

Put it this way, I reckon our best player was our goal post ....they hit the woodwork a record 5 times
So they missed the target at least 5 times. Interesting.

But seriously how were they robbed again I do genuinely forget?

croadyman

Every manager is a gamble you are right. But for me Pochettino isn't that much of a gamble i think he would keep in the top 4 on a consistent basis but not much more.

I think we should stick with Ole and see where it leads in 2-3 years or hire one of europes top upcoming coaches for a longer term project. And by longer term i mean give them more than 18 months before losing our shit and looking to change manager again. Or panic and sack the manager because of a bad start to a season.
Stick with Ole and we are still going to be losing every time he faces a team who won't just open up and leave space in behind like he needs

Web of Bissaka

The only thing United fans are against him is his ability to win trophies isn't it?
And also some may say not a fan of his style of football.

He proved to be very good manager with tight budgets, limited spending, so according to popular sayings that Ed and co doesn't support the manager enough financially... sounds like he'll be a good fit here. Brought up a level out of his two previous teams and since we're currently the so called the 3rd best team in England... do the maths.

tomaldinho1

Yet this place screamed that the Glazers weren't backing Ole when we had a sub-par summer transfer window.

What makes you so confident that we would give Poch the money when we seemingly were tight with the money with a club legend in Ole. If they won't give Ole the money, why would they give Poch. Come on now.....
I think it was pretty 50/50 - there are a lot of fans who think every manager has been backed well. That is a separate issue to the Glazer ownership model (because there is an argument they could invest more into the club) but in terms of managers being given adequate transfer kitties to spend, I honestly don't see the counter argument. We also bid £90m for Sancho so, honestly, how can people sit here and say our managers haven't been backed. Off the top of my head, Shaw, Maguire, Pogba, Bruno, Martial, Fred, AWB were all £50m plus and/or transfer records for their age (Shaw was most expensive teenager, Maguire CB, Pogba was world record at time) and that's not even bringing the multitude of ~£30m signings like Mattic, Lindelof, Bailly, VdB, Mkhi, Herrera etc.

stevoc

They weren't robbed but we definitely didn't deserve to win the game.
Yeah thats a much better description of the game mate. I agree, you can't get robbed by having shit strikers.

stevoc

Stick with Ole and we are still going to be losing every time he faces a team who won't just open up and leave space in behind like he needs
Well i doubt every time, the lack of quality wingers in the squad certainly doesn't help. But yeah he needs to vastly improve his results against defensive teams like Arsenal.

romufc

I have been 50/50 about Poch because of the last 2 years at Spurs. After listening to him yesterday, I am alot more inclined to take him as our next manager.

Just some stats that were brought up by Sky Sports. Southampton were the hardest working team then Spurs from bottom they because the top running team.

Right now, we are too easy to play against, he would make us hard to play against.

I understood why Spurs dropped off alot more after his explanations about the stadium and trophies.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
Jeez if only he could cope when teams pressed us and motivate the players then could understand the clamour for him staying in a job
He's had 1 full season in charge and finished 3rd, also reaching 3 semi finals. That's not so bad. And there's time to turn this start to the season around. As Ole himself said we didn't win our 3rd PL game till game week 10 last season. We could win it on GW 7 this time around. So by GW 10 we could be better off than we were last season.

Fans don't have any patience anymore. You'll all be asking for the next guy to be sacked within 18 months no doubt.

croadyman

Well i doubt every time, the lack of quality wingers in the squad certainly doesn't help. But yeah he needs to vastly improve his results against defensive teams like Arsenal.
We should have been targeting someone more realistic price wise than Sancho then

Strelok

There is still people who think just changing managers can make us come back to our glorious days :eek: ?

The ones who can won't come. Look at Klopp refusing us and you'd see. Any manager good enough and serious enough about their career won't come to this circus. Period.

croadyman

He's had 1 full season in charge and finished 3rd, also reaching 3 semi finals. That's not so bad. And there's time to turn this start to the season around. As Ole himself said we didn't win our 3rd PL game till game week 10 last season. We could win it on GW 7 this time around. So by GW 10 we could be better off than we were last season.

Fans don't have any patience anymore. You'll all be asking for the next guy to be sacked within 18 months no doubt.
I just want someone to manage this club who can cope with opponents playing different styles and actually coach players to improve

stevoc

We should have been targeting someone more realistic price wise than Sancho then
Perhaps easy to say in hindsight but no team could plan with the pandemic in mind. The club had obviously been working on the Sancho deal for a while.

I see no harm in still going after Sancho thinking that Dortmund would drop their price a bit, where the club did fail was chasing him for too long when it became apparent that Borrussia were going to stick to their price.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
There is still people who think just changing managers can make us come back to our glorious days :eek: ?

The ones who can won't come. Look at Klopp refusing us and you'd see. Any manager good enough and serious enough about their career won't come to this circus. Period.
It's like all the fans put all their hope and faith in a new manager and immediately forget the root of the problem which is harming our previous managers, Ed Woodward.

I really hope Jose Mourinho takes Spurs all the way this season. It would be the best thing to happen to Spurs for decades obviously but it will also be a great thing for this club too as it will make Ed Woodward look an even bigger fool.

romufc

That's a lie.

Just because one manager supposedly said no? Was Klopp even really targetted by Manutd? It was clear after LVG, Jose was the man.

Secondly, everyone said that about Chelsea because they keep firing managers, but anyone offered the job always accepts.

Newcastle, same thing and they managed to get Rafa.

Dont be naive, we are still a very big pull for managers.

Gavinb33

I think it's clear that AWB is much better at defending than he is going forward. But he has to get credit for keeping Chilwell quiet on that right hand side and he made a couple of crucial interceptions when Chelsea tried to slide through balls in between him and Lindelof.

Attacking wise, he's still young for a fullback so time is on his side. He may not be the most natural or fluid on the ball stylistically but he can put in a threatening ball every now and then - there was one in the first half that Mendy did well to hold on to. Didn't he bag something like 4 assists last season? That's more to come from AWB for sure
Backed by science? He has no record of spending big and it paying off. He also happend to have one of the best strikers in the league come through the academy
. His biggest money signings (might be wrong) Sanchez and Ndombele have been extremely poor.

As above, Sanchez, ndombele, Lo Celso. Heck even sissoko for 30m, lucas 25m. He's bought a lot of trash as well - Wimmer, Janssen, Stambouli. He's lucky levy has been able to get money back for them.
When you by player like Wimmer and Janssen and others its absolute crap shoot and you buy them because your squad is bare and you have to get players in that you think can do a job

Pav1878

The signings don't come into it. Ole has been given money and chose to buy Maguire and James .

He could have signed Partey but he didn't.

Can't complain that we didn't get Sancho etc because I didn't see Sancho playing for arsenal on Sunday either. You have to show what you can do as a coach with the squad you have. Greater than the sum of your parts and all that.

Ole is a nice guy, but have doubts about his coaching ability, as has been mentioned many times before.

We need a coach with a strong footballing identity. With Ole it seems whenever his team is showing progress, it starts to go backwards again.

I hope he turns it around and we can look back at this time as part of the process but most don't feel that will be the case.

That's the difficult part of it all, knowing when to sack a manager and when to give more time. You don't want to sack a manager if he is on the cusp of something really good either.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
I just want someone to manage this club who can cope with opponents playing different styles and actually coach players to improve
I think the forwards have improved. Rashford n Martial put up great numbers last season. Fred has improved under Ole for sure. He looked the flop of the century under Jose and now he looks a good squad player at the very least.

What you want is instant success. You want immediate results and title challenges. We're a long way off where we need to be and can I remind you that Ole has only been at the club for just under 2 years. Who do you attribute the previous 5 years of failure to? And one of the previous managers, Jose, has an outside chance of the title this season. Maybe it's not the managers then eh?

croadyman

I just don't trust his coaching and motivating ability at all and only see us appointing Poch when he gets sacked.

Yes we should be casting the net further but then that should have happened when Ole was caretaker and it clearly didn't.

croadyman

I think the forwards have improved. Rashford n Martial put up great numbers last season. Fred has improved under Ole for sure. He looked the flop of the century under Jose and now he looks a good squad player at the very least.

What you want is instant success. You want immediate results and title challenges. We're a long way off where we need to be and can I remind you that Ole has only been at the club for just under 2 years. Who do you attribute the previous 5 years of failure to? And one of the previous managers, Jose, has an outside chance of the title this season. Maybe it's not the managers then eh?
I attribute the failure to the fact we have changed styles so many times and none of them being consistent enough.

Obviously the board have to take a lot of the blame as they sadly are the reason we missed out on two of the best managers in the world.

However they clearly took the cheap option in Ole rather than waiting until the end of that 18/19 season and appointing someone more qualified at this level.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
I attribute the failure to the fact we have changed styles so many times and none of them being consistent enough.

Obviously the board have to take a lot of the blame as they sadly are the reason we missed out on two of the best managers in the world.

However they clearly took the cheap option in Ole rather than waiting until the end of that 18/19 season and appointing someone more qualified at this level.
And if Jose wins the title this year with Spurs??? How would that make Ed Woodward and the club look?

Ed Woodward is miles the biggest issue at the club along with the owners. Poch coming in wont be good enough either and you'll all want him sacked too.

Focusmate

Supports
Non League
I think theres too much smoke with Poch for there not to be some sort of understanding that he will come in after Ole.
Am not against him as our next manager but I struggle to believe that he will be levels above Ole.
He has been managing since 2009 without a trophy. Its not even so much the lack of silverware as his comments and attitude in his last couple of seasons at Spurs. He just doesnt seem to have that ruthless desire and determination to win and at Man United he will need to win things.
Also he managed very well on a budget for a long time but when he did splash the cash towards the end, thats when everything went awry in the dressing room.
I actually think he suits a “nearly” club like Spurs more than a must win club like United.
Openminded partly as I think its a done deal and he will be here next summer but far from convinced!

Arka_BleedingRed

Backed by science? He has no record of spending big and it paying off. He also happend to have one of the best strikers in the league come through the academy
. His biggest money signings (might be wrong) Sanchez and Ndombele have been extremely poor.

As above, Sanchez, ndombele, Lo Celso. Heck even sissoko for 30m, lucas 25m. He's bought a lot of trash as well - Wimmer, Janssen, Stambouli. He's lucky levy has been able to get money back for them.
During his 5 years at Spurs, Poch has bought so many quality players at a comparatively cheap price and most important of all, improved them significantly. And, of course, every manager will have their hits and flops, including Klopp and Pep etc. It is basically impossible for any manager to predict which players succeed and which ones fail to adapt. Ndombele and Lo Celso are hardly flops, they are starting to show their quality even under Jose.

Overall, during his tenure, Poch has done a fantastic job at Spurs, provided stability and brought a tumbling Tottenham into recognition and praise, showed steady attacking intent and improvement, developed players, was a pretty good tactician, and despite not winning a trophy came close to the league and UCL. He would be an upgrade over Ole for sure.

In the current scenario, other than Klopp, there is not one single coach in the world who guarantees trophies, not even Pep. I am not a huge fan of Poch but he has shown plenty of potential to be considered as an option for a top club. At this time, our squad needs a good modern coach with very good tactical, attacking acumen and Poch is one of the very few ones, is available now and also has a successful CV in the PL as an added bonus.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
And if Jose wins the title this year with Spurs??? How would that make Ed Woodward and the club look?

Ed Woodward is miles the biggest issue at the club along with the owners. Poch coming in wont be good enough either and you'll all want him sacked too.
It has nothing to do with Ed. Jose deserved to go.

Now blame would be on Ed if he don't sack Ole on time and save the season

Strelok

That's a lie.

Just because one manager supposedly said no? Was Klopp even really targetted by Manutd? It was clear after LVG, Jose was the man.
https://www.goal.com/en-ie/amp/news...d-red-devils-crazy-/6cb0l4ouw9y41byr0p01z7lfd

Secondly, everyone said that about Chelsea because they keep firing managers, but anyone offered the job always accepts.

Newcastle, same thing and they managed to get Rafa.

Dont be naive, we are still a very big pull for managers.
Yes, but not the ones who are good enough to win titles. Such ones would only come to clubs where winning titles are the first priority. Ours simply is money.

For Chelsea their top priority was and always has been football, to win titles. I don't mind changing manager. But it would be the same for the last seven years. Rinse, repeat. So I was surprised at the fact there is still people who believe just changing managers will somehow magically make us come back to our glorious days. We need much much more than just a new manager to do so. I don't think I'm naive, such people are.

Btw do you realise how low was Rafa's career when he came to Newcastle? do you know where he's working now? China mate.

Clubs sure pick managers. But managers, they pick club too. Especially good ones.

Sanchez7

Sorry if this has been posted earlier but thought it was interesting graphic from yesteryday's episode. It highlights how good of a job Poch did at Spurs but also a reminder of how poorly we have spent. The points difference v/s City for what is almost similar net spend is crazy. Liverpool and Klopp as we know have been terrific but helped massively by Coutinho's transfer in these stats.

I think theres too much smoke with Poch for there not to be some sort of understanding that he will come in after Ole.
Am not against him as our next manager but I struggle to believe that he will be levels above Ole.
He has been managing since 2009 without a trophy. Its not even so much the lack of silverware as his comments and attitude in his last couple of seasons at Spurs. He just doesnt seem to have that ruthless desire and determination to win and at Man United he will need to win things.
Also he managed very well on a budget for a long time but when he did splash the cash towards the end, thats when everything went awry in the dressing room.
I actually think he suits a “nearly” club like Spurs more than a must win club like United.
Openminded partly as I think its a done deal and he will be here next summer but far from convinced!
What is he supposed to win at Espanyol and Southampton? Sarri only started winning trophies when he went to bigger clubs i.e Chelsea and Juve.

I'm not 100% sold on Poch but this no trophy talk is just silly tbh.

MattofManchester

So this is where we're at:

Max Allegri: Won trophies, but don't want because his football isn't entertaining and he's pragmatic.

Mauricio Pochettino: Plays entertaining football but hasn't won trophies so don't want.

Get a fecking grip.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
It has nothing to do with Ed. Jose deserved to go.

Now blame would be on Ed if he don't sack Ole on time and save the season
Delusional. Ed Woodward went against Jose's plans and ideas and that upset him and led to the fallout.

Why employ Mourinho if you don't him to do it his way?

It was all on Woodward. He's the biggest problem at this club and if you haven't seen that in 7 years you're in denial.

jamesjimmybyrondean

Sorry if this has been posted earlier but thought it was interesting graphic from yesteryday's episode. It highlights how good of a job Poch did at Spurs but also a reminder of how poorly we have spent. The points difference v/s City for what is almost similar net spend is crazy. Liverpool and Klopp as we know have been terrific but helped massively by Coutinho's transfer in these stats.

Christ look at that the money Chelsea received

pacifictheme

Maybe not everyone on the Caf lives in the UK and has sky sports on their telly to hear of it?
True, but America also has MNF for their football. Sky also have stuff on YouTube you could easily stumble across if you are a football fan.

Judas

Open to offers
So this is where we're at:

Max Allegri: Won trophies, but don't want because his football isn't entertaining and he's pragmatic.

Mauricio Pochettino: Plays entertaining football but hasn't won trophies so don't want.

Get a fecking grip.
Does he though.

Maybe I'm harsh on his football because I find him as a bloke just completely uncharismatic and boring.